Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was Lois put into the virtual world?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dyanara
    Im also not buying that Clark would have known it wasn't really Lois, a similar thing happened to Clark in Labyrinth and he couldn't tell a fake Lana.
    Lana wasn't his soulmate though, I believe he would have known if it was a fake Lois.

Comment

I seriously doubt Erica's contract has anything to do with how the writers chose to utilize her character in this episode.

My question was in regards to why the VRA would place her in the same virtual reality with Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
        Imo this episode along with atleast "Patriot" is a good example of why 22 episodes for Lois is too much. Her input to the episode could have easily been given to Clark. Would have showed some progress on the guy as well.
        Not even that. Its how they use her. They put her where she doesn't quite belong. The government could have had her discarded after the funeral so she could hook up with Tess and Emil to derail the VRA people. Inside the virtual reality they should have shown the JLA kicking fake ass regardless of repercussions. Its just mismanaged and it shows a lack of understanding of Clark's strengths and relationships outside of her. I would have liked to see more Clark and Dinah looking after Ollie as well.

Comment

I'm confused as to how Lois didn't belong there? She was of more use in the VR than outside of it. No mention of Tess and Emil doing anything to help either.

Its just mismanaged and it shows a lack of understanding of Clark's strengths and relationships outside of her.
          No it doesn't, not on any level. She gives him strength, nothing wrong with that. Heck Clark on Lois and Clark said once "Being with you is tronger than me alone". My gosh, how many of us in real life give strength to someone we love?

Comment

Originally posted by abbaspice1

1) There is no way Clark would be tricked by a FAKE Lois. There was no need to take that chance.

2) They also took Green Arrow, who also has no special powers. He worked with the heroes, and Lois defended the heroes through print. They probably also knew Lois had dated several heroes in the past, and thought perhaps she would be useful to them.

3) They didn't want Lois to be left int he real world, where she had access to generals, the media, etc. They knew Lois would never let them have a moment's peace when her friends, family and lover are missing.
            This. Since she got caught in the VRA's net and the VRA had evidence that she's involved with the "vigilantes", it's only logical that they'd keep her. At least for a while.

Comment

If Lois wasn't in it? Clark would have freaked out and probably caused problems in the simulated world.

She's a known hero supporter, she's the Blur's fiancee (and they seem to know that), they probably thought keeping her in there with him would help their cause, since it would feel like his life and he probably wouldn't question it.

Plus, Lois on the outside would no doubt cause them MORE problems looking for Clark and everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by LilMo
                Because ED is signed on for 22 episodes
                This.

Where were Martian Manhunter, Zatanna, Stargirl, Bart,etc.? Oh yeah, they have their own series offscreen - which is just another reason that I'm completely against having the JLA/JSA on Clark's show. Mentionings and offscreen development is very cheap (like Roulette), and the producers should have known better than to force these things into Clark's pre-Superman story. What a complete waste, all to the detriment of Clark, and just something that gives Oliver and Chloe something to do to stay "relevant".
                Last edited by HopeforTomorrow; 02-06-2011, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HopeforTomorrow
                  This.

Where were Martian Manhunter, Zatanna, Stargirl, Bart,etc.? Oh yeah, they have their own series offscreen - which is just another reason that I'm completely against having the JLA/JSA on Clark's show. Mentionings and offscreen development is very cheap (like Roulette), and the producers should have known better than to force these things into Clark's pre-Superman story. What a complete waste, all to the detriment of Clark, and just something that gives Oliver and Chloe something to do to stay "relevant".

And if Lois wasn't there, don't you think Clark would have spent the entire episode trying to FIND her? And realized something was wrong right away? The VRA didn't want that.

I think it was actually smart of them to put her in the simulated world. They wanted to keep Clark under, so they tried to make his life as 'normal' as possible, hoping he wouldn't question it.

It didn't end up working (for a number of reasons) but I think they were better off putting her there than not.
                  Last edited by kelly1142; 02-06-2011, 07:35 AM.

Comment

And if Lois wasn't there, don't you think Clark would have spent the entire episode trying to FIND her? And realized something was wrong right away? The VRA didn't want that.
                    THIS!

Clark would have known right away something wasn't right. So again I'm confused as to why she shouldn't have been.

I HATE the "Cause ED is in 22 episodes" to me it seems like a backhanded swipe at the actress

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~
                      No it doesn't, not on any level. She gives him strength, nothing wrong with that. Heck Clark on Lois and Clark said once "Being with you is tronger than me alone". My gosh, how many of us in real life give strength to someone we love?
                      Could we please leave real life out of a situation that has to do with basic story telling and how to convey the main character and protagonist who we the audience should root for.

And for the record, I don't mind a supporting cast that does what the name applies. That is good storytelling as well...however given the way and amount it is portrayed at a stage where the main character is at the end of his journey (before another journey as Superman begins) is just too much.

I think Mark Waid said it best at the foreword to "All-Star Superman" (one of the best Supes stories): Gods achieve their power by encouraging us to believe in them. Superman achieves his power by believing in us.

Goodie that "Beacon" will have videos showing how the people believe in the Blur...

Comment

Could we please leave real life out of a situation that has to do with basic story telling and how to convey the main character and protagonist who we the audience should root for.
                        This is again completely illogical. The root of good storytelling is to connect with your audience in a way that feels emotional real and true. Real life emotions will always be relevant and come into play because that is how we connect with fictional characters. To attempt to disregard them is to make these relationships less true and these characters less sincere. And it would be nice if people could remember that there is no "right" way to get people to root for someone as there are no absolutes to this kind of stuff.

I think Mark Waid said it best at the foreword to "All-Star Superman" (one of the best Supes stories): Gods achieve their power by encouraging us to believe in them. Superman achieves his power by believing in us.
                        That's true. But you've forgotten an important piece of the modern Superman canon.
                        It is true that Superman is the hope for the world. But the second piece of the canon is that Lois is the hope for Superman.

And yep. All Star Superman is a great book. It's also a book that establishes--again---that of all the wonders in the world and all the things that Clark has seen and done and all the people he has known that "Lois, I have loved you most of all." Thanks for bringing that up!

Goodie that "Beacon" will have videos showing how the people believe in the Blur...
                        That sounds great. I can't wait to see it! Sounds like an episode that truly gets to the heart of why people need to believe in a hero like Superman. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey229
                          This is again completely illogical. The root of good storytelling is to connect with your audience in a way that feels emotional real and true. Real life emotions will always be relevant and come into play because that is how we connect with fictional characters. To attempt to disregard them is to make these relationships less true and these characters less sincere. And it would be nice if people could remember that there is no "right" way to get people to root for someone as there are no absolutes to this kind of stuff.

That's true. But you've forgotten an important piece of the modern Superman canon.
                          It is true that Superman is the hope for the world. But the second piece of the canon is that Lois is the hope for Superman.

And yep. All Star Superman is a great book. It's also a book that establishes--again---that of all the wonders in the world and all the things that Clark has seen and done and all the people he has known that "Lois, I have loved you most of all." Thanks for bringing that up!

That sounds great. I can't wait to see it! Sounds like an episode that truly gets to the heart of why people need to believe in a hero like Superman. Awesome.
                          Yes but reading about the comments it's like Superman and the common man (yes, that includes me too) are exactly the same. Superman was raised by humans so of course he will have many traits similar to ours. His world however in ways is so much bigger than ours. I'd also like to point out that while a relatable character that will get us inside his head is always neccesary. That however works in another level too. When we know him, we should also remember what he is and isn't capable of. Not everyone is going to see it the same way, so of course oppinions differ. However at this point Im not excactly seeing Superman here, nor do I see him becoming one (without relying heavily to training wheels).

Clark's writing resembles... his character has same actions and motives as does Spider-Man. Imo he is the ultimate everyman. He is the one we can relate far more than Superman. Spider-Man is supposed to be relatable whilst Superman has always been someone to aspire to. Clark isn't Superman yet, but S8-9 span says differently. That's why it hurts for me that Im not seeing Super-Clark anymore.

While everyone is responsible for their actions...would Spider-Man have become the hero he is if Uncle Ben wouldn't have died. Imo not. I've always seen Superman becoming who he is because (almost) purely by his choice. In some versions Jonathan dies before he is Superman and in some he doesn't so that doesn't drive Clark becoming Superman as much as it did to Spidey imo.

I don't mind Lois being supportive. She was fine S4-(8?)9 in this. Clark should always draw power from the people close to him. That however is different from constantly (well considerably) getting confidence and support from the supporting cast. Clark consulting others for tips and support is okay. Other characters cheering him up occasionally is okay. But completely stripping away all his abilities (including ability to think) if for example Lois isn't around to comfort him is totally out of character for me. Fool me once, shame on you (writers of "Harvest" during Lois speech to Clark and the villagers), fool me twice, shame on me ("Patriot" when Clark confides to others about the darkness after Lois talks), fool me for the 3rd time... (Clark flying in "Collateral" after Lois gives her speech). There are other examples too but imo these 3 are major issues.

Clark drew power from Lois and she was the most important thing in his life in "All-Start Superman" as it should be in any incarnation. All-Star version was considerably more independent and active than SV-version. The most Lois had influence over Superman was in the 2nd and 3rd issue (naturally since it was Lois' birthday) and I loved them both. I don't remember Lois pushing Superman around and patronizing him & telling what to do constantly...Clark maybe. But Clark in a way was the real disguise (bumbling) so I can see it.

I hope the videos of "Beacon" show what good Clark has done, inspiring people to do better in their lives. Seriously even though Martha is wounded and in the hospital, if I see a moaping, depressed Clark I think I may cry myself. This and maybe Lois getting shot should put the spotlight on Clark and make him do better. He should be more determined than ever to stop the darkness/VRA/Alexander.
                          Last edited by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow; 02-06-2011, 11:45 AM.

Comment

This episode dealt with Clark's trust issues in himself and others. Next episode will see him getting encouragement from Lois and Chloe. The producers said that Clark will be at an emotional crossroads starting with Icarus when everything around Clark has fallen apart. Like I said, I'm concerned about how Clark is written during Chloe's arc because not only has Chloe's return had a negative impact on him, but Clark may get too dependent on Lois.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly1142

I think it was actually smart of them to put her in the simulated world. They wanted to keep Clark under, so they tried to make his life as 'normal' as possible, hoping he wouldn't question it.

It didn't end up working (for a number of reasons) but I think they were better off putting her there than not.
                              That's understandable. I personally don't mind that Lois is in every episode this season (something that ED has worked hard for), but I'm completely against Clark being written badly and so dependant so that Lois can be the one to provide the way and reassurances for him. What should've happened IMO, is that once Clark found Lois and he realized that they were both trapped in a VR, he should've taken control (ala Bloodline) and been the reassuring force to get them out of there. I honestly can't remember the last time that Clark was written so poorly (probably sometime in Season 8 or Season 7's Sleeper), but there are other reasons for this (in Collateral) that are non-Lois related.
                              Last edited by HopeforTomorrow; 02-06-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HopeforTomorrow
                                That's understandable. I personally don't mind that Lois is in every episode this season (something that ED has worked hard for), but I'm completely against Clark being written badly and so dependant so that Lois can be the one to provide the way and reassurances for him. What should've happened IMO, is that once Clark found Lois and he realized that they were both trapped in a VR, he should've taken control (ala Bloodline) and been the reassuring force to get them out of there. I honestly can't remember the last time that Clark was written so poorly (probably sometime in Season 8 or Season 7's Sleeper).

I guess to me he was in control.

Lois didn't get them off that roof.

The FakeChloe and Lois talking to me was all about voicing Clark's internal monologue. FakeChloe was voicing every insecurity - the devil on his shoulder so to speak, while Lois was voicing what the angel on the shoulder, for lack of a better term.

Lois could give him all the pep talks in the world, but the truth of the matter is, it wouldn't have mattered if Clark didn't truly believe that world was fake AND then take action.

He was heroic, he saved both Lois and himself. He's the one who took the leap of faith. Lois could talk until she's blue in the face, it would mean nothing if Clark didn't take action himself.
                                Last edited by kelly1142; 02-06-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎