Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Lois must not be a very good investigative journalist...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ginevrakent
    No one said anything about the Lois and Clark relationship being perfect or a hundred percent healthy. However, I will say that relationships are strong when there's a foundation of trust. Lois and Clark are keeping secrets from each other for reasons other than lack of trust in one another.
    I disagree - there is no foundation of trust in any of the smallville relationships (not since jon and martha) and certainly none in the lois and clark relationship (form lois yes but clark no way!) - I never thought these words would be leaving my mouth but...lois is to good for clark.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewolv1970
      I disagree - there is no foundation of trust in any of the smallville relationships (not since jon and martha) and certainly none in the lois and clark relationship (form lois yes but clark no way!) - I never thought these words would be leaving my mouth but...lois is to good for clark.
      Clark just said that Lois was the most trustworthy person he knows in Persuasion. He trusts her, but that's not the reason he's not telling her all his secrets. He doesn't trust other people and what they could do to Lois if she knew his secret and he doesn't want to burden her with the weight of his secret just yet. His secrecy has nothing to do with not trusting Lois. I believe the show has made that quite plain actually.

Comment

Clark just said that Lois was the most trustworthy person he knows in Persuasion. He trusts her, but that's not the reason he's not telling her all his secrets. He doesn't trust other people and what they could do to Lois if she knew his secret and he doesn't want to burden her with the weight of his secret just yet. His secrecy has nothing to do with not trusting Lois. I believe the show has made that quite plain actually.
        Well saying someone is trustworthy is kind of hollow when in the next breadth you lie to them. All the show has made plain to see is that clark is a liar - lois shoud dump his sorry butt.

Comment

Well, you know, she has been hit on the head a lot of times over the years.

Comment

Lois and Clark trust each other, that's clear because they both admit there was stuff they weren't telling the other.

But they also RESPECT each other, enough to understand that they both have reasons for keeping said secret.

And I have to say, Clark in this instance particularly impressed me, because we KNOW all he had to do was latch his x-ray vision on to that drawer and he could have seen what she was hiding in there, but he didn't. Because he ultimately trusts her and respects her privacy, much like she's respecting his.

As for Lois, I see her questioning stuff all over the place.

Comment

Well saying someone is trustworthy is kind of hollow when in the next breadth you lie to them. All the show has made plain to see is that clark is a liar - lois shoud dump his sorry butt.
              People lie to others for reasons other than their belief in the other person's trustworthiness. Superman has always been a liar about one specific thing, so I'm not seeing your point.

Comment

People lie to others for reasons other than their belief in the other person's trustworthiness. Superman has always been a liar about one specific thing, so I'm not seeing your point.

my point is that clark is a habitual liar well past the point of making him a suitable companion for lois as his character is written on this show. I think every time clark lies to lois in an episode of smallville would make a great drinking game. Heck he even lied to lois about ollie and that did not even have anything to do with protecting his identity.

Comment

Superman is overprotective of his secret because of the danger that comes with knowing his identity, not because he doesn't trust people.

ITA with ginevrakent!

Comment

my point is that clark is a habitual liar well past the point of making him a suitable companion for lois as his character is written on this show.
                    Clark is a habitual liar to Lois in every incarnation of the Clark/Lois relationship. So are you suggesting Lois and Clark are unsuited for each other in all Superman media?

Heck he even lied to lois about ollie and that did not even have anything to do with protecting his identity.
                    You pointed one of the few times Clark has lied to Lois that I thought was uncalled for based on the severity of Oliver's situation.

Comment

Please don't sell Lois short on her saviness. Look how she handled Dr. Chisolm last night. She kept her cool, tried to separate herself from the guy at the cafe and dial 911 but despite these efforts she still got snared by him.

While in his possession, she tried to reason with him to free Vala. Throughout the the entire time she was plotting how to get free of the guy and rescue Vala. When the chips were down she held the fort until Clark arrived to finish off Dr. Chisolm. If plan A didn't work it was onto plan B. She kept her cool and her mind was working overtime trying to salvage a desparate situation. Man, I'd want this woman in my corner.

The best investigative reporter of the evening was actually Zod. This guy is a chamelion. Wow the way he inserted himself at the DP and just melted into the flow of the daily routine was quite a reminder of just how formidable this guy is. THe way his mind worked to find Chisolm was light years ahead of Clark's own method. Clark is going to need his A game when he goes up against Zod.

Zod certainly knows talent and last night Lois Lane impressed this man with her coolness under fire and her adherence to the miliatry credo of never leaving anyone behind. Someting Zod obviously holds dear to his own pesonal ethics as a soldier as described in Faora's account to Clark of her own rescue by Zod.
                      Last edited by techtweeter; 02-27-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Clark is a habitual liar to Lois in every incarnation of the Clark/Lois relationship. So are you suggesting Lois and Clark are unsuited for each other in all Superman media?

You pointed one of the few times Clark has lied to Lois that I thought was uncalled for based on the severity of Oliver's situation.

no because in smallville he does it way more casually and frequently and really he lies to everyone ( i mean he even lied to the innocent morgue guy to get what he wanted.) Clarks lying on smallville is out of control. Count up the honest statements he makes in any one episode comapred to the lies. its getting close to 50/50. Martha would be disgusted at the way clark is treating lois. Plus he is in a full on relationship with her as clark kent only which is a little different than the other media.

Comment

no because in smallville he does it way more casually and frequently and really he lies to everyone ( i mean he even lied to the innocent morgue guy to get what he wanted.) Clarks lying on smallville is out of control. Count up the honest statements he makes in any one episode comapred to the lies. its getting close to 50/50. Martha would be disgusted at the way clark is treating lois. Plus he is in a full on relationship with her as clark kent only which is a little different than the other media.
                          how did he lie in that scene? clark actually told the truth about what reporters do with very little info, its the reason why newspaper companies get sued over articles their journalists print

Comment

no because in smallville he does it way more casually and frequently and really he lies to everyone
                            How is this different from other Superman media?

( i mean he even lied to the innocent morgue guy to get what he wanted.)
                            This was a strategy to get information. Lois does this kind of thing all the time. She did it in this very episode, in fact, with Chisholm in the cafe.

Martha would be disgusted at the way clark is treating lois. Plus he is in a full on relationship with her as clark kent only which is a little different than the other media.
                            Martha didn't seem disgusted with Clark lying to Lana for nearly six years. She also knows what it's like to lie all the time to protect the people she loves. It's also no different than Clark in other media. Superman lied to Lois about his true identity as Clark Kent while he was having sex with Lois (Superman: Doomsday) and he kept his secret from Lois after he proposed to her in the comics. Those definitely seem like "full on" relationships to me.

Comment

bluewolv1970 No offense, but I can't seem to understand what you're saying.
                              Clark in Smallville is a liar but the rest aren't???

I mean we all know Superman lies, but he does it to PROTECT! not just for the fun of it. I just don't get what you've been saying.

ginevrakent Now you I completely get and totally agree.
                              Plus I do kinda agree that we have been lacking on investigating Lois and Clark but then again this is Smallville not Lois and Clark the new adventures of Superman and honestly, I really can see Lois getting to be the big deal she is in the Superman Martyr.

So all in all, We definitely know Lois suspects, and she asks questions but also respects the privacy of an individual and respects their answer. I don't know if you want her to be asking and bugging people. If that's what you want then you mistake her for Lana I suggest you go back 9 seasons and re-watch the first 3!

Comment

Responding from a post in the Smallville Spoiler Discussion forum:

Originally posted by utguardian
                                That's how I felt in "Conspiracy" when Lois didn't seem to know that Zod was the ceo of RAO even though he's been shown to be promoting the towers to the press, even on television. Made no sense. Sometimes their screwups are so simply fixed it's maddening that nobody, from the writers to the producers to the actors to the editors, seems to notice.
                                Maybe they didn't think they needed to spell out something that was so glaringly obvious (i.e. everyone in Metropolis, including Lois, would have known Zod was the head of R.A.O. Inc.). For instance, I suspect Zod being CEO of RAO was implied to be common knowledge as illustrated by how Zod felt it necessary to put on glasses to disguise himself at the DP--something he wouldn't have had to do if he didn't believe people would recognize him.

I'm also not entirely sure we can say that Lois didn't know Zod was the CEO of RAO already either, since Lois clearly called the FBI headquarters to look into Zod; hence she was already suspicious of him. From my perspective, I don't feel as if it was implied she didn't know Zod was the head of RAO. It just wasn't addressed at all either way.

We can't know for certain that Lois was unaware Zod was the CEO of RAO just because she didn't specifically address the issue in the episode. What I do know, however, is Lois came to the conclusion that there were things about Zod that weren't adding up, which tells me she's not just letting the inconsistencies of his biography slip by unnoticed. I sort of thought that's what she meant when she responded to Clark's hilariously bad lying by saying things still didn't "add up" and saying she still believed Clark was "hiding something earth shattering about Zod."

Furthermore, Lois was going to write an expose on the RAO towers in Persuasion. She knew the work schedules of the union laborers and was handed a portfolio of information from a DP staffer. Do we honestly believe Lois doesn't know that Zod is the CEO of RAO? You don't think that maybe, just maybe, that would have been included in the expose? I do. For that reason, I'm going to give Lois the benefit of the doubt that she knows at least as much about Zod as the average Joe on the street.

The thing about ambiguity is that in the absence of definitive evidence, it is impossible to make a definitive judgment. Right now, all we can say is that we don't know if Lois has made the connection or not. So when you speak of things making sense, or logic, one would think that logically Lois would have known about Zod just like everybody else. Logic tells us that Lois Lane is the kind of person who knows these things based on past episodes like Stiletto when she knew specific details about the crime bosses in Metropolis. Logic also tells us that Lois was skeptical of Zod's cover and went so far as to look into him further. So what makes sense, and is logical, is to take all of this into account and give Lois the benefit of the doubt that she did know that Zod was the CEO of RAO.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎