No announcement yet.

The Outsider

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoenixnz
    You're right, he is being a jerk. Hence the call to Alfred. If anyone can make him see what he's losing, Alfred can. There may be a few more surprises left before this story concludes.

And don't you just love how the family, and Oliver, rally round to support her?
    Yes, I do love that. In fact, I think that was my favorite part.

PS: I just updated too in your 'favorite' forum.

Comment

Originally posted by gem65
      Yes, I do love that. In fact, I think that was my favorite part.

PS: I just updated too in your 'favorite' forum.
      Well, I can beat that. I will have another update for you in about five minutes. In the Chloe and Lex thread. I think you know the one

Comment

December 30

I have a little girl. Her name is Jessica Lillian Martha Luthor. And she has Bruce’s hair. Even Bruce can’t get over how much she looks like him.

No, we’re not back together. There’s too much hurt for that. But I am letting him see his daughter. On a part-time basis. Let’s just say that he is not allowed to pursue custody. If he comes to see her, it has to be in Smallville. Under the eagle eye of Jessie’s two uncles and her grandfather.

I’m living permanently in Smallville now. My business clients come to me, or we communicate via video link. It’s hard to believe that seven months ago I was doubting that I could be a good mother. Now I want to devote as much time as possible to my daughter.

She was born two weeks early. Not that that matters. She’s got strong lungs. Lex can testify to that. Even he can hear her screaming when she’s hungry. And he’s all the way down the other end of the house.

I went into labour thanks to Bruce. Well, maybe. We were shouting at each other at the time. He came to Smallville to see me that day. I was relaxing in front of the entertainment centre, watching a movie, when Enrique told me Bruce was here to see me. Puzzled, I went to meet him. He saw my distended belly and swallowed visibly.

“I came here to apologise for my behaviour the last few months,” he said. “I’ve been an idiot, and an assh**.”

I stood there, looking at him, arms folded. Well, as much as my huge belly would allow.

“What do you want me to say Bruce? You’re the one who said you didn’t want anything to do with this baby. And now you do?”

“Callie ...”

“I thought I told you to stay away.”

I turned and looked at Lex.

“Lex, what did you do?”

“Simple. I told Bruce never to come here again.”

I was torn. On the one hand, I knew Lex was just trying to protect me from getting hurt again. On the other, there was a part of me that wanted Bruce to know his child.

As I hesitated, Clark came in from classes.

“What’s going on?” he said, looking meaningfully at Bruce.
        Lex pulled him into a hug.

“Bruce was just leaving.”

“Lex,” I said.

He looked at me. “No, Callie. Haven’t you been hurt enough by this jerk?”

“He may be a jerk, but he’s still the father of my child.”

“Which he denied months ago, Callie. Don’t forget that.”

“I haven’t forgotten,” I told him. “But maybe Bruce should be given the opportunity to explain himself. I mean, a man is entitled to a fair trial.”

“That depends on the crime,” Lex said dryly. He studied me, then looked at Bruce and sighed. “Fine. You can talk in the den. But I swear, Wayne, if you do anything to hurt my sister I’ll kill you.”

An empty threat. At least I hoped it was.

So Bruce talked. And it was just as Clark said. He’d feared that his enemies, or rather Batman’s enemies, might find out about me and the baby and use us as targets.

“Isn’t that a risk you have to take when you care about someone?” I reasoned with a look at Lex to make sure he kept quiet.

“It’s a risk I’m unwilling to take.”

“I worry about it too,” Clark said. “I mean, Lex was always getting hurt because of some meteor freak.”

“And that was not your fault,” Lex said, putting his hand over Clark’s.

The two men looked at each other and their expressions spoke their own language. Clark turned back to Bruce.

“The point is, eventually, I plan to find some way of using my abilities but still keeping my personal life private. So that the people I love don’t get hurt.”

“The point is,” I said, looking at Bruce, “you let your own fears dictate in this situation. You could have found a way to deal with it, but you didn’t even try.”

“I do love you, Callie. I just ...”

“Do you? Because if you really did love me, Bruce, then nothing would have stood in your way.”

“It’s not that simple.”

“Why do you have to make it complicated? I mean, okay, neither one of us really had a choice when it came to this baby. I mean, I considered having an abortion, even if it went against everything I believed in. But I would have done it if it was the right thing to do. And it wasn’t. You know in your heart it wasn’t.”

“I would never have asked you to do that,” he said quietly.

“Does it matter? You know, when we came to you that day, I had no intention of asking you for anything. I can take care of myself. And I have my family. Lex, Clark, even Lionel. They’ve been there every step of the way. Through the morning sickness and the mood swings and everything else in-between. But you’ve been conspicuous by your absence, Bruce. It took you nearly five months to admit that you were wrong. So you’ll forgive me if I think your motives for being here are less than altruistic.”

“So that’s it. The verdict is out and I’m guilty?”

“Do you blame me? The last time we met, Bruce, you practically threw me out and wouldn’t return my calls.”

“I took it badly. I know that. But I’d like another chance. I can deal with this.”

“How, Bruce? Maybe, maybe you’ll lock me up in the Bat cave. Because god knows if I’m ever seen in public it will damage your reputation as the billionaire playboy!”

“That’s not how it is, Callie. You know I faked that reputation for a reason!”

“Yet as soon as people started gossiping about us, you turned tail and ran.”

“I wasn’t ready to tell the world about us, Callie!”

“You were never going to be ready, Bruce. That was the problem!”

Suddenly I felt a massive cramping pain in my stomach. “Ow!”
        Immediately Lex and Clark were by my side.

“Callie?”

Bruce looked as if he was in turmoil. He had risen from the chair, as if he wanted to come to my side. But Lex turned and gave him a look that had him shrinking in the chair. Let me tell you, don’t mess with Lex when he’s angry.

Well, that put an end to the conversation. Or rather the argument. Whether it was the shouting at each other, I don’t know. But I went into labour.

And there is no way I am going into detail about the labour. Because let me tell you it was the most painful experience I have ever been through. It’s a good thing that I inherited some of the Luthor strength because I don’t know if I would have made it through otherwise. And having Clark and Lex coaching me all the way made it easier to cope with.

Bruce apparently stayed outside, pacing. Lionel came in later and saw Bruce there but said nothing. Lex must have clued him in.

By all accounts, it was a short labour, for a first child. I wouldn’t know. I was in too much pain to keep track of how long I was in labour for. But I do know it was in the wee small hours when she was born. Why do kids always pick that particular time?

I wish I could say that I forgot all the pain when she was placed in my arms. The truth is, I was pretty numb by that time and it took a while for the memory to fade. But I fell for my daughter the instant I held her. She was so cute and so tiny and I was in love.

Bruce did come in after. I let him see her. Well, I couldn’t refuse him, could I? Just because he’d been an ******* before, it didn’t mean I shouldn’t give him a chance to prove himself.

So, anyway, that was two weeks ago. Jessie is sleeping beside me. Bruce has been a couple of times, although he stays in the Smallville Inn. Lex isn’t exactly putting out the welcome mat for him.

We actually had a little argument – Lex and I, about Bruce getting to know his daughter.

“I just think you’re being far too easy on him.”

“Lex, I get why you think that, but it’s not as if I’m letting him back in my life. You know that if he wanted to, or if he decided to be vindictive, he could take me to court and sue for custody. He’s got enough power behind him that he just might win. Do you really want him taking her away from me? From the family? At least allow him this little concession. He may be a jerk, but he is trying to do the right thing by her.”

“If Bruce decided to take you to court I’d kill him.”

“No, you wouldn’t. Lex, it’s okay. I mean, I’m not happy about the situation. He did break my heart. But I’ve got past that. Right now, all I want to think about is Jessie. So can you at least keep the peace right now? Please? Supervise the visits if you must, get in his face if you have to, but please don’t make things worse than they already are.”

Lex sighed. “Okay sis. But I swear ...”

“Yes, I know. If he hurts me or Jessie, you’ll hurt him.”

“Just as long as we’re clear.”

Jonathan and Martha have been by every chance they get. Well, when they’re not in Topeka. And they adore her. And Ollie drops by too, when he’s not busy being Green Arrow. Oops, yeah, I forgot to mention that. Clark kind of found out by accident. Seems there was some kind of fundraiser and someone had bought a necklace off the black market. Well, Ollie, er, that is, Green Arrow, had been trying to recover some items which had been stolen from their original owners and sold on the black market.

Anyway, Lois had got a job working for the Inquisitor, since Martha is acting as Jonathan’s chief of staff. Personally I think he just put her in the role so they could work closely together. Married twenty-five years and they still have the hots for each other.

But I'm digressing. See, Ollie had taken Lois to the fundraiser and he spotted the necklace and decided to take action. Which got Lois on the scent of a hot story and voila. Green Arrow. Although she called him the Green Arrow bandit, which is not as catchy. And Chloe laughed her head off when she found out. She was 'chalking it up to pro bono'.

Anyway, the story was out and Clark and Chloe began investigating and Clark found out what Ollie was up to. A little bit of intrigue there, but Ollie's a good guy really. And he's interested in helping others like Clark. Well, those with different abilities. And now he and Lex have put aside their own differences to work together on putting together a team of these people.

But back to the baby. Clark and Lex love being uncles. If I thought the doggy talk was bad enough, you should see them talk baby talk. Talk about a big puddle of goo! Both of them! It’s so cute! Really it is!

And oh my god, just the other day I caught Lionel chattering away to Jessie while he, of all things, changed her diaper. He was talking in a soft voice, telling her how she’d pooped her diaper, and how he was going to make it all better and she was gurgling away. Almost as if she was laughing at how silly he was being. I couldn’t get over it.

When he saw he was caught, he smiled sort of sheepishly, then laughed.

“Indulge your old man, huh?” he said. “I used to wonder what it would have been like if Julian had lived. Or if Lillian had had a daughter.”

I swear, the old man’s gone soft!

Comment

Now how on earth did I miss this update? Shame on me. I LOVED it. It was sweet and touching - as well as funny. That part about Lionel at the end? I couldn't help smiling at that part.

Comment

Now how on earth did I miss this update? Shame on me. I LOVED it. It was sweet and touching - as well as funny. That part about Lionel at the end? I couldn't help smiling at that part.
            Hee, I love that part too. Lionel Luthor? Soft? Who'd have thunk?
            Bruce has a lot of making up to do.

Comment

Love this fic. Just discovered it and will be a loyal reader !
              ppms

Comment

Originally posted by FanofTom
                Love this fic. Just discovered it and will be a loyal reader !
                ppms
                Ooh, a new reader. Yay! I'm so glad you've joined us.

Comment

January

Urgh! Jessie has had colic the last few weeks and it is driving all of us insane! She’s crying all hours of the day and night and none of us are getting any sleep. I’ve tried everything – from switching to formula to changing my diet, but nothing’s worked.

Bruce tried to offer what he thought were some helpful suggestions, but considering the fact that he spends maybe one or two days a week with her, and only a few hours at that, his suggestions went down like a ton of lead balloons.

“Bruce,” I said as I held my screaming daughter in my arms, trying to rock her gently, “you are skating on thin ice as it is. Don’t help.”

“Well, I just ...”

“Don’t!”

Bruce had promised that he would spend a weekend in Smallville with us just to spend some quality time with Jessie. Well, he broke that promise within five minutes of arrival by saying that there was a problem in Gotham that he, as in Batman, needed to take care of. Lex just glared at him in disgust and I sighed. If he wanted to prove that he was going to be a good father then he was going the wrong way about it.

Anyway, Clark’s parents were visiting for the weekend and Martha took Jessie off my hands for an hour or two so I could get some sleep. Or so we could all get some sleep, Lex says. He was tempted to go spend a few days at the penthouse with Clark, just so they could both get some rest, but Clark reminded him that that would leave me on my own with a colicky baby and no relief and it wasn’t fair to me.

Clark is good like that.

Anyway, apart from being totally exhausted, life is pretty much settling down to normal. Oh, Clark had an old friend drop by the other day. His name is Bart and he can apparently run faster than Clark. Which is saying something since I’m sure Clark could run around the world in less than a day.
                  Lex remembered him. Bart had, according to Lex, stolen something from him. Although he’d returned it next day.

“Relax Chrome Dome,” Bart said. “It’s all copacetic.”

Lex looked at Clark. “Did he just call me Chrome Dome?”

“It is what it is man,” Bart said, sounding like a flower child of the sixties. Clark just put an arm around his neck and dragged him away before he could insult Lex further, warning him not to say something he might regret.

“Lex is my life partner,” Clark told him. “You better remember that.”

Bart snorted. “Life partner? You’re kidding, right?”

“Do I look like I’m kidding?”

Anyway, Chloe came over and Bart began flirting up a storm with her. Saying things like ‘muy caliente’, which I think means hot or something. I never did get around to learning Spanish. But Chloe’s been dating this photographer from the Daily Planet, named Jimmy. He’s a sweet guy. A little goofy, if you ask me, but he’s nice. He treats her well. He’d better, since I know a certain baby brother who has threatened to ruin his life if he doesn’t. You should have seen Jimmy’s face. Priceless. Mind you, Chloe’s was just as good. She nearly flattened Lex for that.

Well, back to Bart. He’s now working for Oliver. Lex was curious about Bart’s abilities and wondered if Bart would let his scientists do some studies on him. He learned his lesson after that fight with Clark and he now makes sure that any subject of the research is fully informed and they have consent. As for the ones with psychological concerns, well, Lex now has a fully registered psychologist on staff who ensures there are no issues with consent.

Bart ‘politely’ refused. Well, it’s his right, I guess. But wow, I never thought a kid his age would know that kind of language, let alone use it.

Umm, so Bart’s job with Oliver is sort of as a courier for Queen Industries but he also helps Oliver track down more people like them. Oliver and Clark have been discussing what to do with the people they find and they are thinking of putting together some kind of group. Which I think is a great idea. And Lex thinks it’s great too. He, of course, wants to pool their resources together.

Bruce, who was in town at the time, heard about the idea and he immediately refused to have any part of it. He had enough problems to deal with in Gotham and he didn’t need a bunch of amateurs messing things up. Well, that started an argument between Oliver and Bruce, and of course, woke Jessie, who I had just managed to get to sleep. I swear I was so ready to knock their heads together. I know Bruce and Clark have kind of been working together but Oliver is no amateur. Anyway, after that Bruce and Oliver refused to have any more to do with each other and I just resigned myself to the situation.

Something else happened. I met our youngest brother. Lucas. He’s been under Lex’s protection the last few years but he had to come to Smallville. Anyway, Lucas was being an obnoxious little brat and if Lex hadn’t made sure he kept out of trouble, I’m fairly sure Lucas would have been in jail or something. I was feeding Jessie when he came in.

“Whoa. Can’t you do that someplace that’s, uh, not here?”

“Excuse me. This is my home and I will feed my daughter where I choose. And who are you?”

“Lucas.”

He was sort of leering at me in a way I did not appreciate. I grabbed Jessie’s blanket and threw it over my shoulder, as much to protect my daughter as to stop him looking at my breast.

“Lucas? As in baby brother?”

“Whoa, what?”

“Lex didn’t tell you?” I sighed. “Well, I’m not surprised, really. Given your attitude. I’m your sister. Callie.”

Lucas shook his head. “Hell no. I don’t have a sister. Especially one who looks like you.”

Lex came in, trailed by Clark and just caught Lucas’ remark. He cuffed Lucas’ ear.

“That’s enough Lucas. Apologise to Callie.”

“What?”

“You heard me. She is our sister and you don’t talk to her that way. Ever. You got me?”

Lucas looked at Lex, then at Clark, raising an eyebrow. I guess he hadn’t known about Clark either.

“Since when are you a queer?” he sneered.

I looked at Clark, who was looking at Lex with an expression that seemed to be saying ‘can I strangle him? Can I? Can I?’

“You will take that back,” Clark said finally at Lex’s small nod. He stepped forward, standing over Lucas as if to intimidate him.

Lex, meanwhile, had seen that Jessie was done feeding and picked her up to put her against his shoulder. He began rubbing her back.

“Aww, has baby got a full tummy?” Jessie began making small mewling noises, a sure sign that she was satisfied. Lucas watched Lex rock the baby and sneered again. Clark cuffed him on the back of the head.

Lucas rubbed at the spot.

“What was that for?” he scowled.

“It’s called trying to teach you some respect, son,” Lionel said, striding into the room.

“Dad,” Lucas said with a scowl.

Apparently, last time they’d met, Lionel had called him a psychotic little bastard and had tried to shoot him. Lucas looked at Lionel clearly not trusting him.

Anyway, Jessie was watching Lucas with fascination. Lucas is another one of the family who got our father’s looks rather than his mother’s. From what I hear, Rachel Dunleavy had reddish hair, like Lillian.

Lionel turned to Lex.

“What is he doing here?”

“We just had some papers to sort out. I figured it was time Lucas actually became a contributing member of this family, Dad.”

“As opposed to what he’s been doing in the last three years?”

“What’s that supposed to mean, old man?”

“I sent Lucas to a treatment centre, Dad.”

Lucas had been doing drugs, among other things, and Lex had sent him to a treatment facility to get himself cleaned up. The first attempt at rehab had failed, only because Lucas refused to follow the programme. The second time, Lex had warned him there would be no further chances. It was either get clean or no further help from the family. A pretty tough stance, but it worked. Lucas had been clean for two years and had been working part-time in one of Luthorcorp’s subsidiaries in Edge City while attending college. He’d even managed to stay out of trouble, in spite of his cocky attitude. Didn’t mean I liked him though.

“And what do you have in mind, Lex? Running the Smallville plant?”

Lex shook his head.

“No, Dad. I already have an excellent manager there. I was thinking of sending him to work in Gotham. At our branch there.”

Lionel nodded. But I had to speak up.

“Lex, perhaps I have no say in this, but are you sure that’s wise? You know what Gotham’s like.”

“And if Lucas can stay out of trouble there, he may just earn his stripes.”

“Are you suggesting some position of responsibility?”

“No. Lucas has to earn that, like he has to earn everything else.”

“Now, whoa, bro. You got sent to run the crap factory when you were my age.”

“But I already had training in business management, thanks to Dad. You’ve had none of that.”

“Besides,” Clark said. “You’ve yet to prove we can trust you.”

Lucas shot him a look as if he had no right to partake in this conversation. The same glare he’d shot at me. He looked back at Lex with a mutinous expression.

“Lucas, you swaggered in here like you owned the place, disrespected our sister and then proceeded to insult me. You’re lucky I’m even considering letting you go to Gotham at all,” Lex told him.

Anyway, Lucas goes to Gotham in a week. In the meantime, he’s hanging around the house making a mess wherever he goes, leaving the entertainment centre going, playing computer games at all hours and generally just making a nuisance of himself. He’s woken up Jessie that many times, and given how much trouble we’ve had trying to get her to settle, I have come this close to strangling him.

Just last night I had to yell at him because he was playing some violent game on the tv. Lex and Clark were in their bedroom and I so do not need to know what they were doing. Anyway there were so many loud bangs and crashes that of course it upset Jessie, who started crying. I went in and settled her down again then went to Lucas’ room.

I didn’t bother to knock.

“Lucas, are you aware it is eleven o’clock and for the second time tonight you have woken up my daughter?”

“So?”

“I swear to God, Lucas, I am so ready to strangle you.”

“Chill, sis.” He continued playing. The volume was so loud I was surprised the household staff in the gatehouse didn’t hear it.

Ooh, he made me so mad I grabbed the power cord and disconnected the power.

“What the fu*k did you do that for?” he shouted.

“First, do not shout at me. I have asked you repeatedly to keep the noise down. You want to act like a teenager, fine. But you need to learn that when you live in this house there are certain rules and one of them is that when my daughter is sleeping, you keep your noise down.”

“Has anyone ever told you you’re kind of ...”

“Kind of what?”

“A drag?”

“Lucas, I’m warning you.”

“Try it, sis.”

“Lucas Dunleavy, I swear ...”

“You can’t do anything and you know it.”

Why was he acting like such a brat?

“Why are you being such a brat?”

“Well, if you don’t know, I ain’t going to tell you.”

“Lucas, for God’s sake.”

“You don’t get it, do you? I mean, I walk in and find you and you’ve been welcomed with open arms. And what do I get? Sloppy seconds. That’s what!”

“Well, maybe if you hadn’t acted like such a little s*it in the first place, you might have actually earned our respect.”

“That is not what I’m talking about and you know it.”

No, I knew. Lucas was jealous because I had been living here for over eighteen months whereas when Lucas had first appeared on the scene, Lionel had tried to buy him off and then Lex had had him exiled.

I sighed and sat down on the bed opposite him.

“Lucas, I get that you’ve had a difficult life. You weren’t adopted like I was. But then Lionel didn’t know about me, so I guess I was luckier than you.”

Lucas snorted. But he was listening.

“It hasn’t exactly been a picnic for me, either though,” I told him. “Did Lex tell you I almost died because I inherited the old man’s liver disease? If it wasn’t for a transplant, I wouldn’t be here now. And Lex is a different person to the one you first met. Come to that, so is Lionel. They’ve both made some changes in their lives.”

“You mean, like Lex becoming a queer?”

“Don’t use that kind of language. Yes, Lex is in a gay relationship. With Clark. Because they do love each other. And where I was raised, it was not a big deal.”

“So you don’t have a problem with it?”

“Do you?”

Lucas shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess it’s okay. I mean, Lex has chilled out a lot since we first found out about each other.”

“Lucas, I know you think you’ve got it hard but it’s only because you make it hard. You keep telling me to chill, cool down, whatever, but you need to make some concessions too. If you want to be a part of this family, then you need to learn what it takes to be a part of the family. And a good start would be remembering that there is a baby in this house who needs her sleep. And a mother who needs the energy to look after that baby. So please, keep it down. I’m not saying stop playing, just lower the volume. And maybe I won’t yell at you so much.”

Lucas looked as if he was thinking it over. Then he nodded.
                  “All right. I’ll try to keep it down.”

Anyway, today, Lucas and I had a long talk and he really is going to try to change his attitude. And I have also promised to give him a chance too.

And as bad as things are between Bruce and I at the moment, I have at least got a promise from him that he will keep an eye on baby brother while he’s in Gotham.

Comment

You make it so darn hard to pick something to quote, Leanne. But that's what I love about your stories. As usual, I loved it. Especially the talk that Callie and Lucas had. You actually have me believing that he could possibly change. You wrote that really well. I'm already looking forward to the next update.

PS: I love it when there's a new reader too. It makes you feel good - doesn't it? I know it does for me. In fact, I just had another one for CYRMM. Would you believe they've read all 95 chapters???

Comment

You make it so darn hard to pick something to quote, Leanne. But that's what I love about your stories. As usual, I loved it. Especially the talk that Callie and Lucas had. You actually have me believing that he could possibly change. You wrote that really well. I'm already looking forward to the next update.
                      I always felt Lucas got a bum rap on the series. There was the episode he appeared in in Season Two, and the episode before where he was first mentioned, but that was it. He has never been heard of again. I thought it was something I should deal with here.

I know it does for me. In fact, I just had another one for CYRMM. Would you believe they've read all 95 chapters???
                      I'm not surprised they read all the chapters. I was hooked from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixnz
                        I always felt Lucas got a bum rap on the series. There was the episode he appeared in in Season Two, and the episode before where he was first mentioned, but that was it. He has never been heard of again. I thought it was something I should deal with here.

I'm not surprised they read all the chapters. I was hooked from the start.
                        That's sweet of you to say. Thanks, my friend.

Comment

Nice chapter. I also loved the Callie/Lucas chat.
                          I'm a real fan of Smallville and a Cloiser but I love the Clark/Lex in your story. I really got into it and I find myself rooting for their relationship.

Thx and keep the chapters coming please.

Comment

Originally posted by FanofTom
                            Nice chapter. I also loved the Callie/Lucas chat.
                            I'm a real fan of Smallville and a Cloiser but I love the Clark/Lex in your story. I really got into it and I find myself rooting for their relationship.

Thx and keep the chapters coming please.
                            I'm a Cloiser myself. I guess I'm just a sucker for a good old-fashioned romance. But I do like to experiment with other ships and I've written a few Clexers, but this one is fairly close to being my favourite. Thanks again for reading and commenting.

Comment

This may come as a shock, but this is the last chapter. I decided to end it here as I feel the story has run its course. Anyway, I hope you like how it concludes.

January 30

Chloe was having some issues with a co-worker. Linda Lake. Beeyatch extraordinaire. Well, she is! Was! Anyway, let me tell you what happened.

It seems that this Linda, who is a columnist at the Planet, treats everyone like her own personal servant. She marched into the bullpen and told Chloe to copy some documents. Well, Chloe told her where to go, which Linda did not like.

Anyway, there was this article about Mike Dawson, a baseball player with the Metropolis Meteors. Don’t ask me about that. I know nothing about baseball. Apparently Linda (actually I think I’ll just call her Lake – she’s the type of person who doesn’t deserve to be called by her first name) wrote an article exposing Mike as a user of performance-enhancing drugs. Now, I’m against drugs of any kind, and the family know this, so I didn’t think there was anything wrong with exposing it, especially as it appeared it was being swept under the rug by the team’s administrators. Well, the day the article appeared, it seems that Mike committed suicide by drowning. At least, that’s what the police and the coroner’s office suggested. But Chloe didn’t think so. Especially after Jimmy convinced her that a baseball player wouldn’t drown themselves in two feet of water.

So, Chloe came over to the mansion and spoke to Clark and Lex.

“What do you think? Do you think Jimmy’s right?”

“Well, far be it from me to criticise an athlete’s choices, Chloe. I certainly don’t want to appear hypocritical.”

“Yeah, but you don’t do that stuff anymore,” Clark reminded Lex. He was rubbing Jessie’s back, trying to get her to burp. She was looking so content on his shoulder, it looked like she wasn’t going to co-operate any time soon.

Clark is so good with her.

Anyway, Chloe was still trying to get them interested.

“Come on guys, don’t you think if you were going to kill yourself you’d do it in a less public place where there is no chance of anyone finding you?”

“She has a point guys,” I told them.

“Well, what do you want us to do?” Lex said.

“I’m thinking we should check Linda Lake out.”

“Check her out or try a little entrapment?” Clark said.

He’s getting smarter every day.

So, anyway, they came up with a plan where Lex would hire Lake to spy on some of his employees, pretending that there were some sensitive documents that he thinks the employees might be trying to sell to the highest bidder.

Chloe and Clark, meanwhile, began digging up some of Lake’s old stuff. They found out that she had been in Smallville during the second meteor shower, and before that had happened, she had been a second-rate journalist. So they figured something must have happened to her in the meteor shower, since more of the Kryptonite fell.

Anyway, to make matters worse, Clark heard that Lois was investigating Green Arrow, and that she had the theory that Green Arrow was Oliver! Apparently, she’d been getting Jimmy to try and get some photos of Green Arrow and she’d seen a cut on the arm of the Emerald Archer. Then when Oliver was teaching her yoga, which I think was just an excuse for them to make out, she saw a similar cut. He told her it was a fencing accident, but she didn’t believe him.

So, anyhoo, when she told Clark her theory, Clark sort of panicked and decided to take matters into his own hands. So he kind of broke in to Chloe and Lois’ apartment and tried to steal the photos Lois had. Well, Chloe caught him at it and confronted him about it. She said something about how he was always keeping secrets and okay, so she knew his biggest secret, apart from his relationship with Lex, which isn’t exactly something they broadcast to the world, but why did he feel like he had to invade Lois’ personal space just to protect Green Arrow?

Well, Chloe snuck into Lake’s office to see if she could get more dirt on the woman and found an article on Lake’s computer. One that would not only out Clark and Lex’s relationship to the populace of Metropolis, but also that Clark was an alien. Fortunately, she’d set up a webcam, which was connected to Lex’s computer at the mansion and Clark and Lex were watching it.

Chloe ended up having this big confrontation with Lake. They had a huge fight and it got physical. But the best part is, Chloe not only kicked her ass, but Lex and Clark got enough on Lake to make sure she never worked in this town again. Well, so to speak. And Lex didn’t even have to make any threats.

Lex and Clark made her a deal. She could keep what she knew to herself and they wouldn’t expose her own secret to everyone. It turns out that she had got some sort of hydro-power after she’d fallen into Crater Lake. She could turn into water. Weird!

As for Oliver’s secret, well, it’s safe from Lois for the time being. Clark and Oliver cooked up a plan together to foil Lois’ plan. She had set things up to make it look like she was being mugged by some thugs and that Green Arrow would have to rescue her. Instead, Clark dressed up as Green Arrow. Well, the gist of it is, she kissed him. Clark wasn’t exactly happy about that, and neither was Lex. He almost blew his top.

“She kissed you? She kissed you?”

“Uh, well, Lex ...”

Anyway I stepped in and calmed him down before things got too bad and he woke the baby, as he is somewhat known to raise his voice on occasion.

So, as I said, Ollie’s secret is safe. For now. But I have a feeling Lois isn’t going to let the matter drop.

As for what has been happening in my life, well, I had to go to Gotham. In one part, so Bruce could spend some time with the baby, as apparently he is ‘too busy’ to come to Smallville, and with the Joker and the Riddler on the loose (and where do these people come up with these names?) he didn’t want to leave Gotham to their mercy. The second part was I wanted to see Lucas. He’s having a little trouble settling in to the job and I really wanted to help him out on that score.

Anyway, so I drove to Gotham with the baby, and let me tell you it is a looong drive with a baby in the back. I mean she slept a lot, which was good, but after a couple of hours she woke up and got really cranky. Takes after her mother and her uncle, I guess.

So I got to Gotham and left Jessie in Bruce’s hands for a couple of hours while I went to see Lucas. Lucas was kind of disappointed that I hadn’t brought Jessie with me. He’s kind of taken to the baby, which is nice, actually. Anyway, he came back with me to the manor and we arrived in time to hear the baby screaming her head off.

I got to Bruce’s study to find that he’d put her on the sofa, surrounded her with pillows and left the room for about two minutes. She was apparently sound asleep when he left, but woke up while he was gone and poor baby must have got scared. Are babies that aware of their surroundings at that age? I have no idea. Anyway, she’d been screaming ever since.

“I leave you with her for two hours and you upset her. What the hell did you do?”

“I left the room for two minutes, okay? She was fine. She was asleep on the sofa.”

I was cradling my daughter, trying to calm her down but she was still screaming. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with her.

“Let me try,” Lucas said.

I let him take the baby and he began rocking her and making crooning noises. I stared in surprise at my youngest brother. He just looked back at me with a small smile.

Bruce and I kept arguing back and forth about his thoughtlessness and how he was sure going the wrong way about proving that he was going to be a good father and neither of us realised that Lucas was trying to get our attention.

“Hey, guys, I think there’s something really wrong with her.”

Startled, I looked at Lucas, then at my baby daughter. He was right. There was something seriously wrong with her. I felt her forehead. She was burning up!

Well, we immediately took her to Gotham General where the doctors took one look at her and rushed her in to the emergency room. I could hear her screaming down the hall. The nurses wouldn’t let me go in with my daughter. So I had to sit in agony in the waiting room.

Lucas came in.

“I called Lex and Clark. They’re on their way.”

“I’m a bad mother,” I moaned. “How could I not notice she was sick.”

“You’re not a bad mother,” Lucas comforted me. “I see the way you are with her. You weren’t to know she was sick. It’s not something that was easy to spot.”

“Then how did you know?”

Lucas just shrugged. “When I was about six I was living with these foster parents. They had a baby staying with them for a while. It got sick a lot. I got curious about it and I asked all sorts of questions.”

Poor Lucas. He’s had it rough. I really feel bad now that he’s been treated so badly by Lex, Lionel and me. And yes, I do include myself in that. Maybe if we hadn’t been so wrapped up in our own little worlds, we might have had a chance to give him a real family.

And I told him so.

“Hey, if there’s one thing you’ve taught me, sis, it’s never too late to change.”

I let him take my hand. It just seemed so comforting. Bruce was standing by the window, looking out at the grounds. Was he remembering when I had the transplant. He had such a pained look on his face, I did wonder.

The doctor came in and looked at both of us.

“Are you the parents?” Bruce and I both nodded. “Well, she’s got a virus. It’s nothing to worry about but we do want to keep her overnight for observation.”

“What sort of virus?” I asked.

“It isn’t meningitis, if that’s what you’re thinking. She’ll be fine. She has a little fever and probably a sore tummy, but it’s nothing too concerning.”

The relief on Bruce’s face was palpable.

They let us go with her up to the babies ward and get her settled. The doctors wanted me to leave her on her own but I was reluctant. Lucas convinced me that we’d both get some rest and she was in safe hands.

Lex and Clark had arrived by that time and they were just as relieved as I was that it was nothing too serious. Although I did have to wonder why they were keeping her overnight in that case. But I supposed it was because of the fever.

Anyway, Lucas, Lex and Clark all came to the manor. Once we had had dinner, we were relaxing in the den. Lucas got up, looking a little uncomfortable.

“Um, look, maybe it’s not my place to say anything ...”

“You’re right, it’s not,” Bruce growled. I glared at him and told him to shut up.

“Lucas is family and he has a right to say what’s on his mind. Agreed?” I said, looking at Lex and Clark.

“Absolutely,” Clark agreed, although Lex didn’t look so sure.

“Look,” Lucas said, with a little smile at me in gratitude for my support. “I really think this is a bit of a wake-up call for you guys. I mean, I know Jessie’s going to be okay and everything, but you two really need to get yourselves sorted. This fighting all the time that you do, and don’t think I haven’t noticed that you fight a lot, well, it can’t be good for her. For the baby.”

I stared at him, surprised. I had only known Lucas a few weeks, and I had no idea he could be so perceptive.

“I mean, you really do need to do something. This going back and forth between Smallville and Gotham ... it’s not solving anything.”

“I’m not the one who decided to turn his back on it all,” I pointed out.

“No, sis, I know.”

We’d told Lucas the whole story about what had happened during my pregnancy.

“But the thing is, you act like you hate each other and that’s not true at all. And anyway, Jessie needs a stable home. I know she’s got us, and that and it’s cool that Lex and Clark are always there for her, but it’s not good for her to have a part-time Dad. I mean, if anyone knows what that’s like, it’s me. I hated having different homes every few months.”

“So what are you saying, that Bruce should stop coming to Smallville?”

Clearly, Bruce did not like that idea.

“You can’t stop me seeing my daughter.”

“I think what Lucas is suggesting is that you guys move in together. Even if you’re not a couple anymore, you should at least be able to raise her together.”

I stared at Clark. Another one who was surprising me.

“I won’t move to Smallville,” Bruce growled.,

Which meant I move to Gotham. And as much as I hated the idea of leaving Lex and Clark behind, I knew it would be for the best.

Six weeks later

Well, I’m all moved in to the manor. I have my own room. And Bruce has set up a nursery. Well, I suspect Alfred has done most of the work. But Jessie has settled in.

Lucas has become a frequent visitor. I like having him around. Not only because he makes a great babysitter for the niece he has come to adore, but also because he is family, and he really has changed. Love can do that to a person. Lucas and I have learned to love each other.

Lex and Clark were reluctant for me to go, but they knew I had to. Lucas was right. Jessie needed the stability of two parents, if not together, at least as a couple, then together in the same house. She is thriving on the environment.

Lex and Clark visit when they can, but they are busy in Smallville, and in Metropolis. Lex is building his own little empire and Clark is working on some ideas about how to help people without giving away his identity.

Lois and Ollie broke up. Sort of. She still has feelings for him and I have hope that those two crazy kids can make it work somehow.

One month later

I am so going to kill Lucas. He is a dirty little schemer and I am soo going to get him back for this. Okay, so you want to know what he did? Well, he sort of got Bruce and I back together. By arranging a date that neither of us knew about. We both got home to find a candlelit dinner waiting for us and Alfred not saying a word. Lucas had left a note saying he was babysitting Jessie and we were to sit and talk and actually have a civil conversation rather than be two ships that pass in the night.

Anyway, long story short, Bruce told me he still loves me and he proposed. I almost dropped dead on the spot. Okay, not really. But yes, we’re engaged.

And oh, you will never believe this, but so are Clark and Lex! Well, as engaged as they can be in a backwards state like Kansas. They decided they’re going to have a ceremony in Hawaii, which actually does recognise same sex marriage.

Life is good!

Anyway, I have to go strangle my scheming baby brother. Or else hug him really, really hard.

Who’d have thunk that when I first came here nearly three years ago that my life would turn out like this? I sure didn’t.

THE END

Comment

I really enjoyed it - but I'm sorry it's the last chapter. I wish I had known it was coming though. *sigh* I'm going to miss this story.

I like how Lucas is a dirty schemer - but this time in a good way. And it's about time that Bruce manned up and admitted to his feelings.

As for Lex and Clark...well...I just love a happy ending. I'm a sucker for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎