No announcement yet.

Orb Inconsistency & Major Retcon about the Stones & Davis

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orb Inconsistency & Major Retcon about the Stones & Davis

It's clear after this that they totally retconned the orb and have no intentions of linking it with its Season 7 origin and purpose.

There's no way Jor-El could have created the orb if we go by the season 7 origin that it was created centuries before and was around the time of Gertrude & Isobel and hidden in the Luthor fireplace back when it was constructed.

Also, this experiment has nothing to do with controlling the Traveler.

This episode has been pretty good, but I had hoped that the orb created portals that were linked by blood to the actual respective Kandorians & not just clones. Instead the orb was turned into pretty much the same thing as Zor-El's blue crystal.

I hoped the orb would have been explained so that it would satisfy both its season 7 & season 8 purposes:

Post your wildest theories, speculation, musings about what's going to happen on the show. ALL threads containing spoilers must be marked with the word SPOILER in the subject line.

What's even worse is the huge retcon about the stones. The stones are already supposed to have been hidden in their respective relics & buried on Earth for hundreds of years. They were already buried back in the 1600's when Isobel & Gertrude were looking for them. The temple in China was extremely old and was built to show the way to the stones. I think it's ridiculous that they showed Jor-El creating them when it should have been Kem-El.

Also Zod & Faora weren't able to have children according to Bloodline. Now we find out there was a previous Davis and the Season 8 Davis was nothing more than a clone. It kills the entire atmosphere that existed in Bloodline that was used to explain his creation.

Originally posted by xrayvision
    What's even worse is the huge retcon about the stones. The stones are already supposed to have been hidden in their respective relics & buried on Earth for hundreds of years. They were already buried back in the 1600's when Isobel & Gertrude were looking for them. The temple in China was extremely old and was built to show the way to the stones. I think it's ridiculous that they showed Jor-El creating them when it should have been Kem-El.

Also Zod & Faora weren't able to have children according to Bloodline. Now we find out there was a previous Davis and the Season 8 Davis was nothing more than a clone. It kills the entire atmosphere that existed in Bloodline that was used to explain his creation.
    The part with the stones having supposed to be dated back to the 17th century is probably the worst for me. For a millisecond I convinced myself that their time is different but then I reminded myself about Jor-El's venture to Smallville so he would have to go back in time.

Then again, season 4 was a bust so I'm somewhat all right with completely disregarding that continuity. This one makes more sense. Same with season 7 and controlling the Traveler.

The part with Zod having a son is just to bring sympathy to his character and more drama to Smallville. The thought of him having a son just leaves an icky taste in my mouth.

Comment

I enjoyed this episode, I thought contained within this season it was a good episode. But, yea, I didn't like all those retcons. I had a suspicion that there would be a fair amount of retconning with reusing villains/artifacts that have plenty of history on the show.

What I don't get, is that they payed enough attention to continuity to reference Jor-El's visit in "Relic", but then they sort of mucked up a bunch of major things in Smallville continuity.

Comment

I know they screwed up the continuity with the stones and the orb. But Davis was not a clone. It sounds like Zod must have had a son with someone before Faora. Kandor had to of been rebuilt at some point. I'm guessing Faora was barren and that's why Zod and Faora couldn't have children.

Comment

Well in the Superman movie when Clark first meets Jor-El, he said he's been dead "for many thousands of your years" so they could go that route by explaining why the stones and stuff were on earth in the 17th century..

Comment

It's clear after this that they totally retconned the orb and have no intentions of linking it with its Season 7 origin and purpose.

There's no way Jor-El could have created the orb if we go by the season 7 origin that it was created centuries before and was around the time of Gertrude & Isobel and hidden in the Luthor fireplace back when it was constructed.

Also, this experiment has nothing to do with controlling the Traveler.

This episode has been pretty good, but I had hoped that the orb created portals that were linked by blood to the actual respective Kandorians & not just clones. Instead the orb was turned into pretty much the same thing as Zor-El's blue crystal.

I hoped the orb would have been explained so that it would satisfy both its season 7 & season 8 purposes:

Post your wildest theories, speculation, musings about what's going to happen on the show. ALL threads containing spoilers must be marked with the word SPOILER in the subject line.

ITA it really annoyed me. But Faora was probably the one who couldn't bare children, and she most likely wasn't Zod's his only woman, or after the death of their first child Faora became unable to have anymore children due to complications. They can work around that one. Other then that the episode had too many retcons, sloppy ones.

Comment

yea the whole orb/crystals have been changed a couple of times so it wasnt a big deal that it was changed again. Though the story this time was pretty good. Though for all we know the crystals were probably sent to a portal to earth and maybe it could have caused them to be sent into different times.

Comment

Originally posted by Vergon6
                I know they screwed up the continuity with the stones and the orb. But Davis was not a clone. It sounds like Zod must have had a son with someone before Faora. Kandor had to of been rebuilt at some point. I'm guessing Faora was barren and that's why Zod and Faora couldn't have children.
                When Zod have that hair to Jor-El, did they imply that Zod had an original wife who perished along with his son? If so, then that leaves it more open-ended and doesn't make it a plothole, but something that has yet to be explained.

Comment

^^^^

True

Comment

When Zod have that hair to Jor-El, did they imply that Zod had an original wife who perished along with his son? If so, then that leaves it more open-ended and doesn't make it a plothole, but something that has yet to be explained.
                    Yeah it sounded like his wife had perished with his son.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogito17
                      I enjoyed this episode, I thought contained within this season it was a good episode. But, yea, I didn't like all those retcons. I had a suspicion that there would be a fair amount of retconning with reusing villains/artifacts that have plenty of history on the show.

What I don't get, is that they payed enough attention to continuity to reference Jor-El's visit in "Relic", but then they sort of mucked up a bunch of major things in Smallville continuity.
                      I agree with this. Within the confines of season 9, the episode was outstanding. But when you look at the story over the series, it is warped to the point that it makes no sense.

Comment

Possibly Clark was en route for quite a few years?

Comment

yea he probably had a first wife and that is how he had a son, then met faoroa and created doomsday.

Comment

Originally posted by Vergon6
                            Yeah it sounded like his wife had perished with his son.
                            Or as Dominicus said, something could have happened that made either Zod or Faora sterile. I'm sure that was the case with some if not most Hiroshima survivors.

Comment

Originally posted by superspider02
                              yea the whole orb/crystals have been changed a couple of times so it wasnt a big deal that it was changed again. Though the story this time was pretty good. Though for all we know the crystals were probably sent to a portal to earth and maybe it could have caused them to be sent into different times.
                              Unfortunately I don't think they will ever explain that. But they could use some technobabble to explain it way like you are saying. Something like the portholes were malfunctioning and were sent to Earth at different points in the space-time c o n t i n u u m (why is that word still banned, it's a normal word, not slang or a swear lol).

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎