No announcement yet.

What was Clark's error

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smallvillefreak24
    He was able to read minds cuz he made a mistake. What mistake did he make? Was he not supposed to stop the explosion?
    His mistake was thinking the guy who had the bomb strapped to him was the bomber when the Toyman was. It was pretty obvious.

Comment

Jor-el warned him about human assumptions so I assume (no pun intended) that the mistake he made was to assume that the victim was a suicide bomber and that the bomb was on a detonator not a timer, instead of assuming nothing and gathering the necessary information, or at least grabbing the bomb and superspeeding somewhere remote and let the police deal with the supposed suicide bomber and hostages.

Comment

Originally posted by madcatlady
        Maybe it was him whacking the guy across the room right before the explosion?
        That was his mistake. He had the ability to take care of the situation without assuming the guy with the mask was the mastermind behind it all.

Comment

Originally posted by stenochick
          Jor-el warned him about human assumptions so I assume (no pun intended) that the mistake he made was to assume that the victim was a suicide bomber and that the bomb was on a detonator not a timer, instead of assuming nothing and gathering the necessary information, or at least grabbing the bomb and superspeeding somewhere remote and let the police deal with the supposed suicide bomber and hostages.
          Yup. Jor-El told him that during Clark's training that he started between Doomsday & Savior (if you read between the lines this is exactly what he's saying) he did something to Clark that would activate the ability when he made an error in judgement.

I think instead of giving him a temporary ability, Jor-El should have done what he did to Clark, but instead of giving him an ability, he should have told Clark he made an error in judgement, but not what the error was, and that he needed to enhance his perceptions to correct it and how doing so will help him be a better protector. It would have been cool seeing Clark figure everything out on his own, which I think would have been completely believable given his past experiences.

Comment

This episode was a case of good premise but bad execution. We should have had one episode with the mind reading and focusing on the Blur without the Toyman plot.

Comment

I just don't think the mind reading was needed. It was a plot device. They could have done things a little different & shown us what those people in the hospital & Lois were thinking without having Clark being able to read their thoughts and then show how his perception of them improves over the course of the episode as he goes from being his usual self to using enhanced perception.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
                I just don't think the mind reading was needed. It was a plot device. They could have done things a little different & shown us what those people in the hospital & Lois were thinking without having Clark being able to read their thoughts and then show how his perception of them improves over the course of the episode as he goes from being his usual self to using enhanced perception.
                Yes, and I agree. I still don't understand why they did what they did. There were so many ways for Clark to learn his lesson without the mind reading.
                Last edited by LadyH; 10-23-2009, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
                  He didn't realise that the guy who appeared to be the villain was actually a victim being set up, and if he'd used his abilities to the fullest (x-ray vision, hearing etc) then he would have.
                  Exactly. I've actually just rewatched the scene on youtube. And fact of the matter his, when Clark throws him away, the mask falls off and you can see, that the guy is gagged. Something Clark would have noticed, if he'd just x-rayed him, but he didn't. He just assumed that the guy, wearing the mask was the bomber and told him not to bother, pulling the trigger and hit him. Come to think of it, there have been a lot of past episodes, where Clark's gotten himself into trouble, simply because he didn't stop and think (read; used his x-ray vision and super hearing to investigate) for a moment, before running into situation (a perfect example would be "Justice", where Clark just walked into a room that was lined with lead, that turned out to store Kryptonite. Not sure, if he'd tried to x-ray it first, but seeing as how he was looking for Bart, he should have just used his super hearing, to check for the sound of Bart's heartbeat and when he didn't hear anything from inside the room, simply moved along). I'm actually remembering an old pre-crisis Superman story (forgot what issue it was), where Superman had a run-in with three SKULL operatives. Superman flew down from the sky and crushed their ship, while telling them that he knows, that there's nobody inside of it. One of the SKULL operatives then reacts to that statement, by pointing out that the ship was lined with lead, preventing Superman from using his x-ray vision on it. The reason to why, Superman knew the ship was empty, was because, he had simply used him super hearing and didn't hear any heartbeats coming from inside of the ship.

This Clark Kent has, however, not yet learned this important lesson, of always using his x-ray vision and super hearing (and telescopic vision and microscopic vison) to look into situation, before just running into them.

Comment

i think his main error was that the explosion hurt two cops...and for pimp slapping the poor hostage.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎