No announcement yet.

Why Can't Clark Tell Lois His Secret?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Can't Clark Tell Lois His Secret?

Clark's reasoning that he won't share his secret to the ones closest to him, especially Lois, because he fears that their lives will be in danger is complete nonsense, in my opinion. If Clark's enemies ever found out that he was the Blur, they would automatically go to his loved ones anyway and put them in danger to force Clark's hand. His enemies would go after them even if someone like Lois didn't even know Clark was the Blur. If Clark really wanted to protect the people closest to him, he would completely isolate himself and not keep any friends or girlfriends. There is no difference in danger between Clark having people close to him know his secret and them not knowing. Just by virtue of the fact that Clark keeps friends and girlfriends, he is putting them in danger.

Yup. Additionally, Clark has shown again and again that he has no qualms about showing his face to strangers, potential proteges and actual enemies. The "protection" excuse has been a shield for Clark's fear of emotional commitment, which is probably also keeping him earthbound. The irony is that he was about to man up and tell her everything when the Stallville writers decided it was time for Lois to give her "I don't want to know" speech.

Now the only way out is for her to find out on her own. And we're obviously not going to get that any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Son of Vern
      Yup. Additionally, Clark has shown again and again that he has no qualms about showing his face to strangers, potential proteges and actual enemies. The "protection" excuse has been a shield for Clark's fear of emotional commitment, which is probably also keeping him earthbound. The irony is that he was about to man up and tell her everything when the Stallville writers decided it was time for Lois to give her "I don't want to know" speech.

Now the only way out is for her to find out on her own. And we're obviously not going to get that any time soon.
      I can understand him not wanting to tell the whole world about who he is, like in the alternate reality episode where Clark has Lois write his true story and the world finds out and initially praises him but then turns on him. But there's no reason why he can't tell Lois. She's in danger by just having a relationship with him, even if they were just friends.

Comment

What I find to be truly plot-hole-ish about this episode is that Lois was the only person being subjected to Maxwell's brain-probe who hadn't gotten even a glimpse of The Blur's face. So, why was she even there in the first place? Because Sacks told Lord about her? Because Sacks assumed that since Lois had seen into The Blur's heart (as she told the world in "Idol"), that she must have seen his face at some point? Yeah, I just don't get that.

And the other plot-hole-ish thing is that, apparently, there are people out there who are known to have gotten a glimpse of The Blur's face. And apparently, they're all targets. Sacks and Lord grabbed that one guy with the cell phone picture pretty easily, and there was also a handful of other people being probed. So, is Clark as concerned about those people actually having seen some part of his face, as he is about Lois, who's never even gotten a glimpse?

I'm confused.

As careful as Clark's been, some people have indeed seen him. And those people are at risk. Lois is known to have had contact with The Blur, but she's not known to have ever seen his face. I guess I'm just saying that I don't see how Lois is any different than the other people in that room, as far as them being targets goes.

So, as far as Clark's reasoning for not telling Lois, ultimately, I'm just not sure that it holds much water. Any baddie -- big or small -- could nab Lois at any time and try to get information about The Blur from her, since everyone knows that she's had contact with him. So, technically, she is in danger no matter.

The only thing that really makes sense is that Clark is trying to protect himself. Because since the world does indeed know that Lois has had contact with The Blur, and since she'll always be targeted, if she actually had some information to give, then Clark's identity would indeed be compromised by her. And if Clark's enemies know his identity, then I guess all hell could break loose.

So, at the end of the day, I think that Clark not telling Lois the truth has everything to do with him protecting himself; not with him protecting Lois. That reasoning is selfish, and it does prompt Clark to continue deceiving Lois. But, until people seeing his face doesn't matter, until Clark debuts as Superman, then Lois has to stay in the dark.

Frankly, the PTB have provided the perfect excuse for Lois to not learn the truth until the end of the show. So, unless they're gonna change Clark's reasoning before then, then I can't imagine him telling her on his own until he debuts. Otherwise, Lois will just have to find out for herself.

Comment

Clark had every intention, it seemed, of letting her in. The only reason he didn't get to was because Lois didn't want him to. Even if her thought process may ultimately be illogical - just by being associated with the Blur is dangerous for her - she would rather believe that their secret contact with one another is safer. She's in denial, and I think that makes her very human. Clark had similar qualms earlier in the season and with his other relationship, I think that also makes him very human.

The fact is, we can't always use a time reversal ring, if Clark tells Lois his secret, there's no turning back... and what would the show become if she knew? The Newer Adventures of Lois and Clark? Or another freak of the week show? I think I prefer Smallville as it is. Part of the fun, for me, is watching Clark's learning process and journey to becoming Superman and someone who could one day reveal his secret to the one he loves.

Comment

The real reason Clark is not telling Lois is because it's supposed to be a secret identity - Lois is the only one in the world who doesn't know that Clark Kent is the Blur

Comment

Originally posted by Cage
              The real reason Clark is not telling Lois is because it's supposed to be a secret identity - Lois is the only one in the world who doesn't know that Clark Kent is the Blur
              ITA

The only person on SV who doesn't know Clark's secret is Lois and checkmate.
              In S8 it was Lois and Henry James Olsen.

Zod has already targeted Lois.
              The If you told me your secret and somebody found out I know the secret than I would be a target is BS.

If she knew why would anyone have to find out. She already anounced at the press conference that she knew the Blur. So that and Zod have already made her a big target.

At this point it would be safer for Lois if she knew that Clark was the Blur.

Chloe has know Clark's secret since S4 and so far only checkmate has used Chloe to get to Clark. And that was b/c Chloe is WT.

It kept Clark from telling Lois in Charade but it was bs.

Comment

Or because it's only the 19th episode and that's not important enough to warrent such a scene being in it.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎