Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• More cast members come to the support of Charisma Carpenter:

”I am here for you to listen and support you,” Boreanaz said on Twitter. “Proud of your strength.”
      Soon after, Carpenter responded:
      “I know you’re there for me, David. I appreciate all you’ve done to demonstrate that support privately as well. Especially since Wednesday,” she wrote. “Thank you so much.”
      Fellow Angel vet Amy Acker also released a statement on Twitter, which read:

I will always be proud of the work we all did on Angel. While I personally had a good and professional experience, it is heartbreaking to hear that not everyone did. I do not condone any actions that made anyone feel hurt or uncomfortable, and I offer love and support to everyone who is speaking out to tell their truths.

Comment

• David Boreanaz Breaks Silence, Offers Charisma Carpenter His 'Support' in Wake of Joss Whedon Allegations

Comment

• Buffy's Nicholas Brendan Discusses Joss Whedon's On-Set 'Transgressions'

Comment

• Here's an interview Michael Rosenbaum did with James Marsters a few months back and Marsters goes into his Buffy days 1t 37:15. And at 44:45 he recalls how he, too, experienced the anger of Whedon when things didn't go his way.

Comment

• Originally posted by President_Luthor
              Even more news just came out re: Buffy set.

Stunt coordinator Jeff Pruitt and stunt double Sophia Crawford (who were dating at the time, now married) alleged that they had a falling out with Whedon during their time on Buffy and Whedon's loyalists on set began to plot against them. As some sort of payback, Whedon gave Crawford an ultimatum: break-up with Pruitt or you're gone. She told him to F off and left. He gave a veiled threat that they'd never work in the business again and even tried to get them blacklisted within the industry after.

They endured in the business, but they also had stories about how they had job offers that would just vanish with no explanation. They called him "a real egomaniac who believed his own hype". Among the creepier allegations are that he had Pruitt's computers keylogged so that they had every email Pruitt had sent. I'm expecting more of these allegations to pop up from others.
              So, Whedon (who've spent a good portion of his career talking about being a feminist) tried to dictate who a grown woman could and could not date...

Comment

• All these stories about Joss Whedon and his abusive behavior. He created some great shows but it seems he is quite the POS.

Part of me always thought he was punishing Charisma Carpenter for getting pregnant with how he handled the character in Season 4 of Angel and I guess I was right. I guess because I remember reading about Alfred Hitchcock being pissed at Vera Miles getting pregnant and basically thought she ruined his plans to use her as the lead actress in Vertigo. Hitchcock also locked Tippi Hedren in a room with a bunch of birds to scare her.

I’m not saying Whedon is on the same level as Hitchcock, but they both produced great works, while being horrible human beings.

Comment

• Hey Buffyverse fans, I need your help! WHERE is the "Angel" alley located? You know, the alleyway that Angel walks away from us in, during the intro credits.

Comment

• Decided to check out the 1992 Buffy movie. Didn't think that it was very good. I know that a whole thing have been made about changes during production, and Whedon supposedly walking off the set. However, this is the same man, who after the failiure of Alien Resurrection (1997) put the blame on the actors, for "saying the lines wrong". If something fails, it's not his fault. With the Buffy TV series, it should be noted that he was outspoken about having an issue with the network having pushed to get Willow out of her outfit seen in the pilot. Apparently, Whedon would've liked to have had Willow dress like that, throughout the series. In his mind, they were in the wrong. Despite the fact, that people's style (and interests) do change as they're growing up (people, especially teenagers, dress similar to others in their social circile). Her outfit was something that 16-year-old Willow's mom picked out for her. Should the same go for 20-year-old Willow? She is still the girl, whose mom picks out her clothes for her (despite being a grown up). By changing style, you suggest character growth and change. Like being around Buffy draws Willow out of her shell. Like Willow starts taking after her.

While a lot of the performances are weak, the dialogue in the film is terrible. They don't talk like actual people. Buffy and her friends talk like archetypes of high school girls in films, not real 17/18-year-old girls.

Buffy's got her own version of a spider sense, for when a vampire is near: PMS (I'm not kidding). That's just terrible. They dropped it for the show. However, it feels like it might've been done, because if she had it there... she would've instantly been able to tell that Angel's a vampire. Spider-Man has a thing in his head, alerting him of danger. The immortals in Highlander have a thing in their head, alerting them of other immortals nearby. Movie Buffy get menstral cramps, whenever a vampire is near. Merrick identifies it as: "natural reaction to their unnatural presence". Made me cringe a little.

Merrick should've been a woman (as should've Giles, for that matter). Give your female hero a female mentor to guide her.

But, instead of trashing it anymore, I thought that I'd talk about some positive aspects. Stuff in the film, that I actually liked.

I like Luke Perry's Pike (too bad Pike was never on the show and met Spike, even if the joke would get stale after about three minutes) as a love interest. Especially when compared to what came later with the television series. It should be noted that movie Buffy is a high school senior, while the television version was only 16 in season 1. Both versions get romantically linked with an older guy. However, movie Buffy is a probably 18-year-old, getting involved with a 20-something (I'm guessing early 20s) dude. TV Buffy is a 16-year-old, who gets involved with Angel (a man centuries her senior). The former Buffy is a young adult, who gets involved with a guy who is maybe a few years older than her. The latter Buffy is a 16-year-old high school girl, who gets preyed upon by a much older man. Seriously, what could a man, who has lived for over 200 years have in common with a 16-year-old girl? What is the thing about her, that makes him say: "she gets me"? Yeah, we know what she "gets" you, creep. Excuse me, while I'm calling the cops on you... and Edward Cullen, while I'm at it.

I like that the movie Buffy goes from having a shallow life, to realizing that there are things more important in the world, than school events. In fact, a thing that I think that movie Buffy has over TV Buffy is strangely enough, the fact that it was a one-off. Movie Buffy went on a character journey, defeated evil and changed as a person. We don't know what happens to movie Buffy, after she graduates (she could very well end up going to college, and get a good job, that pays well. Thus giving her financial empowerment). TV Buffy we do, and looking back (not having seen the show in ages), it wasn't good. She goes to college for five minutes, but never finishes. She has to get a job at a fastfood joint (having no higher education, required for a better/higher paying job. Believe it or not, but if you put TV Buffy Summers and Ally McBeal in the real world... Ally is the stronger one. Because Ally is the one with a law degree, she's passed the bar exam, she's a lawyer... didn't she become a partner in the firm? (Regardless, she earns more money than Buffy would. Granting Ally financial empowerment.) Haven't seen it in almost 20 years. Buffy is the one with a high school diploma). Then there's the episode, that leaves the strong possibility that the entire series is just in Buffy's head (she's actually just a patient in a mental hospital).

Honestly, if I had to pick betwen the life of TV Buffy... and riding off on a motorcycle, with my arms around a young Luke Perry (may he rest in peace). I'd go with the latter. Movie Buffy is young and has a world of possibilities before her (for all we knows, she goes to college soon (empowerment through education), and ends up with a good job (financial empowerment)). She gets Luke Perry. TV Buffy is either a patient in a mental hospital, or goes through life with messed up relationships, death of loved ones. Expelled from school, for arson. Having to go on the run, after she's wrongfully suspected of murdering Kendra. Goes to, but is unable to finish college.
                    Last edited by jon-el87; 08-21-2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Season 1, episodes 1 & 2: "Welcome to the Hellmouth"/"The Harvest".

Checking out the pilot, for the first time in ages. Upon watching it, I stand by my previous statement: If I had to pick between the life of TV Buffy and movie Buffy, I'd go with the latter. She gets to be the hero. Saves the day, and gets the guy. She gets to have a happy ending. TV Buffy burns down the gym, gets expelled for arson (probably getting a criminal record). Her life falls apart, she looses all of her friends and is forced to move to a new place. (Why would anyone want to be her, over the film version? Let me rephrase that... why would anyone want, considering her life on the show, to be the TV character at all? I mean, when you look at the show, with a critical eye, Buffy's life... well, sucks. And only gets worse, as the show progresses.) Where the only school that would take her is. Though, this school is not what I envision, when I picture a school willing to accept such a troublesome student.

Think the dialogue problem is still there. People don't talk like people. More like the writer is attempting to make them quirky. The dialogue slows down the plot. Take the crypt scene. A fight is about to break out, and Buffy goes all "there'll be bad language, violence, adult content" (or something). Darla and the other vampire sure are letting her stand around talking a lot. Speaking of Darla. When she meets Jesse, they should've just had her turn out and say her name, then cut. Instead, they have a long, drawn out conversation between her and Jesse. Really impacting the pace.

A lot of inconsistences in the pilot. Giles identifies the slayer as always being a female (as does the opening narration), but Luke mentions encountering a male slayer in the 19th century. Giles frames it like all demons left this dimension, and there are only vampires. Yet, the next few episodes will have witches and demons. Guess that they didn't think well-enough ahead on that one.

A body is discovered, stuffed in a locker at school. Yet, there are no sign of police presence. The body is just left there in the locker room, after it's discovered. No police guarding the scene. No police tape. You would expect some police presence. Maybe something done by the staff, to deal with the situation (ex. cancel classes for the rest of the day, announce that they're offering students counceling). Compare it to the 1992 movie, where they showed news reports about mysterious murders and bodies disappearing from the morgue. And that was Los Angeles. According to a quick Google search, about 1,077 homicides were committed there in 1993. According to Wikipedia, there were 3,485 million people living there in 1990. But, in the much, much smaller Sunnydale, so little attention is given to an apparent murder, that the police doesn't even come to the school to check it out. The body is just left there. Nor does Buffy's mom try and talk to her about it, after she comes home from school (apparently, parents have not been notified of the incident). At the end, vampires attack the Bronze and kills people. Again, no police interest (and everyone act like barely anything happened, the next day). The closing credits of the film has a news report of the incident at the dance showing. During which, we see flashing lights from police cars (establishing a police presence, even if we don't see them). Let's put this in the pile of things that I think that the movie has over the TV show. Along with future two-time Academy Award winner Hilary Swank in her big screen debut... Oh, and better music.

Buffy, Xander, Willow and Cordelia are all 16, but hang out at a club (the Bronze). Very questionable. When the vampires show up for the harvest, a bouncer is outside and requires I.D.s. Indicating that this club serves alcohol (otherwise why check I.D.?)... while allowing minors on the premises. Seems like the owners would just be asking for an awful lot of legal trouble (along with the hazzle of the staff needing to keep track of who is under and who is over 21).

Rather than having clean slate (i.e. a proper reboot, where Buffy learns that she's the slayer in the 90-minute pilot), or following up on the 1992 movie (like Stargate SG-1 did), this two-parter attempts to follow up Whedon's original script (and be a sequel to that). Must've been confusing for anyone who bought the film on VHS, and sought out the TV show because of it.
                      Last edited by jon-el87; 09-04-2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎