No announcement yet.

Martha/Chloe Scenes: OOC & Revising History

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HopeforTomorrow
    ... I had a feeling that there would be a Martha kissing Chloe's butt moment, but at least it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. At least it's out of the way...
    Yeah, Martha had to take her turn like everyone else I guess. The other characters did this in Collateral, especially Lois.

Chloe is the one that Clark needs to always watch other him... 'Mkay.

Comment

I actually liked the scene

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara
        Chloe has been in Martha's orbit since the beginning in season one. You are absolutely correct that Lois and Martha have had more on screen relationship moments. If the standards being used for whether two characters have a relationship is that all interaction must occur on screen Lois wins hands down. Because as we know. Nothing ever happens off screen and the writing team never make any references to actions or happenings that don't specifically occur on screen. IMHO, there is no retcon and I stand by my previous post.
        I agree completely. I don't get what the problem is here. If anyone is going to share scenes with Martha, like the one we saw tonight, it's going to be Lois. In fact, she got the same treatment back in Hostage when Martha showed up with Perry White.

This is NOT to say that Chloe didn't ever share similar scenes with Martha, we just never saw that many, which is why Martha pointed out that she's been keeping any eye on Chloe since she left for Washington.

Some people just need to get over it.

I mean, Chloe crossed paths with Perry White long before Lois and probably shared more scenes with him in Perry, but you don't see people questioning Lois's relationship with him or why he seemed to take a shine to her last season do you?
        Last edited by Aries83; 02-11-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah I took that scene as two mothers coming together as well.

Basically Martha & Chloe = watching over.... and Lois = standing beside him through thick and thin

Comment

that scene was a bit weird to me as well.

Comment

I think it was just weird because I felt that most of the end of her message about watching over Clark was something she should be saying to Lois. I think she said something along the lines of "who better" and I was just thinking that the woman he was going to marry was probably the best candidate to watch his back. Idk, I felt they laid it on too thick considering that they'd never built up an onscreen relationship for Martha and Chloe for the two to suddenly be grinning over the way they've paved the way for Clark to fulfill his destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara
                I completely disagree with the OP. This was not OOC or a rewrite of their relationship. I believe people need to rewatch Vengeance from season 5. This is the episode immediately following Reckoning. While Martha and Chloe have not had a lot of direct on screen relationship scenes through the years their interaction in this specific episode specifically defines their relationship on screen.
                ITA! Chloe has been there since day one! Why do people have to nitpick every scene! I thought it was very appropriate. The relationship with the Kents and Chloe has to be implied. Not everything has to be onscreen. Anybody who has watched this show from the beginning know that Chloe has been intertwined with the Kents since she moved to SV in Junior High. The way Martha's character is, she would have been a mother figure to alot of kids. JMO

Comment

Why wouldn't they rewrite Chloe's history? Her existence has been erased.

Comment

Just like Collateral has retconned Clark and Chloe's history, they're doing the same between Martha and Chloe and they're touching on why Chloe left without word.

Comment

I liked the scene and thought it fit the characters. Clark is closer to Chloe than almost anyone, even Lois. Lana maybe not. Though he treats her terribly.

Comment

Originally posted by Shootza
                        Yeah I took that scene as two mothers coming together as well.

Basically Martha & Chloe = watching over.... and Lois = standing beside him through thick and thin
                        I'm going to adopt your philosophy here.

Originally posted by uncaged
                        I think it was just weird because I felt that most of the end of her message about watching over Clark was something she should be saying to Lois. I think she said something along the lines of "who better" and I was just thinking that the woman he was going to marry was probably the best candidate to watch his back.
                        I agree that's what I thought. Chloe had the reigns sort of handed to her in that Vengeance scene but she really took being his friend and having his back to a level that made her detrimental and unlikeable for me. There were a lot of things I disliked about that convo. But I'll let it go...

Comment

I think it was just weird because I felt that most of the end of her message about watching over Clark was something she should be saying to Lois. I think she said something along the lines of "who better" and I was just thinking that the woman he was going to marry was probably the best candidate to watch his back. Idk, I felt they laid it on too thick considering that they'd never built up an onscreen relationship for Martha and Chloe for the two to suddenly be grinning over the way they've paved the way for Clark to fulfill his destiny.
                          My thoughts Exactly! The writers laid it on a little thick, indeed.

Also, just because Chloe didn't have a mother, doesn't mean she was close to Martha. She seemed to really only be close to CLARK for years. More than even her cousin Lois.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
                            Honestly, one scene in one episode five years ago does not a "close" relationship make.
                            The show probably just trying to relive that moment from Vengeance(which ironically was episode 13 as well). But yeah it never really seemed like MArtha was that close to Chloe on the show otherwise(I think I once did a count that in 6 years Martha and Chloe had like 12 scenes together and many of those where just scnees where they both in and don't communicate)

Comment

I think she said something along the lines of "who better" and I was just thinking that the woman he was going to marry was probably the best candidate to watch his back.
                              I understand what you mean, but I think the reason Martha said that was because Chloe was in on Clark's secret in Season 4 onward, where Lois was just kind of coming into her own as a character. Watching over Clark to me, as far as Chloe is concerned (apart from his parents), means that she's been there whenever Clark needed somebody to talk to about what it was like to carry such a burden. The way Lois was written for the first few years made her unable to do that, which is why she might've thought it was time to thank Chloe for always being there when she couldn't, especially after she left for Washington.

Edit: Also, it's not really that one-sided. Martha also had a heart-to-heart with Lois, even proclaiming that she's "a perfect fit" for Clark.
                              Last edited by Aries83; 02-11-2011, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Chloe's "I left because Clark needed me to" was also a little silly. Her reason for leaving this season changes from one episode to the next. First she was trading herself in for Oliver, then she was staying away to be available to help when the heroes got hooked up the Matrix, now she's left because of Clark. I actually prefered it when it wasn't about Clark. While it's commendable the lengths she goes to for her friend, it was nice to think that her scope had moved beyond Clark and that she had done it for Oliver or for something other than Clark for a change.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎