• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart's Blood (1/1, Gen, AU)

Title: Heart's Blood 1/1

Characters: Nana Dawson, Noah Bennet, Others Mentioned
    Rating: PG-13 for themes

Type: Gen, AU

Disclaimer: Copyright of Heroes is held by the respective owners. No infringement is intended.

Spoiler alert: Through S4
    Summary: Bob Bishop wasn't the Company's only source of funding.
    Notes: This story is set in the same AU as “Perchance To Dream” and was suggested by the graphic novels, “The Ten Brides of Takezo Kensei” and "Blindsided." Diamant is french for diamond or ice. Red diamonds are extremely rare, but they're real.

Trina Dawson handed Noah Bennet a mug of coffee. “How’s Claire,” she asked.

“She’s wonderful,” answered her father. “She’s dividing her time between the new Company daycare center and the hospice unit. They love to hear her tell stories and to pet Gremlin.”

“Gremlin?,” asked Trina.

“Her new puppy,” answered Bennet. “Miss Lovegood had an unplanned encounter with a black toy poodle. Sandra was unhappy at first, but Gremlin overpowered her with his adorableness.”

Trina smiled. "You should classify stunning with adorableness as an ability. How's Sandra doing these days?," she inquired.

"Fine," answered Bennet. "She and Doug Kenton are e-mail pals, now."

"Doug's good people," she assured Sandra's former husband. Trina was pleased she had introduced her to Doug -- the man running the Baton Rouge no-kill shelter through which Sandra adopted Miss Lovegood. "You're not here to talk about your family, though," she continued.

"No," confirmed Bennet. "I'm here to talk about Company financing. With Bob dead, we need another long-term revenue source."

"And you think I can help?," asked Trina. "Adam kept me out of that; he didn't want to talk shop when he came home."

"You may not have known the Company," pressed Bennet, "but you knew Adam, as well as anyone could've known him." Bennet passed Trina a ledger labeled “Heart's Blood.” "Peter found this when he went back to the Montreal warehouse. Do you know what it means?"

Trina looked at the names, dates, and dollar amounts in the hundreds of millions, pensively remembering...

Trina Diamant first saw Heart’s Blood before her wedding. She was celebrating life in the wake of Dr. King’s death – dressed for her nuptials in champagne-colored silk and lace softness that cradled her new pregnancy. Adam surprised her, kissing her on the neck, as he fastened a gold necklace. A large red heart-shaped stone sparkled in the light. “Something borrowed,” he said. “A rare colored diamond for my rare colored diamond.” He discreetly removed the necklace during the reception, handing it to Maury Parkman.

Trina Monroe saw Heart’s Blood every year on their anniversary – firelight dancing in its facets – until Adam handed it back to Maury Parkman. He always handed the diamond back to Maury Parkman. Embers of suspicion flared on their ninth anniversary as Trina watched their luminescent daughter, Maeve. Gentle light emanated from her – gentle light she directed through prisms of various shapes and colors. “Maevie,” tested her mother, “send your light through the jewel in my necklace. You haven’t got any red prisms.”

Maeve looked genuinely confused. “You’re not wearing a necklace, Mama…”

Trina Dawson continued, “Parkman put the idea of Heart’s Blood in my mind.”

“Not just your mind,” realized Bennet. “The ledger predates your marriage. That, combined with the money entries, suggests that Bob Bishop wasn’t the Company’s only hidden asset.”

“When King Midas needed a vacation,” said Trina, “they sold the Emperor’s New Diamond. Damn.”

“Matt Parkman won’t be willing to recreate any scheme his father was part of,” said Bennet, resignedly. “We’ll have to explore other avenues.”

Panicked, Trina was only half listening. “I still have Heart’s Blood in my head, Noah. I still see it every year on our anniversary. It broke my heart after Katrina, knowing that our daughter was dead and that Adam had wanted her in the Deathscape all along, saddling me with an illusion I couldn’t sell to pay for her funeral.”

“You channeled that anger by loving your grandchildren and by freezing Monroe in place for beheading; the pain served a purpose,” reassured Bennet. “Matt will remove the thought.”

“Thank you, Noah,” she said, “but what about the others who bought that diamond – the others who might not have channeled their anger. The Company has to track them down and face any damage.”

That night, Trina Diamant Monroe Dawson dreamed; Heart’s Blood was yet in her mind. When the Deathscape intersected the living Dreamscape, Adam stood before her. She shifted the scene into their last anniversary, together, basking in Maeve’s light. With great will, Trina tore the diamond from her neck, dropping it on the floor beside her former husband’s severed head.
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎