Television Ratings for "Isis"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea its nice that the network is doing so well with fridays compared to most of the other nights of the week. But we can lend that to fox/abc not having anything of big competition and nbc/cbs being more of the threats this yr. But its nice to see cw beat fox or even abc for once.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee
      I do think the numbers will drop for the next few episodes simply because of Halloween, and then all the holidays, exams, and year-end stuff starts to happen.
      The past couple years episodes 7(Identity, Kandor)-8(Bloodline, Idol) have been some of the strongest performing episodes in there seasons, I expect the trend continue(especially considering spoilers for one of those 2 episodes)

Originally posted by Dee
      A good thing about SV being in its last season is that they can sort of go wild and have all these crazy, over-the-top story-lines with all these DC characters. Also they can build up relationships a lot faster. For Lana to learn Clark's secret took 6 seasons. Since the show is ending, Lois found out in less than 20 episodes (or however long they've been dating). They're wrapping things up, so all these you expected years ago will finally happen. It unfortunate that SV has lost more than 6 million viewer from its prime, or they could have witnessed him finally flying.
      As for the build up for Lana, I actually think 6 years of stalling it didn't help the ratings(people just got tired and turned off). As you say the show has lost about 5-6M viewers, but a good chunk of that was while Clark didn't tell Lana his secret and they had an angst filled relationship(and let's not forget the move to Friday Nights usually means a good drop off of 30-40% of the viewers, just look at CSI: NY ratings). With S10 being the last season the show has the liberty that they don't have to find ways to drag out the relationship
      Last edited by Supsfan; 10-23-2010, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I'm so happy Smallville rocks the ratings this season!!

I'm sure after watching this season's impressive ratings Ostroff is hitting her head on her office's wall for removing the show from Thursday nights..The ratings would clearly be double.

Comment

Well I was hoping for at least 2.7m, but I was expecting a drop since it was a filler episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
            The past couple years episodes 7(Identity, Kandor)-8(Bloodline, Idol) have been some of the strongest performing episodes in there seasons, I expect the trend continue(especially considering spoilers for one of those 2 episodes)

As for the build up for Lana, I actually think 6 years of stalling it didn't help the ratings(people just got tired and turned off). As you say the show has lost about 5-6M viewers, but a good chunk of that was while Clark didn't tell Lana his secret and they had an angst filled relationship. With S10 being the last season the show has the liberty that they don't have to find ways to drag out the relationship
            I think we agree. I'm also saying stuff will not be dragged out, and the show will be able to hold onto its viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
              Smallville is already #1 on Amazon Video on Demand.
              Currently #3 on Itunes!

Comment

Originally posted by Dee
                I do think the numbers will drop for the next few episodes simply because of Halloween, and then all the holidays, exams, and year-end stuff starts to happen.

A good thing about SV being in its last season is that they can sort of go wild and have all these crazy, over-the-top story-lines with all these DC characters. Also they can build up relationships a lot faster. For Lana to learn Clark's secret took 6 seasons. Since the show is ending, Lois found out in less than 20 episodes (or however long they've been dating). They're wrapping things up, so all these you expected years ago will finally happen. It unfortunate that SV has lost more than 6 million viewer from its prime, or they could have witnessed him finally flying.
                Bottom line with this show is that it's on a small network. When the show received 6 million it was on the WB, not the CW.

No show on the CW ever gets 6 million, not even the most popular and newer shows.

So it's not a sign of Smallville's quality that it isn't getting better. It's the network, the age of the series, and the schedule.

As for viewers who wanted to see Clark fly, do you know that Smallville actually has record breaking DVD sales? Millions and millions of people buy the boxsets every year.

I bet this year they will have their best DVD sales ever! So, those 6 million odd people can buy the DVDs!

Besides, once you factor in DVR ratings, Smallville gets over 3 million each time and for the finale I'm betting with DVR they will get at least 4 million, so a good chunk of the prime 6 million will still get to see the flight (and that's not even including DVD sales!)

So that's great news!

PS: Lois didn't find out in 20 episodes. She's been there since season 4! So maybe Lois and Clark weren't romantically tied but her finding out the secret wasn't as instant as you are trying to make it seem. But yeah, I'm glad that the actual bulk of Lois and Clark romance will happen in 22 episodes and not 6 years where they will spend more time apart being miserable and unhappy than together and united. I very very grateful as a Clois fan for that, to have a fully blissful season that I know will end in hope and love. I wouldn't trade that for the world!

Comment

Originally posted by smallv17

I'm sure after watching this season's impressive ratings Ostroff is hitting her head on her office's wall for removing the show from Thursday nights..The ratings would clearly be double.
                  I wish Dawn were hitting her head. And somehow I highly doubt that she would believe the ratings would be higher if Smallville were on a different night. The woman has an idiotic, stereotypical, biased, and limiting agenda.

That said, I'm happy with the ratings, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee
                    I think we agree. I'm also saying stuff will not be dragged out, and the show will be able to hold onto its viewers.
                    True!

That's another great thing about this being the last year and the series knowing it's the end. Like Erica Durance said in an interview this week, they can pretty much do whatever they want now. They don't have to worry about stalling and if you just look at the romantic aspect of the Lois and Clark relationship, for example, you see that they are not just doing justice to it but they are presenting it in a beautiful and healthy way, much more healthy than any relationship in the past had (and I'm not just talking about Clark based relationships, mind you - I'm also talking about Lois's relationship with Oliver, Chloe's with Jimmy, Lana's with Whitney, ect...). Most relationships suffered from the fact that they were literally relationships in a drama series. Sure it's mostly a scifi/fantasy series but it certainly has it's drama aspects, so relationships could never be "happy" for long. I mean even a relationship as sweet and goodnatured as Chloe and JImmy, which I felt had all the ingredients to last forever turned ugly.

With Lois and Clark being saved for last and with them being lucky enough to have a full season to themselves - (because can you imagine what it would have been like for the series to end in season 8? I would have been devastated as a Lois and Clark fan because we would have had zero development. Now what about it ending in season 9? I wouldn't have been devastated with that but I wouldn't have been thrilled. I would have felt that I got my cake but I didn't get the frosting and the sprinkles and the whole celebration that goes with a cake) - Lois and Clark fans can get the most perfect development of their ship and have it basically be drama-free to boot!

So we've been able to enjoy everything other couples have had in the past but with none of the bitter parts that make fans cringe and take away from the 'fairytale' vibe of the story. All of season 10, especially Homecoming/Isis feel like a beautiful dream right now for Lois and Clark. It's just perfect.
                    Last edited by Candice; 10-23-2010, 09:58 AM.

Comment

That is still really good. Homecoming's ratings were just exceptional. It was a big event episode with some genuine promotion in internet media. We likely won't see ratings like that again until the series finale unless they do another event episode in the middle like they did with AJ last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Candice
                        No show on the CW ever gets 6 million, not even the most popular and newer shows.
                        No show even gets 4M anymore on the CW

I think you have to look at the state of ratings in general on TV since S2 of SV(when it got it's highest ratings of 7.8M viewers). If you look at ratings for shows back then, the top 10 shows would all crack 20M viewers, now with stuff like PVRs, itunes, cable trying harder to get an audience with first run shows, etc it's hard to find 1 show crack the top 10 with 20M viewers(2 of the top shows seems to be reality competitions Dancing with the Stars and American Idol, beyond those 2 shows it's sub 20M for most others)

Part of SV decline in ratings is just the general downtrend for any show as it goes to another year, part general downtrend in ratings in general for network TV, and the Friday night move.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
                          No show even gets 4M anymore on the CW

I think you have to look at the state of ratings in general on TV since S2 of SV(when it got it's highest ratings of 7.8M viewers). If you look at ratings for shows back then, the top 10 shows would all crack 20M viewers, now with stuff like PVRs, itunes, cable trying harder to get an audience with first run shows, etc it's hard to find 1 show crack the top 10 with 20M viewers(2 of the top shows seems to be reality competitions Dancing with the Stars and American Idol, beyond those 2 shows it's sub 20M for most others)

Part of SV decline in ratings is just the general downtrend for any show as it goes to another year, part general downtrend in ratings in general for network TV, and the Friday night move.

That true. Thanks for the insight! A lot of the times you just see people blaming the writing a show for a decline in ratings over something as dramatic as ten years when in that ten years so many factors are contributing to a decline in ratings, many as you state, that go beyond the show, the network and speak more about our culture and our technological advances.

I guess if people want to criticize the show they can do so but if people really want an honest look at what has been happening with Smallville, they can't ignore any of what you have posted above.

Anyway, I'm curious to know how Supernatural did in the ratings. It's been giving people a good basis for comparison since it's on the same night now.

Comment

Originally posted by Candice
                            Anyway, I'm curious to know how Supernatural did in the ratings. It's been giving people a good basis for comparison since it's on the same night now.

The CW remained consistent care of the final season of Smallville (Viewers: #5, 2.48 million; A18-49: #2, 1.0/ 4) and compatible Supernatural (Viewers: #5, 2.48 million; A18-49: #3, 1.1/ 4)

Comment

Originally posted by smallv17

Actually, I'm convinced she's channeling Toad from X-Men. "Don't you people ever DIE???"

I think she hates Smallville and has been secretly hoping it would slink off and die for ages. Just based on how the CW treats the show.

In my mind, she's like a cheesy comic book villain. Sitting in her office going, "I've shot it, stabbed it, strangled it, drowned it...what does it take to KILL this thing???"

Comment

Pretty good ratings, yet again.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎