Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...Clark Kent is the disguise and he's always been the Blur...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive never read a comic book and even I know that Clark Kent as the disguise went out the window like 3 decades ago.

Comment

I disagree that it's not disrespectful. If it were my kid and he said that his name was "just a word" I'd be insulted and offended

love that line. One of the best lines I've ever heard. I'm so mad how they did that. Clark Kent is just a word. No man, that's a name your parents gave you. The ones that raised you, you don't dismiss it like that. That's kind of disrespectful. If i had a son he said that, i would be kind of hurt.
      THIS!

Comment

but Clark knows where he comes from and is proud of his roots... i think there is a mutual understanding between him and his mother

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
          I'm kind of conflicted about this since Clark is going to turn into what I didn't want and that is a bumbling Clark I'm just going to say that Clark Kent with the glasses is not the real person and is a disguise. Clark Kent without the glasses and Superman is the real person. I guess that gives him 3 sides, imo.
          In truth? The idea that there were three sides was one of the most modern takes on the identity issue and the way SV truly - and naturally - should have gone with it IMO.

Honestly? I blame Goeff Johns for this. He reverted everything back to the Silver Age "Clark-as-disguise" route with the newest take on Clark's origins in Secret Origins, so I had a feeling (because he writes for SV) that the show itself would go that way with Clark - bumbling and all - the minute Johns went that way with it in the comics now because of his influence.
          Last edited by morrigan01; 02-18-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Trying to make Clark into Batman, lol.

Clark is the real persona, Superman is just the channel in which he uses his abilities openly.
            On the other hand, billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne is only a mask, a cover for the true personality which is Batman.

Though, in The Silver Age, Clark Kent was clearly a disguise while Superman was the real persona, so it isn't totally off. I'm just glad he has the glasses, hopefully they will stick around this time.

Comment

Clark just have Chloe erase your identity and be done with it

Trying to make Clark into Batman, lol.

Clark is the real persona, Superman is just the channel in which he uses his abilities openly.
              On the other hand, billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne is only a mask, a cover for the true personality which is Batman.
              LOL this is who I thought of immediately.

Comment

This is disrespectful to who he is. Clark Kent is more than a name, its the persona in which we all are: normal. its what made generations of men and women know and hold the name Clark Kent dear to themselves and hearts. Superman is idolized because its the things he does that make him so much better a person. If Clark didnt have his powers his powers have shown him to be raised as the person that he has always been, Clark Kent, normal everyday guy from Smallville kansas who cares about everyone around him.

Superman is a projection of him showing the world what his parents had taught him, at least it is that way in current comics. By taking up the Superman persona he can protect his loved ones. As far as his enemies know, he has no one to love because he's an alien from another world.

Clark Kent isn't a name. They didn't name him the Blur or Superman. Clark Kent is who he was raised to be....superman is a name created to project his good will on the world. The fact the show jumped over that shows how much they care for Clark Kent as a character

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
                  In truth? The idea that there were three sides was one of the most modern takes on the identity issue and the way SV truly - and naturally - should have gone with it IMO.

Honestly? I blame Goeff Johns for this. He reverted everything back to the Silver Age "Clark-as-disguise" route with the newest take on Clark's origins in Secret Origins, so I had a feeling (because he writes for SV) that the show itself would go that way with Clark - bumbling and all - the minute Johns went that way with it in the comics now because of his influence.
                  I think you might be right.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01

My thoughts exactly. they pretty much got rid of the modern world that they had created just to revert back to the pre-crisis dc universe. its horrible and to be honest i hate bumbling Clark. Dean Cain's Clark Kent proved you can have a great Superman and Clark Kent while not dumbing down either of them.

Comment

This is disrespectful to who he is. Clark Kent is more than a name, its the persona in which we all are: normal. its what made generations of men and women know and hold the name Clark Kent dear to themselves and hearts. Superman is idolized because its the things he does that make him so much better a person. If Clark didnt have his powers his powers have shown him to be raised as the person that he has always been, Clark Kent, normal everyday guy from Smallville kansas who cares about everyone around him.

Superman is a projection of him showing the world what his parents had taught him, at least it is that way in current comics. By taking up the Superman persona he can protect his loved ones. As far as his enemies know, he has no one to love because he's an alien from another world.

Clark Kent isn't a name. They didn't name him the Blur or Superman. Clark Kent is who he was raised to be....superman is a name created to project his good will on the world. The fact the show jumped over that shows how much they care for Clark Kent as a character
                      Wow this is such a great post!

Comment

Originally posted by Theshadow129x

That was beautiful. Kudos on all that you just said.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. they pretty much got rid of the modern world that they had created just to revert back to the pre-crisis dc universe. its horrible and to be honest i hate bumbling Clark. Dean Cain's Clark Kent proved you can have a great Superman and Clark Kent while not dumbing down either of them.
                          I think Dean Cain is hands down the best Clark Kent ever. Maybe not the best Superman, but a really good one.

Comment

This is disrespectful to who he is. Clark Kent is more than a name, its the persona in which we all are: normal. its what made generations of men and women know and hold the name Clark Kent dear to themselves and hearts.
                            The point Clark was making was that the face of Clark Kent, the one who will use the name Clark Kent, will be a disguise. There's no way around it, Clark Kent will now be a disguise from now on because he won't be looking or acting like himself. He just won't. In truth, no Clark Kent is ever acting just like himself when in Clark Kent mode, because he's hiding a part of who he is. Clark Kent is dear to me because of the sacrifice he makes every day to disguise himself from the world. It's something that I think is very relatable, because I think a lot of people feel that they hide who they really are. In short, I don't find it disrespectful. I find it endearing. YMMV.

Martha explained just last week that her son would always be her son as long as he remains honest to who he is inside. A name is just a name. It only means something because of what a person does with it. JMO.

Comment

I thought it played well with what Martha told him last episode about always being her son, etc.

Being adopted, Clark's identity is already more fluid, IMO. He is Clark Kent but he is also Kal-El. And now he is the Blur and soon he will be Superman. People call him different names but who he is remains the same. It is perfect symbolism for a man of principles -- someone whose moral center remains unswayed by situational ethics.

I didn't see him rejecting the Kents or his humanity in that scene. I saw him realizing that his core, that who he is, exists no matter what name he goes by. I didn't see him choosing one side or splitting himself in two. He was transcendent in that moment and I liked it.

Comment

In Smallville, Clark Kent is the real version. He's been trying to run away from Superman for ages.

In the movie, Clark Kent was definitely a disguise for Superman.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎