This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special effects in Supergirl

talk about them here.

i am sure we will get some good flying fx's tonight with kara. Also cant wait for anything else.

Comment

As usual, it was pretty slick for a lower-budget show like this.

Also, funfact, Laura Vandervoort usually does her own stunts. She's a blackbelt in Kara-tay. She could just as easy play a ninja as a flying superhuman alien.

Comment

special fx were terrible! ugh, it made me cringe. first the billboard. then the windmill was obviously a green screen or whatever. all i could think was if they had to do these scenes in season 1 it would've looked great. someone needs to give that show some money!!! i'm feeling cheated.

Comment

..Since i'm a SFX addict- my review-

The Flight was done intrestingly enough- butthe ep started out with superspeed- the billboard

the SFX Producers are SKIMPING on the speed- we don't get blur effects anymore to represent the power-

I suspect this is because they're pinching pennies for whatever they've loaded up the rest of the season with- but it actually ..makes be a bit ticked- i really think this entire season should get the budget to WOW every episode so we have something to hold over until Warner brothers and DC comics can eventually spit out a superman movie 3-5 years from now...

The flight was allright- they skimped on the wave effects(read: superspeed fx that went into flight in majority fo SV flights prior)
          , HOWEVER, they did allright with the city dash where kara chased Clark-

Oh, the final fight was allright.

i for one did not notice the falling thru barn thing as being "horrible" in comparison to the worst traditionally..

Entity FX, Why pass up the ole Clark time in full for Blur-speed so much?

Anyway, I haven't seen such a good Speed-thru-city scene since Justice, it was allright.

I await what they've got planned in the future....
          Last edited by tippership commander; 10-08-2010, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SVfan87
            special fx were terrible! ugh, it made me cringe. first the billboard. then the windmill was obviously a green screen or whatever. all i could think was if they had to do these scenes in season 1 it would've looked great. someone needs to give that show some money!!! i'm feeling cheated.
            My thoughts exactly.
            When you just saw her hovering there with the billboard it was really really bad, I nearly threw up.
            There was no need for that massive long CGI shot. They could have just had a series of close ups and zooms and pull backs and made it look a lot better.
            I hate when they CGI the material, that red sheet urrugh!

Comment

Originally posted by SVfan87

I Feel Cheated Too! Idk why, but The Effects for Season 10 so far have been horrible. Except for that Car Explosion in "Shield".

Did The CW Cut Smallville's Budget Even More? ugh, I hope things improve, or it's going to be a long season.

Comment

Is it just me or are the slow motion/superspeed scenes getting worse?

Comment

That billboard effect was very fake. I cringed...

I hope the lack of good effects in this ep indicates an abundance of effects in future eps

Comment

Crap, crap, so much crap. After the amazing car scene last week, I expected better. But most of the effects were REALLY bad. The billboard falling and Kara flying... ugh. That horrible sheet at the end so they didn't have to spend money on seeing Clark save Lois. I did, however, like the first shot of Clark and Kara up on the Windmill. That was good. Then in the close up of them on there is was pretty obvious it was green screen, but... oh well.

And yeah, we never really get superspeed shots anymore. It's usually just a close up of Clark quickly zooming offscreen, or we don't see it at all and just hear the sound effect.

How is it that a main network show has such a low effects budget, but shows like Stargate and Battlestar Galactica on a cable network have such amazing special effects?

Here's hoping they skimped on this episode and we'll get some good stuff in the 200th.

Comment

Originally posted by The Short One
                      Is it just me or are the slow motion/superspeed scenes getting worse?
                      I mentioend that-

they're not doing "clark time" aka everythign is FROZEN IN TIMe like they did ebfore

which sucks, because in eps like identity, (where clark outran jimmy's camera flash) , solitude(clark was confirmed to be lightspeed somewhat), and artic(where electrons were frozen, )

you'd think he'd not skimp on hsi own powers

ESPECIALLY after s9 where he got Freeze breath down

i can think of a few reasons

#1. Regulations by DC/Warner/whoever are telling them nto to do anythign mega- could be for any reason....

#2. budget was cut short- if true, they really screwed the producers over
                      #3. They chose to portray his speed differently this time- if so, they haven't got it down to the level where it's as ....easy to understand as beforee. Nor is it as easy to see as superman returns, but they might not be able to hhelp it.
                      #4. they're pinching PENNIES up the ying yang to save for the final few eps, get enough moolah to do Supes flying, fighting at super speed for maybe half a episode ,and give us a super battle we've been waiting for since DC Comics told them nto to let Clark land a hit on Doomsday(DCdidn't think SV had established enough of it's own canon to get major funds i guess...although there's more to tstory by far actually.

anyway, or #5. other

But For the record- Smallville effects are the best thing since the MATRIX a decade ago- and Superman is a fitting franchise to get to use them.

Comment

the kara fly/save scene was pretty cool. As for the saving clark. Clark's flying lesson was also pretty cool.

Comment

I wasn't a huge fan of the effects this week. I thought the billboard looked cool at first glance but then...they kind of had this long shot of it and then it falling, and Kara catching it and stuff and it just looked real phony I did however really enjoy the flight lesson.

Comment

sure they did look a little cheap but still decent enough for a tv budget. plus i agree they are likely saving money for the final episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by superspider02
                              sure they did look a little cheap but still decent enough for a tv budget. plus i agree they are likely saving money for the final episodes.
                              Agreed

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎