No announcement yet.

SV = Strong Women, Weak Men

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Clana4Life
    Something I've noticed, particularly this season - the writing for the women is very strong. We have independent, self-sufficient women. Tonight shows us this with Martha, Chloe and Lois.
    True of "Beacon". Not true of the series as a whole. And even in "Beacon", we've got Lois learning how to bake muffins for her man.

Comment

• Originally posted by actaeon
      True of "Beacon". Not true of the series as a whole. And even in "Beacon", we've got Lois learning how to bake muffins for her man.
      She's a good little Stepford Wife

Comment

Lois wasn't learning to bake for Clark. She was trying to impress Martha. It was a one time deal to make good with her fiance's mother. Lois has chosen to bake for Martha in order to impress her from the beginning (see: Lucy and Rage)

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Dyanara
        She's a good little Stepford Wife
        Lois wasn't baking for Clark so the "Wife" part doesn't fit, IMO. Also, do Stepford Wives normally compile list of suspects and attempt to get articles published in the midst of baking?

I'm more than a little troubled at the implication that if a woman wants to learn how to bake or cooks the occasional meal for her fiance/husband/partner, she's automatically stepford and anti-feminist.
        Last edited by ginevrakent; 02-14-2011, 03:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyanara
          This isnt about a good man having a good woman, this is about Clark being a whiny pushover who needs his hand held every season for 10 freakin years! He always needs someone to protect him or encourage him or tell him what to do. Once or twice a season is fine, but every damn episode is exhausting and will make a girl want to b1tch slap him!
          I don't see it that way. I see the independence and hero in Clark. It isn't Clark's fault that people want to try to protect him and give him advice without him asking for it. He listens politely and he can take it or leave it like a gentleman would. I didn't see anyone hold his hand on the hundreds of saves including the world several times over the years. I don't have a problem with Clark but to each their own.

Comment

I'd add Collateral to that list as well, and we'll see how next week goes. I feel like we have 10 seasons of strongly written female characters. Of course they are imperfect, but they don't generally come across as weak. As far as Lois baking, well, I don't think it diminished her as a strong female character. I'm interested in seeing if she gets any storylines where she's writing articles on-screen again - articles besides those about the Blur, now that the votes are in and heroes are no longer a target. I know that iconically speaking, Lois' articles about Superman are a huge part of her storyline, but those were not the only articles she ever wrote.

----- Added 12 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Dyanara
            This isnt about a good man having a good woman, this is about Clark being a whiny pushover who needs his hand held every season for 10 freakin years! He always needs someone to protect him or encourage him or tell him what to do. Once or twice a season is fine, but every damn episode is exhausting and will make a girl want to b1tch slap him!
            I agree with this. My point wasn't that he doesn't have good women in his life, it's about how the character comes across on the show. And for me they are presenting Clark as weak. I'm happy to agree to disagree with those of you who feel that he is the epitome of strength and heroism. It's just very telling for me when the super-hero's own mother and best friend think that he needs constant help, watching and protecting. Although I suppose he's acted in a way that makes them feel that way too. And if Lois and Tess have a similar conversation either together or independently, it's completely over in my book. I don't see a huge comeback for Clark from that. Maybe they to have already had this conversation and I just missed it. If SV was my only introduction to Superman, I'd not likely be the huge Superman-fan that I am, particularly with respect to what's happening at this late stage of the game on the show. I'm so glad that I have all of the Superman movies (including animated stories) to remind me of what Superman is truly like.
            Last edited by Clana4Life; 02-14-2011, 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by Clana4Life
              I'm interested in seeing if she gets any storylines where she's writing articles on-screen again - articles besides those about the Blur, now that the votes are in and heroes are no longer a target. I know that iconically speaking, Lois' articles about Superman are a huge part of her storyline, but those were not the only articles she ever wrote.
              It looks like [SPOILER]next week both Lois and Clark will be working on a story about a serial killer, so there's that.[/SPOILER] Also, you're absolutely right, Lois Lane's articles about Superman are a huge part of her storyline. This is how Lois Lane was described in a who's who at The Daily Planet comic book panel:
              Lois Lane is known as the only reporter Superman gives interviews to, once a low-level reporter cramped in a desk in the corner behind the coffee machine, Lois Lane made her name with her reports and editorials condoning Superman and condemning Lex Luthor.
              Since Lex Luthor hasn't really been around, it seems it would have been difficult for Lois to meet the latter iconic benchmark. However, with Lionel Luthor back in town, I'm sure Lois will start pursuing the Luthors with the same passion and determination she went after Lex in Season 7.

----- Added 9 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Clana4Life
              It's just very telling for me when the super-hero's own mother and best friend think that he needs constant help, watching and protecting. Although I suppose he's acted in a way that makes them feel that way too.
              Last year Clark repeatedly balked at Chloe's idea of protecting him. Clark was also upset with his mother with her behavior on his behalf. If he had heard what Martha and Chloe said about him in Beacon, I'm sure Clark would have had a few words of his own to share.

And if Lois and Tess have a similar conversation either together or independently, it's completely over in my book. I don't see a huge comeback for Clark from that.
              Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen.

Maybe they to have already had this conversation and I just missed it.
              Nope.

If SV was my only introduction to Superman, I'd not likely be the huge Superman-fan that I am, particularly with respect to what's happening at this late stage of the game on the show. I'm so glad that I have all of the Superman movies (including animated stories) to remind me of what Superman is truly like.
              After rewatching the animated series, some of the recently released animated films, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, and reading every major Superman comic from the last decade, I can assure you Smallville is closer to depicting what Superman is truly like than a host of other media.
              Last edited by ginevrakent; 02-14-2011, 05:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Your right Clana4Life, atleast we have the previous 7 decades to fall back on to remind us that Superman is not as weak as Smallville has made him out to be. I don't know if I have said it in this thread or not but his portrayal as weak is due to the stalling as well as the writers being more in love with the females than the men. Perhaps they are so worried about being modern and respecting the women that they forget to do a balancing act. A woman does not have to be strong at the expense of a weak man whose hand she has to hold. I mean going through the list of men on this show the only ones who don't seem to become weak are Jonathan and Lionel and I admit I was absent for most of the Martha/Lionel debacle so I can't really speak on that.
                When it comes to Oliver I think the problem with him is wanting to build up Chloe as well as having no idea what to do with the character of Oliver at all. Oliver was once an incredibly strong man even when he was with Lois and Tess; then he gets with Chloe and he is like a dog on a leash, I haven't seen anything as pathetic as that since Chimmy.

Comment

Your right Clana4Life, atleast we have the previous 7 decades to fall back on to remind us that Superman is not as weak as Smallville has made him out to be.
                  We're all cognizant of the fact that the 70+ years of mythology in question mostly consists of stories that are not origin stories, right? The comics, animated series, 90s television show, and films all depict a Superman who, well, is Superman.

I also have to reiterate that the enemy Clark is up against this year - public antipathy towards heroes - is consistently the number one source of Superman's self-doubt and lack of faith in the comics and other media. The majority of the 70+ years of Superman stories do not repeatedly throw this enemy at him, which is why he has periods when he is not so reliant on support and encouragement.

Clark hasn't been excessively weak this season compared to his mythological counterparts. His weakness this season is absolutely consistent with the emotional state of mind every Superman enters when he confronts public backlash. JMO. YMMV.

Comment

When it comes to Oliver I think the problem with him is wanting to build up Chloe as well as having no idea what to do with the character of Oliver at all. Oliver was once an incredibly strong man even when he was with Lois and Tess; then he gets with Chloe and he is like a dog on a leash, I haven't seen anything as pathetic as that since Chimmy.
                    yeah, this is the main reason I hate Chollie with passion.

Comment

• I liked Oliver better in early seasons because he took charge. It does seem the
                      writers like to portray strong women,which is OK but lets not make the men bow
                      down to the women. It seems to me men in TV are a little too meek for my taste.
                      Strong,domineering women with passive men are a turn off. You see it all the time
                      on series shows.

Comment

• Even women fight better than these men in this show do. For example Tess Mercer and Lana's fight scene, Lois vs. Tess, Chloe vs. Tess.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎