Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convenience

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the doors seem to be closing, leaving Lex as her only option. Nice. *rubs her hands together*

I'm looking forward to reading more!

Comment

Originally posted by gem65
      I'm really enjoying this story. But then again, I enjoy all your stories. I think that Lex and Chloe do make an fascinating couple. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how their relationship progresses. Another great job my friend.
      Thanks hon. This is going to be sweet rather than sour. At least I hope so. I'm really glad you're enjoying this though.

Comment

Originally posted by lexie2
        All the doors seem to be closing, leaving Lex as her only option. Nice. *rubs her hands together*

I'm looking forward to reading more!
        I love your reaction. I will try to post more soon. Promise.

Comment

There had been that one fantasy, when she was sixteen, of Lex coming in to the Torch office, pushing her up against the Wall of Weird and ... No, she so wasn’t going there.
          Go there, go there! I want you to GO THERE!!! LOL!

This is shaping up nicely, Leanne. Hope we get to see more of Lex's POV!

Well done, girl.

Comment

wow. i love this story. keep on keepin on.....

Comment

*looks left and right*

Er...where's the next update?

Comment

Originally posted by BabyDee
                *looks left and right*

Er...where's the next update?
                Okay, okay, I can take a hint. Sheesh! I'll update this story next.

Comment

Chapter Four

Lex hadn’t seen Chloe for a couple of weeks when she walked into his office. Walked? Dragged her feet, more like, Lex thought. She looked depressed.

“Finals not go well?” he asked as she slouched in the leather chair, staring into space. She didn’t answer him. “O-o-okay,” he said to himself. He was tempted to get up out of his chair and out from behind the desk, but Chloe’s body language just screamed rejection.

He knew she hadn’t found another job. And she hadn’t been able to get a loan either. Clark had kept him informed on that front. He also knew about the Planet cutting her hours back.

Chloe’s shoulders were shaking. Lex realised she was crying. And Chloe was tough. It took a lot to make her cry. He let instinct take over and got up, going to her and pulling her into his arms. She sobbed on his shoulder. He stayed silent, rubbing her back, letting her cry it out. The stress of trying to find another job, studying and her internship had finally got to her.

After several minutes, and one very wet silk shirt later, Chloe sniffled and lifted her head. Lex grabbed a Kleenex and handed it to her to blow her nose.

“I’m sorry. I’ve probably ruined your shirt,” she said, her fingertip lightly caressing the silk. Lex tried to still the tiny shiver that went through his body at the way she was touching him. It was the lightest of touches, but he could still feel it. Feel her. God, how he wanted her. Why couldn’t he just tell her how he felt?

Idiot, he thought. You’re here thinking how much you want her and she’s obviously in pain. Idiot!

He just shrugged instead.

“It’s okay. Plenty more where this one came from.”

Chloe almost rolled her eyes as she gave him a weak smile.

“Jerk,” she said.

Damn it, he had meant to be sympathetic, not bragging about how much money he had. She was struggling and he hadn’t meant to rub it in her face. So much for being a genius, he thought. Stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Chloe was trying to get his attention.

“Lex.”

“Mmm?”

“You think too much.”

Lex cocked an eyebrow at her. Had he said it all out loud? No, he couldn’t have. And damn it, here was a beautiful woman who needed him and all he could think about was himself. He deserved to be called all the names under the sun.

“Chloe, I’m sorry. I know it hasn’t been easy for you the last couple of weeks.”

“Do you and Clark tell each other everything?”

He laughed wryly. “I guess we do.”

Chloe snickered. “It’s hopeless trying to keep secrets around you two. Especially with Clark and his super-hearing.”

“It’s annoying sometimes, isn’t it?”

“Boy, you said it.”

Lex got up, hearing his knee pop from being on the floor too long. But this had been all about Chloe’s comfort, not his. So he ignored the throbbing ache it left behind. He picked up his suit jacket from the hanger and put it on. He might not be worried about the wet spot on his shirt, but people expected him to look perfect.

“Hey, how about we go and get some coffee downstairs,” he suggested. “My treat.”

He must have said the magic word as Chloe broke out in a sunny smile as they walked to the elevator.

“Great, ‘cause you know I’m broke. And I’m caffeine deprived.”

“Well, you know, I did have the solution for that,” he said.

And Chloe fell silent. She was quiet all the way down to the first floor, and didn’t say anything until their coffee orders had been set on the table in front of them. The waitresses here didn’t comment on the sight of the local billionaire sitting in their cafe. He and Chloe often had coffee here, since the Daily Planet was barely a block away. And when Lex felt like playing hooky, this was a good place to go.

Chloe was running her finger along the top of her cup. She sampled a little of the foam, lifting her finger to lick it off, then sucked on her finger for a moment. Lex’s heart stopped beating for a second and he gulped. Maybe it was unconscious, maybe Chloe didn’t even know she was doing it, or what it was doing to him, but it sent almost an electric shock through him. Dear god, he thought. It was going to take all his willpower to stop himself from jumping her then and there.

“So,” Chloe said, “this, um, idea, you had, you know, about us, uh, getting married. I mean, what would it, um, entail?”

“How do you mean?”

“Well, would it be, like, um, real ... a – a real marriage?”

She meant sex. Of course she did. That was why she was blushing so hard.

“If you wanted it that way, then yes.” And oh god, why was he giving her an out? When he wanted it to be a real marriage. Why on earth had he ever suggested a marriage of convenience anyway? Idiot! he berated himself.

“But there’d be like, an agreement, right?”

“A pre-nuptial agreement? If Lionel was here, he’d insist on it. I think it might be a good idea.”

Was she really thinking about it? Was this some kind of dream? Lex desperately wanted to pinch himself, just to be sure it was real. Chloe was actually considering his proposal.

Chloe sipped her coffee, a far away look in her eyes. She turned her head away from him and looked out at the street for a moment. Then she sighed.

“I don’t think I have any other choice,” she said. And that was like a knife to his heart. “I mean,” she continued quietly, “all I’ve ever wanted since I was a kid was to be a reporter at the Daily Planet. And I’ll never have that if I don’t finish my degree. I want to be the best reporter they have, but I can’t finish college the way things are.”

She would never accept a loan or a gift from him. He’d always known that. Chloe Sullivan was almost as proud as Jonathan Kent had been about accepting gifts – especially from a Luthor. This was the only solution. He knew that. And he knew that she knew that.

Her eyes were shining as she turned back to him.

“Okay, Lex. I’ll do it. I’ll marry you.”

Chloe thanked her lucky stars that exams were over and she was working reduced hours at the Planet. And she never thought she’d be grateful for that. But the first few weeks of summer were horrendously busy. Once she’d accepted Lex’s proposal – which sounded more like two companies merging rather than two people embarking on a new journey together, her life had been a whirlwind of activity.

Lex had produced a ring which had belonged to his mother, Lillian. A beautiful eighteen carat solitaire diamond. Lionel had kept it all those years to pass on to Lex. For some reason, Lex had never given it to the two other women he’d proposed marriage to. Chloe had a fleeting hope that perhaps he had never really considered them right for him.

Lex had decided it shouldn’t be a long engagement. But it left Chloe a month to organise everything. She was immensely grateful for both Lana and Lois’ help as she made all the arrangements. Lex had told her he could get everything organised but she wanted to do it herself. That way it felt like a real marriage. To her, at least. But she never said anything of the sort to Lex.

Then there were the parties. As soon as it got out that Lex was getting married, there were invitations to every important event. All of Metropolis’ elite wanted a look at the woman who had ‘supposedly’ captured the elusive billionaire’s heart.

It was at one such party that Chloe began to wonder if she had made a huge mistake. Especially when she ran into Victoria Hardwicke.

“Well, Chloe Sullivan. Weren’t you that silly little high school girl who used to annoy Lex in ... what was it? Smallville?”

Lex was immediately by her side. He kissed her on the cheek and glared at Victoria.

“Well, Victoria. And how is Sir Harry?”

Victoria bristled visibly. The last time she and Lex had been together, her father had been almost bankrupted by the Luthors.

“He’s well,” she said stiffly. “I must say I’m surprised at you Lex. Slumming?” She looked Chloe up and down, then glared as if Chloe was a bug on the sidewalk.

Lex shook his head dismissively. “Jealous Victoria?”

The woman actually snorted, which just demonstrated how little class she actually had. Chloe watched Victoria redden as Lex glared at her silently, making it clear nothing she said mattered in the slightest.

“Darling, there’s a few people you haven’t met yet,” he said, leading her away, an arm around her waist. Victoria was left standing in the middle of the room, having been summarily dismissed. She tossed her head, long auburn hair flying as she walked off in a huff.

Chloe was so relieved when that party was over. Spending the entire night wondering if she was going to end up with a knife if her back wasn’t a pleasant thought.

She spent an entire day with Lana and Lois the next day looking at wedding dresses. Anything to ease the tension she was feeling.

“You okay cuz?” Lois asked as they sat down for coffee after having rejected yet another collection.

“Fine.”

“You don’t look fine,” Lana said.

Okay, so she was stressed. It wasn’t easy preparing for a wedding in under a month. Especially when everyone who was anyone was expecting something spectacular. And no matter how much she tried to convince Lex she just wanted something small, he’d said it was out of the question. It was just expected that it would be big. He was a well-known figure in the city, after all. And she would just have to get used to the fact that she would become just as well-known, if only by association.

She’d had clear evidence of that while trying on wedding dresses. Every store in town practically fell over themselves to give her the attention she supposedly deserved as Lex’s fiancée. And as much as Chloe had thought it would be fun to be fawned over, and waited on hand and foot, a la Pretty Woman, it just wasn’t as much fun as she had thought it would be. It tended to get annoying the more stores they went into.

Chloe had almost given up hope of finding anything suitable, until they walked in to a store off one of the main streets of the city. The store was so unobtrusive that it could easily have been overlooked.

“Can I help you?” the woman on the counter asked as the three girls entered. The bell above the door chimed softly. The woman, an attractive brunette, about Chloe’s height, smiled at her.

“Miss Sullivan, I presume?”

“My reputation precedes me,” Chloe said, mentally preparing herself for more fawning.

“That and the big spread in the Daily Planet,” the woman said wryly. “I’m Amanda. I own this store. I take it you’re looking for the perfect dress?”

Chloe nodded. “We’ve looked all over town ...”

“And nothing seemed to suit? Yeah, that happened to me too. It doesn’t help that we’re petite. That’s why I began designing dresses for petite women.”

Lois was looking at some of the dresses on display.

“You actually design these?” she asked. She turned and looked at Chloe. “These are gorgeous Chlo. The workmanship alone ...”

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” Amanda said. She smiled, then looked Chloe over, as if sizing her up. “I think I have the perfect dress for you,” she continued. “Excuse me a moment.”

Chloe waited, glancing nervously at the other girls. Lana was also admiring the dresses, oohing and aahing over them. A few minutes later, Amanda returned, carrying a dress in a zip-lock bag. She laid it on the counter and opened it. Chloe reached out a shaky hand and touched the delicate lace. It was a beautiful dress.

“Let’s try it on,” Amanda said, leading Chloe to the fitting rooms at the back of the store.

Lois gasped as she turned and saw Chloe in the dress. It was an off-the-shoulder in creamy white, covered in delicate, hand-made lace, and tiny shoestring straps to hold the bodice. The skirt tapered out ending in scalloped edges. It fit Chloe perfectly and accentuated her curves in all the right places.

“Wow!” Lana said. “Chloe, you look amazing.”

“You think so?”

“Cuz, you are going to knock his socks off. You are going to look so beautiful in that. Not that you aren’t already,” Lois added with a quick hug, trying not to crush the dress.

“I can see why he loves you,” Amanda commented. Chloe didn’t want to correct her on that notion.

Lex had asked her to meet him at the office before they went to dinner and she said goodbye to the girls before heading up. Lex smiled as she walked in and got up from his desk, taking her hands in his and kissing her on the cheek. Chloe wished he would kiss her properly, but he hadn’t yet. She wondered what he was waiting for.

Lex led her over to the desk.

“I had the agreement drawn up. You should read it. Before you sign it, I mean.”

Chloe shook her head. “That’s okay. I trust you.”

“Indulge me,” he said. “I don’t want you thinking I’ve cheated you out of anything.”

That grated a little, until she saw a little look cross Lex’s face, as if he was angry at himself about something. She let it go, picking up the document. It was just two pages. A standard pre-nuptial agreement, she thought. It stated that should the marriage end in divorce, she would waive all property rights. But Lex had put in a clause which had her look up at him in dismay.
                  TBC

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixnz

“I’m sorry. I’ve probably ruined your shirt,” she said, her fingertip lightly caressing the silk. Lex tried to still the tiny shiver that went through his body at the way she was touching him. It was the lightest of touches, but he could still feel it. Feel her. God, how he wanted her. Why couldn’t he just tell her how he felt?

Idiot, he thought. You’re here thinking how much you want her and she’s obviously in pain. Idiot!

But Lex had put in a clause which had her look up at him in dismay.
                    TBC
                    I'm really enjoying the way you're writing Lex in this story. Particuarly the way he thinks about things. Very interesting. And of course you had to leave it with a evil cliffhanger. But I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Another great update.
                    Last edited by gem65; 03-10-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gem65
                      I'm really enjoying the way you're writing Lex in this story. Particuarly the way he thinks about things. Very interesting. And of course you had to leave it with a evil cliffhanger. But I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Another great update.
                      Thanks hon. While I do like writing evil Lex, writing good Lex can be just as pleasurable. Glad you like the portrayal.

Evil cliffie? Moi? You know me too well.

Comment

This was a very enjoyable chapter, Leanne.

Oh, if this two would just be honest with each other! Well, there wouldn't be a fic if they were, right?

By the way, when I read the name Amanda and noticed she was a brunette, I immediately thought of Amanda Rothman- the girl Lex took to Club Zero. I always liked that girl and thought she could have been a very nice friend to Lex had she survived.Were the name and the hair colour just a coincidence? I'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

I'm really curious about the clause Lex had added to the prenup.

Comment

Originally posted by lexie2
                          This was a very enjoyable chapter, Leanne.

Oh, if this two would just be honest with each other! Well, there wouldn't be a fic if they were, right?

By the way, when I read the name Amanda and noticed she was a brunette, I immediately thought of Amanda Rothman- the girl Lex took to Club Zero. I always liked that girl and thought she could have been a very nice friend to Lex had she survived.Were the name and the hair colour just a coincidence? I'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

I'm really curious about the clause Lex had added to the prenup.
                          I did have a fleeting thought of Amanda Rothman, but I think she would have been a little taller than Chloe. So it is coincidence. I just like the name.

As for the next chapter, well, that may be a little while away yet. So I'm afraid you'll have to wait to find out what was in that clause.

Comment

wow. thank you for the nice update! you really are good.

Comment

Originally posted by macgurL91
                              wow. thank you for the nice update! you really are good.
                              I'm glad you're enjoying it. And welcome to the forum.

Comment

Oh, I could strangle you at the end, there! You're such a tease!

Great update! I loved the desciption of Chloe's dress. Exquisite!

Awesome update, Leanne.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎