Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the end of the Terminator franchise?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the end of the Terminator franchise?

The "talk of the town" this week (besides Avatar) is that the Terminator franchise might be on its last legs. Despite its lackluster performance, the real problems now lie in lawsuits and financial troubles surrounding The Halcyon Company, which picked up the Terminator rights a few years ago. Ben Fritz at the LA Times has

I didnt dislike TS, but it certainly did not leave me yearning for another. I do miss the tv show greatly.

Terminator salvation was just ok and people picked up on it. It was better than T3 but came nowere near the the first two films. The thing about Salvation is that it was just another action movie with little by way of revilations or insight into the charcters that would make up the Terminiator universe. I think that a 5th could work but it would have to be more than another McG stunt show

Comment

I thought the TV show was a slow starter and at times lacked a little punch. It was a pity it got dropped as I thought it was getting better, I was confused by this but US TV people seem to always drop the good shows.

TS was a good addition and I want to see more Terminator films, but to think they will ever have the same impact as the first 2 is naive, they will always be incomparable to future offerings I I feel.

Comment

[QUOTEI didnt dislike TS, but it certainly did not leave me yearning for another. I do miss the tv show greatly.[/QUOTE]

I agree and think that most fans of terminator at least like TS a lil lol. The show was good but started to get really shoddy writing in season 2 IMO and very lackluster low budget special FX like pasteboard box/led "sub" sets.

Comment

sorry, i did not see any low budget special FX on TSCC. In fact, TSCC special FX is way better and more seamless than any Smallville episodes at the top of its budgets. Perhaps because TSCC tries to do things in a more realistic fashion and didn't abuse CGI as heavily, but special FX of TSCC was top notch.

The scenes where Chromartie died or when the Captain of the USS Jimmy Carter died, were stunning in special FX and makeup. They were truly movie grade stuff. And the HK drone crashing into Weaver's office was shot using a live size model crashing and destroying the office for real. How is that lackluster low budget special FX?

Name another TV show besides Battlestar Galactica that tops TSCC in special effects.

Comment

I liked Terminator Salvation ALOT! I'm waiting for it to come out on Blu-Ray.

I LOVED TSCC but that was dropped which was stupid cause the show they chose over TSCC was Dollhouse and that show is now dropped aswell cause of lack of ratings. They "took their bet and chance" like they said on DH and it failed. They could've saved that money for TSCC. That was a bad bad BAD judgment call on FOX or whoever decided to go with DH instead of TSCC. I laugh about it now. I laugh HARD!

----- Added 7 Minutes later -----

The reason why most people DON'T wanna see another Terminator movie is cause they cant ever get it right like Cameron did. McG did well in some areas and bad in others but I liked TS alot. I like it enough to buy the movie when it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray.

If we can get someone that has that "style" for Terminator then we're back in the game.

every and ALL terminator films need to be rated R! There's no question about that. They also need to be borderlined, Horror like the first film.

Every T film thats made is lackluster cause it's done by someone or people that just aren't the right fit for the story and films.

Seems to be that the ONLY person that can continue the Terminator films and make them RIGHT!, would be James Cameron. The man who started it in the first place. His vision is what everyone likes most.
            Last edited by Johnold; 11-23-2009, 06:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

ok, I have to say this... T2 was awesome. But as great as James Cameron is, T1 wasn't that great a movie. I am not saying this because the FX wasn't that great.

Everyone feels T1 is great because it started everything. One really needs to see T1 to get a lot of the details for T2, and T2 was great, so people bundle them up together.

But T1 was a robot version of Alien with not enough heart. It was a good movie, but not a great movie, certainly no where near T2. And to say T1 alone is better than T4, I think is projecting a lot of T2 on to T1.

I think it's sad that Dollhouse failed. Dollhouse wasn't great from the start like TSCC, so I think TSCC is the superior series.

But Dollhouse is just getting better, the last episode before the hiatus was on par with any scifi series. Extremely thought provoking and has tons of heart.

I saw some Dollhouse and even Joss Whedon hating from some TSCC fans when the news first came out. I am sad that is the reaction from scifi fans. Scifi shows on network TV is rare enough.

And with the way Dollhouse is going, it will be more thought provoking than say V, Smallville, or Heroes after season 2, which are more just scifi thrillers/dramas that rarely challenge the viewers. I enjoy them, but I get excited over a show that dares to go that extra step like BSG, TSCC and Dollhouse. And it's sad that fans from different fandoms has to rip on each other.

That said, I do also laugh at the decision FOX made. But I can't laugh that hard, because I think there's a good chance that this is what they planned to do all along.

They wanted to get rid of both shows to begin with but were afraid to catch too much wrath. So they canceled the anchor of the two. And didn't bother to promote the other show at all. Then blame the poor rating on the show, and cancel it after airing 4 episodes of season 2.

Comment

Who knows anymore with FOX. I don't even think THEY KNOW ANYMORE...

TV sucks. Networks make shows but as a fan you never know it's fate...Sucks.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎