This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched it again not long ago...still an amazing episode to rewatch

Comment

• Defi not for me and probs one of the worst episodes of the season for me. I'm not deep into the comic book stuff and that's probs why it didn't work for me. Thought the JSA was pure cheese, the action rubbish, Hawkman embarrassing (those wings!) and the whole thing just too far out there! I want this to be about Clark and not more and more new superheroes. It's like everyone in Smallville\Metropolis has super powers. It can hardly be a big public reveal when Superman appears....it's just another person with super powers. But still a solid season.

Comment

• I stick by above post, im watching it now it really holds up. It had this epic scope that really made it feel like a movie IMO. The Score set it over the edge. and i like the differe angles, its very cool! Its a Great Comic Book Movie! I hope the Finale will be the best SUPERMAN MOVIE!

Comment

• you know what ticks me about this episode beside the death of Dr. Fate. Also you have all these great heroes, and who do they fight. Some punk teenager. And he kills Dr. Fate. Some little punk kills Dr. Fate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rival X The Great
            you know what ticks me about this episode beside the death of Dr. Fate. Also you have all these great heroes, and who do they fight. Some punk teenager. And he kills Dr. Fate. Some little punk kills Dr. Fate.
            Good point!

Comment

• I was just re-reading the DC event series "Infinite Crisis" (which was also written by Geoff Johns, the writer of AJ) and there was a scene where Martian Manhunter says "I am Marsīsole survivor. There is a reason for that". He says the exact same thing in the final fight sequence at watchtower in AJ. I never actually noticed this before. What great insider-reference to Infinite Crisis for the comics-fans. Thats why I love Geoffs episodes so much. He perfectly blends the show with tons of stuff from the comics and always sneaks in references like that for the comics fans

Comment

• A pet peeve I have with the Geoff Johns penned episodes, is that they tend to feel like an attempt to prop other DC characters, than proper episodes of Smallville ("Booster" being the worst offender). The show had gone on for nine years by this point and now, without any build-up, here's suddenly a never before mentioned previous generation of superheroes (in fact, a line of dialogue from Hawkman implies there has been two generations of superheroes, before Clark's generation), who even have a museum dedicated to them. And the reason for why we've never heard about them before, is that they did their best to stick to the shadows... While wearing colorful costumes. And Chloe never came across references to them, during all her years of investigating metahumans/meteor freaks. Now, granted, for the longest time, Chloe thought everything started with the 1989 meteor shower. So, she might not have bothered looking beyond Smallville, Kansas and prior to October, 1989. However, they still should've done some build-up in the earlier episodes of the season. Or given a stronger motivation to why we've never heard about them before (perhaps all memories of them were erased by someone).

This version of the JSA moved the team from WWII to the 1970's. In the past, I think I've objected to this, but it makes sense. They're supposed to be a previous generation, active alongside Clark's generation (born in the 1980's). You can only make them so old, before it gets ridiculous that they're still active. Furthermore, some of the JSA:ers (going by the comics) would have kids around Clark age or younger. So, people born in the 1910's and 1920's wouldn't have kids until the 1980's (when they'd be around 60-70 years old). Hawkman and Hawkgirl would've come together in the early 1940's, but wouldn't have had a kid for over 40 years.

Not too crazy about regular cops being able to take down the JSA. However, them being framed for crimes could be used to tie into the origins of some of their kids. Both the kids of Alan Scott and Al Pratt grew up in adoptive homes, in the comics (and have some pretty convoluted backstories). Thus, in the Smallville-verse the children of some members of the JSA were taken away and placed in foster care, when their parents were arrested. The children of Alan Scott and Al Pratt were also given new names: Todd Rice, Jennifer-Lynn Hayden and Grant Emerson. In the comics, the origin of Jade and Obsidian is pretty complicated. Their mom was a supervillain with multiple personalities. She was seemingly cured and turned good. Having a crush on the original GL, she created a false identity and married him. On their honeymoon, her evil side resurfaced and she faked her own death. Later discovering that she was pregnant, she gave up the kids for adoption to protect them (rather than trying to contact their father, so he could take care of them). Looking at that alternative (which most adaptations won't likely ever get into), it's a lot easier to say that they were placed in foster care, after their father was framed and arrested, and issued new names.

This episode also introduced Stargirl. Which is understandable, due to it being written by Geoff Johns, who created the character and named her after his late sister. However, using her was a mistake. When Oliver confronts her, after she's taken the cosmic staff from the police, she comes across as smug and unlikeable about how the staff is her now. Almost like she had waited for Sylvester to die, so she'd have his stuff. Black Canary is whom the episode should've used. She is a pre-established character on the show, with ties to the JSA (as implied by the JSA painting). You'd have her come in, she hears the name of the murder victim and has a strange reaction and begins to pull away from the rest of the team, while starting to make phone calls to her "uncles". Which then leads to us finding out more about Dinah's past. That her mother was part of this group and they helped to raise her, after the death of her mother.

The episode could've also used a better villain than Icicle.

I quite liked the JSA reveal montage. Louis Febre's score really took it to another level. Concerning the earlier shown footage of the JSA:ers being arrested. We see an injured woman in Wesley Dodds' hands. Is that supposed to be someone? I once thought it might be his girlfriend, Dian Belmont. But, upon rewatching it now, I'm thinking this might be Dinah's mother. The problem is we never learn anything about her. She could be Dian, she could be Dinah's mother, she could be a random person.

Also nice to see Martian Manhunter get his powers back (and his true form revealed).
                Last edited by jon-el87; 04-14-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎