Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Heretic's Fork?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not completely bad, but it was so far the worst of the season.

I like the fact that Lisa is finally turning good and I’m willing to bet Joshua is going to ask her to sabotage the soldier eggs, since only she and Anna seem to have access to that room.

The soldier’s eyes were interesting and he seems to be able to sense body heat, like a snake. I he survived gunshots and being hit with an axe, I wonder what can kill them…

Val’s reaction was perfectly natural, she probably still loves Ryan, but after finding out that he lied to her, drugged her and that she doesn’t really know anything about him, she probably needs some space.

Hobbes has a hidden agenda… First he tries to manipulate them to get on the ship, then he checks their backgrounds, and tells his contact that they won’t have anything on him for long, and now he interrogates the prisoner in private. I wonder if he’ll try to double-cross the resistance.

I miss the Erica from the first 6 episodes, the independent, strong, intelligent, active, confident one. Lately she’s been a little depressed and passive. Plus she’s great fighter. I want to see more karate moves and less gun waving and camera shaking.

Not happy about the fact that the last 4 episodes have all been centered around Ryan, while the other characters slipped in the background.

Comment

Show just keeps getting worse IMO The hyped us soldier was pathetic And as for Hobbes this guy is suposed to be a hotshot paramilitary guy how about putting a couple of rounds in the guys head after you axe him in the chest.

Comment

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Better than "We can't win" which in my opinion was a bit of a mixed bag of an episode.

I honestly didn't think the soldier was poorly done at all. Remember how the visitors are trying to be subtle in their agenda? You can't suddenly put a 6'10 green lizard in battle armor with lasers into the show.

Critics each week seem to follow more or less the same line of wanting more lasers, explosions, sfx, etc. General audiences are a bit more developed than that these days. You have to factor in that sci-fi shows usually do poorly on major networks in prime-time slots because like it or not, there is a stigma attached to the genre. You start adding more lasers and sfx and I can almost guarantee that you'll lose a lot of general viewers. Back in the 70's and more-so 80's, sci-fi shows were often just that and are/were seen as the realm of young boys and teenagers. I'm afraid that if a lot of the calls suggested by users on this forum were added to the new version of V, the show would definitely tank with the general audience and therefore tank completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeroy

I honestly didn't think the soldier was poorly done at all. Remember how the visitors are trying to be subtle in their agenda? You can't suddenly put a 6'10 green lizard in battle armor with lasers into the show.

Critics each week seem to follow more or less the same line of wanting more lasers, explosions, sfx, etc. General audiences are a bit more developed than that these days. You have to factor in that sci-fi shows usually do poorly on major networks in prime-time slots because like it or not, there is a stigma attached to the genre. You start adding more lasers and sfx and I can almost guarantee that you'll lose a lot of general viewers. Back in the 70's and more-so 80's, sci-fi shows were often just that and are/were seen as the realm of young boys and teenagers. I'm afraid that if a lot of the calls suggested by users on this forum were added to the new version of V, the show would definitely tank with the general audience and therefore tank completely.
          Alright, Leeroy.

The reason the Preview of the one V-Soldier should have been awesome
          with all the trimmings is so that the audience is thrilled and terrified of a
          Legion of V-Soldiers on the way. After what I saw in this episode...I
          could care less whether I see another V-Soldier or not. I'd bet that I
          don't stand alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeroy
            I thought it was a pretty good episode. Better than "We can't win" which in my opinion was a bit of a mixed bag of an episode.

I disagree I think the reason Sci Fi shows fail on networks because they try too hard to make them for general audiences. 14 million people tuned in to see the first episode of new V. I would bet my right arm that a good portion of the people that tuned in did so because of fond memories of the original and wanted the lasers, skyfighter dogfights, ECT ECT. Not getting that they moved on. The show now gets only about 6 million and is on the bubble for cancelation.

Comment

Originally posted by jsith99
              I disagree I think the reason Sci Fi shows fail on networks because they try too hard to make them for general audiences. 14 million people tuned in to see the first episode of new V. I would bet my right arm that a good portion of the people that tuned in did so because of fond memories of the original and wanted the lasers, skyfighter dogfights, ECT ECT. Not getting that they moved on. The show now gets only about 6 million and is on the bubble for cancelation.
              I think you're right about this. Networks like ABC pick up sci-fi pilots like V or Flash Forward but instead of embracing the sci-fi nature of those shows they demand for the sci-fi to be kept to a minimum and instead for there to be lots of character and relationship drama. The end result is a hybrid that nobody wants to watch. Sci-fi fans tune out because there's not enough sci-fi to keep them watching and general viewers are turned off by the sci-fi elements of the show. Terminator on Fox was a very similar case. The show premiered with 18 million viewers but dropped to 3 million in the end because viewers wanted to see the Terminators they were used to seeing in the movies but instead they got lots of character and relationship drama and not enough action and Terminators.
              Last edited by shadow08; 04-29-2010, 03:57 PM.

Comment

That is all very true and I definitely agree.

However, when it all boils down to it, what most people (or at least boys/men) really remember from the old V is how cool it was to see a hot girl eat a gerbil or the girl next door give birth to a lizard baby. It was creepy and weird, but very cool. The writers have just been too subtle with the development of the big questions in this series. Why the Visitors are here should have been made pretty clear in like episode 2 or 3. But we are like 8 episodes into it now and all that is really still happening is that the resistance is trying to get organized. So what? But we still don't know what the big evil plan actually is that they are trying so hard to organize to fight. All we know is Visitors = Bad and Humans = Good -- and that is no longer interesting enough. They need to pick something and just go with it. whatever it is -- they're here to eat us/annhilate us/ colonize us/breed with us. It does not really matter. Let's just get it out there and move on.

That said, however, I do think the writing has improved. The whole way that Lisa seemed to masterfully manipulate Tyler in front of Erika was great. But then finding out that she did it sort of by accident was also great. Then the whole thing with Chad and Father Jack was great, where you end up not knowing which side Chad is on. Very ambiguous and well done.

The soldier was incredibly stupid. Are we really to believe that 1,000 of these or whatever are going to destroy us all? I'm not convinced.

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

Oh yeah -- one other thing. This whole thing about the Visitors trying to fight against and being threatened by the human capacity to "Love" is just plain lame. These people came to earth from millions of light years away and THAT'S their big worry about us? Boring.

God -- I want to love this show SO MUCH, but the frustration is killing me slowly each week.
                Last edited by Beastmaster; 04-30-2010, 09:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

To me this show is more like true sci-fi than the original V. Shooting laser guns is fine and good but I enjoy the subtlety in this show. I'm glad that they aren't telling us everything. It's the reason I like watching sci-fi. I don't just want "cool" stuff in it. I want to be intruigued and baffled and I want to think things through.

I don't agree that they should have told us why the Visitor's are here right away. I don't just want to have a shoot-em up scenario all the time. There are weaknesse to the show but to me the weakness is not in the subtlety and the mystery. To me those are strenghths.

I also love that the aliens in this version are truly alien. Their society, their ways just aren't human. They aren't humans who look like lizards, like in the original. Anna is trying to not only keep her people alive as a species but also keep who they are as a species intact as well. This loss of who they are as a people is part of what Anna is trying to prevent losing and that's why she sees love and other human style emotions (I say human style because I think the V's have emotions but not in the same way as humans) as a corruption.
                  Last edited by colibri; 05-02-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by colibri
                    To me this show is more like true sci-fi than the original V. Shooting laser guns is fine and good but I enjoy the subtlety in this show. I'm glad that they aren't telling us everything. It's the reason I like watching sci-fi. I don't just want "cool" stuff in it. I want to be intruigued and baffled and I want to think things through.

I don't agree that they should have told us why the Visitor's are here right away. I don't just want to have a shoot-em up scenario all the time. There are weaknesse to the show but to me the weakness is not in the subtlety and the mystery. To me those are strenghths.

I also love that the aliens in this version are truly alien. Their society, their ways just aren't human. They aren't humans who look like lizards, like in the original. Anna is trying to not only keep her people alive as a species but also keep who they are as a species intact as well. This loss of who they are as a people is part of what Anna is trying to prevent losing and that's why she sees love and other human style emotions (I say human style because I think the V's have emotions but not in the same way as humans) as a corruption.
                    I totally agree.

Lazers, explosions, giant lizard soldiers aren't a reality (at least at this stage) for V. I'm not sure what people are expecting from a major network show. I think subtlety is far more intriguing than in your face typical sci-fi. It's great when stuff is left to the viewer's imagination.

Comment

Part of what I really like about this show is the ambiguity of the characters and their motives, and this episode definitely left some mystery in place. Was Lisa's manipulation of Tyler an accidental consequence of her emerging guilt, or a calculated attempt to get past her emotion? Is Chad just playing both sides off one another to see which is right, or is he really working for Anna? Great stuff, I really enjoy being forced to guess.

I'd give this episode a solid eight out of ten, with the two points being deducted because:
                      • The V Soldier was disappointing. Like many others, I liked the eyes and the enhanced hearing but got very little sense of menace. Also, it kind of annoyed me that when Hobbes took him out with the axe, they all ran away instead of pumping a few bullets into his head.
                      • I'm already tired of the Tyler/father subplot. I'm sure it's building up to an interesting payoff - there's got to be a reason that test was wrong - but until then his annoying whiny attitude is just bugging me.

Comment

I gave this a 7.

Pretty good episode. Lisa seems to be turning. Chad is being tricked.

Though why hasn't Joshua been tested for emotion? And the whole alien baby thing was rushed. The acting or "exchanges" between Erica and Tyler are painful to watch!

Zod.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎