Jack has a son?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack has a son?

wow jacks life really did change huh?

Yep, it looks like the AU has some major changes. We shouldn't be surprised because the AU changed way before anyone can in contact with the Island. Some of these changes are more subtle than others.

But, IMHO it almost becomes cliche in a way; like you expect them to reveal something like that at some point.

Comment

I know, that's what I'm figuring, now -- like how Helen still stayed with Locke, which really threw me. Shannon staying behind wasn't a major deal for me. But now with Jack having a teenage son... Who's the mom going to be, then? It wouldn't be Sarah, I don't think, 'cause that relationship happened not terribly long before Jack went on Oceanic 815, right? I'm already formulating a list in my head of possible mom's for Jack's son... Maybe Juliet, Libby, or (and this would be kinda trippy) Penny?

Comment

Well the thing with the AU, at least to me, isn't that they didn't just not go to the island, it's that Jacob isn't playing puppet master with their life. So things that happened in the flashbacks that led them to go to the island are not happening. We're seeing what their life would be like without their destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by SGuthrie27
          I'm already formulating a list in my head of possible mom's for Jack's son... Maybe Juliet, Libby, or (and this would be kinda trippy) Penny?
          Hmm... can't say I'm really a fan of it being Juliet or Penny at all - though Juliet wouldn't be as weird as Penny and Penny would add one weirdly interesting dynamic. Ah speculation.... Maybe Libby(sorry hurley) and really any other minor female character not tied up in an important romance on the show over the years would be interesting. Juliet and Penny would be weird based on everything that happened to the characters as we knew them on the island.

I think it would have to be someone we've seen and his ex-wife is too easy and not terribly interesting. Also, there wouldn't be a point in not telling us who she is - the suspense would be drawn out for no reason and lead to larger audience expectations than were warranted.

It'll be interesting to find out who she is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabularasa
            Well the thing with the AU, at least to me, isn't that they didn't just not go to the island, it's that Jacob isn't playing puppet master with their life. So things that happened in the flashbacks that led them to go to the island are not happening. We're seeing what their life would be like without their destiny.
            There might still be some sort of "destiny" or rather interfering/controlling thing going on in the AU, as afterall almost all the same people ended up on the same plane at the same time again even though their lives are all supposedly different. And Desmond just happened to be on the plane, Jack's father's body inexplicably disappeared, etc. Strange events that tell us something's not quite all "natural" about this universe, either. And we don't know for sure whether or not Jacob is messing around in the AU too yet. He may need or be using both universes for his master plan/grand vision (as Jacob seems to be "all seeing"). Seems to me that everything that happens/is happening Jacob has already foreseen, including everything going on in the 2nd universe. That's why he's so damned smug all the time. heh
            Last edited by Xanderman; 02-24-2010, 02:29 AM.

Comment

It would be some random chick, we haven't met yet. Or maybe Alexandra Rousseau or Juliet Burkes but my favourite off the park choice would be Charlotte Staples Lewis as Daniel Faraday would have not existed being the son of Charles Widmore and Eloise Hawkings (who obviously meets up on the Island)

Comment

Hmm... Could be Charlotte; I didn't think of that. Or Ana-Lucia. Great point, Tabularasa. So perhaps, since Jacob may not have had interactions with them previously, Sawyer never wrote that letter to the conman? Maybe he's not even Sawyer. Perhaps he chose a different career path that we haven't seen as of yet. Winning the lottery with the Island sunk clearly didn't destroy Hurley's luck as it happened in the other universe. So many mysterious occurrences... I can't wait to get all the answers we've been waiting for!

Comment

All I could think was "WTF, no seriously WTF?!!!!" at Jack having a son in an alt nonsensical au land aka waste of airtime, lol. Did catch the bit of him spotting his appendix removal scar that Juliet gave him though, that was a teansy bit interesting.... well, if it didnt take up like 20 more mins on a dumbass Jack has a kid - when he doesn't REALLY have a kid - storyline.

Comment

I wouldn't count out the AU storyline. I have a feeling that's gonna end up connecting in the end. Also, I don't think the point was just that Jack has a son, but he's letting go of the problems he had with his dad. His son was just a way of doing that. If Jack ever feared that he was becoming like his father, he proved himself wrong.
                    Last edited by Tabularasa; 02-24-2010, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't count out the AU storyline. I have a feeling that's gonna end up connecting in the end. Also, I don't think the point was just that Jack has a son, but he's letting go of the problems he had with his dad. His son was just a way of doing that. If Jack ever feared that he was becoming like his father, he proved himself wrong.
                      I'm still very confused about this alternate reality stuff. I understand the point of what the writers are trying to show, especially with the relationship between Jack and his son David and how that relates to Jack's relationship with Christian, but how is this going to tie into the end of the series? IMO, if Jack really does have a kid, then that changes everything about Jack's character that we have known for 6 seasons. I'd really prefer to stick with who the characters are in the island timeline rather than making all of these dramatic changes in all of the character's pasts. It's almost as if the writers are cheating a bit by just introducing a bunch of things that don't match what we have seen so far on Lost.

Comment

I think the point, besides any way of connecting the time lines in the end, is to show that these characters had the chance to be something else, have a better life. But that changed when Jacob pushed them into going to the island. It begs the question, did Jacob do the right thing? Are they better off on the island fighting for what they believe in (I think we can assume there will be a battle between good and evil in the end) or were they better off with the life they could've had?

Comment

I agree 100 percent with that and I actually love that concept. I just don't think that I would be too happy if these alternate reality characters with their changed pasts end up being a part of who the characters are at the end of the show. The writers should show what things would be like if there were no plane crash, but it should really end there, IMO. The island timeline should be the main reality.

Comment

Oh yeah, I agree. And I believe the writers know that. They acknowledged the fact that they knew the fans would not be happy if they re-set things at comic-con last summer. I think the writers have a pretty good grasp of their fans.

But at the same time, we have to understand that the writers are going to end the show the way they want. We probably won't agree with them, but it's their show. I can already see a majority of the fan base hating the finale.

Comment

Oh yeah, I agree. And I believe the writers know that. They acknowledged the fact that they knew the fans would not be happy if they re-set things at comic-con last summer. I think the writers have a pretty good grasp of their fans.

But at the same time, we have to understand that the writers are going to end the show the way they want. We probably won't agree with them, but it's their show. I can already see a majority of the fan base hating the finale.

No doubt about that. I'm actually prepared for a sad ending where the majority of characters are killed. What I don't want is for everyone to be killed and these alternate reality changes to stick at the end. As long as both of these things don't happen, I probably won't have any issues with the ending.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎