Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jessica Jones (Netflix, formerly in development for ABC)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• [SPOILER]Really liked the costume montage in episode two. Not only did they manage to get Trish into the classic Hellcat suit, but also managed to do a bit of a commentary on how impractical superhero suits would actually be. Masks that end up covering your eyes and restrictive leather clothes (just realize how impractical most of the Arrowverse suits would actually be). Was expecting Melvin Potter to show up, eventually, and make her a suit, but I like that they kept it basic. Some will no doubt dislike what they did with it, but I think it was the right choice. Trish's story became a breakdown and commentary on superheroes. A jewel heist doesn't happen, within a meter of her, when she's just walking down the street (it often happens in superhero stuff. Heck, in Spider-Man (2002), the title character's able to not only be present right when a robbery of an armored truck starts... he's had a time to set up his camera. Some guys attack Mary Jane, when Peter's around to see it. Not earlier or later, with Peter merely learning of the attack, after it happened). Most things are mundane and when something actually happens, she's too far away (by the time that she arrives on the scene, the police have already handled it). And, rather than fixing problems, she ends up causing more problems by her activities.[/SPOILER]

Comment

• Just saw the entire season. Beware of spoilers in the following review.

If I copy pasted my thoughs about season 2, they would also reflect my feelings on season 3. Mind you, I did find this season slightly better. It has a better villain, Trish's descent to the dark side is captured quite well and there's less filler. But all in all, I maintain my stance that the only Marvel-Netflix show that proved itself capable of having second and third seasons is Daredevil. The rest just struggled to remain equally intriguing once their origin seasons were over. Some thoughts about the season:

- Krysten Ritter once again carries the show. She has the Jessica Jones part nailed down and she keeps you hooked no matter what her character is doing. At the same time, after the events of last season, I thought this season was all about establishing her as a hero and they accompished that. Especially in light of Trish's journey to the opposite direction. As for the final scene, it wasn't the most perfect way to end the series (and the Marvel-Netflix shows in general), but I think it was a cool way for Jessica to sign off. While the devil will keep whispering in her ear, at the end she will always do the right thing. Krysten also did a very good job in her directing debut (the first Patsy-heavy episode of the season).

- I didn't expect them to take things with Trish as far as they did. I don't know a lot about the comics' version of the character, so maybe that's why. Patsy's transformaton over the 3 seasons has been quite startling. And once Dorothy was so brutally murdered, it was obvious there was no coming back for her. And I loved how Trish went completely off the rails after Dorothy died, as opposed to Jessica who maintained her principles even after she lost her mother last season.

- Sallinger is the kind of villain that we see A LOT of in recent times: Stoic, methodic, calculating. He was no Kilgrave by any stretch, but I feel that he added menace to the show. It's something that it lacked in season 2 after it became clear that there was no actual Big Bad.

- Erik was more interesting than Oscar as Jessica's love interest. And at least his storyline tied to Sallinger's. His sister on the other hand, I found to be needless and without true purpose.

- Jeri's storylines seems to get less and less good wth each passing season. And if you notice, nothing really evolves with her character or her relationship with Jessica. I know she's an important mythos character and Carrie Anne Moss is a wonderful actress, but at this point she didn't deserve all this screentime.

- Malcolm has come a long way during this series. I just wish we didn't get all the melodrama involving him. He had a steady relationship at the start of the season and there was no reason to ruin all that and make him look bad.

- Loved the Luke Cage cameo. It was probably a late decision once the EPs found out that all Marvel shows on Netflix were cancelled. They had him appear to make it look like he maintained his morality even after he became a club owner.

Comment

• I never read the JJ comics but wow, I didn't expect that turn of events with Trish. I mean, I figured when she got powers at the end of season 2 that season 3 would have her on course building up her superhero rep and teaming with Jessica to take down a big bad guy....which happened but I didn't expect the turn when Jessica would have to stop her because she went too far.

And it's too bad these shows ended without showing The Raft. I would've loved to seen the MCU Netflix's version of it and to see what other villains were there. We know that Willis, Luke Cage's brother is stored there and Trish was headed there.... It could've kicked off a arc where several escaped, forcing The Defenders to come together once more to stop them.....probably would've been a better set of villains than The Hand.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎