No announcement yet.

Season 8 Top Ten

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
    The only episode I don't understand is "Stiletto" in the top ten. Sure it dealt superhero issues which is a plus but it was too campy for my taste for the most part.
    Well, I don't understand several of your choices for top ten. I thought "Eternal" was pretty much a load of garbage and I thought "Beast" was also a horrible episode and the start of a terrible downward spiral on the show where Clark's viewpoint was downplayed so that others could be built up as the heroes over him. That's why this is subjective.

I totally understand why "Stiletto" is on some people's list. It's on mine. Clark was written very well in the episode. His viewpoint was validated and he was the hero of the episode. Lois made some mistakes in the episode but she was called on those mistakes and showed character growth. (What a novel concept on this show!) Clark made a selfless choice to throw himself in front of the bullet at the end of the episode and came out the hero. The ending scene at the Daily Planet was loaded with chemistry and spoke to the changing feelings between Lois and Clar and the final scene of the episode between Lois and The Red-Blue-Blur was a true Superman moment. Clark was Superman in that moment and it was a turning point in his relationship with Lois.

Ironically, one of the reviewers for the Superman homepage despised pretty much the entire second half of SEason 8---except for "Stiletto." It was one of the only episodes that he gave a good review to in the second half of the season.

This is all subjective. For me, it all comes down to writing for CLARK. If Clark is written well and written as a leader than the episode is a huge success to me. "Stiletto" did that.
    Last edited by Audrey229; 01-01-2011, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey229
      Well, I don't understand several of your choices for top ten. I thought "Eternal" was pretty much a load of garbage and I thought "Beast" was also a horrible episode and the start of a terrible downward spiral on the show where Clark's viewpoint was downplayed so that others could be built up as the heroes over him. That's why this is subjective.

I totally understand why "Stiletto" is on some people's list. It's on mine. Clark was written very well in the episode. His viewpoint was validated and he was the hero of the episode. Lois made some mistakes in the episode but she was called on those mistakes and showed character growth. (What a novel concept on this show!) Clark made a selfless choice to throw himself in front of the bullet at the end of the episode and came out the hero. The ending scene at the Daily Planet was loaded with chemistry and spoke to the changing feelings between Lois and Clar and the final scene of the episode between Lois and The Red-Blue-Blur was a true Superman moment. Clark was Superman in that moment and it was a turning point in his relationship with Lois.

Ironically, one of the reviewers for the Superman homepage despised pretty much the entire second half of SEason 8---except for "Stiletto." It was one of the only episodes that he gave a good review to in the second half of the season.

This is all subjective. For me, it all comes down to writing for CLARK. If Clark is written well and written as a leader than the episode is a huge success to me. "Stiletto" did that.
      I loved the retcon of "Eternal", the use of Lionel and Lex and how Tess tried to save Clark. The fact she and Chloe tried to solve the Doomsday dilemma was awesome even if their ways were questionable. Clark held his viewpoint and even if he couldn't stop Chloe when Davis was in the kryptonite cage...in the end it was pointless because he became immortal.

Which leads to "Beast". Imo one of the most emotional episode of the entire series with not a single dull moment. When Chloe sacrifises herself for Clark at the end and Clark looses his cool...that was just so awesome. She really felt like Clark's best friend there. The only part I didn't like was her sending Clark to Alaska, but when he returned, he saved Oliver (who condemmed Chloe's plan) and Jimmy. The fortress scene was great even if Chloe saved Davis from the Phantom Zone a bit conveniently.

But it's all subjective like you said. And I did think Clark was written well in the two episodes. I thought he was written well in "Stiletto" too but that episode just wasn't ambitious enough for me. It was just silly. "Hex" was silly done right for me, because it had alot more going on with it.

It told alot about Clark as it did about Chloe and Lois. Plus there's Zatanna and Chloe starting again at WT (setting up S9 nicely). Plus Clark's superjump alone beats "Stiletto" in my books. I know this is a minor thing to mention but out of all the superjumps on Smallville, "Hex" has to have the best one ("Prey" maybe second or third)...just one of the many reasons S8 is my personal favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
        I loved the retcon of "Eternal", the use of Lionel and Lex and how Tess tried to save Clark. The fact she and Chloe tried to solve the Doomsday dilemma was awesome even if their ways were questionable. Clark held his viewpoint and even if he couldn't stop Chloe when Davis was in the kryptonite cage...in the end it was pointless because he became immortal.

Which leads to "Beast". Imo one of the most emotional episode of the entire series with not a single dull moment. When Chloe sacrifises herself for Clark at the end and Clark looses his cool...that was just so awesome. She really felt like Clark's best friend there. The only part I didn't like was her sending Clark to Alaska, but when he returned, he saved Oliver (who condemmed Chloe's plan) and Jimmy. The fortress scene was great even if Chloe saved Davis from the Phantom Zone a bit conveniently.

But it's all subjective like you said. And I did think Clark was written well in the two episodes. I thought he was written well in "Stiletto" too but that episode just wasn't ambitious enough for me. It was just silly. "Hex" was silly done right for me, because it had alot more going on with it.

It told alot about Clark as it did about Chloe and Lois. Plus there's Zatanna and Chloe starting again at WT (setting up S9 nicely). Plus Clark's superjump alone beats "Stiletto" in my books. I know this is a minor thing to mention but out of all the superjumps on Smallville, "Hex" has to have the best one ("Prey" maybe second or third)...just one of the many reasons S8 is my personal favourite.
        I totally agree....I have to say that ETERNAL and BEAST were amazing episodes....I preety much liked all the season......
        I didn't find ETERNAL so retcon-y....it just showed things from another perspective....and I think that the replacement of PILOT Lex with Connor Stanhope's Lex was done beautifully.....

As for the leap HEX I think is the second best....the first has to be ARRIVAL's right???

Comment

Originally posted by DrEmil
          I totally agree....I have to say that ETERNAL and BEAST were amazing episodes....I preety much liked all the season......
          I didn't find ETERNAL so retcon-y....it just showed things from another perspective....and I think that the replacement of PILOT Lex with Connor Stanhope's Lex was done beautifully.....

As for the leap HEX I think is the second best....the first has to be ARRIVAL's right???
          I am a major "Hex" fan, too! "Eternal" is... okay for me. I have a special attachment to it from writing my first-ever episode review on it, but some of the plot inconsistencies did bother me. However, I, too, liked Connor Stanhope being included in the flashbacks -- he portrays an awesome Li'l Lex!

Comment

1.Bloodline
            2.Abyss
            3.Bride
            4.Legion
            5.Bulletproof
            6.Power
            7.Requiem
            8.Infamous
            9.Injustice
            10.Doomsday

Ck.

Comment

Season 8 top 10

1. Bride- Spectacular episode! So much suspense, great acting, and one of the best cliffhangers of the show.

2. Infamous- Very well done episode. Packed with excitement from beginning to end. Plus Erica Durance was amazing in this episode.

3. Eternal- Loved the retelling of the past.

4. Legion- Allison Mack was awesome!

5. Turbulence

6. Abyss

7. Odyssey

8. Bloodline

9. Beast

10. Tie between Requiem & Hex. Clark and Lana's goodbye in Requiem was heartbreaking yet necessary. Hex is very entertaining, again Erica Durance was awesome.
              Last edited by SVFAN89; 01-11-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

This season doesnt even have a top 5, I couldnt possibly name 10

Comment

Here are the updated standings for Season 8, which had quite a few shake-ups due to the last couple of new votes!

Season 8 - 63 ENTRIES
                  1. Bride - 57 votes
                  2. Bloodline - 53 votes
                  3. Hex - 50 votes
                  4. Identity - 49 votes
                  5. Legion - 46 votes
                  6. Infamous - 44 votes
                  7. Committed - 42 votes
                  8. Odyssey - 38 votes
                  9. Stiletto - 31 votes
                  10. Prey (TIE) - 25 votes
                  10. Turbulence (TIE) - 25 votes

----------
                  12. Beast (TIE) - 24 votes
                  12. Abyss (TIE) - 24 votes
                  14. Instinct - 22 votes
                  15. Eternal - 21 votes
                  16. Plastique (TIE) - 18 votes
                  16. Doomsday (TIE) - 18 votes
                  18. Requiem - 14 votes
                  19. Injustice - 13 votes
                  20. Toxic - 11 votes
                  21. Bulletproof - 9 votes
                  22. Power - 4 votes

Here's another way of looking at the score breakdown!!! Below is the percentage of people's lists that each episode appeared on.

Bride - 90%
                  Bloodline - 84%
                  Hex - 79%
                  Identity - 78%
                  Legion - 73%
                  Infamous - 70%

Committed - 67%
                  Odyssey - 60%

Stiletto - 49%
                  Prey - 40%
                  Turbulence - 40%

Beast - 38%
                  Abyss - 38%
                  Instinct - 35%
                  Eternal - 33%

Plastique - 29%
                  Doomsday - 29%
                  Requiem - 22%
                  Injustice - 21%

Toxic - 17%
                  Bulletproof - 14%

Power - 6%
                  Last edited by SGuthrie27; 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Here's my Season 8 episode ranking as well as the season average (at the moment).

Top 10

1. Bulletproof: 7
                    2. Identity: 7
                    3. Bloodline: 7
                    4. Prey: 7
                    5. Plastique: 6.5
                    6. Bride: 6.5
                    7. Legion: 6.5
                    8. Instinct: 6
                    9. Hex: 6
                    10. Odyssey: 6

11. Stiletto: 6

12. Committed: 5.5
                    13. Toxic: 5.5
                    14. Turbulence: 5
                    15. Injustice: 5

16. Infamous: 4.5
                    17. Abyss: 4.5

18. Requiem: 3.5
                    19. Beast: 3.5
                    20. Eternal: 3

21. Power: 2.5
                    22. Doomsday: 2

Season 8 Average: 5.27

First Half
                    (Odyssey--Legion) 6.18
                    Second Half (Bulletproof--Doomsday) 4.36

Last edited by HopeforTomorrow; 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

9.5: Committed, Hex
                      9: Stiletto
                      8.5: Instinct, Identity
                      8: Bloodline, Bulletproof
                      7.5: Plastique, Bride, Legion
                      7: Prey, Odyssey
                      6: Turbulence
                      5.5: Toxic
                      5: Injustice
                      4: Abyss, Infamous
                      3.5: Doomsday
                      2.5: Power, Requiem, Eternal
                      2: Beast

Average 5.95/10

Probably my Favorite first half, with a train wreck of a second half(for various reasons)

Comment

So, here's my scoring for season 8. My opinion of Doomsday - the lame Clark/Doomsday fight and the Jimmy retcon = total fail, I am being way too generous giving it a 9. And again, it was in my worst 20. All the other season openers and finales I gave top scores for, so...yeah. I hate inconsistency.

Odyssey - 10/10
                        Plastique - 9/10
                        Toxic - 8/10
                        Instinct - 10/10
                        Committed - 7/10
                        Prey - 9/10
                        Identity - 10/10
                        Bloodlines - 10/10
                        Abyss - 10/10
                        Bride - 10/10
                        Legion - 10/10
                        Bulletproof - 8/10
                        Power - 5/10 - Here's an episode where I'm very happy to give a real average to low score.
                        Requiem - 8/10
                        Infamous - 10/10
                        Turbulence - 10/10
                        Hex - 10/10
                        Eternal - 9/10
                        Stiletto - 9/10
                        Beast - 9/10
                        Injustice - 8/10
                        Doomsday - 9/10 - Doesn't really deserve this score, I'm just being way too generous.

Season score - 198. Average score: 9/10

Comment

are you going to make a season 9 top ten?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎