No announcement yet.

Lois being equal to Clark

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lola dee
    Well Lois' constant neediness is telling -- she needs to stop looking for reassurance by being involved in nearly every aspect of his life before she even consider being his equal, imo.
    How is Lois wanting to be able to contact Clark in order to get him up to speed on a potential enemy an example of Lois being needy? In my opinion, it absolutely is not. Lois doesn't want to be involved in every aspect of Clark's life, but she doesn't want to be actively excluded from it, especially when she could be a valuable resource.

Comment

Clark will be waiting a long time for a girlfriend with equal powers...

Comment

Lana saw Clark as being "greater" than her because of his powers and so got a power suit in order to think she was equal to him.

Lois sees Clark with all his powers and treats him no different than she did and doesn't think it makes him better than her. And, more importantly, she doesn't think she needs to changer herself in order to be equal to him.

And that's the difference here.

Comment

Originally posted by biggumt
          she was tired of being a victim, it wasn't even about being clarks equal.
          MOD EDITLana was a victim of her own making. Everything that happened to her after her parents death was of her own making. She couldn't figure out clark's secret so she dated adam, who turnd out to be a psychopath. Then she went back to clark but left for paris and dated Jason who once again turned out to be a psychopath. She still couldn't figure Clark out so she ran to Lex who was the king of psychopaths...there's a pattern in here somewhere.
          Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:15 PM. Reason: rule #10

Comment

I think it can be seen that Lana thought she needed to be the same as Clark to be equal, which tragically led to her taking on the power suit.

In contrast, the discussion Clark and Lois had in Patriot about opposites attracting and the story in this episode shows that their partnership is of two very different people who are of equal value to each other and to the team. Clark may have the superpowers, but Lois has her own useful skills as a non-powered human (eg reporter skills to get info) and Clark needs Lois for support (eg taking her to WT), and therefore the team does too. Mera's point was that Clark needs someone who treats him like an equal, not a god, and someone who demands to be seen as an equal, not a "puny human". That's why Lois is his link to humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by A Flawed Fashion
              Lois didn't need to change herself to be an equal. Lois is 100% Lois while being his equal.

The anti-Lana crowd is strong and I think that the hatred of her characters has gone much farther than it needs to, but I think that these are different scenarios. Clark needs someone he feels is his equal to be in a relationship with. A relationship can't work if one person is always striving to catch up with the other. Lois isn't trying to become his equal in power or skill, she just is his equal in terms of self.

Exactly. MOD EDIT

Lana basically coveted what Clark had and changed herself completely in order to become Clark's equal and that is what most people had a problem with. Lois isn't doing that at all. Lois is achieving what Lana could only dream of, to be Clark's equal in her own right, not because she is literally on equal terrain when it comes to his particular strengths (ie. super powers) but equal to him in other ways that she can be equal to him (ie. belief system, heroism, etc)

There is a huge difference and I can't believe people don't see it. The situations are not the same at all...and I'm not a huge, huge fan of either girls but I can definitely say that Lois has said nothing that causes me to be alarmed in this episode while episodes like Power/Requiem really alarmed me.
              Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:16 PM. Reason: rule #10

Comment

Originally posted by bennyjr123
                THIS I agree with. MOD EDITthe girl was abused one way or another for 7 years of her life and was probably tired of always being the victim. She saw no other way of protecting herself.
                That's the whole problem, though. In order to stop being a victim and to protect herself, Lana believed she had to change her very physiology. That's not healthy. Furthermore, Lana absolutely chose to have the Prometheus suit embedded into her skin in order to be with Clark. She thought they could never be together, if Clark was always worried about hurting her or other people hurting her. This was all explained in Power.
                Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I posted this in a different thread and it was a little off-topic but I'm still really interested in what people think.

I'm sorry but I HAVE to make this comparison cause it was staring at me right in the face for half of the episode

I think it's interesting; MOD EDIT Lana saw herself as an equal to Clark and MOD EDIT Clark is..well he's superman. In this episode, Lois is praised for seeing herself as an equal to Clark. How do we all feel about that now?

Honestly, neither bother me but I'm curious to see what other people think.
                  I saw it differently as well. Lana felt to be Clark's equal she had to obtain powers and not be herself. For me, and I think for Lois I see it as being equal in a relationship. Meaning sharing oneself, Supporting and helping each other get through all the craziness in the world.

Always being there for each other. it's what makes clois so strong, they are there for each other no matter what.

Lois comments at the end mentions that how her mom supported the General.. Lois is looking for that with Clark. She doesn't need to go with him to save the world but he does need to share that part.

Loved Lois's talk w/clark it was awesome. So why i have loved this couple so long.
                  Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM.

Comment

IMO it was about their relationship not his super hero stuff and anybody who is in a healthy normal adult loving relationship should be equal

Comment

Originally posted by ginevrakent
                      That's the whole problem, though. In order to stop being a victim and to protect herself, Lana believed she had to change her very physiology.
                      Right. Clark is a super hero not by choice and he's dealing with his circumstance as best as possible, and it would have been nice to see Lana do the same without needing to change herself so dramatically...

Comment

THIS I agree with. MOD EDITthe girl was abused one way or another for 7 years of her life and was probably tired of always being the victim. She saw no other way of protecting herself.
                        yup and after lex had her kidnapped it was the last straw. who would want to keep suffering like that? all her life she's been a victim and couldn't really do anything about it, she wanted to be strong and be able to stand up for herself and not have clark always having to be there for her. she took it upon herself to be a hero and help others.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by thehenry89
                        MOD EDITLana was a victim of her own making. Everything that happened to her after her parents death was of her own making. She couldn't figure out clark's secret so she dated adam, who turnd out to be a psychopath. Then she went back to clark but left for paris and dated Jason who once again turned out to be a psychopath. She still couldn't figure Clark out so she ran to Lex who was the king of psychopaths...there's a pattern in here somewhere.
                        what about all the countless FOTW attacking her and stalking her? what about brainiac sending her into a coma? what about lex kidnapping her for no good reason?
                        Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

"I think Lois is such a strong woman that there are not many men that can equal her and can really deal with her. So it takes a Superman." --Superman Homepage, June 14, 2005

"When we were married, everyone asked me the same question. 'You're Superman. Why Lois Lane?' I knew she was the girl for me the moment I met her. Lois was brutally honest, curious as a cat, and you'd never get the last word in. She was the most human woman I'd ever met. But on the inside she was more super than I could ever be." -
                          Clark in Infinite Crisis #5

"And Lois is tough, smart, and independent. Clark can treat her as an equal."-
                          -Greg Rucka

"Lois is a mortal who has been chosen by a being who is essentially a god -- a being who could probably get any woman, mortal or immortal, he wanted. So Lois must bring something very important to the relationship."--
                          Mark Schultz, author of "Man of Steel"

"Tough, witty, warm, and delightfully vulnerable, through the course of four feature films Margot Kidder made Lois Lane a three-dimensional heroine in her own right. One that brought out the humanity in Superman but also proved she didn't need a Man of Steel to be complete. Instead, they were equals, and things haven't been the same--in a very good way--since."--
                          TV Guide article on Lois Lane, "Lois & Lois"

Comment

MOD EDITLana was a victim of her own making. Everything that happend to her after her parents death was of her own making. She couldn't figure out clark's secret so she dated adam, who turend out to be a psychopath. Then she went back to clark but left for paris and dated Jason who once again turned out to be a psychopath. She still couldn't figure Clark out so she ran to Lex who was the king of pscychopaths...there's a pattern in here somewhere.
                            She dated adam because she kept getting hurt when she was around Clark. I do blame her for Lex.

But please, those 3 examples compared to meteor freak, after stalker, after tina greers in Smallville? If I was getting attacked that much in my life not only would I want a power-suit...I probably wouldn't be sane anymore...
                            Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:19 PM.

Comment

MOD EDITLana was a victim of her own making. Everything that happend to her after her parents death was of her own making. She couldn't figure out clark's secret so she dated adam, who turend out to be a psychopath. Then she went back to clark but left for paris and dated Jason who once again turned out to be a psychopath. She still couldn't figure Clark out so she ran to Lex who was the king of pscychopaths...there's a pattern in here somewhere.
                              ...and that's how they ruined Lana's character.
                              Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:19 PM.

Comment

also she had no intentions on reigniting a relationship with clark. watch bride, she was letting clark go but clark kept persuing her. she had a plan all along and clark had nothing to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎