Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you buy that people wont be able to tell the difference between Clark and Sup

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I quote one of Clark's best lines of the Episode "Hidden in plain sight"

Comment

as others have said the glasses disguising clark is as believable as an alien who looks EXACTLY human, who gains powers from a sun. its a comic book world and you have to suspend belief when it comes to this show. i have and i enjoy the heck out of it! i couldnt be more pleased with how they introduced the glasses and clark explaining his reasoning behind it. could they have introduced the glasses sooner? sure, but they didnt so thats that. im just enjoying the rest of the ride with this show because it will be over before you know it

Comment

Maybe the world won't be able to tell the difference between Clark and Superman (although I don't know how they couldn't figure that out quickly nowadays) but there's no way in hell the people of Smallville and the staff of the Daily Planet won't be able to tell the difference. Seriously, tons of people (including his co-workers) have seen Clark without his glasses and a handful have seen him use his powers. I know Superman doesn't wear a mask but trying to explain why he won't now is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Simba_Muffy
          His explanation made sense! No one wants to believe the guy who works at the paper is Superman. Why would Superman have a job as a Journalist? No one is looking for Superman at the DP!
          Well, in the comics this came up & makes some sense because he's already Superman & after the public finds out about him, they know he's an alien. So knowing that, many people (especially villains) can't fathom the idea that a being as powerful as Superman would have a job & live like a human (they think that he's Superman 24/7).

But in Smallville, especially now that he's not Superman and the public doesn't know the Blur is an alien, they don't have the same perception of him as the public in the comics has of Superman. Which is why Bert in this episode was thinking Clark was the Blur (even Jeff the intern started getting suspicious). And in the comics, Clark was wearing his glasses since he was young. So as a college student & a professional reporter, everyone knew him with the glasses. SV Clark hasn't worn glasses except for very very sporadically until now, so the same wouldn't apply to him.

Still, I don't care anymore & am just glad he's wearing them FINALLY.

Comment

Because its Smallville, I expect that he'll put on glasses, maybe comb his hair differently, and no one will recognize that the Blur looks exactly like the non-bespectacled Clark. Using any type of common sense - no way. Zatanna would have to do him a favor of a world-wide magic memory wipe to be anywhere close to believable.

Now if that's an excuse to get the lovely Zatanna back on the screen, I'm totally good with that idea.

Comment

TOTAL FAIL.

Jeff knew it was him, even with the glasses... did the writers really have to SHOW us that the glasses won't make a difference

Clark Kent should have started wearing them at the BEGINNING of Season 8 when he joined the DP... EVERYONE at work, has ALREADY seen him without GLASSES... it won't work at all.

TOO LITTLE TOO LATE...

what little the movies did to make this a little sensible...

Smallville, WILL NEVER DO now!

Comment

this is the same world where Ollie can just put on shades and a hat and no one notices is him... i'm sure Clark can get away with it lol

Comment

When I look at people who are wearing glasses all the time (myself included) and they take them off, they actually do look different. They look somehow "wrong".

Of course I recognize them but there's certainly something that's (literally) off.

Comment

What's not believable about an alien being a humanoid? Does he have to have six arms just because he comes from another planet?

Like others have said, it's weak original material probably thought up as an after thought by whoever wrote the original comics when they sent out the first issue of Superman on a whim, thinking it would never catch. Then it did, and decades later the Smallville writers at least put some effort into explaining it with a little character. Give them some credit. They could have just had him put on the glasses and that's it. instead, they really put some thought into working the "mild mannered" side of it, with what little they could do.

Someone else was spot on when they said they saved it for this long not to lose out on female Tom Welling fans though.

Comment

I don't even care. I don't think they could come up with a good rationale if they tried, so I'm glad they didn't. Its a show about Superman, AND its Smallville, believability is always going to vary. So, whatevs, he's got a secret identity now! Yay!

Comment

in the show world its dumb but in realitty with him wearing clothes bigger than him and hi trying to not be seen and not get attention the glasses work

Comment

I wear glasses, if I want to hide in public - various games - all I needed/need to do is take them off and suddenly... I blend in and they can't spot me unless they do a really intense double take. Glasses actually work - they change the shape of someone's face.

Comment

no, but I pretend I do so I can enjoy Superman stories.

Comment

Nope. SV has gone way too far with Clark interacting with people without the disguise.

I think this would have worked better:

Originally posted by Exedore
                              Maybe SV should do it like the Wonder Woman triple identity thing in David E Kelley's upcoming series. Basically everyone knows that Wonder Woman is Diana Themyscira, Chairman of Themyscira Industries but what they don't know is that she is also Diana Prince, an insecure assistant who hides behind glasses.

In SV, it won't make much sense that people won't recognize Clark Kent as Superman. So this is what they should do. First Clark resigns from the DP and debuts as SupermanBlur. Everyone will know that farmboy/former DP reporter Clark Kent = SupermanBlur. Then he joins the DP again, this time with glasses & bad haircut, and a completely new identity (e.g. Chester King, Charles LeBlanc, Kirk Quentin*). Because the glasses are so "powerful" as a disguise, no one will know that this new guy is really Clark Kent/SupermanBlur.

*All these names are from Pre-Crisis stories about Hyper-man/Hyperman/Hyperboy.

Last edited by Exedore; 02-19-2011, 01:59 AM.

Comment

/\ Wouldn't work, the identity is to live a somewhat normal life and protect those in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎