Series 6 (Series 2/Season 32/Series Otter) news

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quinny06
    The Cybermen will be back in the mid-season finale, A Good Man Goes To War:

The BBC has released a new promotional image for the upcoming series/season of Doctor Who, revealing that the Cybermen will be making a return appearance.

Also, BBC have confirmed Episode One will be on at 6pm on April 23rd
    Thanks!.. and It looks like Rory in his Roman soldier getup with the cyberman.. interesting.

Comment

I would be happy never to see another Dalek ever again on the show. The cybermen I don't mind so much. Though the cycle of daleks-cybermen-daleks-cybermen is a bit old.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekken Force
        I would be happy never to see another Dalek ever again on the show. The cybermen I don't mind so much. Though the cycle of daleks-cybermen-daleks-cybermen is a bit old.
        Seriously? I don't think I'll ever get tired of the Daleks. They're as iconic as the Doctor, the TARDIS, or any other core element of the show. Sometimes it doesn't feel like proper Doctor Who unless the Doctor and companion are being chased down by those pepper-pots.

Comment

Seriously? I don't think I'll ever get tired of the Daleks. They're as iconic as the Doctor, the TARDIS, or any other core element of the show. Sometimes it doesn't feel like proper Doctor Who unless the Doctor and companion are being chased down by those pepper-pots.
          Its the same for me. I love the Daleks and they are just so much a part of Doctor Who that they need to make an appearance every so often or things seem wrong.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by MissWofflez
            Doctor/rose was perfect- and the show thought so to coz in the end rose got the doctor, but now the doctor with river, i mean river just seems soo old lol but then again the doctor is 907 i just forget that alot!
            I don't want the poor Doctor to end up alone, I just don't like him with River Song. I mean I know she's mysterious and all fasinating and clever and brilliant like himself, I don't dispute that but I just don't like them as a probably married couple. Plus that is so predictable, I'm almost disappointed. I was kind of hoping she'd turn out to be something less obvious than that! It takes the mystery out of her a little.

Yay, Cybermen again! lol. I don't mind Cybermen or Daleks again as they are classic, iconic Doctor Who characters and link all the various incarnations of the Doctor together. It's inevitable that the Doctor would come across them again and will do about ten thousand more times in the future.

Comment

I used to enjoy them a great deal too, it's just that making them show up so regularly lessens their threat a bit, if they were to be given a bit of a rest, it would give it more impact the next time they did show up. It's like Tennant said on Graham Norton show: "Not the daleks again!" lol.

Comment

New trailer:

http://youtu.be/_6wTNPpXXOM

One more week!

Comment

Daleks will always be the major threat for Doctor Who and considering how they are made more powerful in the last season, you need to see them again. I am cool with the cybermen, because I felt they got the short end of the stick during the RTS run. Sure they were part of the Season 2 finale and had a Christmas special, but they haven't been as fleshed out as the Daleks were in the current run. If the races, I don't want to see again its the midget blue armor brigade, they just suck.

If there was one element, I would like to see more in Doctor Who its U.N.I.T. They need to be able to handle themselves or at least back up the Doctor like in the past. When we do see them, they are glorified bullet sponages and bark orders that the Doctor just ignores. I understand Torchwood is supposed to take their place, but after Children of Earth, I can't see that happening. Also, Jack is unredemable after that mini-series, so unless he does something epic during Miracle Day, I think they need a U.N.I.T. show.

Comment

Okay, once again I am fully aware that they're really trying to get up the show's profile in US. And that's cool, there's a dedicated fanbase over there that have stuck with the show even though its been hard to find. They deserve to see it at the same time the UK does.

What bothers me is that it seems like all of the promotion for Series 6 is happening in America. Put it this way, this time last year there wouldn't have been a single person in the UK who didn't know what day The Eleventh Hour was on and at what time, even if you weren't a fan. This year, I don't know.

I'm just wondering why Matt, Karen or Arthur haven't been on BBC Breakfast, or Daybreak, or The One Show. I haven't heard of any scheduled appearances this week, either. I'm just wonder if the casual viewer knows when the show is back.

Comment

As American, its about time. I am so sick and tired of seeing spoilers for Who all over the place when an episode ends. BBC America is a fairly new network and Who is their big show, so they need to do more promotion over here. You guys have had it almost all to yourselves for almost 50 years, time to give the rest of the planet a turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ReevesSuperman
                        I am so sick and tired of seeing spoilers for Who all over the place when an episode ends.
                        Swap "Who" for every US show, and now you know exactly how we feel all the time. I remember everybody complaining last year when BBC America showed Who 2 weeks after it was shown in the UK. We would kill to get shows 2 weeks after the US. Smallville's last season is approaching its end in the US. It hasn't even started showing in the UK yet.

Call it selfish or whatever, but when basically every other of my favourite things comes out in the USA months before the UK, I kind of liked us having Who all to ourselves.

But I just want to say, my point wasn't that I disliked all the US promotion, I was just worried the UK wasn't getting enough as a result.
                        Last edited by quinny06; 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Swap "Who" for every US show, and now you know exactly how we feel all the time. I remember everybody complaining last year when BBC America showed Who 2 weeks after it was shown in the UK. We would kill to get shows 2 weeks after the US. Smallville's last season is approaching its end in the US. It hasn't even started showing in the UK yet.

Call it selfish or whatever, but when basically every other of my favourite things comes out in the USA months before the UK, I kind of liked us having Who all to ourselves.

But I just want to say, my point wasn't that I disliked all the US promotion, I was just worried the UK wasn't getting enough as a result.
                          I share your frustration over Smallville, but the problem there is that E4 and its parent Channel 4 have financial problems, so a combination of budget pruning (and the need to have "new" imported shows to transmit in the second half of each year) have meant that they have had to go for the cheapest acquisition option - the "post end-of US transmission" rights. They might fork-out a lot more money to be able to show Glee from January each year, but Glee is a hit show that gets about four times the audience that Smallville does in the UK. Anyway, most US shows that get UK transmission dates close to their Stateside airings are on pay-TV channels (mostly part of the Sky empire) able to afford their expense.

We might have had very heavy promotion for Series 5 of Doctor Who, but that was partly because arguably the most popular Doctor ever (David Tennant) was being replaced by not only the youngest actor to play the role, but arguably the least well-known. Series 6 starts from a position of strength: Matt Smith and Karen Gillan have been very well received, Steven Moffat has settled into the role of showrunner alongside two new executive producers, and the audience figures (both viewing numbers and Appreciation Index) have not declined. So, just as the new series has been written on the basis that we don't have to assume that the audience may know nothing about Doctor Who, the UK publicity doesn't have to take quite the same "carpet bombing" approach as in the past. Having said that, the BBC One trailers have been pretty unavoidable (although there may have been some money-saving by simply cutting footage from episodes together, rather than using especially shot scenes - IMO, better to make cheaper trailers than cut the budget from the episodes), Karen Gillen was interviewed for one of the Sunday Telegraph colour supplements (they also had a DW preview piece the week before), Steven Moffat is on Graham Norton's radio show this Saturday, the current Radio Times has a DW cover photo and Steven Moffat-penned episode guide, whilst next weeks RT (out today) follows up with four pages dedicated to "Matt Smith's American diary" and a brief Karen Gillan interview (in which she lets slip that would she thought were a couple of jokes in the opening two-parter turn out to be the most important things that Amy has ever said). The UK publicity might seem to be less than last year (although I always thought the promo - designed to be shown in cinemas in 3D - was an expensive waste of time), but I don't think the publicity machine is slacking.

Besides, it might be annoying that Americans can see Doctor Who mere hours after us Brits, but it is an example of the BBC being smart. They know that delaying the US, Canadian and Australian broadcasts (and, indeed, the DVD/Blu-Ray releases) merely increases the risk of piracy, with corresponding loss of revenue (Warner Brothers/Apple, how much money could you get if Smallville Season 10 was on iTunes UK now, instead of waiting for E4?). This revenue is important - it might be fashionable for the likes of Trevor Eve and Jimmy McGovern to accuse Doctor Who of "stealing all the budget", but Russell T. Davies and Steven Moffatt have both pointed out that the series has only maintained its budget because the production team have been allowed a cut of profits from overseas sales, DVD sales, the live shows and exhibitions, etc. Unlike the bad old days of the classic series, where the budget was continually cut through the 1980s, despite being one of the BBC's most exported shows and a strong seller in the home video market.

Upping the marketing in the US has particular value because of the size of the market, and the revenue it can provide In particular, the opening two-parter is a co-production with BBC America - if the price of that Utah footage is that we only have a couple of hours to say "we've seen it, you haven't" (and the americans get Karen Gillan on Craig Ferguson's chat show), I can live with it. Besides, I just love the way that Doctor Who is slowly infecting mainstream American television. A reference to Sheldon watching the "classic series" on The Big Bang Theory might fit with the extreme geekiness of the character, but I recently saw an NCIS episode where some of the regulars broke into a container that had been converted into a secret agent's hideout: part armoury, part computer centre. The reaction of one of the NCIS team: "It's like a TARDIS...the machine Doctor Who uses to travel through time and space." Twenty...thirty years ago, could such a line have appeared in a primetime show on US network television? That there was an assumption by the producers that enough of the audience would have heard of Doctor Who to justify the line shows that the series is starting to make some impact in the US - and that can only be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by newbaggy
                            Karen Gillen was interviewed for one of the Sunday Telegraph colour supplements (they also had a DW preview piece the week before), Steven Moffat is on Graham Norton's radio show this Saturday, the current Radio Times has a DW cover photo and Steven Moffat-penned episode guide, whilst next weeks RT (out today) follows up with four pages dedicated to "Matt Smith's American diary" and a brief Karen Gillan interview (in which she lets slip that would she thought were a couple of jokes in the opening two-parter turn out to be the most important things that Amy has ever said).
                            Actually, I've just been into WH Smiths now, and Doctor Who was either the cover photo or mentioned on the cover of at least 6 or 7 different magazines. I suppose that, along with all of the above, and the constant trailers, is more than enough promotion.

So I guess in truth I'm just a bit protective of my show. Again, it goes back to what I said before, when it seems like everything comes out in the US first, it was nice to have Doctor Who all to ourselves. Ah, well.

Comment

Actually, I've just been into WH Smiths now, and Doctor Who was either the cover photo or mentioned on the cover of at least 6 or 7 different magazines. I suppose that, along with all of the above, and the constant trailers, is more than enough promotion.
                              If you ever doubt that Doctor Who is being properly promoted, talk to a US Smallville fan about how much promotion the CW gave to their favourite show.

Comment

Originally posted by newbaggy
                                If you ever doubt that Doctor Who is being properly promoted, talk to a US Smallville fan about how much promotion the CW gave to their favourite show.
                                Fair point.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎