Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kal-ed
    no, we also had that scene with Jeremy Renner in the Bourne Legacy, beard and all, and no one compared him to Jesus, its the whole deal about Superman = Jesus being a "top of mind" on peoples heads that anything that resembles that sends people running to the hills. I didn't even think about any Jesus imagery until you mentioned it, went back to see it and nope, a beard and open arms is not privy to Jesus, or Jesus symbolism.

I dont see how Superman being handcuffed evokes Donnerverse and/or SR.

In fact the "maybe" part, was more inline with the rest of the trailer: the darker tone, the "its not all black and white" and the "who am I and what should I do with my powers" Will they/wont they trust him (which any of them were themes in either Donner or Singer´s versions) seems to be what´s being showcased prominently on the trailers.

And its not just to me, who thinks it has a darker tone, judging by other posters is what most people got from the trailer, some like the idea, some are open to the idea and some are displeased with this less upbeat theme but most people agreed that the "Maybe" seems to be the direction the trailer had. I anything I think its heading in a Batman Begins direction.
    We don't associate Jason Bourne with Jesus because the movies have never done so. The Donner-verse has and everything that takes influences from it, namely SR and Smallville. For MOS I don't think this would be anything new or original nor is it really servicing a character who is biology and tech based, not spiritual based. But that's what all these movies are going for and this new trailer seems to continue with that notion. They're abstract and intangible. We don't see something concrete like Superman's cells reacting to sun light, him building the Fortress of Solitude or the Superman costume with his bare hands or with kryptonian tech. By all intents and purposes MOS still treats Superman like he's a mystical being emerging from the arctic and taking flight with music in the background like he's about to walk on water. Compare it to Green Lantern's trailer where Hal receives his ring from a dying space alien in a ship, later transforms into the costume and takes flight. I think the sci-fi aspect would be something new and more preferable to Superman, but thematically, that's not what MOS seems to be doing based on the trailers. The last 30 seconds of the trailer at least gives us some space ships and space rays.

I don't think the handcuffed Superman evokes the Donner-verse either. I mentioned that bit as points for MOS. That was something new and interesting.

I certainly hope most of the dialogue supports the tone of the movie. But thematically it sounds like SR. Again, maybe it's the way it's presented in these trailers. But it's anything from realistic or grounded which is what I think the movie is going for. Ma and Pa are farmers, they should use old country sayings to convey a message to Clark. Instead they sound like preachers at a church. "Your father always said you were put here for a reason". It sounds like that to my ears.

I'm sure the movie will be dark in tone and similar to Batman Begins but for me, this trailer didn't convey it, at least the first half of it.
    Last edited by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow; 12-13-2012, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
      I'm sure the movie will be dark in tone and similar to Batman Begins
      It won't.

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
      but for me, this trailer didn't convey it, at least the first half of it.
      Didn't convey it for me neither, neither the first or the second half.

And I wouldn't describe the tone as dark. Serious, somber, sure. Not dark. If I think dark I think Blade Runner and that's the mildest example of the term. MOS doesn't even look anywhere near TDK ´´dark``. Again it's just a catchphrase people use in this case because they are used of Superman a lot more campy, cheerful and taken non-seriously so that MOS looks dark in comparison.

Anyway, here is a download link to the full HQ 1080p version. http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/m..._2_2D_1080.mov Good for slowing down, screencaps, and I hate watching it on YouTube because everything always looks darker on it, at least on my screen.

Comment

• Originally posted by cksidekick
        After about a hundred views of the trailer I have come to a few assumptions that seem to go against what others on the net are assuming. I'll list them in case anyone wants to discuss them.

1: There is a shot of a city being destroyed. Most seem to think it is Metropolis and the view is from Zod's ship. I think it is, in fact, a view of Krypton and the woman in the shot is Laura. Perhaps it is just after Clark's ship has been launched and it's literally her last shot in the movie.

2: I don't think we have seen ANY shot of Clark in the Fortress. I think the set most are assuming to be so, is actually the interior of Zod's ship. There are set pieces that appear to me to be stasis pods. I'm guessing Clark opens them and actually sets Zod loose on the Earth. He would have no way to know Zod's history.

3: Clark's line, "I have so many questions." is not a conversation with Jor-El. I think he is talking with Zod. I'm wondering if we will even see a Fortress in this movie. Or if perhaps the key we see in the trailer can re-program Zod's crashed ship with Jor-El's software. Either way, I'm starting to think the Fortress itself will not be some Krypto tech that "creates" itself. It will simply be a crashed Kryptonian ship in a remote location that Clark's key can be downloaded into. Rather "SMALLVILLE-ish" but plausible.
        Interesting observations.

I hope its good and is more action than love story, not that there's anything wrong with a love story

Comment

• Originally posted by cksidekick
          1: There is a shot of a city being destroyed. Most seem to think it is Metropolis and the view is from Zod's ship. I think it is, in fact, a view of Krypton and the woman in the shot is Laura. Perhaps it is just after Clark's ship has been launched and it's literally her last shot in the movie.
          I have to agree that the woman is probably Lara watching the destruction of Krypton, but there are also some something significant happening to Metropolis. One screen grab I saw clearly showed a semi truck in a big pile of rubble, and I doubt that Perry White (who can be seen running from at least one falling building) was ever on Krypton. My guess is we saw the destuction of Krypton, and then whatever happened to Krypton started to happen to Metropolis... unless Metropolis is "destroyed" in a fight between Zod and Superman like it was practically destroyed in the comics in the fight between Superman and Doomsday (either is a possibility).

Comment

• With these things, bet on symmetry. One of the explosion shots clearly shows vehicles with English lettering and numbers. It would not shock me to find out that Zod is somehow responsible for both, and Superman's big task will be to stop history from repeating itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by corfy
              I have to agree that the woman is probably Lara watching the destruction of Krypton, but there are also some something significant happening to Metropolis.

When I first saw the trailer I automatically thought the women in that brief image was Faora, watching on as Zod & Superman went at it, or maybe watching as Zod's dastardly plan came to fruition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                With these things, bet on symmetry. One of the explosion shots clearly shows vehicles with English lettering and numbers. It would not shock me to find out that Zod is somehow responsible for both, and Superman's big task will be to stop history from repeating itself.
                It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Comment

• Yeah, I think that's exactly what is going on. The trailer shows glimpses of both Krypton's destruction (which was completed) and the attempted destruction in Metropolis. Thematic book ends. The difference being, Clark (with super powers) is able to stop the destruction of Earth.

Comment

• Twitter Report: 'Man of Steel' Soars

Comment

• More tweets than the Twilight and Batman trailers? woah!
                      Last edited by Rianna; 12-18-2012, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Now that you mention it, a friend of mine, who isn't really into Superhero movies, twitted that she wanted to see it. It struck me as odd due to 2 main reasons: a)I know for a fact its not the type of movie she likes. b)she never uses twitter for anything else than socilizing (saying hi to other friends, or where she´s going, where she´s been or where she is. stuff like that). I mean its just one person but considering all the factors I think it speaks volumes that she would not only be interested in seeing the movie but actually took the time to talk about it on twitter.
                        Last edited by Kal-ed; 12-19-2012, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• Good news. I hope we see more Superman movies fairly soon after MOS.

Comment

• Aw, I feel so guilty. I didn't tweet about it.

Comment

• Me neither, I promise next trailer, I´ll attempt to make it a trending topic.

Comment

• Supes and Bats sit down to chat about the latest Man Of Steel trailer. http://youtu.be/KVu3gS7iJu4 Thank you for watching!-------------Knock Knock joke is de...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎