No announcement yet.

Why Lois calls Clark "Smallville" even when their in Smallville

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Lois calls Clark "Smallville" even when their in Smallville

Okay it makes sense when Lois calls Clark Smallville when their in Metropolis because he's the new guy who came in from Smallville but calling him Smallville when their in Smallville and everyone is from Smallville makes no sense. So why does she do it?
    Because how she viewed Clark was how she views the entire town
    56.10%
    Because it's iconic! She did it in other versions so has to do it in this
    36.59%
    Well she did see him naked
    7.32%
    How should I know?
    0%

I didn't pick any of the options.

Lois began calling Clark "Smallville" before she started living in there- it was to tease him and get under his skin. To Lois Clark was very "yes, pa, no pa" and a very "small town" type of guy. In the beginning of their relationship she views him as a goodie too shoes- a nerd- that she just has to pick on. In Lois's POV, Clark was kind of like the very personification of the town itself, which in her mind at the time was "Weird" and let's be honest she thought Clark was a little strange too-

The reason she continued to call him that? IMO, because it just stuck, even though she herself ended up living in the small town she'd once considered "strange." Also the meaning of the nickname changed to, as she grew to like Smallville more and more- both the town and the man. It went from something to irritate Clark to her own little personal endearment. Clark Kent will never be anybody else's "Smallville", but Lois's. At least, that's my opinion of why she still calls him Smallville. And I pray she never stops! I've ALWAYS loved it!
    Last edited by individuall; 05-20-2010, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Lois Lane and the "Smallville" nickname is definitely iconic, but I don't think that's why she continues calling him that in the series. I think it's just a nickname that stuck.

hahaha @"Well she did see him naked" I'm fairly certain "Smallville" isn't what came to mind when seeing his Kryptonian um, gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by individuall

Lois began calling Clark "Smallville" before she started living in there- it was to tease him and get under his skin. To Lois Clark was very "yes, pa, no pa" and a very "small town" type of guy to her in the beginning- he's a goodie too shoes- a nerd- and she just has to pick on him. To Lois, Clark was kind of like the very personification of the town itself, which in her mind at the time was "Weird" and let's be honest she thought Clark was a little strange too-

The reason she continued to call him that? IMO, because it just stuck. Even though she herself ended up living in the town. Also the meaning of the nickname changed too as she grew to like Smallville more and more- both the town and the man. It went from something to irritate Clark to her own little personal endearment. Clark Kent will never be anybody else's "Smallville", but Lois's. At least, that's my opinion of why she still calls him Smallville. And I pray she never stops! I've ALWAYS loved it!
        Agreed. Awesome post.

Comment

In Lios's POV, Clark was kind of like the very personification of the town itself, which in her mind at the time was "Weird" and let's be honest she thought Clark was a little strange too-
          Which was the first option

Comment

Originally posted by Smokethatkryptonite
            Which was the first option
            Yeah, but that's only the reason she started calling him SV, (IMO)- which is why I didn't choose that option- it began as a jibe and because she thought he was, like I stated, a personification of the town or a small town "goodie goodie/nerd" if you will- but then it grew from there into a term of endearment. So I don't think the option is wrong- I just don't think it's the SOLE reason why Lois calls him SV..which is why I didn't pick it....That's all...

I didn't mean to insult you or anything....
            Last edited by individuall; 05-17-2010, 10:22 PM.

Comment

It's kind of like A, but not really because she doesn't see Clark like she sees the entire town. It's a friendly jab at his farm boy heritage and the town for sure, but it's not really about the town itself. He seems to personify the ultimate good small town kid whether Smallville is really that kind of fairy tale small town or not. The name Smallville is just perfect for who Clark kent seems to be on the outside.

Of course, Lois can see there is more too him than that and uses it in a teasing manner as an endearing nickname. It's about Clark and who he is at his core, not Smallville the town.

I also don't think the fact that he is in Smallville or Metropolis at the time makes any difference. The name is about what Clark Kent seems to be with or without his location.

Comment

I kind of agree with the other people who have pointed out that she started off with a certain perception of this wholesome farm boy and the small town. I think her perception has evolved, and she currently just uses it as a term of endearment.

Comment

i didn't pick any of the options.

Lois began calling clark "smallville" before she started living in there- it was to tease him and get under his skin. To lois clark was very "yes, pa, no pa" and a very "small town" type of guy. In the beginning of their relationship she views him as a goodie too shoes- a nerd- that she just has to pick on. In lios's pov, clark was kind of like the very personification of the town itself, which in her mind at the time was "weird" and let's be honest she thought clark was a little strange too-

the reason she continued to call him that? Imo, because it just stuck, even though she herself ended up living in the small town she'd once considered "strange." also the meaning of the nickname changed to, as she grew to like smallville more and more- both the town and the man. It went from something to irritate clark to her own little personal endearment. Clark kent will never be anybody else's "smallville", but lois's. At least, that's my opinion of why she still calls him smallville. And i pray she never stops! I've always loved it! :d

This!!!!!

Comment

I highly doubt that its because of what she saw when he was um hm....naked. If that was the case, she wouldn't be wrestling in the sheets with him now.

But I do agree that its definitely iconic as well as ironic since he will rise to be so much more than "Smallville" not only to her but to the world as well. And I love that even after finding out his identity, she still calls him that and I hope she continues to do so because its grown to be a term of endearment towards CK.
                    Last edited by Smallvillefanatic12; 12-21-2010, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Lois began calling Clark "Smallville" before she started living in there- it was to tease him and get under his skin. To Lois Clark was very "yes, pa, no pa" and a very "small town" type of guy. In the beginning of their relationship she views him as a goodie too shoes- a nerd- that she just has to pick on. In Lois's POV, Clark was kind of like the very personification of the town itself, which in her mind at the time was "Weird" and let's be honest she thought Clark was a little strange too-

The reason she continued to call him that? IMO, because it just stuck, even though she herself ended up living in the small town she'd once considered "strange." Also the meaning of the nickname changed to, as she grew to like Smallville more and more- both the town and the man. It went from something to irritate Clark to her own little personal endearment. Clark Kent will never be anybody else's "Smallville", but Lois's. At least, that's my opinion of why she still calls him Smallville. And I pray she never stops! I've ALWAYS loved it!
                      true....

I read on the interview of Erica that Lois calling Clark "Smallville" is her own idea and also the "punching in his shoulder"..

Comment

well we're of the same mind, because that's my exact thoughts too.

Comment

I think Clark has also come to appreciate this endearment from Lois. Hasn't he even given other people a cold look when they have used Lois' "Smallville" to address him. It seems to me sometime ago some female character tried to call him this and he just kind of looked at her with a "don't call me that look" with the underlying message being that only Lois is allowed to call him that. He is "her Smallville".

Loved in Metallo, "I know Shelbs, Smallville just isn't Smallville without Smallville is it?"

Or earlier this season in Homecoming when trying to convince Clark to attend the reunion, "You put the Smallville in Smallville, Smallville."

Comment

Short answer: In the beginning she thought *annoyed voice* Clark represented everything about this town. Later she though *loving voice* Clark represented everything about this town.

Just remember how Lois met Clark. Naked dude, struck by lightning, no memory. That's about as weird as it gets when you come from a non-weird place like Metropolis. And Chloe always told her stories about the weirdness of Smallville. And after he got his memory back he was this good little momma's boy "Yes, Ma! Yes, Pa!". Just what a urban gal like Lois would expect from a rural guy.

So right from the get-go Clark represented both sides of Smallville that Lois had witnessed within days of her arrival.

Comment

I'll blow my own horn here and post the bit I wrote explaining this very question in "It Happened One Night". I story I wrote a while back. I'll put in a link for anyone who's interested.

He started the car and drove her around his hometown pointing out the schools he went to and the stores his family shopped in.

“Growing up here it had about fifteen thousand people; now it’s closer to thirty thousand. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like home anymore.”

“You’re lucky to have a home town. I grew up on military bases all over the world. I went to school in four different countries, in three languages. It’s a history, but I don’t have anything like this, an anchor, a spot to come to, to refresh my soul.”

“I’ll be that for you if you want, Lois; if you’ll let me.”

“I’d like that, Clark; you can be my Smallville.” Lois said laying her head on his shoulder.

http://www.ksitetv.com/forums/showth...ened-One-Night

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎