Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Peter cure Emma's deaf problem?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't Peter cure Emma's deaf problem?

At first I was thinking that maybe he could not cure it since its something that her body doesn't know (always had that problem) but then i remember that power is able to cure cancer (was gonna be used on Hero) therefore it doesn't really work as a cellular regeneration, but more of setting the body into prime state. Well, maybe i'm wrong and he couldn't do it, but why not even try?! For like half the episode i was yelling at Peter to do it... what do you guys think?

As a person deaf in one ear, I can say that if I suddenly was able to hear out of that ear, I'd probably go crazy and it would throw off my equalibrium. The entire way I communicate and position myself in a room depends on working around the disability. It's not exactly the same, but it would mess up her entire world in my opinion. Assuming she has been deaf her whole life, I wouldn't recommend Peter 'helping' her in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Braxis
      As a person deaf in one ear, I can say that if I suddenly was able to hear out of that ear, I'd probably go crazy and it would throw off my equalibrium. The entire way I communicate and position myself in a room depends on working around the disability. It's not exactly the same, but it would mess up her entire world in my opinion. Assuming she has been deaf her whole life, I wouldn't recommend Peter 'helping' her in this case.

yea, but i think he should of at least asked. I mean she was going on and on about the drowning nephew, the least he could of done is say "hey, speaking of which, you've heard how i can now heal people? NO?! oh yea you are deaf, want help with that?" XD

Comment

I've heard of blind peeps getting an operation that suddenly cures their sight and they go insane with the sudden overload and not being able to process it since they aren't used to it. I'm sure being deaf is the same way.

Comment

Except, don't we know that Emma lost her hearing in an accident a few years ago? She should be able to adjust pretty quickly.

Edit: That whole insanity thing makes sense, but it isn't always the case, though there was an instance of a blind man who regained his sight finding out that his wife was a lot uglier than he'd anticipated.

Comment

Where/When did it say she JUST lost her hearing?
            She is a liar for telling Peter she was IN school and not truely a full fledged Doctor? I mean she is/was a full fledge doctor right?
            It bothers me how she can understand SOOOO much by just reading lips...half the time they don't even look at her and understading HIRO was just impossible...they should have had to communicate thru writing.
            If she isn't the reason that Peter gets his ENTIRE EMAPTHY power back i'm gonna be p'd off! She serves NO purpose on the show whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
              Except, don't we know that Emma lost her hearing in an accident a few years ago? She should be able to adjust pretty quickly.

Edit: That whole insanity thing makes sense, but it isn't always the case, though there was an instance of a blind man who regained his sight finding out that his wife was a lot uglier than he'd anticipated.
              I don't think they've said when she lost her hearing. Judging by the way she talks one can assume that she has been deaf her whole life. If she had been able to hear during her life, she would have known the proper way to speak compared to other peoples voices.

Comment

Another not-show-related reason would be that the actress that plays the girl is really deaf.

Comment

Originally posted by lAfrik
                  Another not-show-related reason would be that the actress that plays the girl is really deaf.

yea i think you are right, i searched for the actress (Deanne Bray) and it seems like she is really deaf, so no way they are curing her on heroes... should of thought it through before getting Peter the curing power and putting her with him...

Comment

'Tis true, but that's still no reason she shouldn't be able to "hear" on Herpes again. I mean people w/o disabilities play disabled all the time, I mean it's acting, it's all scripted anyway so I personally doubt the actor has anything to do with it.

And I was probably wrong earlier about the whole recently deaf thing, so if her hearing DOES return then it'd be pretty unfair to expect her to change her dialect anyway.

Comment

*lol at your typo (herpes - heroes)*

But anyway, just by casting her it was a done deal, i mean even if they wanted, it would be kind of hard for her to act as she isn't deaf even if she's a good actress.

Comment

Originally posted by lAfrik
                        *lol at your typo (herpes - heroes)*

But anyway, just by casting her it was a done deal, i mean even if they wanted, it would be kind of hard for her to act as she isn't deaf even if she's a good actress.

hahahahaha thank you so much i so didn't get that herpes was a typo i was like "hear on herpes"?! apparently an STD is now actually the cure to deafness pass it around, say no to condoms =P

Comment

Well the only moments to where he could have offered so far in the show is during all the chaos with the people injured and dying all around them in the hospital... and then after that, when she was talking about her nephew's accident if I recall correctly.

Obviously with people dying and all that crap, it's a little more pressing to heal them and didn't even enter his mind most likely.

And for the other instance, Peter would have been a real d!ck had he mentioned it then, insensitive as all get out.

Comment

Originally posted by mistaj1987
                            Well the only moments to where he could have offered so far in the show is during all the chaos with the people injured and dying all around them in the hospital... and then after that, when she was talking about her nephew's accident if I recall correctly.

Obviously with people dying and all that crap, it's a little more pressing to heal them and didn't even enter his mind most likely.

And for the other instance, Peter would have been a real d!ck had he mentioned it then, insensitive as all get out.

hey, if you have a huge problem like deafness (which is incurable) there is no way you would look like a d!ck for mentioning that you can cure it, and offering to do so... trust me...

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian-Gray
                              hey, if you have a huge problem like deafness (which is incurable) there is no way you would look like a d!ck for mentioning that you can cure it, and offering to do so... trust me...
                              If it was me, at that particular moment, it would be... but eh, could see why it would't be, just for me it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎