Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Abandoned?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought the episode had good emotional moments with Lois looking at the video of her late mother and Clark seeing the hologram of Jor-El and Lara. I really appreciate any chance to see real human moments. However, I'm glad Oliver wasn't in the episode. The main cast for this season was: Clark (orphaned and adopted), Lois (lost her mother at a young age), Tess (abondoned by her birth parents and adopted) and Oliver (lost both parents at a young age). Between Tess learning her origin and Clark and Lois seeing recordings of dead parents, having Oliver (likely they would've done the same with him) would've been overkill.

They don't show it onscreen, but it's obvious that Granny used her powers on Tess, to trigger her memories. I like this. Granny is trying to attract her attention and and awakens memories in Tess. It gives the dreams a motivation, rather than we're suddenly told that Tess has had these kinds of dreams for years (something never hinted at before). I also like that her biological mother is someone that we've met in the past. There were no hints at Tess' existence in "Crush", but the episode also never had Pamela and Lionel interacting, so we have no past onscreen interactions that contradicts this episode's claim about Pamela and Lionel (unlike the S7 Veritas stuff and Lionel). Lionel is also a man, with an established history of adultery. So, the idea that he might have more kids out there, isn't much of a stretch.

The Tess reveal is a bit of a retcon, but hardly the worst offender in the show's history. The show had only touched upon the Mercer family once (and all that was established is that Mr. Mercer used to beat Tess) and neither Mr. Mercer or Mrs. Mercer had appeared onscreen. So, the reveal that they adopted Tess, when she was five years old, doesn't really contradict anything (there had never been any references to Mrs. Mercer having given birth to Tess). The reveal also gives an explaination, for why Lex picked Tess Mercer (an obscure, regional VP) to run LuthorCorp in his absense.

This episode also introduces us to Granny Goodness, Desaad and have Clark going up against the Female Furies. The Furies I did think were a bit weak. I'm assuming that Clark will have future encounters with them and he took down Lashina in literarly one second.

Of course, they're never identified onscreen as the Female Furies and "Harriet" is the only one who is given a name. So, one could argue that this isn't the real ones, but an early version put together by Granny. Assuming that she didn't die, in the finale, but was simply banished to Apokolips, it's possible that she sets up a new orphanage there. Where the actual Lashina and the rest are brought together. One of the new ones remind Granny of the Harriet in this episode, so she changes the girl's name to "Harriet".

A deleted scene shows the police shutting down the orphanage, after being alerted by Clark and Tess and the girls being sent to a new home. It's a shame that they didn't have time to include it in the episode.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 04-16-2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎