No announcement yet.

Arwen Spoiler Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arwen Spoiler Thread

We have threads like this in the Smallville forum and it's a good way of keeping everything together so here goes:

Bradley James

Jenna Busch: Were there any changes in the myth that surprised you?

Bradley James: I think the fact that Uther is still alive was a big one, because it changes the whole dynamic of the story. You've got Guinevere as a servant girl as opposed to...in legends, Guinevere was a beautiful, not quite a princess, but sort of a lady of court, who Arthur and a lot of other people fell instantly in love with. She was just this beautiful sort of image that love-at-first-sight hit quite a few people. We obviously haven't gone down that line. Nobody knows she's alive. Arthur doesn't know she exists. It becomes more about the character that she shows, the person she is inside, I guess, that becomes the attraction. And so that is obviously a huge change from the legend. And also the fact that you've got this Merlin character that is a young guy, a contemporary of Arthur. It's not something that's been done before. It's just our kind of our twist on the show. And it still leaves room for that epitomal telling of the actual legend itself.

Jenna Busch: Speaking of Guinevere and Arthur's relationships...at least as far in as American audiences are, there seems to be a relationship with Uther's ward Morgana (Katie McGrath) as well. And there are definitely links to the legend there. (In most legends, Morgana is Arthur's half-sister, and the mother of his child and future murderer, Mordred.) Are we ultimately going to see Gwen and Arthur together?

Bradley James: This is it. I think everyone knows where the story is going to end up. So there's almost no point in doing the show if you're going to go straight there. There's a bit to go through yet before we really get moving on the Arthur/Guinevere storyline. There's a bit to go before Arthur is even aware of her existence.

Q: Are there any big changes?

Bradley James: From Arthur's point of view the one main difference, having going through the first series not knowing this person Guinevere existed, the second series has the first signs that he's aware of who she is. So that's going to develop and I suppose you'll see when it comes to season two where that goes!

Katie McGrath

Can you talk about Morgana’s relationship with Arthur and how we might see that progress?

Katie: I think the relationship between Morgana and Arthur is very much a sibling relationship. You see them bickering… and they’ve been brought up as brother and sister. And it starts in the first few episodes, where it was more ambiguous about what was going to happen. But the producers, I think, decided that as time wore on that it was far more interesting to have them be played as brother and sister, rather than have there be any sort of tension between them. Because the story for Arthur, love-wise, is definitely Guinevere. That’s the big story. And the Morgana story with him plays secondary to that. So it’s more interesting to do the sort of sibling rivalry between them. She can pull his strings. She knows how to annoy him. She knows how to manipulate him. That’s one of the keys to Morgana. She’s the queen manipulator. She’s smart enough to know people’s weaknesses and pull on those strings to get what she wants. Classic episode is where she gets Arthur to go and to save Mordred… She does it for the right reasons, but if you really think about it, there are seeds about how she’s going to become evil in a later time. It’s for the best of intentions, but not always the best way of doing it.

General

We were told during the London Expo that there would be more Arwen development too.

All in all, I'm very excited by what season two will bring in regards to these two but TBH, I'm a little wary too because I want it done right. I don’t want it to be rushed or fumbled. I want each of their characters developed separately and involved in their own arc especially Gwen who wasn’t really delved into during the first season. I’d like to see more of her, what she thinks, what makes her tick, etc.

I have hopes that the relationship will be done right especially if it will begin with Arthur just beginning to be aware of her.
    Last edited by Dustmite; 08-17-2009, 02:33 PM.

Thanks for compiling these Dusti! I cannot wait for series two now.

I'm curious to see how they step it up.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedJenn
      Thanks for compiling these Dusti! I cannot wait for series two now.

I'm curious to see how they step it up.
      No problem

Me too. I'm so excited. We also get to see shirtless Bradley (WOOT!) and Angel in prettty clothes rather then the drab stuff they dressed her in in season 1. So much to look forward to.

Comment

Yeah, even though I see Gwen as beautiful inside, from the stills we've seen of her new look in S2, it looks the show IS going for the 'beautiful outside' as well. So I don't think it is that far from the legends, just adding something to it.

I mean Lancelot was almost instantly smitten, and he didn't know her that well, and since that appears like it will be revisited in S2, I see Lance/Gwen as more him placing her on a pedestal (though I DO think he is very sweet) whereas with Arthur/Gwen I get the feeling it will be more about connecting with eachother on an emotional level and THEN noticing how gorgeous the other is.

I've seen Angel off set and she is unbelievably gorgeous, and it looks like that will be more on level with Gwen on the show in S2.

This was from an earlier interview I posted on another thread, I've added in some spoilers of the other relationships going in S2, in comparison to Arwen as well.

Originally posted by LovelyLoisLane
        a French site had an interview with Angel Coulby (Gwen/Guinevere) and Bradley James (Arthur) that a kind fan tried to translate into English.

Some minor spoilers for S1 and S2 . You've been warned. hehe I used google translator so the translations are NOT 100% accurate. Maybe only 90%? LOL A huge thank you to osept for finding the interview links and posting them over at merlin_tv Source:…

Here are the links to the original French site if anyone wants to improve upon the translation.

• There is a scene with Lancelot (played by returning Santiago Cabrera) and Guinevere where they are both running down a tunnel to escape from some pursuers.

Guinevere spends some time in Morgana's place (hence the pretty Morgana gown we saw her in) and when we see the scene we will understand why.

Though Gwen had a crush on Merlin in series/season one, it develops into something more platonic.

Angel feels that Gwen's concerned, nobility of the heart is something that will strengthen.

It is true that Arthur is suppose to fall in love with Guinevere, but the producers are very cautious about how that is handled, and they know that introducing Gwen the way they did would make it difficult to start 'all at once' so they are going to be careful.

The Arthur/Morgana relationship is played more as sibling like, and due to the nature of the show and the audience it is geared for, we won't see some of the 'darker' aspects of the story.
        (originally posted by Kyra in the Arwen thread)

That seems like it will be her normal attire for the season as I've seen it in shots from other scenes as well.
        It looks like Arthur is in that photo there in the blue cloak. Gwen looks so teeny-tiny next to the two lads.

I'm not sure what the deal is exactly with linking, so if this one is not allowed just let me know. I don't actually KNOW what hotlinking is.

This album is property of Sebastien.

This looks to be a night-time scene with Gwen/Arthur in the courtyard of the castle.

Last edited by LovelyLoisLane; 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM.

Comment

From the latest SFX magazine.

Bradley James:

"Arthur actually recognises who Gwen is this series after a year of not knowing who she was," says James of Arthur's future bride. "There's hints as to the future. And yes, there is development there."

Angel Coulby:

"I think Gwen begins to see Arthur as more the future. He represents a brighter future for the people of Camelot and her. And therefore their relationship starts to develop a little bit more. Then there's a bit of a love triangle as well when Lancelot turns up."

Yes, the dashing knight played by Heroes's star Santiago Cabrera is making a return. "Lancelot turns up when I get kidnapped," explains Coulby. "He helps to rescue me. But, unbeknown to us Arthur is on his way to rescue me, too. And they sort of come fact-to-face and they're like 'Oh, what are you doing here?' 'Oh, I'm rescuing Gwen...' 'Oh, I'm rescuing Gwen.' So there's a bit of a clash between those two but it's hidden because Arthur and I haven't necessarily expressed our true feelings for each other."

Comment

From the latest SFX magazine.

Bradley James:

"Arthur actually recognises who Gwen is this series after a year of not knowing who she was," says James of Arthur's future bride. "There's hints as to the future. And yes, there is development there."

Angel Coulby:

"I think Gwen begins to see Arthur as more the future. He represents a brighter future for the people of Camelot and her. And therefore their relationship starts to develop a little bit more. Then there's a bit of a love triangle as well when Lancelot turns up."

Yes, the dashing knight played by Heroes's star Santiago Cabrera is making a return. "Lancelot turns up when I get kidnapped," explains Coulby. "He helps to rescue me. But, unbeknown to us Arthur is on his way to rescue me, too. And they sort of come fact-to-face and they're like 'Oh, what are you doing here?' 'Oh, I'm rescuing Gwen...' 'Oh, I'm rescuing Gwen.' So there's a bit of a clash between those two but it's hidden because Arthur and I haven't necessarily expressed our true feelings for each other."

And did you see the picture with the article? The one on the lower left hand side of Arwen. Morgana's there too but those two caught my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustmite

And did you see the picture with the article? The one on the lower left hand side of Arwen. Morgana's there too but those two caught my eye.
              No, I didn't! There was an image of Arwen?!

Oh I have to see it!

I couldn't view any of the scans that were with the article I read, they just showed up as red xs

Comment

No, I didn't! There was an image of Arwen?!

Oh I have to see it!

I couldn't view any of the scans that were with the article I read, they just showed up as red xs
                Here it is: http://yavannauk.livejournal.com/334540.html

Last scan, bottom left. I think you'll like it.

Comment

We need a blow up of that. It is too small, I can't see their faces! *Arwen makes me a bit manic*
                  Last edited by LovelyLoisLane; 08-26-2009, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I can't see those images. I can't view ANYTHING on LJ today for some reason.
                    That's such a shame. It's working fine for me. Have you tried right clicking and pressing show picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Dustmite
                      That's such a shame. It's working fine for me. Have you tried right clicking and pressing show picture?
                      It was Java. I fixed it.

Comment

Gosh, I looove this picture

It isn't september yet!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait to see jealous arthur and the lovely gwen!!!!! serie 2 looks like already awesome!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kyra04

It isn't september yet!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait to see jealous arthur and the lovely gwen!!!!! serie 2 looks like already awesome!!!!

I love the picture too. After so few scene between them in season 1, it's exciting to know that they will be interacting in the season opener and that we have much more to look forward to as well.

Comment

Gosh, I looove this picture.

It isn't September yet! Can't wait to see jealous Arthur and the lovely Gwen! Series Two already looks awesome!

Oh thanks so much for that picture, babe! I hadn't seen it bigger so this is great!

Guinevere and Morgana kind of look like they are disagreeing in that picture, with the set of Gwen's face. That's rare, but maybe they are just in a heated discussion about the safety of Camelot in the face of whatever baddie/monster is threatening it.

I love having Guinevere at the side of her husband prince.

I would really like to see more moments of Guinevere giving others counsel. She seems so austere and queenly when she does so, and I love it!

I'm really excited too Kyra. I actually thought that we might not get a jealous Arthur as soon as S2, but it appears it does happen, even if just a little bit. From the sounds of things, it seems that Arthur might be surprised that he feels jealous. I LOVE stuff like that.

Arthur seemed a little bit smitten at the end of that last scene in Le Morte, with the way he smiled, and sighed after Gwen left the room. It gave me the giggles, so I'd like to think we will get more scenes of him smiling at her in S2. The nice thing is, I don't think that smile he gave her in Le Morte was a smile he had given anyone else. Usually he smirks at people, because he is so prattish playful. I don't recall him wearing such a delighted smile before. Even when Sophia put a spell on him, he didn't look quite like he did in Le Morte. So it is nice that when he DID smile like that, it was for Guinevere.

Lancelot is pretty dishy too, and I'm all for having the infamous love triangle BEFORE anyone takes vows because I think it makes ALL parties come out looking a little better than they sometimes do in other tellings of the legend.

We know that Lancelot is very smitten with Gwen, and I don't see that changing upon his return to the show. Last time, Arthur wasn't very aware of Guinevere, and therefore not very aware of the Lance/Gwen attraction going on, but this time he will be and I'm interested in the reaction there. Looks like the hypothetical question Merlin dropped on Gwen in "Lancelot" might come to bear a little sooner than anyone thought.

This is all in addition to the fact that the cute but plain Gwen of S1 looks SMOKIN fine in S2, and I'm sure there is a romantic angled motive behind that.

I am so ready for the end of September. I feel like that Green Day song "Wake Me Up When September Ends"

Comment

Awesome, I always love Arwen when I first watch it in London. I love both of them but also love Merlin. Thanks for the picture...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎