No announcement yet.

Random Loss of English-Speaking Skills

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Loss of English-Speaking Skills

Okay, did anyone else feel like the plot element of Sun losing her ability to speak English was pretty stupid? Seriously, I thought it was ridiculous and I honestly don't see the point other than to make things end up the opposite of what they were at the start of the series (Jin speaking only Korean and Sun knowing English). I'm glad she can at least write in English, but that's going to get old really quickly. I liked Jack's motivational speech to her, and her written responses, though.

Originally posted by SGuthrie27
    Okay, did anyone else feel like the plot element of Sun losing her ability to speak English was pretty stupid? Seriously, I thought it was ridiculous and I honestly don't see the point other than to make things end up the opposite of what they were at the start of the series (Jin speaking only Korean and Sun knowing English). I'm glad she can at least write in English, but that's going to get old really quickly. I liked Jack's motivational speech to her, and her written responses, though.
    I was thinking it has something to do with the Sideways where she can't speak English. Eh. Um. Hmm. I really don't know why they would make her lose her ability to speak English if it doesn't have to do with the sideways or at least something big. Like you said, what's the point?

I was actually hoping that she would wake up from the head injuring having flashed to the sideways. Too much to ask for I suppose.

Unless, they just really wanted her to be able to tell everyone off without them knowing what she said. That could be it too.

Or, they are going to run out of paper just when something important happens that Sun knows all about but she can't say.

I suppose I could go on and just think up as many scenarios as possible. Maybe I would hit the right one.

Comment

At first it looked like she was doing that on purpose cause she didn't want to talk to anyone. I don't see the purpose of them taking her english away. It did seem like sloppy writing on their part. I always thought she was the stronger one of the Kwons.

Comment

Originally posted by A Flawed Fashion
        I was thinking it has something to do with the Sideways where she can't speak English. Eh. Um. Hmm. I really don't know why they would make her lose her ability to speak English if it doesn't have to do with the sideways or at least something big. Like you said, what's the point?

I was actually hoping that she would wake up from the head injuring having flashed to the sideways. Too much to ask for I suppose.

Unless, they just really wanted her to be able to tell everyone off without them knowing what she said. That could be it too.

Or, they are going to run out of paper just when something important happens that Sun knows all about but she can't say.

I suppose I could go on and just think up as many scenarios as possible. Maybe I would hit the right one.
        Hahaha, I like all of your potential scenarios. It WOULD have been cool to have her flash-sideways in her consciousness -- but then what would happen to her body on the Island? I'm also wondering if perhaps the Smoke Monster/Man in Black/Fake Locke (who really just needs his own name so I can stop calling him so many things) just took away her ability to speak English somehow just to mess with her head and make things harder for Ilana's group. But if she runs out of paper, at least there are plenty of leaves. Ink, on the other hand...

----- Added 59 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
        At first it looked like she was doing that on purpose cause she didn't want to talk to anyone. I don't see the purpose of them taking her english away. It did seem like sloppy writing on their part. I always thought she was the stronger one of the Kwons.
        I agree on the sloppy writing part, Angel. And yes, she has always seemed to be the stronger of the pair to me, too. I think (personally) that she has a higher chance of being the "chosen" Kwon, unless they want to make it Jin so that it differs from her being one of the "chosen" Oceanic Six.
        Last edited by SGuthrie27; 03-30-2010, 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

When she ran into that tree on the island there was no "sideways flash" sound.. I think some of her from the alt flashed onto the island version and there went her English... Wonder if she dies in the alt what effect it will have.. Also she did take a good hard stare at herself in the mirror.. As has everyone else in these flash sideways... And if these 2 don't add up and this alt is some sort of epilogue I'll be pissed..

Comment

im wondering too if the sideways and the island time are connected in that way. like juiliet right before she died she said it worked. wonder if she died in her flashsideways. it it does happen seems sun will die. im wondering tho will she die on the island from a bump on her head cause that would be silly lol. looking forward to see how it all works out.

Comment

i thought it was poetic.

In the beginning Jin couldn't speak, now Sun can't speak.

Almost as if Kwon means that it takes BOTH of them to be 1 candidate, they are 2 parts of the whole and only function properly when working together.

Throughout the episodes I remember when they were fighting with eachother and nothing good ever came of it, but when they were working WITH eachother they over came large obstacles.

Comment

I think it's gonna have something to do with her getting shot in the Flash-sideways. If she dies in the flash-sideways, what happens to her in 2007?

Comment

It has to do with alt-world i agree.
                  I also think she is the stronger of the two...it'll be ironic if Jin had to translate though.

Comment

I thought that MIB had made that happen somehow. Why was he chasing her anyway, if he was just going to leave her alone there and do nothing? He kept reaching out his hand to her, like he wanted her to touch him.

Comment

TPTB said the alt realities ARE important.. Yeah, it may have been thought up of on the fly.. But I still think the final outcome was the one they have intended on since day1.. Watch these two worlds will collide/meet ect..

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshua
                        i thought it was poetic.

In the beginning Jin couldn't speak, now Sun can't speak.

Almost as if Kwon means that it takes BOTH of them to be 1 candidate, they are 2 parts of the whole and only function properly when working together.

Throughout the episodes I remember when they were fighting with eachother and nothing good ever came of it, but when they were working WITH eachother they over came large obstacles.
                        I totally agree. I think that Sun has become so stressed out by her seperation from her husband, that she is subconciously trying to communicate with him even if he is no longer there. Remember how alone Jin felt when the only person he could talk to was her and they were fighting? When the reconciled is when he started speaking English, and I truly believe that the poetry of this will be resolved when Jin and Sun meet again. Sun will regain the ability to speak English when she finds Jin.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎