Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The whole not trusting Clark before they knew his secret theme was just nonsense

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Connor_Kent
    Unlike Lana, Chloe trusted that Clark was doing the right thing when he lied to her and believed he was a good person.
    In Dichotic both didn't trust Clark(I always love the final scene of the episode when he tells them off). Basically anytime in early seasons when the FOTW was after Chloe, she usually got mad at Clark.

As for the Lana/Chloe compairison both of them had different ways of dealing with it. Lana expected the truth and was passive aggressive to Clark about it, while Chloe would usually be somewhat better about it but when she wanted to know she went to extremes way worse then Lana(Zero and Exodus stand out)

Comment

Actually, Chloe does have suspicions that he's hiding something. Not really in season 1 but as season 2 progressed, there were reaction where she didn't understand what just happened and being the reporter she was, she suspected something was up. She figured meteor freak though I'd assume. The episode with the 'truth gas' it becomes VERY obvious that she suspects he's different or hiding something... not sure what season that is though... 3?

Comment

Originally posted by I_am_LEX
        Actually, Chloe does have suspicions that he's hiding something. Not really in season 1 but as season 2 progressed, there were reaction where she didn't understand what just happened and being the reporter she was, she suspected something was up. She figured meteor freak though I'd assume. The episode with the 'truth gas' it becomes VERY obvious that she suspects he's different or hiding something... not sure what season that is though... 3?
        3x18 "Truth"

And even if she only suspected his lying was regarding his adoption, the moment he withstood her truth gas question "What do you keep hiding from me?" - "I can't believe you just asked me that." - "And you didn't answer. Everyone else would have.", she must have known that there's more to it.

But that's the problem with fictional characters. When you don't have someone watching over them, they start to behave inconsitently because new writers don't look at what has been said before.

It's just like with Chloe's mom and when she was admitted. IIRC first Chloe said she was 5. Later she said she left before she was 12. And then it was 1995 in 6x18 "Progeny", which made Chloe 8. And to top it off: It wasn't really that important to change it again. It would have made even more sense when it would have been the 12year old showing her mother her first newspaper article.

The same with Ollie's age (In 6x05 he was the same age as Lex, in 9x04 he became four years younger). I always thought that a show bible was supposed to prevent such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
          In Dichotic both didn't trust Clark(I always love the final scene of the episode when he tells them off). Basically anytime in early seasons when the FOTW was after Chloe, she usually got mad at Clark.

As for the Lana/Chloe compairison both of them had different ways of dealing with it. Lana expected the truth and was passive aggressive to Clark about it, while Chloe would usually be somewhat better about it but when she wanted to know she went to extremes way worse then Lana(Zero and Exodus stand out)
          That's true. I guess it depends on the situation. Chloe dug too far but that seemed like a character trait and she did that with everyone from time to time. Chloe and Lana's were a bit sporadic. For example when Lana wasn't dating Clark and was dating someone else she thought he did some pretty bad things and talked bad about him. Chloe did have her occasional spurts as well but overall I felt she did keep a more level head on the situation. You do make good points though. I think Lois has been the only one to really completely trust Clark and not dig into his past before the secret. That and while my memory is hazy I think Pete had a lot of trust in him and never dug into his secret.

Comment

Honestly, I'm not on either side of that because I see they both made mistakes. They both made some errors in judgement. Clark's decision to try and befriend the Kandorians and try to redeem them was the right decision. Chloe also had a good idea of having a backup plan incase things went bad. Chloe I thought was wrong in putting the trackers into the id. However, even though Clark was right he handled the situation wrong with Chloe. Any time she tried to discuss it, Clark yelled at her or cut her off rudely. She shouldn't had been hiding things but Clark could've handled the situation better and acted like a team member than a boss. This is just how I interpreted it. They both have made mistakes in their friendship but they have both forgiven each other and are ready to move on.
            Exactly trust goes both ways, you have to earn it with your actions! had he been there for her starting from Jimmy's funeral when she needed him, she would have been more open with him, instead she put up guards! We all know what Chloe does when she feels let down by the people she trusted and loved! The ball was in Clark's corner to begin with and he should have kicked it in hers, he however didn't!

Comment

Originally posted by umm
              Exactly trust goes both ways, you have to earn it with your actions! had he been there for her starting from Jimmy's funeral when she needed him, she would have been more open with him, instead she put up guards! We all know what Chloe does when she feels let down by the people she trusted and loved! The ball was in Clark's corner to begin with and he should have kicked it in hers, he however didn't!
              But isn't that judging the game only from watching the last quarter?

She barked at him in 8x06 because he investigated her Freak group and Davis. Sure, he was going about it the wrong way. But at some point in the episode they were both convinced that Davis was the killer. Clark never got this close again until it was too late. But Chloe had the same info he had and then blew it big time when Jimmy came to her with the very same accusations in 8x16.

And then she tried to take matters into her own hands from 8x18 to 8x21. And then it blew up in her face in 8x22.

And yet it's somehow Clarks fault that she prevented him from sending Davis into the PZ and ran away with him (virtual stab in the back) and got shot by his supposed allies (literal stab in the back)?

Why should he feel obliged to make them feel less guilty about this whole mess?

And let's face it, all Chloe basically blamed Clark for that disaster ("Clark's in the Kandorian family now, and I don't want to let his loyalties lead us into another Doomsday scenario."). Even Ollie did more penance than she did.
              Last edited by DJ Doena; 02-05-2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                And let's face it, all Chloe basically blamed Clark for that disaster ("Clark's in the Kandorian family now, and I don't want to let his loyalties lead us into another Doomsday scenario."). Even Ollie did more penance than she did.
                Yeah, that REALLY rubbed me the wrong way. She blamed CLARK for Doomsday.

SHE didn't believe Jimmy about Davis and even Tased him!

SHE stopped Clark from sending Davis to the PZ

SHE ran away with Davis, knowing he was a serial killer

SHE finally split him and LET the Doomsday monster FREE

I don't see how Clark could be blamed for any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                  But isn't that judging the game only from watching the last quarter?

She barked at him in 8x06 because he investigated her Freak group and Davis. Sure, he was going about it the wrong way. But at some point in the episode they were both convinced that Davis was the killer. Clark never got this close again until it was too late. But Chloe had the same info he had and then blew it big time when Jimmy came to her with the very same accusations in 8x16.

And then she tried to take matters into her own hands from 8x18 to 8x21. And then it blew up in her face in 8x22.

And yet it's somehow Clarks fault that she prevented him from sending Davis into the PZ and ran away with him (virtual stab in the back) and got shot by his supposed allies (literal stab in the back)?

Why should he feel obliged to make them feel less guilty about this whole mess?

THANK YOU!
                  QFT!
                  :StandingOvation:
                  I swear the writers and some on here have selective memory.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
                    This was really an insult to our intelligence.
                    a lot of things were an insult to our intelligence on this show. check out "smallville's WTH moments" thread in the general discussion. this show runners don't think very highly of us.

Comment

Originally posted by luckycloisfan
                      Yeah, that REALLY rubbed me the wrong way. She blamed CLARK for Doomsday.

SHE didn't believe Jimmy about Davis and even Tased him!

SHE stopped Clark from sending Davis to the PZ

SHE ran away with Davis, knowing he was a serial killer

SHE finally split him and LET the Doomsday monster FREE

I don't see how Clark could be blamed for any of this.
                      Which is why there are still trust issues between Clark and Chloe and Dinah was right in bringing up the Doomsday incident that costs Henry James Olsen his life. This is why I don't think Clark hasn't completely trust Chloe yet.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
                        I was pretty angry when I heard Clark & Chloe talking about how people who didn't know his secret were able to trust him at that time. I think the writers were on drugs or something. Why wouldn't they be able to trust him if they didn't suspect him of anything? I could care less what Chloe said that deep down she knew Clark was different because that's nonsense when you go back & watch the episodes before Pariah. Especially before & during her deal with Lionel when she would have done anything to find out the truth if she suspected anything.

This was really an insult to our intelligence. The only ones who wouldn't trust him before they knew his secret would definitely be Lex because he did suspect Clark was hiding secrets from him and Lana because Clark was very inconsistent with her romantically & her suspicions after the tornadoes. But Chloe or Lois definitely would have no reason not to trust him before they knew his secret.
                        I don't know. I think you should re-watch the first few seasons. They did an excellent job of showing how Clark keeping his secrets continuously hurt and confused those around him.

And in one of the episodes, I think it was Season 4 (the one with all the nightmares), Chloe says "you were the first to come out of the slumber, and I don't think it's because you're eating your wheaties." And she assures him that she trusts him and he doesn't need to tell her. Then in the Season 5 Premiere she tells him she's always been suspicious.
                        Last edited by bennyjr123; 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyjr123
                          I don't know. I think you should re-watch the first few seasons. They did an excellent job of showing how Clark keeping his secrets continuously hurt and confused those around him.

And in one of the episodes, I think it was Season 4 (the one with all the nightmares), Chloe says "you were the first to come out of the slumber, and I don't think it's because you're eating your wheaties." And she assures him that she trusts him and he doesn't need to tell her. Then in the Season 5 Premiere she tells him she's always been suspicious.
                          I just finished re-watching season 1 about a month ago and will be on Rosetta next. I really didn't see Chloe being hurt by Clark's secret keeping, but it was rather her jealousy that he was into Lana that hurt Chloe & not admitting when he & Lana became an item in Exodus that also hurt her. And the reason why is because she didn't know he had one, except the adoption thing, which was Chloe prying into Clark's business, which is something she's wasn't supposed to do. As for her reason for snooping into it, I think given how she really liked him back then & saw that she had a shot since he wasn't with Lana, I think she thought she could have scored extra points by finding out who his biological parents were. But she didn't expect his reaction to be one of anger.

Her line in Arrival about always being suspicious was a retcon. Like I said, in Rush, Pete & Clark had to spell it out for her for her to understand it (Pete by literally telling her right after Clark demonstrated his powers). If she was suspicious of anything, it was Clark's origin/adoption. And there was nothing blatantly linking his mysterious adoption to the fact that he was an alien. So the notion that Chloe or Lois had to put a lot of trust into Clark to be friends with him before each of them knew his secret when neither suspected him of having powers/etc is just nonsense to me. Clark did do some not so nice things to Chloe every now & then before she knew his secret, but that had nothing to do with his powers or being an alien. Other than those few instances, which everyone on the show had, she had no reason to have doubts about him. Lana is another case, but neither Lois nor Chloe had a reason to have such doubts about him that they needed some extra trust to stay friends with him.
                          Last edited by xrayvision; 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM.

Comment

It's hard to say which girl was more obsessed with Clark in high school, Chloe or Lana. I'm going to lean more toward Chloe just because Lana found time to be interested in other guys whereas Chloe was pretty much centered around Clark. It was that infatuation that made her forgive and believe and depend on him. Heck even Lois didn't trust him, she was always surprised to see him when he showed up, but she didn't believe he was going to be much help. And for the longest time Chloe, Lana, and Lois didn't even know Clark had anything to do with their rescue.
                            Maybe we're supposed to believe that the characters remember things differently than how they actually happened. Heck, I bet Chloe can hardly remember what it was like to know Clark without knowing everything about him.

Comment

Thank you for this post, Xrayvision. I thought this was a ridiculous retcon-Lois stating that Chloe trusted Clark before he told her his secret, and Clark agreeing. They made Chloe out to be this saint who just stood by and waited for him to tell her what was going on, which was not the case one bit.

Chloe from seasons 1-4 bugged the heck out of me because she was nearly constantly guilt-tripping Clark, snooping on him, harassing him and otherwise trying to force his secret out of him. So now we're supposed to believe that she was actually oh so trusting and supportive and so it's hypocritical for Clark to be angry when Chloe keeps a secret from him? Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamsofnever
                                Thank you for this post, Xrayvision. I thought this was a ridiculous retcon-Lois stating that Chloe trusted Clark before he told her his secret, and Clark agreeing. They made Chloe out to be this saint who just stood by and waited for him to tell her what was going on, which was not the case one bit.

Chloe from seasons 1-4 bugged the heck out of me because she was nearly constantly guilt-tripping Clark, snooping on him, harassing him and otherwise trying to force his secret out of him. So now we're supposed to believe that she was actually oh so trusting and supportive and so it's hypocritical for Clark to be angry when Chloe keeps a secret from him? Ridiculous.
                                This double standard stuff with Chloe isn't going to cut it with me. I agree that it was a retcon and I thought to myself - since when has Chloe trust Clark? Lois is not the best person to talk to Clark about Chloe because she wasn't there on what was going on between the two in the first three seasons. Chloe may or may not have answered Clark's questions in the episode, but that doesn't mean that Clark trusts her completely.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎