Grade Season 8 of Smallville

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Supsfan
    Problem is I think you can make that arguement for most seasons. lol

Over the coarse of the 9 Seasons I learned to watch each episode as individual episodes because I find in general season long storyarcs drag the show down.

While S8 has 6 episodes in my bottom 25 episodes, it also has 4-5 epsiodes in my top 25, which to me is a pretty good trade off compared to S9 which has 0 in the worst 25 but will be lucky to squeak 1-2 epsiodes in the top 25(and that would be in the 20-25 range)
    In the season nine essay I didn't feel insulted at the end. In fact with a few fumbles I think the end actual made something close to a point. There were some fumble episodes, some wastes of time/money but over all I think Clark's story arc actually succeeded which would be the main theme of the essay I suppose so It would at lest get a B, sloppy grammar at times but it got to it's point. Also there are episodes in season Nine that would easily make my top ten of the show. So... Guess we like different things. I like not being insulted with a .2 minute Doomsday fight that had so much build up for this is going to be epic and being told suddenly a characters name is different than they said the whole flippin show and gave no indications it was otherwise including in Engagement announcements and vows... and having to watch the most boring Serial killer in the history of television whine about his horrible fate...

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
      In the season nine essay I didn't feel insulted at the end. In fact with a few fumbles I think the end actual made something close to a point. There were some fumble episodes, some wastes of time/money but over all I think Clark's story arc actually succeeded which would be the main theme of the essay I suppose so It would at lest get a B, sloppy grammar at times but it got to it's point.
      My main point is if I judged the season on season long storyarcs/final epsiodes my opinions at times would be different then the season overall.

I personally thought Exodus was terrible, but in general I liked S2 overall.

On the flipside I thought the S3 storyarc might be one of the better written storyarcs, and I also liked Covenant but in general though I felt S3 was one of the weaker seasons due to Clark being miserable to often

S4's stones storyarc wasn't a selling point at all for me for S4(besides the Lana witch plot, the stones would be one of the bigger negatives for that season), yet it is my favorite season. I really didn't care for the payoff as well(more so I had my issues with Arrival then Commencement) since I felt the FOS scenes were rushed and I hated all the stories Arrival setup for S5(so Commencement gets knocked down a notch due to that)

S5's Vessel/Zod combo to me was much better then the season itself. I feel S5 might be the weakest season along with S7, but the payoff was alright(but far from good) by comparison.

In S7 I didn't care for the Veritas storyline but Artic was ok in comparison as well

Comment

I gave it “C”

I was so proud of the path Smallville was making toward the beginning of the season during S8.

I wasn’t too crazy about the return of Lana, but we need to end her pedestal & her character to see a very different mature CK who appears to have a crush on someone else who not her. This isn't beeing mean, it's life. I just wanted an appropriate adult decision on closure to the horrors of Clana.

I couldn’t even get this, instead we got “Power” & “Requiem” & the whole season went to the toilet from there. I wanted to flush the poop I was fed in relation to CK’s character regression, Lana’s “powergirl” glorification, and Lois’s heartache b/c she let her walls down in the wrong time only to be placed on the side for who… Lana…. NO…the writers were crazy to allow this to happen. I didn't like how they allowed Lois to seem 2nd best or choice. I wanted Lois to run far an away from Clark & I wanted her to date another guy who would be a serious honest competition for Clark to open his eyes on what he denied himself for Lana....

I’m one fan who really dislikes the character development of Lana Lang on Smallville. She in comics has never had this affect on Clark,,, ever,,,,never…. I have been over Clana since S4 to be honest.

I don’t care about Lana anymore expect for her to be human & get over herself. 8 yrs of Clana was just torture….

Clark’s soulmate & love of his life in every life he’s ever lived & will be reincarnated b/c they are reincarnated together always to marry & love life together is only with Lois Lane.

S9 was a good start on Clois but I have to see more effort on CK side in regards to his feelings for Lois.
        Last edited by Tinyeppy; 07-22-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Season 8 was one of my favorite seasons, although it had some flaws.

Budget Cuts, even though they were a challenge the show could have done some better ways to work around them.

And i actually Liked Power and Requiem, Not perfect episodes. But very enjoyable. Although if you don't like the character of Lana I could see how you would be bored by Power. But this season was pretty good

SuperB Episodes-
          Bloodline, Identity, Abyss,
          Great Episodes-
          Plastique, Legion, Bride, Requiem, Turbulence, Eternal,
          Good Episodes-
          Odyssey, Prey, Hex
          Fair Episodes-
          Bulletproof, Instinct, Committed, Power, Infamous, Beast, Injustice
          Weakest-
          Doomsday, Stiletto

Comment

Average to me it did start out strong until, the AoS happened it was all Clexana again it felt like S5,6, & 7 all over again it's like the Doomsday arc didn't exist.

Comment

Average.

The first 10 episodes are a real triumph and handled the loss of key characters brilliantly, as well as making light of the lower budget by having the existing characters really step up and new characters make a mark. Of course the absence of Michael Rosenbaum in particular was always going to be noticeable but that was more than offset by pairing up Clark and Lois at the Daily Planet. It's a dynamic that has endured for so long now and Smallville's take still made it fresh and interesting by using the fact that the two of them knew each other long before they started working together.

Having Lana back for a few episodes should not have resulted in the poor plotlines and character regression we subsequently witnessed, and the season finale ended with a real damp squib of a showdown between Clark and Doomsday.

It's a real shame because if the entire season had maintained the level of the first 10 episodes, there's a fair chance that it would be rated the strongest season in the show's history.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎