Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too violent; my 7 year old will have to do without Smallville

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a mother and child therapist, I personally would not let children watch Smallville or any other show with that much sex and violence. It really messes with them and robs them of their innocence. Back in the day, kids would watch Batman and instead of showing graphic violence, the words, "Kapow!" or "Bam" or whatever would show up on the screen. Nowadays, kids take in way too much. I'm surprised they don't all have PTSD having witnessed so many murders in their living rooms throughout their young lives.

Comment

I agree Smallville has changed a lot especially seasons 8 and 9. There is a tad too much blood and gore, but at the same time I think it won't "scar" a seven year old's mind. But then again America as a whole has gone too soft, and sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by stenochick
        As a mother and child therapist, I personally would not let children watch Smallville or any other show with that much sex and violence. It really messes with them and robs them of their innocence. Back in the day, kids would watch Batman and instead of showing graphic violence, the words, "Kapow!" or "Bam" or whatever would show up on the screen. Nowadays, kids take in way too much. I'm surprised they don't all have PTSD having witnessed so many murders in their living rooms throughout their young lives.
        Excuse me?
        I'm not disrespecting your work, but your saying it as if children are so mentally vulnerable that they would get PTSD for watching a few people getting murdered on TV?

Comment

Originally posted by galatians221
          It's a shame but with all of the needless gore and excessive violence the past three weeks and last season as well I guess I'm going to have to stop passing down my life long passion for Superman to my 7 year old daughter. There is virtually nothing other than the Clark/Lois scenes that I can really show her. Our whole society is becoming obsessed with darkness and evil and violence. I don't expect Leave it to Beaver and I understand that without bad guys there is no need for good guys but there's more and more bad and less and less good. The gore last year from multiple episodes of Doomsday murders and the murder of Jimmy and Davis and the accompanying gore and now we get Metallo full of blood and laying in deep pools of blood and showing as much gore and evil as can be shown. Tonight we get a woman in her skimpy panties, and a pathetic story line of evil gone wild and cured by spraying blood out of a plane and Zod decapitating one of his minion. It's becoming over the top. I do have a DVR and just re-watched it and it took about ten to fifteen minutes to watch the few scenes that are worth watching. I love what they are doing with Clark and Lois but the obsession with gore and violence is unnecessary imho.
          I totally agree. A show that comes on at 8pm and is rated PG13! should NEVER show violence. Young kids usually stay up past 8 pm anyways. This is awful! I'm sick of it! I would rather the show portray Clark holding teddy bears and there be a rainbow over Metropolis and then in the back ground they sing kumbaya,

Comment

Originally posted by LilMo
            Excuse me?
            I'm not disrespecting your work, but your saying it as if children are so mentally vulnerable that they would get PTSD for watching a few people getting murdered on TV?
            I believe the statistic is that the average American child has witnessed 10,000 murders in their living room by age 14. I read that in "Power versus Force" by Dr. David R. Hawkins, MD, PhD.

I did a google search and found this article. The stat they use is 16,000 murders by age 18.

My point is that when kids witness graphic violence and sex as opposed to leaving things to the imagination, it has a negative effect on them. I work with kids who have been traumatized by real violence against them or in their household. Kids are extremely vulnerable psychologically, mentally, and emotionally which is why we adults need to protect and nurture them.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanusus
              I totally agree. A show that comes on at 8pm and is rated PG13! should NEVER show violence. Young kids usually stay up past 8 pm anyways. This is awful! I'm sick of it! I would rather the show portray Clark holding teddy bears and there be a rainbow over Metropolis and then in the back ground they sing kumbaya,
              I'm taking this as major sarcasm.

Comment

Taking my mom and therapist hat off for a moment, I don't watch much tv and avoid violent tv shows, but I have to say, I have always loved Smallville. I think the violence fits the story at this point and there is something about sci-fi/fantasy/superhero violence that takes some of the reality out of it. I never watch the local news because the violence is too real and close to home (I live in the murder capital of Florida), but I think episodes like "Rabid" are great and watch them multiple times.

In a nutshell, Smallville is too violent and sexy for kids under 14 but I am able to tolerate it and enjoy the story.

Comment

I think this show is for a more mature audience. Don't fret. As time goes on, your children can enjoy this series on DVD in their older years. I love the updated/adult material it digs into and realistic portrayals w/ cool fight/death scenes.

It updates the mythos into an area that has not been delved into in past series and movies. There are plenty of options outside of SV to share your Superman love w/ the children at their age now, and when they are older, you can show them this version and they will really appreciate how adult it is because that's what makes it different then their child-versions of Superman.

I can understand your frustration thow. I just lent season 1 & 2 to my 6-7 year old cousins and fortunately, those early years are a bit more acceptable to view for youngsters. But, some episodes do still ring "questionable".

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by We're Luthors...
                  I agree Smallville has changed a lot especially seasons 8 and 9. There is a tad too much blood and gore, but at the same time I think it won't "scar" a seven year old's mind. But then again America as a whole has gone too soft, and sensitive.
                  I don't think so either, but I'm the last person on earth that should be (Or wants to be a parent, lol). I think children can compartmentalize things as "entertainment" a little better than adults give them credit for.
                  Last edited by davidbrenton; 10-10-2009, 03:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Taking my mom and therapist hat off for a moment, I don't watch much tv and avoid violent tv shows, but I have to say, I have always loved Smallville. I think the violence fits the story at this point and there is something about sci-fi/fantasy/superhero violence that takes some of the reality out of it. I never watch the local news because the violence is too real and close to home (I live in the murder capital of Florida), but I think episodes like "Rabid" are great and watch them multiple times.

In a nutshell, Smallville is too violent and sexy for kids under 14 but I am able to tolerate it and enjoy the story.
                    Murder capital of Florida. Could it be Miami? Lol. I'm from Miami. Ever watch "The First 48"? It's about real murders and every second story they show is in Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by Minela
                      Murder capital of Florida. Could it be Miami? Lol. I'm from Miami. Ever watch "The First 48"? It's about real murders and every second story they show is in Miami.
                      Hmmm...maybe that's why "Dexter" is in Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbrenton
                        Hmmm...maybe that's why "Dexter" is in Miami.

Could be. All this heat must be making people crazy. I suggest, instead of killing people, jump in the Ocean and cool off.

Comment

At this point, if the creators of the show were to dim down the effects, such as the violent zombies, they would lose viewership and we would be left with half a season without a true ending. The ratings systems are in place for a reason. Please dont ask people to change what they create so that today's children can watch it. This show is for those of whom have grown up watching it, meaning it has to grow with us or lose us.

I appreciate the concern for children but if youd like them to know of the mythos, start with the comics. There is an excellent coffee table book of the Sunday news comics at Barnes & Nobel right now for $7. It is a compilation of the comics from the newspaper from the 50s or 60s, I believe. Its an excellent reference.

On a side note, I feel as though this discussion I have heard about the Harry Potter series. I was 11 when that series came out. I grew up reading it and was very pleased to see J.K. did not balk at the serious issues. Just like Smallville, the series was meant to mature with its readership and its interest group.

Comment

It's all up to the parent's disgression imo - you know what your child is/should be able to handle and while obviously Smallville is meant to above around 14-15, depending on the child it could be lower or higher.
                            I watch it with my little brothers aged 10 and 12 and they love it - but then I know they can handle it, and if they can't or if I feel it's inappropriate (like sex/y scenes) I tell them to cover their eyes or cover their eyes myself lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Minela
                              I assumed it was Miami, too, but I heard recently that Jacksonville was number one for murders in Florida. It is also the number one CW affiliate in the country. Coincidence...?

Comment

Originally posted by galatians221
                                I'm sure they'd enjoy Friday the 13th movies also but that doesn't mean that they should see them. I have higher standards for my kids. Seeing violent death presented as realistically as possible is appealing to the worst in us. We don't need to see the gory details.
                                Umm...Smallville has always had way too much sex in it for very small children. IMO. It started nine years ago. I would think about that before I got to the violence. Haven't you seen the Clois dream flashes? If a small child was watching, I've always just covered eyes when violence or too much sex is on.

Smallville isn't made to be a "kiddie" show. If it was, I wouldn't like it as much.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Yeah, really, if you think Smallville is violent, I definatley wouldn't recommned the newest Batman movie.
                                Last edited by curiosity; 10-10-2009, 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎