No announcement yet.

Supergirl: Copied from other media?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supergirl: Copied from other media?

Don't get me wrong this episode left me very sastified, but I can't stop thinking about how some parts of it were copiying heroes in other media.

For example:
    1. The promo music felt like inception's trailer music.
    2. The Darkseid's speech felt like Cobb's (Inception/film) speech, although more sinester.
    3. Kara's speech to clark, felt a little like Rachel Dawes talking with Bruce Wayne @ the hotel's entrance.
    4. The hero revealing his identity to the press (Iron Man).
    Or is just me?

Well. It seems like they are heading toward a combination of Kingdom Come, where the superheros are all unmasked, and the Supergirl comic, where Darkseid corrupts her. Just my opinion though.

Comment

It just you, even if I agree with point number four.

Comment

5. Smoke Monster From Lost. lol

Comment

6. That movie with the crow and Brandon Lee, I think it was called... ...oh I forgot.

Comment

The calling the heroes "mutants" That comes from Marvel, and reading the OD for Harvest makes that stand out a lot more.

Comment

After over 70 years of comic book plots,it must be hard to come up with fresh ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Alicia Chipy
                After over 70 years of comic book plots,it must be hard to come up with fresh ideas.
                Yes that is the point instead of mining the rich history that Superman has they are taking plot points from other media, and they are not even clever about it.

Comment

The recurring "Mutant" was just screaming X Men

Comment

Originally posted by Alterno
                    Don't get me wrong this episode left me very sastified, but I can't stop thinking about how some parts of it were copiying heroes in other media.

For example:
                    1. The promo music felt like inception's trailer music.
                    2. The Darkseid's speech felt like Cobb's (Inception/film) speech, although more sinester.
                    3. Kara's speech to clark, felt a little like Rachel Dawes talking with Bruce Wayne @ the hotel's entrance.
                    4. The hero revealing his identity to the press (Iron Man).
                    Or is just me?
                    Have you just been watching Nolan movies a lot recently?

Since when is Iron Man the first to come out to the press?

Comment

That final scene was way too much of an Iron Man ripoff. I even thought they would play Black Sabbath's Iron Man in the end credits.

Comment

I'd agree with all your points, except for the 4th. Mostly cause Iron Man is perhaps the worst hero imho, but also because since when was he the first hero to reveal himself to the world?! But Godfrey's speech definitely had a hint of Inception to it although it's not really an original idea to try to get people to believe a certain thought, everything is copied from something!

Comment

Originally posted by Estro-gen X
                          Have you just been watching Nolan movies a lot recently?

Since when is Iron Man the first to come out to the press?
                          Well yeah I watch his movie, but that changes the fact of Smallville writers copying from other media, which other heroe has revealed his identity on screen?

@Alicia Chipy

It would have been better if they were called freaks or meteor freaks, linking the current situation to smallville (show) origins... warning people about how those meteor freaks turned into criminals and linking them to the blur.

Gosh writers are really overpaid.

Comment

Godfreys speech was so taken from "Inception". It was really a good motive for him. Much better than going randomly in a bondage bar...

Comment

Well you are limited to the amount of Superheroes that have been on screen period and the ones that have been on screen have put great stock in their secret identity. Iron Man was the first to do it on film, that doesn't copyright the move considering the source material shows he wasn't the first and he wasn't the last. Coming out was a massive part of The Dark Knight for example, Bruce steps forward to do it before Harvey lies and says its him. Rich boys and their toys in front of an adoring press. The similarity is striking. The big spectacle of the press is to show that its a big moment and adds some grandeur that publishing it on a blog or a pre-recorded interview would not. It gives the announcement a reaction. The placement at the end of the episode is similar to Iron Man but where else would the revelation go? The end of an episode is a statement about where the show goes from there.

We can also contrast it with Iron Man. Stark initially tries to deny it before smuggly proclaiming his awesome. Ollie was very different, he was there to do one thing and he knew it was going to change his life for the worst. Those are two completely different character traits. Ollie wasn't on a pedestal and the press didn't keep their distance like they did with Iron Man. Ollie was mobbed. The staging of it puts Ollie on a level with the people around him which is how Ollie always wants to be (fighting for the average guy). Stark announced his ID triumphantly, Ollie confessed it with fear in his eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎