Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're halfway through the season. Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=darkphoenix21;6961149]It's been a roller coaster of decent episodes with mediocre ones. I thought that by this point in the season things would get lighter, not darker.

I thought after Homecoming...which has been my favourite episode this season..the episodes would start to get lighter.

Instead there getting darker & for my tastes...most of the shows since Homecoming....have been hit & mostly miss with me.

Its not that Im against the darker episodes per say... as I thought was a lot of fun seeing Tom play a bad guy in Luthor.. especially when he yelled at Tess to get up.

But I find the VRA storyline boring & seeing them walk around in their finest Gestapo getups in Incarus... did nothing for me.

Im half expecting an episode where the government tries to close Watchtower for unpaid electrical bills!

I feel the writers are trying to shoe horn in too many things this last season..with the VRA, Darkseid, and clone Lex story lines...along with all the other heroes popping up on the show ..that Clarks final steps to becoming Superman ...are getting lost in the shuffle.. and not given the importance it should have..in this their final season.

Comment

Anyone got a good guess as to why they brought in the new costume? Seems like a pointless change, but the only thing I can come up with is that they were tired of the Neo jokes.

Comment

[QUOTE=SVfan87;6960863])

2. that one street in Metropolis is killing me!! please, let's have a scene on a real street!!! and even if we must use a stage, let's use a different one, please. changing up that one store front isn't fooling me into thinking we're at different locations.

UGH...that fake street is a eye sore point with me also.

Its like when Im watching a movie or TV program...and somebody either says outloud or has a piece a paper and we see that their phone number ..starts with 555..you know right away..thats a fake number..and it takes me out of the show or film.

Same thing happens...when I'm watching SV & see anybody on that dopey pretend street.....it just reminds me..Im watching actors on a TV show.
        Those constant same street scenes.. also remind me..of the budget cuts on SV..and along with less outdoor shots....were getting less & less of the cool special effects ..that SV used to have a lot more of.

The other thing that bugs me about the show the past 2 years..is all the interesting stuff that keeps happening in off screenville...like when Clark told Lois he was an alien from another planet.

Thats not something..a girl hears everyday about the "man" she loves...so I would have really liked to have seen Lois' reaction to that rather stunning news.....instead of being told it happened.

I still enjoy watching the show... but this season so far...has been kinda underwhelming. There are just certain moments in each episode that I like....but its rare that I enjoy an episode from beginging to end.

Hopefully..the powers that be on SV have saved the best for last.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyanara
          Anyone got a good guess as to why they brought in the new costume? Seems like a pointless change, but the only thing I can come up with is that they were tired of the Neo jokes.
          Im disapointed they haven't used the jacket more. My guess is they needed a big tease at the beginning of the season/at the end of an episode...It's like the hover scene at the end of "Homecoming"...ultimately pointless and just a tease.

Comment

Originally posted by Hendrix
            They messed up with the Lex business. I feel the season could have been stronger with an absolute focused on DS. Instead, they are waiting to see if MR shows up and are using our last season to set up basically an exit for him and he's just not important enough in my mind to have his character sabotage Clark's last year in his journey to Superman.
            As much as I also want the final season to focus on Clark, I don't begrudge the inclusion of the Lex storyline. From the show's inception, Smallville was as much about Lex as it was about Clark. For seven seasons, we watched an elaborate Cain and Abel story play out; sometimes it was handled well and sometimes it failed miserably. Nevertheless, the Luthors are part of the fabric of the show. Lex, specifically, is a character who is still very much tied to Clark despite their rift.

[SPOILER]In upcoming episodes like Beacon, Clark will start to interact with Alexander and with Lionel. Clark's evolution to Superman, I believe, can be driven and shaped by these interactions. [/SPOILER]

Personally, I'm not sure why so many believe there is so much story left to tell in terms of Clark becoming Superman. The act of taking back his suit and flying can be accomplished in one episode (this basically happened in Lazarus, but in reverse). I really don't know how an entire multi-episode arc could be built around this. Likewise, the act of putting on glasses and getting one big byline at the paper can happen in one episode (think Idol: Part II).

These types of developments don't necessitate episode upon episode of storytelling, IMO, mainly because much of the groundwork has already been laid in previous seasons and episodes. Clark knows what he has to do and why. He has all the tools and he has the motivation. It's only a matter of timing, in my estimation. The political climate is too volatile right now for Clark to debut as Superman. As the VRA/Suicide Squad/Darkseid arcs become more fully integrated and ultimately climax later in the season, that's when Clark will likely make his move. Until then, Clark must continue to wage an underground war.

Comment

I disagree with those that say Luthor could have been better spread out over 2 episodes. If anything, it would have suffered like Clois has this season...too much elaboration and talking about stuff that takes up too much screen time and pace away from the main conflicts.

I wish I could say Icarus was the first example of this season being so disjointed but it isn't. Like a previous post said, the season is sometimes amazing (Luthor/Homecoming) and then absolute trash. Because sometimes it's hard to even figure out what one episode has in value when it has absolute no follow through to the events of the next ep. Sometimes it's so bad that you wonder what one scene has anything, if at all, in common with another in the SAME episode.

It's like they've got no main production team trying to tie it all together. Trying to leave too many open threads for Rosenbaum to come back for the ultimate dramatic effect really wasn't worth it. When it comes to the Darkseid thing, I really don't care enough because that villain has barely been built up (and definitely not in anything like a plausible fashion). I don't care enough about the VRA, I really don't care for the fact that they know every single detail about Clark Kent, or years back into the personal lives of two BILLIONAIRE business people like Oliver Queen and Tess Mercer. I don't care enough about Lex's return, if it ever does happen, and I never thought i'd say that. I don't care enough about Clois, because they've had so much time away from the DP and so much screen time about their relationship to the point where Tom Welling is pushing through robotic proposals.

In fact, at this point, the only character I am interested to see have an effect on the Smallville universe is Lionel Luthor, and that's only because it is probably impossible for John Glover to ever overstay his welcome on screen.

Comment

Originally posted by BackToTheLies
                I disagree with those that say Luthor could have been better spread out over 2 episodes. If anything, it would have suffered like Clois has this season...too much elaboration and talking about stuff that takes up too much screen time and pace away from the main conflicts.
                I personally find that elaboration and talking about stuff is really valuable insight. I also have found that despite Lois, Clark's girlfriend, being the one he's conversing with, they often do talk about the main conflicts of the season.

Because sometimes it's hard to even figure out what one episode has in value when it has absolute no follow through to the events of the next ep. Sometimes it's so bad that you wonder what one scene has anything, if at all, in common with another in the SAME episode.
                I'm sure this has happened occasionally, but I'm having difficulty thinking of specific examples. Do you have some in mind?

In fact, at this point, the only character I am interested to see have an effect on the Smallville universe is Lionel Luthor, and that's only because it is probably impossible for John Glover to ever overstay his welcome on screen.
                This is obviously subjective, because while I generally enjoy Glover/Lionel, I'm not hugely invested in him as a character at this point. As such, he could very easily overstay his welcome as far as I'm concerned. A few episodes is enough.

Comment

Very poor, extremely stall worthy. Theres no excuse for what they are doing its just pure stall, covering it up with thousands of guest stars and romantic crap so the sound of our complaints are burried head deep with it. Not to mention going back to the same old Smallville complaints, half way through the final season and no flights or glasses, or tights for that matter.. At the end of Season 9 he could've worn them, no problem (except for flight) he was 100% ready. Now hes moving backwards faster than a speeding bullet. I just hope they change the costume to have a \P/ on the front.. Patheticman. Not in the slight bit impressed.

Comment

Its been a mixed half year. The biggest complaint is that there is too much focus on Clois. All we needed was for them to end as flirty co-workers with the potential of more. When they got together I could endure it but now they are racing towards an unnecessary finishing post where Smallville becomes less about beginnings and they go straight to the end of the Clois courtship story. I wish they had let Clark date around a bit more.

Chlollie has been awful but less visible. I have to wonder why they bothered getting them together for such a little amount of time and why they are playing it up as epic love when we know she's basically Ollie's Lana. Now they are using her barely boyfriend to keep her memory alive and its so overdone. Comparing Chloe and Olvier to Carter and Shiera? What are they on? Then they use that as an excuse so that her best friend and her cousin don't even mention her.

The storyline of the New Gods is erratic at best. At least the VRA is consistent. I think the arc hit a low with Isis/Harvest/Ambush but has been in slow recovery. Icarus wasn't as good as Luthor but it had its moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Estro-gen X
                      Its been a mixed half year. The biggest complaint is that there is too much focus on Clois. All we needed was for them to end as flirty co-workers with the potential of more. When they got together I could endure it but now they are racing towards an unnecessary finishing post where Smallville becomes less about beginnings and they go straight to the end of the Clois courtship story. I wish they had let Clark date around a bit more.

Chlollie has been awful but less visible. I have to wonder why they bothered getting them together for such a little amount of time and why they are playing it up as epic love when we know she's basically Ollie's Lana. Now they are using her barely boyfriend to keep her memory alive and its so overdone. Comparing Chloe and Olvier to Carter and Shiera? What are they on? Then they use that as an excuse so that her best friend and her cousin don't even mention her.

The storyline of the New Gods is erratic at best. At least the VRA is consistent. I think the arc hit a low with Isis/Harvest/Ambush but has been in slow recovery. Icarus wasn't as good as Luthor but it had its moments.
                      ITA.

Comment

MHO

The past 2 seasons 8 - 9 were potential series finallies

Now in Homecoming we see what it has to culminate. Darkseid is defeated and we are left with Lex who will not be resolved - the show has always been dark except when Lois was involved - pre season 9

It's going the way it has to go - to keep the feel of Smallville - which by the by it's not anymore

I guess the feel I'm getting is all the intrigue is over except for the Suit - but I still love it !!!!
                        Last edited by Cage; 12-12-2010, 06:26 AM.

Comment

So far, as a whole this is the worst season I have seen. Yes, I enjoyed season 7 more than this.
                          I thought the bringing back old characters would be good for the show, but they have been far too frequent. TOO MUCH CLOIS! STOP IT!!! It's making me sick.

4 out of 11 episodes have really stood out for me. Lazerus, Sheild, Homecoming & Luthor. I thought Homecoming was one of the best episodes ever, I don't see how they couldn't have kept it up, the episodes just took a pencil dive after that, except Luthor.

As my favourite show, I wanted more from the final season. The only thing they've done justice for is the CLOIS fans, which is what the showrunners seem to think the show is now based on. It used to be about Clark becoming Superman.
                          I don't want to go off on a rant, so I'll leave it here.

Comment

Underwhelming

My reaction so far?

Simple: "Ah. Shoot. Could have been better."

I don't think about Smallville for a living, so I don't know whether or not the lack of excitement and satisfaction could have been avoided. After watching every season of Smallville, though, I must say that I have been underwhelmed by S10. Why?

1. There has been too much focus on the wrong scenes. For instance, Icarus had a lot of dialogue, and that dialogue took up a lot of time. The most interesting part of Icarus was the shutting down of Watchtower. I thought there was a glimmer of hope that Chloe would intervene sometime at the end of the episode, but I was obviously wrong
                            2. Hit and miss ideas. It's been a tough season so far. I wanted to side with the producers so much, but I just didn't feel it. I loved episodes like Homecoming, but episodes like Harvest? They felt weird and... Yes, Stallville is right.
                            3. Not enough Superman. I can understand why some say that there's not much "Superman" left to develop, but I think there's still room. Perhaps the last 11 episodes will do it.
                            4. Out of curiosity, what happened to the Suicide Squad? I don't get it.

A few guesses for the developments! I don't like spoilers, so I'm just going to throw out some speculation:
                            1. Lionel has been orchestrating the VRA after some manipulation, and has become the one in authority. He has found Lex and is paving the way for him.
                            2. Darkseid (who doesn't sound or act like Darkseid, as far as I know) controls Lex, magnifying all the evil inside of him.
                            3. Another hero dies. Just saying.

Comment

Ugh. Underwhelming and disappointing. One thing they did get right though is to show how Clark is getting one step closer to becoming Lois' husband with each passing episode.
                              The rest is a mess, and I guess Souders was right when she said that they throw everything but the kitchen sink in that last season. They just "throw" everything all right, without much of a build-up or explaination, and crucial action scenes are left in that awesome Offscreenville show.

Comment

Originally posted by petitemimi
                                crucial action scenes are left in that awesome Offscreenville show.
                                I love Offscreenville.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎