Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree. If i remember correctly, there were plans to have Glory and some of the other Big Bads terrorize Buffy and her friends but it fell through. It was either just not enough time or the budget i think.

Comment

• A Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot is in the works with a black lead from Joss Whedon & Monica Owusu-Breen

https://deadline.com/2018/07/buffy-t...on-1202430592/

Comment

• Ill give it a chance but im going in with low expectations.

Comment

• The reboot that was announced a few days ago may turn out to be a revival of the series instead...which means it would be set in the same Sarah Michelle Geller (Buffy) universe with the possibility of having cameos from our favorite Scooby-gang characters.

I’m curious if this does see the light of day, would they still call it Buffy the Vampire Slayer even though it would focus on a new slayer (they can’t just have another slayer with the same exact name)?

https://tvline.com/2018/07/26/buffy-...-continuation/
          Last edited by darkphoenix21; 07-30-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Sarah Michelle Gellar posted a statement on Instagram:

While I am proud to have my name associated with Buffy Summers, I don’t want to be forever associated with the name Joss Whedon,” she wrote on Instagram. “I am more focused on raising my family and surviving a pandemic currently, so I will not be making any further statements at this time. But I stand with all survivors of abuse and am proud of them for speaking out
                Than Michelle Trachtenberg reposted the statement alongside this caption:

Thank you @sarahmgellar for saying this. I am brave enough now as a 35 year old woman…. To repost this. Because. This must. Be known. As a teenager. With his not appropriate behavior.
                https://tvline.com/2021/02/10/sarah-...sma-carpenter/

Comment

• It's so sad to see your heroes fall. Buffy, Angel and Firefly were such great shows, especially for female characters and then the façade falls and nothing of this keeps up behind the scenes.

Of course these are only allegations, but by now almost all the main women of this show have spoken up, lets see if Allyson also chimes in.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ Doena
                    It's so sad to see your heroes fall. Buffy, Angel and Firefly were such great shows, especially for female characters and then the façade falls and nothing of this keeps up behind the scenes.
                    Can't speak for Firefly, but Buffy has long had its critics, when it comes to its depiction of women. And I'm talking specifically mainly about criticism made by women. Seen it be described as an example of 90s pseudo-girl power (though, as I recall it, the book that I read it in, didn't give any specific examples). Seen criticism (on Anya's Wikipedia article) over the fact that all female characters, who engages in sex, are somehow punished. In the case of Tara and Willow, Tara is killed off (resulting in an example of burying your gays) and Willow turns evil (another common, negative, trope with LGBTQ characters). Cordelia is not mentioned in that section, on Anya's Wikipedia article, but looking at Angel. In season 1, Cordelia has sex, wakes up pregnant with a demon baby (with it being made clear that the delivery will either kill her... or make her wish that she hadn't survived). In season 4, she has sex with Connor, gets pregnant, ends up in a coma and then dies. In both seasons, Cordelia has sex and is punished for it.

Comment

• Okay... this is getting more and more disturbing.

Comment

• WandaVision's Emma Caulfield Latest Buffy Alum to Distance Herself From Joss Whedon

‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Showrunner Marti Noxon Stands By Stars’ Accounts Of Abuse By Joss Whedon

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                          over the fact that all female characters, who engages in sex, are somehow punished.
                          This I don't see that way, because on that show, everyone gets their fair share of punishment. Angel loses his soul again when becoming intimate. When Spike was still William, the woman he adored had nothing but scorn for him. Xander is the butt of the joke many times over ("his penis got diseases from a Chumash tribe").

It's also noticable how the show deals with actual sexual assault. Faith basically forced Xander into sex because she wanted it and it was played for laughs. When Buffy and Spike had sex in season 6, Spike also said no multiple times which Buffy didn't care about. But then in "Seeing Red" when he ignored her refusal, it was (rightfully) framed as the most horrible thing he could have done.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ Doena
                            Angel loses his soul again when becoming intimate.
                            After which, he harms and kills people around Buffy. In the season finale, Buffy is forced to send him to hell. After which, she is forced away from her home. He may become evil, but it's Buffy who has to pay a price for having had sex.

When Spike was still William, the woman he adored had nothing but scorn for him.
                            Did he have sex with her? Otherwise, he isn't punished for having sex.

Xander is the butt of the joke many times over ("his penis got diseases from a Chumash tribe").
                            Haven't seen the show in ages, but wasn't that from a curse or something? Not acquired through a sexual act, but because he fell into an old structure, while on a construction job. Looking at the Wikipedia article for "Pangs", that episode was criticised for its stereotypical and cliché depiction of Native Americans.

It's also noticable how the show deals with actual sexual assault. Faith basically forced Xander into sex because she wanted it and it was played for laughs. When Buffy and Spike had sex in season 6, Spike also said no multiple times which Buffy didn't care about.
                            So the show trivialized sexual assault against men? That actually puts the show in a very negative light.

Comment

• 'Buffy' Alum Eliza Dushku Lends Support to Charisma Carpenter After Joss Whedon Allegations

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                                That actually puts the show in a very negative light.
                                No it doesn't because no one actually cares when it happens to men, it's usually played for laughs. To this day, soap bar jokes are common on TV.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎