Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Pamela Jenkins give the Luthorcorp stock to Tess instead of Lex?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuthorKent90
    Was this the same woman who was Lucas' mother? Red head who thought Clark was her son?
    Lionel obviously had a thing for redheads. But Lucas' mom was Rachel Dunleavy from Lineage.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
      Lionel obviously had a thing for redheads. But Lucas' mom was Rachel Dunleavy from Lineage.

Oooh Pamela was the woman who came back to smallville after finding out she was dying and wanted to "make peace" with Lex. Now I remember.

All these redheads confusing mehh.

Comment

Here are some reasons I've come up with:

1. When she showed up in Smallville in Season 1, it wasn't that long after she had learned she was sick. If there was a living will involved, she probably didn't have time to change the will to leave them to Tess because she was too ill.

2. She didn't want her biological daughter connected to Lionel in any way. Remember, she and Lillian both made statements that all Lionel ever did to Lex was chip away at his spirit. She didn't want Tess to suffer the mental/emotional damage.

3. She may have resented Tess simply for being Lionel's daughter, a living connection to a man she detested. So, maybe she felt Tess deserved nothing.

4. If option 3 isn't true, it could boil down to the fact that she was fond of Lex and favored him over her own daughter. Maybe because he was older (if he in fact was and I believe so), she felt that it was his birthright since he was a living male heir.

Comment

Originally posted by Iluvgreen
          My question is... didn't Lional send Lucas to foster homes since he was born? Why did Tess know Lional? I understand why he gave her away, but she seemed to have somewhat of a relationship with him by saying, "i love you daddy?"

I hope they explain this. That last scene was so sad, and I can't wait to see what happens with it.
          I wonder why Lionel didn't do the same to Pamela that he did to Rachel. He had Rachel committed to an asylum when she started accusing him of withholding Lucas from her. Perhaps because she was close to Lex & Lillian and didn't want to upset either any further? I guess he didn't send Tess to foster homes because he didn't want child services finding out about Tess & Lucas being related because he didn't want Tess to know of Lucas' existence & vice versa. And that way, in case Lex found out about one of those 2, which he did in Prodigal, he didn't want Lex to find out about the other too.

You know what would have been really interesting? Had the producers introduced Tess in season 7 & had her meet with Lionel after how Lex had Grant Gabriel killed in Persona, it would have been awesome to see Lionel protect Tess' existence from Lex. Now that would have been a great way to follow Grant's death & make it meaningful. Or they could have had Lionel meet up with Lucas & Tess while keeping Grant alive in an attempt to overthrow Lex, only for Lex to kill Lionel & have his cloned brother & half brother take the fall while Tess' identity was protected by Lionel and having Lex not find out about her until after Lionel's death & framing his other 2 siblings. It's such a shame they didn't do more with Grant or Lucas.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Aries83
          Here are some reasons I've come up with:

1. When she showed up in Smallville in Season 1, it wasn't that long after she had learned she was sick. If there was a living will involved, she probably didn't have time to change the will to leave them to Tess because she was too ill.

2. She didn't want her biological daughter connected to Lionel in any way. Remember, she and Lillian both made statements that all Lionel ever did to Lex was chip away at his spirit. She didn't want Tess to suffer the mental/emotional damage.

3. She may have resented Tess simply for being Lionel's daughter, a living connection to a man she detested. So, maybe she felt Tess deserved nothing.

4. If option 3 isn't true, it could boil down to the fact that she was fond of Lex and favored him over her own daughter. Maybe because he was older (if he in fact was and I believe so), she felt that it was his birthright since he was a living male heir.
          I think #2 makes the most sense. I would definitely believe that.
          Last edited by xrayvision; 11-14-2010, 12:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
            Another thing I was meaning to bring up is Pamela's absence from that one flashback scene in Memoria where another nanny named Mary was seen. In that scene, Lionel gave her the night off so Lillian could spend time with Julian. I was wondering if that was a temporary nanny who subbed in for Pamela since she was on vacation or if that was before Pamela was hired. Because that was before Lillian was inflicted with whatever disease that killed her and we know Pamela was taking care of Lex when that happened & was let go shortly after Lillian passed away.
            No, Pamela said that she was the only one who had been there for Lex when he became bald, so that means she was already employed by Lionel at the time Lex was 9, and Julian was born when Lex was about 12.

Originally posted by Aries83
            I admit I have no idea how these things work, but couldn't she have changed the will was she was not sick?

She didn't give me the impression of a woman who would just leave her daughter in the hands of an abusive foster family - or a woman who would not care to learn every single thing about the family her daughter had been placed with. The only thing that makes sense is that Pamela thought that Tess was dead.

But she didn't resent Lex for being Lionel's son?

Or maybe she just loved him. Surely there must have been one person in Lex's life who loved him unconditionally and above all else (his mother didn't seem to have been that person).

I wonder why Lionel didn't do the same to Pamela that he did to Rachel. He had Rachel committed to an asylum when she started accusing him of withholding Lucas from her. Perhaps because she was close to Lex & Lillian and didn't want to upset either any further?
            Considering the fact that Lionel had no problem sending Pamela away after Lilian's death, I doubt Lex's emotional well-being was among his priorities. Most likely, he did not want to upset Lillian because she was already sick at the time (as he says in Lineage).

Comment

Originally posted by Jennsen
              No, Pamela said that she was the only one who had been there for Lex when he became bald, so that means she was already employed by Lionel at the time Lex was 9, and Julian was born when Lex was about 12.
              Hmm, so where do you think she was in that Memoria scene? I can't explain it. If I remember correctly, we were told that Pamela was around until after Lillian died, but she wasn't there in that Memoria flashback. Do you think that Mary was hired specifically to be Julian's nanny while Pamela was Lex's nanny? Or do you think Lionel could have gotten wind of Lillian leaving those shares of stock to Pamela in her will, which would have probably been made before she even got sick (the Luthors would make sure to tend to things like that early on instead of procrastinating), and then booted her out to prevent Lillian from finding out about his affair with Pamela? Though I'm not sure that would make sense. It would also mean that Pamela was sent off before Lillian died or got sick and that I think contradicts the facts from Crush.

Considering the fact that Lionel had no problem sending Pamela away after Lilian's death, I doubt Lex's emotional well-being was among his priorities. Most likely, he did not want to upset Lillian because she was already sick at the time (as he says in Lineage).
              Yeah, I thought I should have deleted that stuff before I posted it but didn't since Lionel wasn't the type to feel bad for Lex. So I guess you don't think that the stock that Lillian left in her will to Pamela was a factor in Lionel letting Pamela go, right?

Thanks for the replies. This is a tough one to piece together. I know if the writers even bother to explain things regarding Tess, Pamela & Lillian, they won't be looking at the details like we are here & we will end up getting a contradictory explanation.

Comment

Hmm, so where do you think she was in that Memoria scene? I can't explain it. If I remember correctly, we were told that Pamela was around until after Lillian died, but she wasn't there in that Memoria flashback. Do you think that Mary was hired specifically to be Julian's nanny while Pamela was Lex's nanny?
                I think this is probably the best explanation. Given what we know of Pamela, it makes no sense for her to not have been there for Lex and Lillian at that terrible period of their lives.

Or do you think Lionel could have gotten wind of Lillian leaving those shares of stock to Pamela in her will, which would have probably been made before she even got sick (the Luthors would make sure to tend to things like that early on instead of procrastinating), and then booted her out to prevent Lillian from finding out about his affair with Pamela? Though I'm not sure that would make sense. It would also mean that Pamela was sent off before Lillian died or got sick and that I think contradicts the facts from Crush.
                Yes, it does contradict Crush. In Crush Lex was angry with Pamela because he felt she betrayed him by leaving him immediately after Lillian's death.

So I guess you don't think that the stock that Lillian left in her will to Pamela was a factor in Lionel letting Pamela go, right?
                I always assumed Lionel sent Pamela packing because he didn't want any other person to have any influence on him, especially if he thought that influence would make Lex 'weak'. If I'm not mistaken, this is what Pamela herself says, and I think she was sincere.

Thanks for the replies. This is a tough one to piece together. I know if the writers even bother to explain things regarding Tess, Pamela & Lillian, they won't be looking at the details like we are here & we will end up getting a contradictory explanation.
                Considering all the facts we have, like Lex's and Tess' ages, and Pamela's history, I think Pamela and Lionel had an affair before Lex was born (Tess is supposed to be a little older) or at the time Lex was born (if we assume Tess is the same age as Lex). Pamela had Tess, but was led to believe the baby died. I have no idea why Lionel would hire Pamela as a nanny for his child or, if Pamela was already working for him, why he woudn't get rid of her. I seriously doubt he let her stay in his house out of kindness of his heart. Later Pamela developed a bond with Lillian and Lex and came to hate Lionel when she saw how cruel he was with his family. So when she sought Lex out, she had no idea her daughter was still alive, and she loved Lex like her own son. This is the scenario that I think makes the most sense. I don't like the idea of Pamela calling gerself Lillian's friend and sleeping with her husband at the same time. Call me sentimental or naive, but I just can't see a woman on the verge of death lying to the man she loves as her own son about her friendship with his mother. This is the main reason why I reject the idea that Tess was born after Lex. Plus, we know from Turbulence that she's supposed to be a little older. (Yeah, I know that they will retcon the hell out of it the next chance they get, but I'm going to hold on to that for as long as I can.)

Comment

I think this is probably the best explanation. Given what we know of Pamela, it makes no sense for her to not have been there for Lex and Lillian at that terrible period of their lives.
                  I agree.

Yes, it does contradict Crush. In Crush Lex was angry with Pamela because he felt she betrayed him by leaving him immediately after Lillian's death.
                  Yeah, that's what I thought. So forget about that explanation.

I always assumed Lionel sent Pamela packing because he didn't want any other person to have any influence on him, especially if he thought that influence would make Lex 'weak'. If I'm not mistaken, this is what Pamela herself says, and I think she was sincere.
                  This makes me wonder, why wouldn't Lionel want to get rid of Lillian too after thinking she would make Lex weak? I guess he wouldn't want to lose half of everything he owned, but is it possible that whatever killed Lillian was Lionel's doing? Maybe after Julian died, he no longer cared for her, even though he didn't know she was the one who killed Julian.

Considering all the facts we have, like Lex's and Tess' ages, and Pamela's history, I think Pamela and Lionel had an affair before Lex was born (Tess is supposed to be a little older) or at the time Lex was born (if we assume Tess is the same age as Lex). Pamela had Tess, but was led to believe the baby died. I have no idea why Lionel would hire Pamela as a nanny for his child or, if Pamela was already working for him, why he woudn't get rid of her. I seriously doubt he let her stay in his house out of kindness of his heart. Later Pamela developed a bond with Lillian and Lex and came to hate Lionel when she saw how cruel he was with his family. So when she sought Lex out, she had no idea her daughter was still alive, and she loved Lex like her own son. This is the scenario that I think makes the most sense. I don't like the idea of Pamela calling gerself Lillian's friend and sleeping with her husband at the same time. Call me sentimental or naive, but I just can't see a woman on the verge of death lying to the man she loves as her own son about her friendship with his mother. This is the main reason why I reject the idea that Tess was born after Lex. Plus, we know from Turbulence that she's supposed to be a little older. (Yeah, I know that they will retcon the hell out of it the next chance they get, but I'm going to hold on to that for as long as I can.)
                  Yeah, I can't think that Pamela would have an affair with her friend's husband. But at the same time, I can't believe Lionel would hire Pamela as a nanny after she had his illegitimate kid.

Do you think the following scenario is possible:

Lionel & Lillian were temporarily seperated when Lex was very young. Then during that seperation, Lionel met Pamela & the 2 hooked up and had Tess & Lionel made it seem that Tess died but actually had her sent to that orphanage. Lillian at the time didn't know Pamela, who thought she just lost her child & Lionel decided to hire Pamela as his nanny around the time he & Lillian got back together, which Lionel would have wanted since he wanted to be the main influence on Lex. That is when Pamela & Lillian became friends and Lionel & Pamela never spoke of Tess (who Pamela thought was dead) because they didn't want to upset Lillian with a baby that Pamela thought was dead.

I think it works, right?

Comment

This makes me wonder, why wouldn't Lionel want to get rid of Lillian too after thinking she would make Lex weak? I guess he wouldn't want to lose half of everything he owned, but is it possible that whatever killed Lillian was Lionel's doing? Maybe after Julian died, he no longer cared for her, even though he didn't know she was the one who killed Julian.
                    Interesting theory. I always thought Lionel had some measure of affection for Lillian. Not love, of course, but some affection. Also, he said in Lineage that he kept Lucas's birth a secret because Lillian was already very ill. So it seems Lillian had always been a woman of frail health, and Lionel didn't have to worry too much about her influence on Lex. No need to dispose of her if she was so weak! And there's also the fact that Lex spent most of his time in boarding schools.

The characterization of Lillian is... uneven, to put it mildly. From what Lionel, Pamela and Lex said about her in season 1, I had an impression of her as a strong woman who was able to stick up for herself and her child. However, episodes like Lineage, Memoria and Fracture painted a very different picture of her. She seemed to be a weak, desperate woman who could not withstand the might of Lionel Luthor. I guess he did not view her as any sort of threat, so he would not need to kill her.

Lionel & Lillian were temporarily seperated when Lex was very young. Then during that seperation, Lionel met Pamela & the 2 hooked up and had Tess & Lionel made it seem that Tess died but actually had her sent to that orphanage. Lillian at the time didn't know Pamela, who thought she just lost her child & Lionel decided to hire Pamela as his nanny around the time he & Lillian got back together, which Lionel would have wanted since he wanted to be the main influence on Lex. That is when Pamela & Lillian became friends and Lionel & Pamela never spoke of Tess (who Pamela thought was dead) because they didn't want to upset Lillian with a baby that Pamela thought was dead.
                    Yeah, it works, if we assume that Lionel thought Pamela would be his ally in his cruel parenting methods. Apparently, he didn't know her very well.

The only thing I am absolutely sure of is that Pamela was not lying to Lex about anything when she was on her deathbed.
                    Last edited by Jennsen; 11-14-2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I think Lionel convinced Pamela that Tess was dead. Either that, or when he gave Tess up for adoption, he covered his tracks so well that it became nearly impossible for Pamela to find out where Tess had ended up.

As for the Pamela-Lillian thing, I think that Pamela might have decided to become close to Lillian after her affair with Lionel partly because she was tormented by her guilt, and wanted to try to make it up to Lillian by being kind to her from then on. Also, it's still unknown as to whether or not Lillian ever found out that Lionel got Pamela pregnant.

Comment

Noone knew who Tess was, Lionel knew what the granny was capable off, he could of had a death certificate for her, but had moral conscious and didn't kill her, and knew he could rid her off memories of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Odysseus
                          As for the Pamela-Lillian thing, I think that Pamela might have decided to become close to Lillian after her affair with Lionel partly because she was tormented by her guilt, and wanted to try to make it up to Lillian by being kind to her from then on. Also, it's still unknown as to whether or not Lillian ever found out that Lionel got Pamela pregnant.
                          I got the impression Pamela genuinely loved Lillian as a friend and maybe even admired her. She came to the Metropolic cemetery to see her grave, after all. I doubt she was simply kind to her out of guilt. But I don't think the SV writers give a flying fig about all this, so I guess it's pointless to even think about it...

Comment

I got the impression Pamela genuinely loved Lillian as a friend and maybe even admired her. She came to the Metropolic cemetery to see her grave, after all. I doubt she was simply kind to her out of guilt. But I don't think the SV writers give a flying fig about all this, so I guess it's pointless to even think about it...
                            What I meant was that she came to genuinely love Lillian after the affair with Lionel. She felt guilty about sleeping with Lillian's husband and started being very kind to her, after which she and Lillian became friends.

Comment

Okaaay... Looking at this stupid subplot and the stupid plotholes (I'm nort going to let it go, I'm obsessive like that!), I came up with another explanation for the whole thing. what if Pamela wasn't really Tess' mother? Just don't laugh at me, hear me out! We know from Lineage that Lionel cheated on Lillian repeatedly. We know Lex knew this and hated his father for it because he idolized his mother. We also know Lionel didn't want Pamela to have any influence on his son that would make him 'weak'. He sent Pamela away but he had no guarantee she would not attempt to contact Lex in some way. So he created the fake birth certificate for one of his kids (must have had many of them, lol) as evidence for Lex that Pamela was not really Lillian's friend, that she was just another one of Lionel's lovers (whom Lex hated), so she was not to be trusted. Lionel never showed the birth certificate to Lex because there was no need- Pamela never triend to contact Lex, so she presented no threat.

Whew. So how's that for a theory? Hey, if SV writers can do stupid and convoluted storylines, the fanwank should be appropriately stupid and convoluted!

Comment

Yeah, I know. That's why I pretty much gave up on figuring out who is older between Lex & Tess since retcons have made previous facts worthless. So rather than use details regarding dates & ages, I just came to the conclusion that Lionel met Pamela after she became Lex's nanny, so Lex would have to be older.

Still, I long for the days when the Luthor storyline was one of the most pristine things in this show.
                                It's not like Smallville is the only show to ever do a retcon before. I give you exhibit A, Supernatural. They retconed the character of the Trickster in an arc-angel. I'm using Supernatural as an example because I know how much you like that show.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎