Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too violent; my 7 year old will have to do without Smallville

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's about time Smallville had some edge. I mean it's zombies, what do you want? It's bad enough that Dawn Ostroff think's the CW is a woman's network so let Smallville have some violence. We barely get any real action so I liked seeing all of it in this episode. The only thing where I could understand where you're coming from was the decapitation by Zod. That was realistic but you can't have zombies without some sort of violence.

Comment

Its not made for small children. I respect your right as a parent of course but god forbid a show be made where a 7 year old cant watch it! I mean really the world is a dark place at times its somewhat realistic for a super hero show.

Comment

Smallville isn't geared for children and never has been in my opinion. There was violence right from the start. Meteors falling killing people. Clark was hung up as a scarecrow shirtless in his underware. A bug boy stalks Lana and kills his mother. The football coach goes up in flames. A teen girl eats a deer raw on the road. A teen boy freezes a naked girl in the bathroom. Lana goes soft core and strips in front of Clark. I think you get my point. It would be better if young viewers watched something else, imo.
        Last edited by SnowBird; 10-09-2009, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Bev I agree with you wholeheartedly! While I respect galatians221 point of view from a mother's perspective Smallville in my opinion was never intended to be a "Family" show in which mom, dad, and the young kids could watch, the points listed below prove that point. I too have nieces and nephews who when they watch t.v. I first use the guide on the cable/sat. box to see how the show is rated, if its not in their age group then the channel is switched or they don't watch t.v! Also I sit down for a few minutes and see if what they are watching is age appropriate! If I don't think it is I once again I either change the channel or turn it off no arguements. Certain show are not suitable for children even if both parents are in the room. This is just my opinion.

Originally posted by SnowBird
          Smallville isn't geared for children and never has been in my opinion. There was violence right from the start. Meteors falling killing people. Clark was hung up as a scarecrow shirtless in his underware. A bug boy stalks Lana and kills his mother. The football coach goes up in flames. A teen girl eats a deer raw on the road. A teen boy freezes a naked girl in the bathroom. Lana goes soft core and strips in front of Clark. I think you get my point. It would be better if young viewers watched something else, imo.

Comment

Well it's never been really for children at least not as young as seven years old. It's TV-14. Also violence and gore are needed sometimes. You can't have a zombie episode without blood and fighting. This is a superhero show, it has to be included sometimes. I don't know how long your kid has been watching this but some of the other seasons included alot of gore too. If you don't want your kid watching it, then don't let them watch it.

Comment

The show is meant for an older youth audience.

Comment

I think it depends on what your kids are used to normally viewing. My kids love horror and disaster films. But they were raised watching them and do not get afraid. I watch Cujo in the middle of the night by myself at 6. But thats just me. I think it is a judgement call you can only make for yourself. Mine have watched Smallville all along and I haven't really had a problem with it but thats just me.

Comment

No you did not misread the post, the interest in Smallville is something that is being passed down that mother, father, and daughter watch. Well I digress on the subject.

Originally posted by Ella
                  Oh wait, never mind. I misread your post. You haven't shown the ep to your child. Well, I agree with you there. Don't show it to her. If you really want to show her the LnC parts, go for it but my nephews and my cousins usually want to watch the whole episode or movie and with shows like Smallville I always say NO and that's hard since they see how obsessed with it I am...

Comment

I don't think Smallville was ever for kids to be honest. It always had violence and to an extent some sexual content. I always thought of Smallville as PG-13...

Comment

Smallville has a huge dilemma in choosing a comic book story told to adults or to a g-rated audience. Even if the story line were in a current day comic book, it would never be as real as showing everything on the tv screen.
                      I know that Smallville's Clark is now 22 and he is way beyond the family show of 8 years ago. He is dealing with evil and the show is portraying this is a graphic adult manner.

I agree with you that your 7 year old should not watch unless you have prescreened. But, I am sure that you do this with most shows on tv.

Smallville is NOT your Mother's SUPERMAN! Thank God!

My concern is that they advertise Saturday morning cartoons. Who are they talking to?

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out jaydee I realized the same thing. Why in the world is CW promoting Yu-Gi-Oh and some other long titled show during Smallville?! I think that is the real issue not having underaged children watch TV-14 shows. Once again just my opinion.

Originally posted by jaydee85
                        My concern is that they advertise Saturday morning cartoons. Who are they talking to?

Comment

More GORE please!

Comment

I screen Smallville first before i let my 6 and 8 year old kids watch it.My kids will not be watching Rabid,to violent scary and gory,which is a shame because it was an excellent episode.

Comment

If your still reading this thread. Like others said, its not rated for 7 year olds. Its your choice to allow them to watch it.
                              Gore and violence is not unnecessary, it makes the show better IMO.
                              I've been watching Smallville since I was 8 and I've seen every episode, I don't think its too bad.

Comment

The Zod scene at the end was done in a subtle way compared to this weeks Supernatural, where Sam cut the head off Paris Hilton! Loved it.
                                Back on topic, there are plenty of ways to share your love of Superman with your kids.
                                Smallville is a teen/adult show and as a parent, you have the choice to make based on episode trailers, whether or not it's suitable. There's no excuse for missing trailers when they're posted all over youtube. You don't have to come and post on here that it's too violent, as it won't change anything. A lot of us have grown up with the show and it's naturally maturing now. What did you expect from a zombie episode titled 'Rabid'?
                                And comparing Friday the 13th and Smallville is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎