Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lois' need to have a 'purpose' and bit more Lang than Lane?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmboy09
    well it doesnt take a genius to figure out that clark has had a lot on his plate right now...even though she may not know that clark is the blur or whatever....she shouldnt just expect that she is his whole world, he has dreams and aspiration as much as she does, she is looking for a purpose so is he....a relationship may not be top of his priorities...
    How in the blue hell is Lois supposed to figure out Clark has a lot on his plate right now? Does she know Clark's a Kryptonian, the Blur and trying to deal with Kandor and Zod right now while looking for a way to stop Checkmate, find the Book of Rao, etc? No. All she sees is Clark idling while she's trying to get her job and career back on track.

Originally posted by farmboy09
    she is being lana 2.0 putting her selfish needs b4 her man's ....while i understand that both deserve clark's own truth.....and cant wait for him forever...clark is a complex guy, not yr average jo next door...and they need to accept that....which is why them having a break for a while, until they both start acting mature...is a good idea...
    So she's supposed to give up her career and desires for someone she sees not doing anything or caring? Yeah you have no idea what a relationship actually entails. The bolded part of your post is exactly what you need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
      When I think of Lois Lane, I certainly don't think of someone who needs more from their life. I don't think of someone who is complaining that their life doesn't have enough purpose.

I think of someone who doesn't even think about what her purpose is. Because being a reporter is such a natural second skin that there is no doubt about what she was meant to do. And she gets every bit of purpose from that.

Lana Lang on the other hand. Now there is a character who so badly needed a purpose on Smallville, that she tortured herself in order to withstand the pain of fusing with a super suit, so that she could save the world...

Now I'm not suggesting that Lois is going to do that. I think even in Smallville she's not that nuts.

But I wish she'd get to a place where serious journalism was her passion. Catching drug lords and corrupt governments. Not chasing aliens and propping up fantasy heroes.
      Lois knows the Blur is real. He has given her things by super speed, so she trusted the voice on the phone. Now he's told her if anyone else contacts her saying they're the Blur, they're lying. It will be interesting to see if Lois heeds his warning. Clark should tell Lois his secret, since she's in more danger not knowing.

It's understandable that Lois is in love with the Blur and doesn't need to see him to feel that way. She loves how he helps the world, and she liked helping him. We know Clark is the Blur, but Lois has no idea.

Comment

I swear. I am reading this topic and thinking, "Are people reading others posts before they reply?" The facts are there.

Lois is not another Lana Lang, she's not even close. For those who said that Lois broke up with Clark because he was unsupportive. THANK YOU!

If Clark wouldn't have said the word "overreacting" or "Give me a break" they'd still be in a relationship. She is one confused girl. Can't believe this is be discussed right now. =(

Comment

Originally posted by batfinx
          If you don't understand her adoration of the Blur (Superman) then no, you don't understand Lois Lane at all. .
          I understand a Lois Lane that looks up to the man of steel in awe. Completely besotted. Would do anything he asked her to do because she trusts him.

But that's Superman.

She's met him, face to face. No one is impersonating him. For her, there isn't any suspicion because he's created this alter ego that most people don't even think 'does her have another life?'. It's just assumed that Superman is Superman all the time.

The whole world knows and trusts him, not just her. She's not blindly following a man she 'thinks' is good, and 'thinks' she can trust. She knows she can trust Superman more than anyone can ever trust anyone else. Because he is the pillar of truth and justice.

Here on Smallville, our Lois, no nonsense, straight to the point, feisty, doesn't take no for an answer, needs to uncover the truth Lois, is blindly obeying the orders of Zod because she thinks he's the Blur.

He has done nothing to prove to her who he is. He uses a computerized voice, he is getting her to put herself in danger, and he's always being incredibly vague.

I've never met a Lois, so desperately unsatisfied with her life as a Daily Planet reporter, that she will ignore all her natural suspicion instincts in order to get a bite of 'save the world'.

Lois: "It's as if you're expecting me to single-handedly save our unemployed derrieres, which lucky for you I have. I have found a story that will get us corner offices at the Planet with parking on P-1. We just have to start now.".
          I personally think it's ridiculous that Lois very cockily, and IMO illogically thinks a story about aliens is going to get her an even better seat and the Daily Planet.

She worked for the Inquisitor doing those sorts of stories. And that made sense. But the DP isn't going to want to print this?

She'd have to find so much evidence that there was no doubt. And that would be an impossible task. It could take months. And what is she going to do for money until then?

And even if she did get enough proof, do you think the government would allow that story to go public? There would be so many legal reasons why it couldn't be printed, i'm sure. Lots of barriers they would put up.

She said "I need to find a way to make a difference with my life and I realize now I can't look to you or even the Blur to make that happen for me. I need to do it on my own."

At the close of the episode, unlike Lana, Lois had a Dorothy-esque epiphany that she didn't need to go to Oz or outside her own backyard to find her higher calling. She just needed to find the hero inside herself and she did, and that hero is a reporter.
          Yes, Lois does help people as a reporter. But she is also ruthless. I think suggesting that the hero inside her is a reporter is a bit weird.

Being a reporter is not pretty, and certainly not the kind of heroics you can shout about. But it's her passion. Her passion for uncovering the truth. Sticking her nose in where it's not wanted. She LOVES it.

It doesn't have to be about the 'hero in your heart' blah blah over the top soppy nonsense. I just want Lois love of Journalism to be real.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca <3
            I swear. I am reading this topic and thinking, "Are people reading others posts before they reply?" The facts are there.

Lois is not another Lana Lang, she's not even close. For those who said that Lois broke up with Clark because he was unsupportive. THANK YOU!

If Clark wouldn't have said the word "overreacting" or "Give me a break" they'd still be in a relationship. She is one confused girl. Can't believe this is be discussed right now. =(
            I agree. I think it was his "overreacting" comment that got her. It came off pretty patronizing to me and I know Clark didn't mean it that way because he really does have a lot on his mind, but if I was Lois I know I'd be pretty upset too. The "break" thing I think originally was just to slap some sense into him. The way his head snaps back around when she says that says it all. And I think him trying to force her to go along with his lies when she obviously didn't want to and pretend that everything was perfect and normal was a bit much. He needed to remember that Lois doesn't have a clue what he's up to and unless he gives her an excuse she just thinks he's moping around the house doing nothing like she's seen him do in the past. She knows Clark has the fallback of the farm to keep him busy but she doesn't and that probably irks her as well, that she has no fallback.

Comment

Originally posted by Alicia Chipy
              What I don't understand is the writers of this show.The actions of the characters are in their hands.
              I agree. Overall, I think Lois is nothing like Lana (thankfully), but occasionally they do things with her that make them seem similar. I remember in Ageless Lana was talking about not having a purpose & how Evan gave her one. Lois on the other hand has had a huge purpose & it's insulting to a fan of the character like me that they can't have her realize that without some forced plot or forced lines. I had a similar reaction to Clark not wanting to stop Brainiac from retroactively killing him in Apocalypse. Lois is a very confident character. There's no way a confident character like hers would not think they wouldn't have a purpose. She has dealt with so much more and gotten out resolved & with her confidence intact. There's no way losing her job even comes close to some of the stuff she previously had to deal with. And it's not even based on the fact that the Blur cut her out of his life because she told Clark in Hostage that it has nothing to do with the Blur. I could maybe understand her feeling purposeless in Charade when she lost her job & the Blur, but since then she's had time to think about things, and by now should be on the rebound.

Originally posted by uncaged
              I agree. I think it was his "overreacting" comment that got her. It came off pretty patronizing to me and I know Clark didn't mean it that way because he really does have a lot on his mind, but if I was Lois I know I'd be pretty upset too. The "break" thing I think originally was just to slap some sense into him. The way his head snaps back around when she says that says it all. And I think him trying to force her to go along with his lies when she obviously didn't want to and pretend that everything was perfect and normal was a bit much. He needed to remember that Lois doesn't have a clue what he's up to and unless he gives her an excuse she just thinks he's moping around the house doing nothing like she's seen him do in the past. She knows Clark has the fallback of the farm to keep him busy but she doesn't and that probably irks her as well, that she has no fallback.
              I didn't like that Lois brought up that purpose thing again. It felt too forced for me because I don't know anyone who goes around saying "I need a purpose in life" repeatedly. I get that she said it back in Charade and that was fine & enough. We didn't need to hear it again. Instead, they could have made her actions this episode speak for her words, which would have made it more subtle (something that this show seriously lacks). They could have put Lois through some sort of identity crisis or something where she tries to get into various niches that don't work out so Clark could have at least given her advice & info on what she was doing wrong. Perhaps even point out all the good things she was doing as a reporter & convince her that she can get another job. Instead, they had Lois act uncharacteristic of how a normal person would act and Clark didn't have the patience for it & now he's getting blamed for being patronizing. I don't understand why Lois bothered coming to the farm if she was going to act like that & want to break up with him. You would think the discussion would have been settled on the roof of the Daily Planet in Charade. Instead, they left it unresolved & had it spill into another episode, which made things lack credibility.

I also don't like how they give Lois selective memory. One thing that kept Lois around Clark way before he was a reporter at the Daily Planet was his track record of helping and saving people, including Lois herself several times. It was very insulting to me when she told Clark "You may have no purpose, but..." because she was saved by Clark in Recruit & knows how Clark got involved so many times in helping others (in Exposed, in Combat, in Blank, in Facade, in Krypto, in Pariah, in Fade, and various other episodes).

Comment

I personally think it's ridiculous that Lois very cockily, and IMO illogically thinks a story about aliens is going to get her an even better seat and the Daily Planet.

She worked for the Inquisitor doing those sorts of stories. And that made sense. But the DP isn't going to want to print this?
                I've seen this attitude before, and it's ridiculous. Of course the DP could and would print a story like that if there was sufficient evidence, and given that in this fictional reality they have a superpowered hero running around, I'm guessing that wouldn't be quite the leap it would be for us. However, the difference between the NY times and the National Enquirer isn't the subject, but the treatment of it. And you do realise that Lois will one day publish a story with the DP about another alien; Clark.

Comment

I mean c'mon, so I guess anyone out there in the world who needs and wants to have a purpose in life is Lana then?? really?? I guess then I'm Lana...

I don't get the big deal. If anything Hostage showed us that Lois doesn't need the Blur or Clark to give her purpose, she worked through her issues on her own from Charade. Is it so wrong that she wants her own identity? I mean so what if Lois wants to find a purpose, what should Lois stay home and bake pies for Clark, she's 22 right now and when people say Lois should act like this or like that they seem to forget that she's still the younger version. I mean Lois Lane's aren't born a reporter, in the modern age comic lore for Lois reporting just happens by chance, she uses her reporting as a tool to do good in the world and that's what she realized in Hostage. Its human, its all a part of growing up into the person you will become. So just because Lois is in search of a purpose does not make her Lana. I'm glad that she found her purpose on her own and looked deep within herself for what makes her happy, she doesn't need her boyfriend or the superhero to help define her. She's her own person.

I'm also glad that Clark let Lois go and let her work out things on her own instead of giving her a speech or a pep talk about how she does have purpose, or how great she is etc etc... ALSO, Lois isn't Lana, she didnt lose her sense of self, she didnt want to have the same powers as the Blur so she could be his equal, yes Lois wanted to help the Blur, support him, do good for the world but it was never about her wanting to be the Blur's equal. I'm glad she realized that she on her own can do good for the world, real maturity and character growth for her in Hostage. Now that she's found her inner peace she can give her whole self in her relationship with Clark and enjoy what she does as a reporter. I personally think its very important to be your own person, you should not be defined by someone else, so I'm happy for Lois in Hostage. Lets hope Clark finds his inner peace as well!
                  Last edited by PrincessKent; 05-09-2010, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I mean c'mon, so I guess anyone out there in the world who needs and wants to have a purpose in life is Lana then?? really?? I guess then I'm Lana...
                    THANK YOU! I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering why something like this would automatically make her Lana. Wanting a higher purpose and to do something important is HUMAN

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessKent

I don't get the big deal. If anything Hostage showed us that Lois doesn't need the Blur or Clark to give her purpose, she worked through her issues on her own from Charade. Is it so wrong that she wants her own identity? I mean so what if Lois wants to find a purpose, what should Lois stay home and bake pies for Clark, she's 22 right now and when people say Lois should act like this or like that they seem to forget that she's still the younger version. I mean Lois Lane's aren't born a reporter, in the modern age comic lore for Lois reporting just happens by chance, she uses her reporting as a tool to do good in the world and that's what she realized in Hostage. Its human, its all a part of growing up into the person you will become. So just because Lois is in search of a purpose does not make her Lana. I'm glad that she found her purpose on her own and looked deep within herself for what makes her happy, she doesn't need her boyfriend or the superhero to help define her. She's her own person.

I'm also glad that Clark let Lois go and let her work out things on her own instead of giving her a speech or a pep talk about how she does have purpose, or how great she is etc etc... ALSO, Lois isn't Lana, she didnt lose her sense of self, she didnt want to have the same powers as the Blur so she could be his equal, yes Lois wanted to help the Blur, support him, do good for the world but it was never about her wanting to be the Blur's equal. I'm glad she realized that she on her own can do good for the world, real maturity and character growth for her in Hostage. Now that she's found her inner peace she can give her whole self in her relationship with Clark and enjoy what she does as a reporter. I personally think its very important to be your own person, you should not be defined by someone else, so I'm happy for Lois in Hostage. Lets hope Clark finds his inner peace as well!
                      QFT!!!!

Comment

Clark is more like Lana than Lois, abusing people to get information, lying, stealing, ect. lol Not to mention his "whatever" attitude to Lois and her career, kinda reminds me of Lana's "whatever" attitude to clark and his joke of a "destiny". LOL Those two were made for each other, equally pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Slight Return
                          I've seen this attitude before, and it's ridiculous. Of course the DP could and would print a story like that if there was sufficient evidence, and given that in this fictional reality they have a superpowered hero running around, I'm guessing that wouldn't be quite the leap it would be for us. However, the difference between the NY times and the National Enquirer isn't the subject, but the treatment of it. And you do realise that Lois will one day publish a story with the DP about another alien; Clark.
                          As I said underneath the bit you chose to quote, another reason it would never succesfully a) get printed and b) result in her getting a corner office, is that the governments pull could hold it.

I remember, in an episode of Lois and Clark, perry having to wait on approval for a story until the government cooberated it (Honeymoon in metropolis).

I understand that it's a fictional world. Heck, that's how Clark got the job in the first place... complete fantasy. He didn't earn it.

But Lois is the one thing that has always represented a realistic world. She doesn't know the secret, she doesn't run around saving the world from aliens. She does hard hitting journalism and wins a lot of awards for it.

So it bugs me.

And as I also said, how is she going to easily get this evidence? Solid evidence. That is fool proof. When there are numerous people trying to stop her, and when she has little money and little resources to hand?

She needs a job. Instead of trying to kick start her career by risking her life on a story that is most probably going to get either squashed from on high or laughed at, she should be focusing on finding a substantial story that she would actually be RESPECTED for in all circles of journalism.

Comment

As I said underneath the bit you chose to quote, another reason it would never succesfully a) get printed and b) result in her getting a corner office, is that the governments pull could hold it.

I remember, in an episode of Lois and Clark, perry having to wait on approval for a story until the government cooberated it (Honeymoon in metropolis).
                            That could depend on the political leanings of the current government, and the media outlet with the story.

For example, were that story to be done today, outlets like the New York Times, CNN, NBC, or CBS might be persuaded to kill the story; while the Drudge Report or Fox News would likely jump on it. Two years ago, the opposite would likely have been the case.

I understand that it's a fictional world. Heck, that's how Clark got the job in the first place... complete fantasy. He didn't earn it.
                            I don't mean to dissolution you, but the way Clark got his job (connections with the owner/publisher, Tess) is all too realistic. What was unrealistic is the way they were fired. An interim editor (who presumably hopes to get the job full time) is not going to fire two people with connections at such high levels (Tess and Oliver), unless those connections first approved the firing.

But Lois is the one thing that has always represented a realistic world. She doesn't know the secret, she doesn't run around saving the world from aliens. She does hard hitting journalism and wins a lot of awards for it.

So it bugs me.

And as I also said, how is she going to easily get this evidence? Solid evidence. That is fool proof. When there are numerous people trying to stop her, and when she has little money and little resources to hand?

She needs a job. Instead of trying to kick start her career by risking her life on a story that is most probably going to get either squashed from on high or laughed at, she should be focusing on finding a substantial story that she would actually be RESPECTED for in all circles of journalism.
                            I wish it were that way, but all too often it isn't.

That aside, were this reality, Lois (and Clark) could get there jobs back with one phone call (from Oliver). Look how easily Lionel got Chloe a column, and imagine how much easier it would be for the head of the company that owns the Planet to get Lois and Clark rehired.

Comment

Originally posted by cma_454
                              That could depend on the political leanings of the current government, and the media outlet with the story.

For example, were that story to be done today, outlets like the New York Times, CNN, NBC, or CBS might be persuaded to kill the story; while the Drudge Report or Fox News would likely jump on it. Two years ago, the opposite would likely have been the case.

And what camp would you put the Daily Planet in?

I don't mean to dissolution you, but the way Clark got his job (connections with the owner/publisher, Tess) is all too realistic. What was unrealistic is the way they were fired. An interim editor (who presumably hopes to get the job full time) is not going to fire two people with connections at such high levels (Tess and Oliver), unless those connections first approved the firing. .
                              Your opinion could never dissolution me.

If Clark had walked in and said 'Tess, I want a job' and she'd said 'okay' then I might agree with you that it was realistic. But the idea that Tess had a hand in it, is something we have only assumed in offscreenville. The way it was portrayed in the actually dialogue of the show is that he took his own initiative and ended up sitting next to Lois.

To say that the editor could not fire the two of them, because of their connections, is again assuming that he even 'knows' (if it is in fact true) that Tess/Oliver had a hand in it. He may not even be aware they know each other.

I wish it were that way, but all too often it isn't.

That aside, were this reality, Lois (and Clark) could get there jobs back with one phone call (from Oliver). Look how easily Lionel got Chloe a column, and imagine how much easier it would be for the head of the company that owns the Planet to get Lois and Clark rehired.
                              Yeah, they probably could be re hired by pulling their connection strings.

But i'd like to think that Lois Lane would object to a career based soley on who she'd been sleeping with, and nothing to do with her journalistic prowess.

Comment

And what camp would you put the Daily Planet in?
                                I have no idea. Then again, I have no idea what camp the administration is in (in the fictional Smallville universe). But you'd think, if they were going for realism, they'd be either in the same camp as the Smallville administration, or the opposite.

Then again, maybe they've gone the fantasy route, and are portraying the Daily Planet as the mythical unbiased newspaper.

If Clark had walked in and said 'Tess, I want a job' and she'd said 'okay' then I might agree with you that it was realistic. But the idea that Tess had a hand in it, is something we have only assumed in offscreenville. The way it was portrayed in the actually dialogue of the show is that he took his own initiative and ended up sitting next to Lois.
                                You may be correct. My impression was that the way Clark was hired was (like so much on Smallville) kind of vague and open to interpretation (but I could be mistaken).

I do know Tess seemed to take an immediate interest in him working there, to the point of summoning him to her office. I don't think many starting copy boys are called to meet the owner/publisher of a major metropolitan newspaper. So, I could see her having had a hand in his hiring (or not).

To say that the editor could not fire the two of them, because of their connections, is again assuming that he even 'knows' (if it is in fact true) that Tess/Oliver had a hand in it. He may not even be aware they know each other.
                                Not so much he could not, as would not. One usually does not rise to upper management without learning to be cautious about personnel moves.

As to how much he knew about Lois and Clark's connections, if you've spent any time in the corporate world, you know such things are usually well known. In any event, since Oliver's love life had been pretty well publicized, it should at least be well known that he once dated Lois. Even if Stern himself didn't know it, someone on the editorial board was certain to.

Yeah, they probably could be re hired by pulling their connection strings.

But i'd like to think that Lois Lane would object to a career based soley on who she'd been sleeping with, and nothing to do with her journalistic prowess.
                                I'd like to think that too. Still, if she felt her firing was unjust, she might not care how the 'injustice' was made right.

The sad fact is, all too many people gain their positions in life in ways other than by merit. Still, I do agree with you that I'd want Lois (and Clark) to be above that sort of thing. I just wish more people were.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎