Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Supergirl, why bother with Superman?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Supergirl, why bother with Superman?

I think this is a failing of the writers here. By having Supergirl be the first one to emerge in the world of Smallville, that means Clark is merely following her. The debut of Superman in the SV universe should be a game-changer...how is Superman now any different than Supergirl? This reminds me of when they decided to give Lana all of Clark's powers and none of his weaknessess. The writers seem to consistently forget that his show is about Superman.

Superman is now just another person who can fly in the world of Smallville. Is there big excuse going to be that he's the first person to have the name Superman now?

i think u have the world still not trusting heroes and Clark's "Superman" will be the one that changes everything and make the world accept heroes....kinda like Superman: Secret Origins...he'll probably do a save so big that they all will look to him

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Pipes
      I think this is a failing of the writers here. By having Supergirl be the first one to emerge in the world of Smallville, that means Clark is merely following her. The debut of Superman in the SV universe should be a game-changer...how is Superman now any different than Supergirl?
      I think you answered your own question here: the way Superman will be different from the Maiden of Might (she wasn't named Supergirl in this episode) is that Superman will be a game changer. Kara going public didn't change anything and it certainly didn't have the effect Clark's eventual public debut will have. Superman will lead the next generation of heroes and his public presence will inspire people and give them hope. Kara failed to accomplish any of that. In fact, Kara's interest in going public had nothing to do with being a team player or inspiring humans. She was all about the mission and nothing else. Going public was just a means to an end to draw "The Darkness" to her.

Comment

Originally posted by thereason
        i think u have the world still not trusting heroes and Clark's "Superman" will be the one that changes everything and make the world accept heroes....kinda like Superman: Secret Origins...he'll probably do a save so big that they all will look to him
        I kinda see Clark at the end of "Shield" going to this direction. Especially when Oliver is now revealing his identity.

Kara beats Clark with flying but I think the people respect Clarks Blur more at this point. And we haven't heard of Lana. So even if we have these superpowered beings in Smallville universe Clark is still going to be the one to inspire everyone and hopefully prove that superheroes are needed.

Comment

lol, Lana would have killed all Kandorians by walking into their room and punching them once. The amount of Kryptonite concentrated in her is insane, it wouldn't take much than a second to take all of them out, and a super punch to kill them.

Comment

I thought she was awesome. She looks just like the Michael Turner drawing and had that huge personality that Supergirl is known for. Before or after Clark's debut as Superman, she was gonna have the same effect. I believe in the comics, she was always portrayed as more popular than Clark as well when she first comes out in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobby4Chloe
              I thought she was awesome. She looks just like the Michael Turner drawing and had that huge personality that Supergirl is known for. Before or after Clark's debut as Superman, she was gonna have the same effect. I believe in the comics, she was always portrayed as more popular than Clark as well when she first comes out in public.

Totally agree! She looks just like Kara Zor-El from the comic Superman/Batman/Supergirl.
              Laura would be perfect in a Justice League or Superman film.

Comment

Kara's show

Originally posted by malcrew
                Totally agree! She looks just like Kara Zor-El from the comic Superman/Batman/Supergirl.
                Laura would be perfect in a Justice League or Superman film.
                I agree with the idea about the film role but let's not forget television. I understand that during season 7 a Kara/Supergirl show was considered by CW but dropped. I urge the CW to take this last chance to get Laura Vandervoort on their wagon.

Comment

The opening post has it right. The thing is people have seen Kara flying. They saw her catch that billboard in broad daylight. They have seen her and when Clark finally shows up as Superman it shall be anticlimatic. Whatever they do to finally present Clark as Superman it better be a real showstoper considering how much the main character can be devalued so much on his own show.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Pipes
                    I think this is a failing of the writers here. By having Supergirl be the first one to emerge in the world of Smallville, that means Clark is merely following her. The debut of Superman in the SV universe should be a game-changer...how is Superman now any different than Supergirl? This reminds me of when they decided to give Lana all of Clark's powers and none of his weaknessess. The writers seem to consistently forget that his show is about Superman.

Superman is now just another person who can fly in the world of Smallville. Is there big excuse going to be that he's the first person to have the name Superman now?
                    ITA with this. The producers just don't care abt keeping any of Clark;s journey special or unique, IMO and they inherited this attitude from AlMiles. Over the yrs all kinds of firsts have been taken from Clark and given to other heroes, and this was the final nail in the coffin for me. I don't understand WHY they did this. Let's not forget, now Kara is the first to wear glasses as well.

Comment

Originally posted by haltoe
                      I agree with the idea about the film role but let's not forget television. I understand that during season 7 a Kara/Supergirl show was considered by CW but dropped. I urge the CW to take this last chance to get Laura Vandervoort on their wagon.
                      If the CW was smart they would try to keep Smallville's audience with a Supergirl show. Laura's perfect in the role.

Comment

Technically she really isn't Supergirl just yet...it doesn't bother me at all that she revealed herself to the world first, Smallville is its own mythos and shouldn't be required to follow the Superman mythos in any way IMO. It may be Clark's fault Kara revealed herself to the world first if what Kara said about Jor-El is true.

Comment

I like the switch around as its a new concept.

Comment

Originally posted by humera
                            ITA with this. The producers just don't care abt keeping any of Clark;s journey special or unique, IMO and they inherited this attitude from AlMiles. Over the yrs all kinds of firsts have been taken from Clark and given to other heroes, and this was the final nail in the coffin for me. I don't understand WHY they did this. Let's not forget, now Kara is the first to wear glasses as well.

What had me the most frustrated was the fact that they put her in the iconic colors. Sure they stopped shy of putting the S on her chest, but I feel they did enough damage in just presenting those colors on anyone other than clark, first. I'm struggling to see how they are ever going to give this Superman the gravitas he so deserves.

Comment

This is a question I've been asking since I was 8. Supergirl rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎