No announcement yet.

Unscheduled PTO: The Buy More Way

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unscheduled PTO: The Buy More Way

I've just received my season 1 and 2 Blu-Rays and I'm going thru them doing a re-watch. I wanted to start a new thread to discuss what I feel has become the biggest loophole in the show...how exactly is Chuck (and Casey) able to constantly leave the Buy More at will without getting fired?

After watching all of the episodes again (some for third/fourth times), it would seem as though Chuck owns the Buy More. Much like many of you at some point in our lives, I've worked retail during high-school and early college. While retail afforded the opportunity to majorly slack off and get paid, one thing was clear: Not being at work was the cardinal sin.

I don't care how dumb Big Mike might be, but for him to not see that he's basically paying Chuck to leave the store at will is crazy. I'm about halfway thru my re-watch of season 2 at this point, and the moment that I saw Chuck tell Emmett that he couldn't meet with him was the moment I knew that this has become a major loophole (or would it be plothole?).

Emmett started off great...interviewing all employees trying to figure out why sales were rediculoulsy low, and at one point Emmett noticed that Chuck had a STACK of off-site installs with no receipts. When Emmett asks Chuck about them, Chuck says something like "Not now Emmett" (without any kind of valid explanation). The scene concludes, the episodes ends, and this is forgotten. Really?

Apparently you can do this at the Buy More...take your PTO on-the-spot. I'm not going to knock on the show...this show is fantastic in it's story and execution. I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's probably the best show I've ever had the privlidge of watching. But this is clearly a peeve of mine. If I tried to do what Chuck can so easily do, I'd have been fired by my 2nd or 3rd try. Since the future of the Buy More is uncertain (given the explosion during season 3's end), I sincerely hope that this is somehow addressed in the show should the set be back for season 4.

This is how I assumed he was doing it:

1) Big Mike is a clueless supervisor.
    2) As head of the Nerd Heard Chuck does have a certain amount of autonomy.
    3) The CIA/NSA was covering for Chuck, paying for phony installs while Chuck is out of missions.
    4) In season 3, Morgan was the assistant manager and would therefor be supportive and cover for Chuck (even before he knew Chuck was a spy).
    5) Everyone at Buy More seems to be almost worshipful of Chuck - and would therefor not question him.

However, Chuck and Casey are absent so much in season 3, obviously as a viewer we have to suspend our belief on this one.

Comment

i would say somewhere up there in the ranks the buymore might even be owned by the Gov for NSA/CIA to have covers for there agents. The reason i would say this is because the Orange Orange i think was mentioned that its Gov owned. just a thought or an idea

lets just say this that the CIA will go pretty far for an agent like Chuck and give him all the excuses that he needs. I have worked retail also and i would say this that if i was a Nerd Herd type guy and the store got paid for me to go on installs/repairs i dont see the store saying anything about where i go as long as they get paid

you have to remember they make real good money when they have to send out a nerd/geek to a repair or install. if the store charges 100 buck just to install an operating system on a computer then imagine what they charge for the nerd/geek to go to the persons house to do this.

again just a thought.
      Last edited by Kal_El=Clark; 06-23-2010, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by closetclana
        Big Mike is a clueless supervisor.
        Agreed. But isn't this why Emmett was sent in?

As head of the Nerd Heard Chuck does have a certain amount of autonomy.
        Autonomy aside...this is retail. The prime objective is customer service. You're aren't servicing anyone/anything (in terms of Buy More) by getting paid to play Secret Agent.

The CIA/NSA was covering for Chuck, paying for phony installs while Chuck is out of missions.
        I thought this at first too, as this would be the most logical reasoning, but Emmett specifically noticed that none of Chuck's install logs had receipts.

In season 3, Morgan was the assistant manager and would therefor be supportive and cover for Chuck (even before he knew Chuck was a spy).
        This would be true. I guess I can't argue this one.

Everyone at Buy More seems to be almost worshipful of Chuck - and would therefor not question him.
        Yeah I can see this. They all want his girlfriend, or his sister.

Originally posted by Kal_El=Clark
        lets just say this that the CIA will go pretty far for an agent like Chuck and give him all the excuses that he needs. I have worked retail also and i would say this that if i was a Nerd Herd type guy and the store got paid for me to go on installs/repairs i dont see the store saying anything about where i go as long as they get paid
        Providing an excuse for a questionable repair/install is one thing, but I'm more concerned with how Chuck is able to verbally say things like "Not right Now", or "Can't gotta run" right to Emmett and Mike when they approach him in the middle of the day, in the store. I suppose it's really their stupidity for not really pushing Chuck for answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Melekith
          Providing an excuse for a questionable repair/install is one thing, but I'm more concerned with how Chuck is able to verbally say things like "Not right Now", or "Can't gotta run" right to Emmett and Mike when they approach him in the middle of the day, in the store. I suppose it's really their stupidity for not really pushing Chuck for answers.
          that i can say that Mike does not care much about anyone in the store as long as stuff gets sold and the store makes money ( the part when Mike left Lester in charge and he starts slashing prices to sell would be one example)

Now Emmett that would be a little different i cant say why he wasn't questioning Chuck well the one thing that i can think of was when he tried to get answers from Morgan and well ended up getting black mailed and having to cut back on how tight he was with his store managing ideas. to me in the end he seemed a little laid back also compared to when he first got there to evaluate all the workers.

in the end its Hollywood what can we say

Comment

Now Emmett that would be a little different i cant say why he wasn't questioning Chuck
            This is my point exactly. Emmett wasn't questioning Chuck because he couldn't get Chuck to sit still for 5 minutes. He had definitely tried at least twice on-screen before resorting to Morgan/Jeff/Lester for answers.

in the end its Hollywood what can we say
            This is true. I suppose we can assume that alot of things happen "offscreenville".

Comment

Originally posted by Melekith
              This is my point exactly. Emmett wasn't questioning Chuck because he couldn't get Chuck to sit still for 5 minutes. He had definitely tried at least twice on-screen before resorting to Morgan/Jeff/Lester for answers.

This is true. I suppose we can assume that alot of things happen "offscreenville".
              thats it my friend hahaha let take it to the offscreenville like any show out there its were most things take place.

Comment

some pics i saw they might be rebuilding the BuyMore. there on twitter somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎