No announcement yet.

Too violent; my 7 year old will have to do without Smallville

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too violent; my 7 year old will have to do without Smallville

It's a shame but with all of the needless gore and excessive violence the past three weeks and last season as well I guess I'm going to have to stop passing down my life long passion for Superman to my 7 year old daughter. There is virtually nothing other than the Clark/Lois scenes that I can really show her. Our whole society is becoming obsessed with darkness and evil and violence. I don't expect Leave it to Beaver and I understand that without bad guys there is no need for good guys but there's more and more bad and less and less good. The gore last year from multiple episodes of Doomsday murders and the murder of Jimmy and Davis and the accompanying gore and now we get Metallo full of blood and laying in deep pools of blood and showing as much gore and evil as can be shown. Tonight we get a woman in her skimpy panties, and a pathetic story line of evil gone wild and cured by spraying blood out of a plane and Zod decapitating one of his minion. It's becoming over the top. I do have a DVR and just re-watched it and it took about ten to fifteen minutes to watch the few scenes that are worth watching. I love what they are doing with Clark and Lois but the obsession with gore and violence is unnecessary imho.

Well, yeah. The past seasons haven't been for kids.

Comment

my nephews enjoyed it and they are 7 and 5.

Comment

well your the parent so the choice is yours.

If your daughter wants to see more Clark/Lois I suggest you both watch Superman: The Animated Series.

Never been confirmed but I personally think much of the Smallville mythos and character personalities have been inspired by that cartoon.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperWoman88
          my nephews enjoyed it and they are 7 and 5.
          I'm sure they'd enjoy Friday the 13th movies also but that doesn't mean that they should see them. I have higher standards for my kids. Seeing violent death presented as realistically as possible is appealing to the worst in us. We don't need to see the gory details.

Comment

I agree, the gore and violence is not necessary.
            I absolutely love the show but this show is looking almost like Supernatural.
            where's the comic relief?

Comment

It is darker I understand because I'm having trouble with being Christian and what I should watch with other shows and movies but with the villians in this and the story at this point I think the darkness fits in but I do think they will start to lighten it up a bit. The show use to be a little better for kids but I think it's always kinda been for 13 and up they have dealt with murder and some pretty heavy violence since the start of the show. It's a little more excessive now but with the villians and Clarks point in the story I think it's ok for now. I do think It will start to brighten up as he gets closer to being Superman.

Even the comics are kinda darker these days, you may just wanna stick with the cartoons until they get older.
              Last edited by gj430; 10-09-2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by galatians221
                It's a shame but with all of the needless gore and excessive violence the past three weeks and last season as well I guess I'm going to have to stop passing down my life long passion for Superman to my 7 year old daughter. There is virtually nothing other than the Clark/Lois scenes that I can really show her. Our whole society is becoming obsessed with darkness and evil and violence. I don't expect Leave it to Beaver and I understand that without bad guys there is no need for good guys but there's more and more bad and less and less good. The gore last year from multiple episodes of Doomsday murders and the murder of Jimmy and Davis and the accompanying gore and now we get Metallo full of blood and laying in deep pools of blood and showing as much gore and evil as can be shown. Tonight we get a woman in her skimpy panties, and a pathetic story line of evil gone wild and cured by spraying blood out of a plane and Zod decapitating one of his minion. It's becoming over the top. I do have a DVR and just re-watched it and it took about ten to fifteen minutes to watch the few scenes that are worth watching. I love what they are doing with Clark and Lois but the obsession with gore and violence is unnecessary imho.
                I think you and I had this conversation during the episode that Dean Cain guest-starred. Was that you? I agree with you, no child should watch this show. The blood and gore will only get worse, especially with Zod on the canvas. Smallville stopped being a show that kids could watch around Season 3 or 4, I think. I'll probably continue this convo with you via PM, but the CW in general is going crazy. Gossip Girl is not something I would ever allow my teenager to watch.

Comment

Or try Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, it's more family oriented.

SS

Comment

I thought it would have made for a great pre-Halloween episode.

Comment

Smallville hasn't been for kids in a long time. This episode is just one of many that I personally wouldn't feel comfortable showing any small children, especially none as young as 7! Then again, I have been watching movies since I was a baby, literally...my mom is a horror movie fanatic so I have seen this type of stuff on my tv since I can remember. That's probably what scarred me. But for my small nephews and cousins, I always say no to the gore on tv or film. I just don't like having the kiddos watch this stuff and SV has been adulted oriented for many seasons now which is why I'd never consider letting them watch it this season at all. Just curious, if you have such high standards why do you even allow them to watch it in the first place? This isn't the first episode that has gore or has crossed that line into adult territory.
                      Last edited by Ella; 10-09-2009, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gj430
                        It is darker I understand because I'm having trouble with being Christian and what I should watch with other shows and movies but with the villians in this and the story at this point I think the darkness fits in but I do think they will start to lighten it up a bit. The show use to be a little better for kids but I think it's always kinda been for 13 and up they have dealt will with murder and some pretty heavy violence since the start of the show. It's a little more excessive now but with the villians and Clarks point in the story I think it's ok for now. I do think It will start to brighten up as he gets closer to being Superman.
                        I hope you're right but with the whole Zod thing and watching him decapitate a soldier tonight it's not likely. I have no problem with people getting thrown around and no problem with there being murders and Clark stopping the murderers but showing the ridiculous amounts of blood doesn't make it one bit more entertaining. Showing Jimmy with a pipe thrust through his gut with blood spurting out was a bit too graphic. We could perhaps have more special effects if they saved valuable budget money by not having to spend all of that money on fake blood. It's over the top.

Comment

yea i understand some parents dont like their younger kids watching adult/killing/gore and all that. But the show is rated TV 14 here in USA and this episode was meant to be dark. Not all episodes will be like this.

Comment

Oh wait, never mind. I misread your post. You haven't shown the ep to your child. Well, I agree with you there. Don't show it to her. If you really want to show her the LnC parts, go for it but my nephews and my cousins usually want to watch the whole episode or movie and with shows like Smallville I always say NO and that's hard since they see how obsessed with it I am...

Comment

i actually thought the last scene where zod kills the guy with a sword was excessive...which made me want to enjoy it more. but that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎