Television Ratings for "Hostage"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish people would stop saying how other season did better than this one. The show is on its 9th season ON A FRIDAY NIGHT. No one I know even stays in on fridays - they usually go to parties or movies or dinners than catch up with the show later on especially moving into the summer.
    Judging the season on quality - it is far by the strongest, best produced and acted in a long long time.

Look at VD - the current CW darling. It's on its first season yet I read that SV did better last year in its slot.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenYarn
      The last few seasons have all lost a portion of their viewership. This season is no different. Also, in comparing S8 to S9 you cannot overlook the fact that the show was moved to the worst night of the week for this network.

Those two things everyone knew would cause the ratings to go down. So, IMO, looking at the ratings alone doesn't "prove" that the show is horrible or that the writing isn't good.

Because the second half did in fact go down, but there were also factors to explain that, however, in that case, IMO, a loss in quality of storytelling was also to blame. Here, as far as episodes like Escape go, I also see a loss of quality in storytelling but from episodes Charade to Sacrifice, and now Hostage, I feel the quality of storytelling has been superb!
      I am not overlooking the fact that it moved to Friday - however, if the fans wanted to watch the show, it would be watched whatever evening it is on. The decrease in numbers is due to quality as well.

I found the second half last year extremely better then the first - and same goes for this year. The last half of this year has surpassed the quality of the first half. JMO!

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by PrincessKent
      Last year Smallville was on Thursday nights...

If Smallville were on Thursday nights it'd probably be getting Supernatural type numbers... Supernatural is getting about 2.5 mill, and their milestone 100th episode got 2.78 mill...

Shows on Friday nights are an absolute death scare; I mean I didn't get watch Smallville live last night because I was out watching the Chicago Blackhawks playoff game plus the weather in Vancouver is great so I was out and about downtown yesterday. If Smallville were on a Thursday night I'd be home watching it live because I don't go anywhere on Thursday nights.
      I am sorry but that is an assumption - we do not know how the ratings would be if Smallville was still on Thursday. Going by that, Supernatural was barely making it last Thursday - maybe Smallville was holding Supernatural back!?

And I cannot compare Smallville to Supernatural. Supernatural ROCKS!! The writing is incredible! The storyline as of late surpasses Smallville!

As I have said, fans should follow - I think the quality of the show should be added into the reason why the numbers are down. JMO
      Last edited by SVrnFAN; 05-08-2010, 10:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by SVrnFAN
        I am not overlooking the fact that it moved to Friday - however, if the fans wanted to watch the show, it would be watched whatever evening it is on.
        Sadly if that were truth, most shows wouldn't think of Friday nights as the kiss of death. The truth is that in ALL networks, the majority of Friday shows have a lot less viewers than they do in other nights. You can check the ratings yourselves. Friday night is notoriously a bad night of television because most people go out, including to the theater, but also just go out and have fun right before the weekend.

The decrease in numbers is due to quality as well.
        Perhaps, although this is more subjective and not something that can really be proven.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by SVrnFAN
        I found the second half last year extremely better then the first - and same goes for this year. The last half of this year has surpassed the quality of the first half. JMO!
        And I'm the completely opposite! I feel that the first half of season 8 and the first half of season 9 could do circles around the second half of both (storywise, although the ratings were also better). But, yeah, as far as this quality goes, JMO too.
        Last edited by GreenYarn; 05-08-2010, 10:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

yea hopefully finals go up and not down. But 1.92mill isnt that bad, if the tx preempt factored in and all that. It does suck that we didnt have higher, but crossing fingers that finale will at least get near 2.4mill.

As for the ratings now compared to the past. we got to remember in the past the show was on tues, wensday, thursday nights and had alot of different type of competition compared to where it is now. So its not right to judge the show now to its old ratings when at times they were anywhere between 4-8mill.

Comment

Ouch.

Though, it was a good episode, so who cares if it only had 1.9 million viewers?

Comment

Originally posted by redkryptoniteisthebest
              Ouch.

Advertisers!

May sweeps!

Comment

yea as long as the show is around 2mill the network is happy, and we all know it does a killing on amazon/itunes, and always goes up with dvr/tivo figures once those are added in a couple of weeks. sure it sucks when we dont a bit higher but overall we did good for most of the season from episodes 4-15 we were between 2.4-2.9million, and episodes 2,3, and 16-20 were in preempts which does affect the ratings too. So on a hole i think the season has been pretty well on fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by redkryptoniteisthebest
                  Ouch.

I actually think its a good thing ratings went down, maybe WB/CW wont think twice about not renewing Smallville beyond s10 and they finally can finish it up instead of yet another year of guessing which character is gonna take over second half of the season to stall Clark

Comment

Originally posted by suzieQ
                    Advertisers!

May sweeps!
                    Advertisers were happy with Smallville this season, turning in some of the best ratings for a Friday night. Go Smallville!

And the CW and WB need Smallville. That's why they gave us a season 10!

Comment

Originally posted by suzieQ
                      Advertisers!

May sweeps!
                      Iron Man 2 opening!!!!!! Friday night!!!!

Yeah who cares!!
                      Last edited by LorelaiG; 05-08-2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarevokcz
                        I actually think its a good thing ratings went down, maybe WB/CW wont think twice about not renewing Smallville beyond s10 and they finally can finish it up instead of yet another year of guessing which character is gonna take over second half of the season to stall Clark
                        Yeah, I don't want a season 11 but who knows now!

Comment

Originally posted by torwolf
                          From Matt Mitovich :-

#Smallville 'Hostage' delivers 1.92 million viewers/0.8 rating.

Under 2.0 million, I guess Iron Man 2 did affect the ratings.
                          No surprise there as this episodes was one of the biggest disappointment of the season for me. It was so bad and boring. Felt like things were rushed and forced.

Comment

Originally posted by LorelaiG
                            Iron Man 2 opening!!!!!! Friday night!!!!

Yeah who cares!!
                            Lana fans care! So many showed up today!

Comment

And quality? then why over seas Smallville actually DOUBLED its ratings from 8 million for Savior to 16.600 (last known rating was Conspiracy)

Maybe on verseas we have less taste than Americans amd accept less quality shows

Comment

Yea comparing what cw was getting before moving smallville to fridays they have been scoring good numbers for a friday. Sure its lower then the past seasons of the show were on tuesday/wens(wb days), and thursdays(wb/cw days). But like i pointed out above we have overall season wise been well. With episodes 4-15 scoring between 2.4-2.9mill and then i believe episode 1 was around 2.3mill, and episode 2, 3 were a little lower due to preempts those nights, and as we know from 16-20 were preempts factoring in too.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎