Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chloe's Return: So far, how do you feel about it?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by time bomb
    Poor writing, this is SV.
    At what point is poor writing accepted as impacting characterization? Something happens that makes a character look bad in one episode...bad writing. Two episodes? ... Still possibly bad writing. Three episodes? ... Um...well...maybe it's still bad writing...? SEVERAL episodes? At what point do you just have to look at that and go, "Okay, this changes how the character is depicted"?

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by BadToad
    No, I'm sorry, but not everybody could see that. One of my biggest problems with Chloe then, and currently, is that I never believe even for one second that she's remorseful about anything she did last season. I've just never believed that, not from her words, or her demeanor, or her attitude. JMO, YMMV
    I not only think she wasn't remorseful about it then, but my suspicion is confirmed by this season. Martha VALIDATING all of Chloe's actions in S8 and S9, and Chloe accepting that validation, enforce the suspicion that we're not supposed to look at Chloe as apologetic about her wrong actions, which I could respect. We're supposed to look at her as being in the right and anyone who has questioned her in the past is WRONG for doing so.

After all, "It's not trust if you ask someone to explain themselves."

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Oh, and in answer to the poll...I find Chloe's return to be exactly as boring, annoying, and inconsistent as I expected it to be.

----- Added 8 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by dcmarriott
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. Chloe believes that the ends justify the means, and has done a number of pretty questionable things - stealing from Oliver, stockpiling kryptonite weapons, spying on her friends - all becasue she thinks she is justified in doig whatever she does because it is for the greater good. Clark, on the other hand, doesn't believe that the ends justify the means, and he showed us that in last year's story arc. Instead of attacking the Kandorians, he chose to befriend them, and last season's finale showed the resutls of that strategy.

Clark has always stood for truth and justice; Chloe, in the last few years, has adopted a tactic of stealth and deception. Chloe's philosophy and Clark's are fundementally incompatable.
    I actually think that there's an interesting story there, if the show had actually embraced the fact that they've written the characters in this way. However, asking Clark - and the audience - to ignore the fact that Chloe's been written this way is both demeaning to him as a character and downright insulting to his intelligence.
    Last edited by Jade4813; 02-17-2011, 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by Jade4813
      At what point is poor writing accepted as impacting characterization? Something happens that makes a character look bad in one episode...bad writing. Two episodes? ... Still possibly bad writing. Three episodes? ... Um...well...maybe it's still bad writing...? SEVERAL episodes? At what point do you just have to look at that and go, "Okay, this changes how the character is depicted"?

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

I not only think she wasn't remorseful about it then, but my suspicion is confirmed by this season. Martha VALIDATING all of Chloe's actions in S8 and S9, and Chloe accepting that validation, enforce the suspicion that we're not supposed to look at Chloe as apologetic about her wrong actions, which I could respect. We're supposed to look at her as being in the right and anyone who has questioned her in the past is WRONG for doing so.

After all, "It's not trust if you ask someone to explain themselves."

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Oh, and in answer to the poll...I find Chloe's return to be exactly as boring, annoying, and inconsistent as I expected it to be.

----- Added 8 Minutes later -----

I actually think that there's an interesting story there, if the show had actually embraced the fact that they've written the characters in this way. However, asking Clark - and the audience - to ignore the fact that Chloe's been written this way is both demeaning to him as a character and downright insulting to his intelligence.
      you are looking in the past, for now and for future I don't see her going to extreme.She stop extreme actions in SS, I see it like a good thing.

Comment

you are looking in the past, for now and for future I don't see her going to extreme.She stop extreme actions in SS, I see it like a good thing.
        Past actions that had severe consequences for Jimmy and others, and that went to nearly sabotage Clark's efforts in dealing with Zod and the Kandorians, that IMO haven't been owned up to by Chloe unless she drags Clark into the blame game, or says that she was doing it to protect him.

Instead of her coming out and admitting that her past actions were wrong and it being shown with genuine sincerity from her end, all that I seen was Clark kissing up to her, apologizing, and telling her that she was an important hero that he and the world needed - aka whitewashing - in the back half of Season 9, which Chloe just went along with without a sliver of objection.

Her excuse has always been that she did what she did to protect Clark, which is a philosophy that was also adopted by Martha as seen in Hostage which later led to that bogus conversation in Beacon for the sole purpose of further validating Chloe's actions. The writer's have flat out done a very poor job with how they always swept Chloe's actions under the rug with many issues, and they've now brought Martha down to that same level so that Chloe and her actions could be justified - just like Clark was brought down to her level last season when he was written to have Chloe lo-jack Lois. It's a cheap, quick fix by the writer's to try to clear things up without any real substance at the expense of Clark and Martha before Chloe skips along on her way out of the series, and that's all that it is. Even the show cannon is being revised and retconned to glorify her and to clear her name.

As far as Chloe being the one to bring the Suicide Squad down to their knees and reforming them, that's just a complete load of...

JMO
        Last edited by HopeforTomorrow; 02-18-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by thelane
          MOD EDIT
          So far, her return has been underwhelming, and that's the kindest way I can put it. I was wondering, what people thought of her return so far. Good? Bad? Boring? Amazing?
          I feel annoyed

Comment

• get rid of her, she is useless

Comment

Why would she, if there was no lesson to be learned from going to extremes other than, "You were then and always are 100% right, Chloe!"?

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎