No announcement yet.

"The Return" Ratings

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Return" Ratings

According to THR the premiere had 3.4 million viewers. More details to come soon I'm sure.

Sounds good. But I would have thought more about the premire, but a very good start nevertheless.

Comment

It did pretty good. But yeah...I would have thought it would have had more. The show after it, Nikita, did 3.6 million.

Comment

Here's the CW's press release: http://www.ksitetv.com/the-cws-press...s-performance/

Comment

the Ratings are Okay but not great Nikita did Better plus it's going to drop after the premiere so it's not an impressive start i think the episodes after the premiere will drop below 3 million the season average will be lower than last season

Comment

I'm sure Nikita will drop 0.5 million or something. As for The Vampire Diaries ratings, yeah, they could have been better. But weren't they running up against football? I really don't think the ratings will drop below 3 million...but we'll see.

Comment

Wow i knew TVD would fall. Should have left Smallville and Supernatural where they were. The CW needs to get off this womens only network thing and expect the audience they have.The one two punch stayed above 4mil and hit 5 a couple of times. TVD was good but the twists they throw in has lost its shock factor. I have come to expect that so it took away from the show. I knew Caroline would be turned and knew last year Tyler was a werewolf boring.. Bonnie and Damon saved last nite. Kat was a let down for evil. It took a 25% drop from last year so just imagine the drop when they become old news and the fad for vamps play out.

Also glad to see the NFL knows the New Orleans Saints are a ratings magnet. PERIOD! Considering our superbowl was the most watched event in U.S history! Geaux home team!

Comment

Smallville and Supernatural were a killer team on Thursdays, I agree. The CW were stupid to seperate them from each other. And now they're back together, on fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by doodie8808
                  Wow i knew TVD would fall. Should have left Smallville and Supernatural where they were. The CW needs to get off this womens only network thing and expect the audience they have.The one two punch stayed above 4mil and hit 5 a couple of times. TVD was good but the twists they throw in has lost its shock factor. I have come to expect that so it took away from the show. I knew Caroline would be turned and knew last year Tyler was a werewolf boring.. Bonnie and Damon saved last nite. Kat was a let down for evil. It took a 25% drop from last year so just imagine the drop when they become old news and the fad for vamps play out.

Also glad to see the NFL knows the New Orleans Saints are a ratings magnet. PERIOD! Considering our superbowl was the most watched event in U.S history! Geaux home team!
                  Well to be fair, it started about where it ended last year. It didn't really fall off much from the finale. All new shows premiere high then settle in, so you can't really compare this premiere to last years. It did the same ratings it did the entire second half of last year.

I too miss SN/SV Thursdays (but am glad to have them back on Fridays)!! But the last season or 2 neither show came close to hitting 5 million. SV stayed around 4 mil and SN around 3 million, sometimes a little under, sometimes over. So the network really hasn't seen much of a drop off for the night. And I say that as a big fan of SN and SV. But lets face it, the days when both shows routinly crossed 4-5 million are long gone. CW didn't lose anything by moving those shows to Friday. In fact, from a business sense, they gained. They now have stable players on Friday night, something they did not have before. So its a win-win for everyone

I expect Nikita to drop next week. Not because it wasn't good, because I enjoyed it. Rather, because it is a new show. Those who were simply curious will tune out. It will probably stablize around TVD levels. And for the CW, those are good levels.

I have to disagree about the premiere though. It's funny how two people can watch the same thing and come away with two totally different perceptions I loved it and thought it did manage to genuinely surprise and shock. I don't think Tyler being a werewolf was supposed to be any big secret or a shocking reveal. They dropped major hints last year. But Caroline...I didn't see it coming at all!

And as for vampires in general, they are here to stay. They may not maintain the current level of popularity, but they've been around in pop culture since the 1800's and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
                  Last edited by chole_fan; 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

For the cw that is gold.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by doodie8808

Have you read spoilers? Because I wasn't expecting a Caroline vampire at all. That was totally out of the blue. But I do agree they need to stop with SO MANY shock factors. Sometimes ya just want a good character to not be killed off for a shock, or turned into a vampire for shock factor.
                    Last edited by LuthorKent90; 09-10-2010, 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

even if Smallville and Supernatural stayed together on Thursday nights, I think it's pretty safe to assume their ratings would still be smaller than The Vampire Diaries.

The CW Network is to blame really.

The ratings for all of their shows has been dropping consistently throughout the years. Realistically, the only ones watching the shows anymore are dedicated fans.

Everyone loves procedural cop shows and medical dramas more than teenage dramas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter
                        The ratings for all of their shows has been dropping consistently throughout the years. Realistically, the only ones watching the shows anymore are dedicated fans.
                        Not only that, but since you don't have to be home to watch the shows anymore, because of the DVR, and alot of people download each episode, so they never miss a beat, but the ratings suffer. Didn't Smallville consistently get 5+ million viewers in the early 2000s? I think you are right when you say that just the dedicated fans tune in.

Comment

Originally posted by Krypto_marcus
                          I'm sure Nikita will drop 0.5 million or something. As for The Vampire Diaries ratings, yeah, they could have been better. But weren't they running up against football? I really don't think the ratings will drop below 3 million...but we'll see.
                          true but i don't see it increasing throughout the episodes either and that's a 30% Decrease from last season which is not a good sign even with football i expected the season premiere to have over 4 million viewers

Comment

Originally posted by shanemak
                            Not only that, but since you don't have to be home to watch the shows anymore, because of the DVR, and alot of people download each episode, so they never miss a beat, but the ratings suffer. Didn't Smallville consistently get 5+ million viewers in the early 2000s? I think you are right when you say that just the dedicated fans tune in.
                            It was way more than that, actually. As a whole, what was once the WB and now CW have seen their overall ratings drop dramatically over the years. Funneling 90% of the programming into one niche is probably one reason why.

But, speaking to TVD, I'd say the ratings are right where it'll probably stay for the rest of the year. I can see it going higher, but never over 4.5/5million. One reason I can think of why the premiere was relatively low (similar numbers to the last half of the previous season is still a dropoff) is b/c of how early it premiered. Most networks and most shows are premiering either this week or next week. I remember a few years ago tuning in to surprisingly find a show I watched on CW/WB was premiering. I suspect this week's episode will do better, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by chole_fan
                              Well to be fair, it started about where it ended last year. It didn't really fall off much from the finale. All new shows premiere high then settle in, so you can't really compare this premiere to last years. It did the same ratings it did the entire second half of last year.

I too miss SN/SV Thursdays (but am glad to have them back on Fridays)!! But the last season or 2 neither show came close to hitting 5 million. SV stayed around 4 mil and SN around 3 million, sometimes a little under, sometimes over. So the network really hasn't seen much of a drop off for the night. And I say that as a big fan of SN and SV. But lets face it, the days when both shows routinly crossed 4-5 million are long gone. CW didn't lose anything by moving those shows to Friday. In fact, from a business sense, they gained. They now have stable players on Friday night, something they did not have before. So its a win-win for everyone

I expect Nikita to drop next week. Not because it wasn't good, because I enjoyed it. Rather, because it is a new show. Those who were simply curious will tune out. It will probably stablize around TVD levels. And for the CW, those are good levels.

I have to disagree about the premiere though. It's funny how two people can watch the same thing and come away with two totally different perceptions I loved it and thought it did manage to genuinely surprise and shock. I don't think Tyler being a werewolf was supposed to be any big secret or a shocking reveal. They dropped major hints last year. But Caroline...I didn't see it coming at all!

And as for vampires in general, they are here to stay. They may not maintain the current level of popularity, but they've been around in pop culture since the 1800's and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Yeah season 6,7,and 8 Smalville did hit 5mil a couple of times or close too it. When i said fad i mean how all shows new shows are revelent now but it seems by the fouth season trhe lose steam and cool which they usually do. i know vamps have been around but it seems to be a the forefront again because of twilight. It was cooled for a few years before that so what will happen when it starts to cool again to shows based on it.

Originally posted by LuthorKent90
                              For the cw that is gold.

Have you read spoilers? Because I wasn't expecting a Caroline vampire at all. That was totally out of the blue. But I do agree they need to stop with SO MANY shock factors. Sometimes ya just want a good character to not be killed off for a shock, or turned into a vampire for shock factor.

No i didnt read asoplier about that but looking at people who die to save them seems like giving vamp blood is the cure. As soon as bonnie sugessted it i knew she would turn or something else major would happen with it. It always does when dealing with vamp blood. Most of their twists come from it so the shock value of using it is now boring tbh.
                              Last edited by doodie8808; 09-14-2010, 11:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎