No announcement yet.

Bugboy !

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clark surprised by Bug Boy?

I know I'm being very picky here and I loved the throwback for nostalgic reasons and the message delivered was great, but shouldn't Clark have known Bug Boy recovered? After all, he has still lived in the town since it is a very small town, doesn't everybody know everybody else's business?

For the same reason, should everybody at the reunion have been so surprised to learn about who Clark is with or who Lois is? After all, Lois and Clark are at the epicenter of the town (the Talon) all the time!

Comment

L & C probably spend more time in Metropolis than SV; and Clark's farm isn't in the center of town, so I could buy the fact that he wouldn't know who/what everyone in Smallville is doing. I'm more bothered by SV being the go-to place from Metropolis when it's 2 or 3 hours away (depending on the writer, the season, the phase of the moon). It always strikes me as a far commute for Lois to make.....and by now Clark must have someone tending the farm for him. Yeah, he could super-speed the chores in a few moments, but you can't feed the cows a week's worth in a moment! Oh, right, Shelby knows how to feed the cows (and milk them) it's the only way he/she gets to eat....

Comment

Keep in mind that Bug Boy mave have been in hiding (he killed his mother after all) or he may have been in Belle Reeve for the past few years.

And Smallville isn't that small actually. It had 25,001 citizens in 1989 and 45,001 in 2001.

Comment

let's not forget that when Clark defeated bug boy all those years ago he was broken into hundreds of individual insects (if memory serves). Who knows how long it took for him to actually reform into his human body?

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
            I'd hardly call nine years, "suddenly". When we "last" saw him, he was transformed into thousands of bugs. Meaning, that (given the fact, that he didn't just revert back to human, instantly) he's probably spent a great deal, of that time, trying to re-take human form and during that time, learned to controll those instincts (though, they could've made this clearer, in Homecoming. Like done a scene, where Clark and Greg meet and Greg explains these facts, what he's been up to and what he plans to do, with his life).
            In those nine years, Greg Arkin also reacquired his need for glasses, bought a new vehicle complete with a vanity plate, possibly reconnected with his father who was briefly mentioned in Season 1, managed to RSVP for his high school reunion (seeing that there was a nametag there for him) and also had his previous crimes mostly forgotten about by the general public because he was in a gymnasium full of his ex-classmates walking around with a nametag and nobody appeared to be the least bit concerned by it.

Comment

It was a nice touch

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by mantaray
              And now he can suddenly control his instincts?

Also, didn't he like Lana and dislike his mother before he became Bugboy? So his actions were not all driven by blind instinct, but also by what was already in his heart.

He grew up so yes
              Last edited by aerdna; 10-20-2010, 12:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Not to sound stuipd or anything but a lot can change in 10 years.

Oh he was also kind of hot!!!!

Him and Clark look great when they're dressed up.

Comment

Originally posted by kp1984
                  He was Clark friend many years ago before he was his enemy. Maybe he could join the hero team J/K. Was not expecting that.
                  Maybe not join the "hero team" but pop up again, yes. I've mulled over the idea of a fan fiction in which the new Bugboy acquires the Isis Foundation and then takes it over to help people who are the same way he used to be. You know, just carrying on what Lana and Chloe were using it for.

Comment

I actually dont think that it could have worked with any other meteor freak...

I dont know who the actor is, but he totally nailed it on the head.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                      When Clark fought him, Greg was driven by instincts, that he weren't able to control. He Killed his mother, tried to kill Whitney and desired to mate, with Lana (which, due to it not being consentual, would've been rape). But, Clark stopped him (otherwise Greg would've continued killing and raped Lana). And most likely, during these past nine years (when he was trying to re-take human form), Greg learned to control those instincts, so he wouldn't be a danger to anyone, anymore.

So, his gratitude towards Clark, is based on him stopping him from killing again or hurt Lana.
                      Would the been werid if he met Lana now.

Comment

• Originally posted by aerdna
                        He grew up so yes
                        Just because Bugboy grew up doesn't mean he goes from evil to good. Example: Lex.

Comment

• Originally posted by mantaray
                          Just because Bugboy grew up doesn't mean he goes from evil to good. Example: Lex.
                          Ah, but the point of Lex's path was that it was "a journey, not a lightswitch." Greg's obviously been places we haven't seen, and he's learned to make better decisions than Lex did. Looks successful, too. Maybe he's got a business doing humane pest control. He could be -- The Arkin Man!

As for how Greg ended up, I guess we never really saw whether he could have had the power to reconstitute himself after turning into a swarm of bugs. We did see a deviation from the official web comic (but the show never follows those anyway) where Greg apparently came to a bad end at 33.1.

Comment

• Originally posted by amidaladaae
                            Haha, he was already much older than the cast in 2010. We should be thankful he didn't gain 50+ pounds and was still available.
                            Actor who played sahsa(Shonda farr) was the oldest. She was even older then TW. She was 9 months younger then MR. She pulled it off pretty good. Look like she really could the been a teen. If that actress ever came back she would have to be 37 playing a 23/24 year old. The character came back in 2007 but a diffrent actress was used.

Comment

• Originally posted by trekkie
                              Come to think of it. I dont see the point of him being there it would of been cooler to see jonathon taylor thomas character again even though clark didnt really help him lol and i cant remember he got killed or not.
                              Eric Summers (while having super strength) backhanded Ian, sending him flying through a metal pipe (presumably killing him). Even if he didn't, Ian appeared twice and showed no sign or interest in reforming in either. He couldn't really show up again, reformed, and wanting to thank Clark.

Originally posted by Titan27
                              What made it really great that they picked "Bugboy" was in the episode "Metamorphosis" it was mentioned how Greg, Pete and Clark used to be best friends. I think by picking him it made it much more personal for the story and what Clark's influence is really like for all those in the show. It showed Clark reforming an old friend and being grateful for it.
                              I don't think that it has to do with their former friendship. According to the commentary for "Metamorphosis", the idea behind Greg was having a guy who was in love with Lana, just like Clark (only more obsessive). Here he now re-appears, nine years later, seemingly having gotten over Lana Lang. Clark and Greg are two men, who were both obsessed with Lana in high school, both now shown to have gotten over her. We're assured that everyone eventually get over Lana Lang.

So, the returning FOTW couldn't be Sean Kelvin, Jodi Melville, Jeff Palmer, Eric Summers (who'd have the added on problem, that the actor's twin brother played Jimmy Olsen; So, Clark should think that it's Jimmy, not Eric), Justin Gaines or Eric Marsh, as none of them fancied Lana.

It had to be someone who fancied Lana and was antagonistic, last time that Clark saw them. This leave you with three people: Greg Arkin, Tina Greer and Seth Nelson. Seth Nelson was last seen in a coma (with dialogue implying that he wouldn't remember anything, if he woke up). Leaving us with Tina and Greg. Both seemingly killed in their previous appearance. However, Greg's fate was left more ambigious of the two (even if details in "Visage", "Extinction", "Fade" and this episode makes it possible that Tina survived). Tina Greer was more high profile (meaning that people would've reacted to see her there). Not to mention, his actor was probably cheaper than Lizzy Caplan.

It would've been great, if they had the time (and budget), to do follow-up on more of the FOTWs that Clark encountered. Show a montage, where Brainiac 5 shows Clark their gratitude and how their lives are now. Sadly, creativety is often hampered by budgets and restrictions on the runtime.

Originally posted by kaliber
                              I didn't see this mentioned in any other threads, but did anyone else notice that the file the guidance counselor was holding when ranting was for none other than Alicia Baker?
                              Along with Jake Pullen ("Extinction") and Tina Greer. The only question is when she dealt with those two (as they're supposed to be meteor freaks, with criminal records; Jake died before having one; Tina was sent to a mental hospital her freshman year, died during the sophmore year. Why would she have interacted with the guidance counselor?)? Their presence raises some questions (though, the presence of Tina kinda fuels my Tina is not dead theory).

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                              He was chosen because he was the first onscreen meteor freak but maybe it would have been better to select a actual Belle Reeve inmate.
                              I think the Belle Reve kids were largely resolved by "Cure". As we saw with Sasha, there is now a medical procedure (removing both powers and memories). From that, it's likely that everyone who Clark sent to Belle Reve were put through this procedure (meaning that they wouldn't remember Clark, or him stopping them).

Originally posted by Blue85
                              I know I'm being very picky here and I loved the throwback for nostalgic reasons and the message delivered was great, but shouldn't Clark have known Bug Boy recovered? After all, he has still lived in the town since it is a very small town, doesn't everybody know everybody else's business?
                              The car that Greg arrives in has Metropolis plates. So, Greg doesn't live in Smallville anymore. He probably took off a long time ago (as there'd be nothing for him in Smallville, outside of the dangers of being arrested for murder).

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎