Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why oh why didn't Clark go back to the DP in his glasses!?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why oh why didn't Clark go back to the DP in his glasses!?

I was really hoping Clark would go back to the DP wearing glasses last night. The scene with Chloe suggested to me he was going to set up a Clark Kent persona if he chose to go back which would include both a different style of hair and glasses. I was pretty disappointed to find out he looked exactly the same as before he left.

Anyone else think they missed a really good opportunity to introduce the glasses?

They missed a really good opportunity to introduce the glasses last season, or while he was in high school. But, yes, you're right. I thought they were going to have him appear in the very next scene with glasses. It would have made sense because he is now Kal El adopting a human disguise called Clark Kent.

Comment

Again. Why would he choose glasses as a disguise?

Just showing up in them with some throwaway line about his eye site going bad would be stupid. There has to be a set up given as to why he thinks only glasses will work as a disguise, and they haven't done that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
        Again. Why would he choose glasses as a disguise?

Just showing up in them with some throwaway line about his eye site going bad would be stupid. There has to be a set up given as to why he thinks only glasses will work as a disguise, and they haven't done that yet.
        The whole notion is silly, there will never be a believable set up or reason for them. It doesn't matter however, that is just how the comics go and so we shouldn't question the CK disguise. In the comics it works, so in SV it'll work, regardless of the flaky reasoning behind it. It should simply be 'I need to disguise myself, so I will change my hair and put on some glasses'. There isn't a need for anything more than that because in the comics that's all there is to it. He spoke of a CK persona with Chloe in the scene (or at least implied it, I can't remember the exact words used) and so there really is nothing else that needs to be said as to why he would choose glasses.

Comment

Bump

Comment

In the comics it works better because he doesnt know so many ppl before he dons the glasses (and current continuity he dons them as a kid). But in Smallville, I do believe they'll have to give an added explanation. Perhaps some sort of magic attached to the glasses or costume to maybe make it so no one recognizes him either as Superman or as CK.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Superman
              In the comics it works better because he doesnt know so many ppl before he dons the glasses (and current continuity he dons them as a kid). But in Smallville, I do believe they'll have to give an added explanation. Perhaps some sort of magic attached to the glasses or costume to maybe make it so no one recognizes him either as Superman or as CK.
              Thank you.

The comics are one thing. TV is a totally different medium entirely, and SV has a more real world/sci-fi ascetic than a comic book one. And so many have seen him without the glasses at this point. Just having him show up in glasses with some lame excuse for them just because he supposed to have them is not just unbelievable, but would be bad writing too. Just giving them to him because of writer fiat, not from something organic via the story being told.

He'll get the glasses. But they are going to have to come up with a story and reason behind it, even if it requires some suspension of disbelief. Not just show up wearing them with some lame excuse. Just as they organically came up with a reason and explained why Clark isn't flying yet. It isn't that he never will. He has the power to do so, Jor-El more or less stated he did. He just has to overcome his mental block to do it.
              Last edited by morrigan01; 10-04-2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I know. It was the perfect opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
                  Thank you.

The comics are one thing. TV is a totally different medium entirely, and SV has a more real world/sci-fi ascetic than a comic book one. And so many have seen him without the glasses at this point. Just having him show up in glasses with some lame excuse for them just because he supposed to have them is not just unbelievable, but would be bad writing too. Just giving them to him because of writer fiat, not from something organic via the story being told.

He'll get the glasses. But they are going to have to come up with a story and reason behind it, even if it requires some suspension of disbelief. Not just show up wearing them with some lame excuse. Just as they organically came up with a reason and explained why Clark isn't flying yet. It isn't that he never will. He has the power to do so, Jor-El more or less stated he did. He just has to overcome his mental block to do it.
                  Any excuse he comes up with as to why he's suddenly wearing glasses won't be any more viable if used at a later date than if it was used in this episode. So I really cannot see what you're trying to say.

Comment

i got it!!! clark should wear glasses so large and thick that it actually distorts the perception of his upper face....due to the optical bending of the light through the thick glass. then if he changes his hairstyle and slouches and makes his voice higher...i think this could be a realistic disguise.

Comment

Originally posted by markbot
                      i got it!!! clark should wear glasses so large and thick that it actually distorts the perception of his upper face....due to the optical bending of the light through the thick glass. then if he changes his hairstyle and slouches and makes his voice higher...i think this could be a realistic disguise.

Okkkk...so in other words, make him soo unattractive that even Lois will be like "sheesh, what happened to you?"

Remember, NOT superman yet. not superman, yet.

Yeah they had the perfect opportunity to introduce the eyewear and now I'm all the interested to see how lame the introduction is going to be

Comment

I don't even worry about this anymore

Ive pretty much chalked it up to smallville being one metaphorical X-men Danger Room....

and eventually Jor-El or something will alter the reality and Supes will emerge with all his proper attire

Comment

Yeah I was hoping that he was going to wear the glasses.

Comment

I admit, that I was a little crushed that he didn't come in wearing the glasses!

However, I am going to let this one slide. I'm pretty positive they'll save that for a part of the final transformation, as just another way to "disguise" his CK persona. I'm not even going to go there as far as the "people will still recognize him" thing. I think someone somewhere (Emil?) will come up with something. Besides, they have to leave something big toward the end of the year, or for sweeps or whatever.

On a side note, I actually liked the idea that it was Lois who first put those iconic glasses on him. I loved that scene in Apocalypse. Totally fitting and it warmed my heart!

Comment

Smallville has a little different take on Superman, I didn't expect any glasses right now, maybe it does fit in the comics, but Smallville is a different cup of tea

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎