No announcement yet.

To tell or not to tell...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To tell or not to tell...

I've been wondering, if Chloe had not called the phone booth and faked being the Blur, do you think that after Lois' empassioned, "Even after all this you still can't trust me?" statement, would Clark have changed his mind and told Lois his secret?

Let's face it, he knows that she's willing to sacrifice her life so that his secret is safe and after she went public in her defence of him and his need to be free of bureaucratic hindrance there's really not much he needs to worry about in telling her.

Nah, he would have said "I'm sorry"...

And then if he was in the mood to talk to Chloe he would go to her and ask what she thinks he should do.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, Lois by the end of that episode officially passed the standardized test in Superman mythos for her to begin sharing Clark's secret: She has demonstrated solid, irrefutable proof that she loves Clark for Clark, either way, regardless of what else he is or isn't doing or being, and can be trusted with his heart as well as his secret (how many people ever get a gift like that just handed to them up front in real life?) This should be the point, cape or no cape, when Lois either gets told or figures it out. Actually, she already did, and should not fall for Clark and Chloe's silly alibi games, though having her believe and be talked out of it after falling from the Planet building was a nice little Richard Donner homage.

But nah, Clark is still not quite emotionally ready to man up on the sharing thing. We could blame it on writers' fear of jumping sharks, but what it really comes down to is that Clark still lacks confidence in his ability to have a partner and not be some sort of jinx to her safety. That fear got validated more than once with Lana and others, and there was also that big cautionary lesson he got from Vandal, er, I mean Conner MacL, uh I mean "Dr. Knox." Who wants to live forever, indeed?

Gonna take something really big (as in a 70's-style Lois-personally-gets-to-kick-some-major-tail type of story) to help get Clark deprogrammed of that.
      Last edited by Last Son of Vern; 11-19-2009, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Son of Vern
        As far as I'm concerned, Lois by the end of that episode officially passed the standardized test in Superman mythos for her to begin sharing Clark's secret: She has demonstrated solid, irrefutable proof that she loves Clark for Clark, either way, regardless of what else he is or isn't doing or being, and can be trusted with his heart as well as his secret (how many people ever get a gift like that just handed to them up front in real life?) This should be the point, cape or no cape, when Lois either gets told or figures it out. Actually, she already did, and should not fall for Clark and Chloe's silly alibi games, though having her believe and be talked out of it after falling from the Planet building was a nice little Richard Donner homage.

But nah, Clark is still not quite emotionally ready to man up on the sharing thing. We could blame it on writers' fear of jumping sharks, but what it really comes down to is that Clark still lacks confidence in his ability to have a partner and not be some sort of jinx to her safety. That fear got validated more than once with Lana and others, and there was also that big cautionary lesson he got from Vandal, er, I mean Conner MacL, uh I mean "Dr. Knox." Who wants to live forever, indeed?

Gonna take something really big (as in a 70's-style Lois-personally-gets-to-kick-some-major-tail type of story) to help get Clark deprogrammed of that.
        I completely agree that in the past what you said here is true but with Lois publicly stating that she knew who the Blur was, is there any difference? If someone is going to threaten her it's going to happen now anyways because everyone believes she knows his identity. So what more could Clark risk? Other than your point about him lacking confidence I can't see why he wouldn't trust her with the truth.

Comment

It's not her he doesn't trust. It's that every one who's known the secret has either ended up dead, hurt, or put in harm's way on more than one occasion. Chloe was taken over by Brainiac, Jimmy's dead, his father's dead, Lionel's dead, Lex is "dead", Lana is in that kryptonite suit, Pete and his mom left, Alicia's dead. Lois was shoved off a roof for saying she knew. J'onn lost his powers. There's a real strong reason why he'd think it's not safe for her to know. I can't fault him for being gun shy on it. He knows she can handle the secret, but he's still worried about her.
          Last edited by mark08201981; 11-20-2009, 07:54 AM.

Comment

It's not the first time he's considered telling her the truth. Remember in Metallo, when she asked him to show her his face? He made a step forward but then stopped and disappeared. Now here when he hugged her after the fall he was clearly thinking about it. But yet again he decided not to. But I think every time he considers it he is getting closer to the moment when he will finally decide that it's only the right thing to do.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎