Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major Problem with Clark Kent's Sexual Mentality

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know that we live in an age of casual sex - the third date rule.
    But Clark is an alien. I know that even though he has not said the actual words that he loves Lois. And Lois has the right to know who and what she is going to bed with.

I also know that this is a minority viewpoint.

Comment

• Another point to bring up

I actually didn't read through all 19 pages, so it's possible that this has already been brought up. I've been thinking about this episode recently, and one thing has me bothered, beyond Clark not telling Lois his secret, and that is has Clark even considered the potential consequences of having sex with a human?

What I got from Clark's conversation with Chloe is that his main concern was for Lois' physical well being - and that makes sense. Should Clark lose control of himself during the act, it's likely that he could cause serious physical harm (if not death) to Lois. This also seemed to be the concern with Lana - the only times he had been with her was when he had lost his powers, and later, when she herself became super-human.

But I don't like that Clark hasn't considered the other ramifications of sex-that is, babies. Yes, I know that birth control pills are nearly 100% effective, and in all likelihood, Lois is using them. However, they are not fully 100% effective - there is still a chance (albeit a small one), that Lois could become pregnant.

Has this occurred to Clark at all? Assuming for a moment that Kryptonians and Humans are fully compatible, and that offspring are possible-which is likely, considering that everytime that Clark's lost his powers, he's been fully human (the only time I think this has been brought up has been with Dax Ur, but I don't recall if the children in that relationship were his, or if they were his wife's from a previous marriage), it brings up a lot of potential problems:

1) Are either Lois and Clark ready to be parents? Yes, we the viewers know that the two of them are destined to be together for ever and ever, but they don't. Even if they believe they are, do they really want children right now? If not, what are their options? Regardless of your personal opinions on abortion, it's certainly something to consider, but would it even be possible? I realize that Kryptonians get their powers from the sun, but how soon does that start? I remember either reading one comic or seeing a Superman show/movie with a toddler Clark being able to lift a car almost immediately upon exiting his ship, so the implication is that it's realitively quick. Could a Kryptonian fetus be invulnerable immediately upon conception?

If abortion isn't possible, would Clark really be callous enough to put Superbaby up for adoption? I mean, this isn't a human child, but a potentially superhuman one. If Clark doesn't feel he's ready to be a father, would he really be able to force another human family to deal with it? I suppose Martha could raise the child (she does have experience), but that would mean she'd to give up her career as a Senator, but there doesn't seem to be any indication that she'd be willing to do that.

2) Assuming that Lois and Clark decide to keep the baby, what would a half Kryptonian fetus do to a human mother? Again, how soon would this baby develop it's basic abilities? Would Lois feeling the baby kick for the first time be the last time as it's tiny foot pierced her abdomen?

I realize that I'm presenting worse case scenarios here, but the point is that Clark doesn't know what could happen should he get a human female pregnant. It's irresponsible of him, IMO to take this as lightly as he seems to be doing.

This actually does tie into the original topic-should Clark be subjecting Lois to this risk without full disclosure? This is her life as well, and he is not human. Beyond lying to her about being the Blur, he's lying to her about being completely different in every respect, as well as potentially risking her life.

I liked how this was handled in the series Lois and Clark. Dean Cain explained to Teri Hatcher that he had put off having sex because he realized he was too different from humans to take the risk of pregnancy lightly. It was very Supermanly of him, and in keeping with his upbringing with the Kents. I really wish that Smallville's Clark Kent had the same level of integrity.

Marc
      Last edited by Marc L; 06-12-2010, 03:11 AM. Reason: More thoughts

Comment

• I don't read comics but I have seen posts on the matter and in the comics, Lois and Clark are married and has a healthy sex life and don't have children of their own so I'm going to presume that SV Lois and Clark can make love safely and the possibllity of Lois getting pregnant is slim.

Comment

• As far as I know in the comics Lois and Clark never concieved children themselves.But I am aware that at one point they adopted Zod's child raising it on their own.Though at some point their kid gave up it's life to help save the world. But reguardless it doesn't matter if they can or can not have children.

The comics are always being redone so naturally they can have it set.Where Lois can make a child with Clark but on this subject i'd like to know who the 30.14% was. That strongly voted against the idea of Clark, not waiting until he's told Lois his secret before sleeping with her.

If Clark were to have sex with Lois before telling her everything it's basicly saying two things. One his down stairs brain calls the shots so doing the deed with Lois is what matters. And second that he either doesn't trust Lois or doesn't have faith that she can handle being told his secret. Either way it says he lacks confidence that she would stay with him if he told her.

Of course we all know Lois stays with Clark even after he tells her but bottom line. I would have a big problem with Clark not telling Lois his secret before having sex with her. Because over all this is a family show Clark sleeping with Lana in Season 5 was the overall reason. Why to this day I still don't own that season simply for the message it sends.

This would be the same which comes down to honesty and tells kids: go ahead and have sex with the opposite sex the less honesty the better. So on the subject to me it doesn't matter that Lois is Clark's future wife the point is he should tell her. And seeing how the finale ended last month, I have a feeling Lois will be told Clark's secret before they ever do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clois4eva89
            As far as I know in the comics Lois and Clark never concieved children themselves.But I am aware that at one point they adopted Zod's child raising it on their own.Though at some point their kid gave up it's life to help save the world. But reguardless it doesn't matter if they can or can not have children.

The comics are always being redone so naturally they can have it set.Where Lois can make a child with Clark but on this subject i'd like to know who the 30.14% was. That strongly voted against the idea of Clark, not waiting until he's told Lois his secret before sleeping with her.

If Clark were to have sex with Lois before telling her everything it's basicly saying two things. One his down stairs brain calls the shots so doing the deed with Lois is what matters. And second that he either doesn't trust Lois or doesn't have faith that she can handle being told his secret. Either way it says he lacks confidence that she would stay with him if he told her.

Of course we all know Lois stays with Clark even after he tells her but bottom line. I would have a big problem with Clark not telling Lois his secret before having sex with her. Because over all this is a family show Clark sleeping with Lana in Season 5 was the overall reason. Why to this day I still don't own that season simply for the message it sends.

This would be the same which comes down to honesty and tells kids: go ahead and have sex with the opposite sex the less honesty the better. So on the subject to me it doesn't matter that Lois is Clark's future wife the point is he should tell her. And seeing how the finale ended last month, I have a feeling Lois will be told Clark's secret before they ever do it.
            I kinda agree-though I really don't see Smallville as being necessarily a family show-at least not one for small children to watch. Older teenagers are pretty much going to explore regardless of what TV "tells" them, and I think that by the time they're old enough to watch this show, they're old enough to realize that Clark keeping his secret isn't about "having sex with the opposite sex the less honesty the better," but more of a question of 1) Is it safe for her to let her in on the secret, and 2) Is it safe for Clark (emotionally) to let her in on the secret.

Marc

Comment

• my dad has the comics where lois and clark have a son their own son i think!

Comment

• Originally posted by doodie8808
                my dad has the comics where lois and clark have a son their own son i think!
                That's Chris Kent (he's their adopted son).

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                  That's Chris Kent (he's their adopted son).
                  Unless her dad has some silver/bronze age issues with the Superman 2020 backup stories where Superman has a son as well as a grandson or maybe the imaginary story about Superlass or some elseworlds stories.
                  Last edited by Exedore; 06-13-2010, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• ^^Yes, that's also one possibility (as is Superman, Jr. from the Super-Sons).

Comment

• man I love your post, that's the same I was thinking, Clark is suppoused to be pure and wait till marriage, but thank God he's been portrayed this way because that show's how clark is not a real Messiah or Savior, he's just another sinner who needs a soul salvation.

I know he's not real, but even in an inveted character you can see writers don't even get the "purity" propperly because they don't really know a thing about being really pure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Britas15
                        Author’s Note: Sadly, mine is a minority opinion.

Major Problem: CLARK KENT, A FUTURE SUPERMAN, DOES NOT BELIEVE IN FULLY DISCLOSING HIS ALIEN HERITAGE BEFORE SEX, NO MATTER HOW DEEPLY HE CARES FOR HIS PARTNER.

This show has established that Clark Kent has three basic requirements before he has sex with someone: (1) comfort with his abilities; (2) deep affection for his partner; and (3) his partner’s willingness.

In “Mortal,” Clark, at the age of 18, slept with Lana Lang. At the time, he did not have his powers. And, prior to that episode, the show established that his discomfort with his powers was what was stopping him from pursuing a physical relationship with Lana. After sleeping with Lana, Clark regained his powers, and he put an end to their physical relationship. At no point did Clark have the least bit of concern for whether his partner, who he loved in a very major way, had a right to know the truth about him before he bedded her.

In “Pandora,” future-Clark, at the age of 22 or 23, slept with Lois Lane. At the time, he did not have his powers. But, as “Escape” established, training with Jor-El has helped present-Clark to better control his abilities. So, since future-Clark stated that he trained with Jor-El in the “Pandora”-future, there’s no reason to believe that he wouldn’t have slept with Lois in the “Pandora”-future, even if he did indeed have his powers. It was just coincidence that he didn’t.

And, most recently, in “Escape,” Clark INTENDED to have sex with Lois Lane, the woman who, according to “Persuasion,” he plans on being with forever.

I could get over a youthful indiscretion; I could get past Clark failing to consider his partner when he was that young. And, though it didn’t sit right with me at the time and though it still doesn’t, I can reconcile myself to future-Clark sleeping with Lois, since the world was ending the next day, more or less.

But, what I cannot reconcile myself to is present-Clark having the same mentality as his 18-year-old-self, and his apocalyptic-future-self. If you ask me: Ma and Pa Kent spent too much time telling Clark that marriage is sacred, and not nearly enough time telling him that women, and their bodies, and their emotions, and their right to full-disclosure are sacred.

When, in “Persuasion,” Clark promised Lois forever, she gained the right to know the truth about him before he slept with her. It’s that simple.

If Clark’s not ready to be honest with Lois, then he’s not ready to be intimate with Lois. This isn’t about Clark. This isn’t about Clark’s powers, or Clark’s hang-ups. This is about his partner. And Lois deserves the respect and the honesty of the man she considers to be The One, and the man who told her that they should continue being honest with each other, and that they’d be together forever.

Clark is being selfish. Clark is only considering himself. Clark is disrespecting Lois by asking something so intimate of her without being honest with her. Which, to me, means that Clark still has a lot to learn about how to treat women in general, and how to treat the woman to whom he promised forever in particular.

I don’t support this show’s take on Clark’s sexual mentality, and I do think that this show’s depiction of Clark’s sexual mentality undermines the scruples that I’d expected a future-Superman to have.

Lois does not deserve what Clark is doing to her.
                        I know this is late, but Clark didn't have sex with Lois until he told her, which was in S10's episode "Harvest." He told her he was The Blur in the episode before that which was "Isis" In S9, they made out, but they never had sex. Every time they came close, they were interrupted. I believe TPTB did that on purpose.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎