Global Football Corner

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Spain have lost!!! How good was that defence, playing against the Two best strikers in the world, i was expecting a fight from USA, but this just surprised me

Comment

Just one thing.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee are Brazil...

I'm lovin' it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =]

Comment

Yeh, i think Brazil showed why they are ranked top, though credit to the US of A, they played so awesomely, i think if they had Bradley playing they would have kept that lead

Comment

USA were really good, but good was not enough. zo/*

hahahha to be honest I think Brazil was just lucky.

Comment

Wow - heard the result this morning. I'd have loved to have seen USA win it - I honestly think they're ones to watch in the near future. And they had a 2-0 lead too! As most teams know, you need a little hurt in tournaments such as these - those defeats are character-building!

Comment

O.o

But we are Brazil. 5 times world champions... whats there to build? =p

Comment

^^^ I was referring to the USA. Even Brazil have had their share of hurt in major tournaments though. Who'd have thought Zico would miss that penalty?

Comment

There is a big World Cup world qualifier between USA and Mexico. We have never won down in the Azteca and Mexico is in danger of missing the World Cup. This is a heated rivalry and I fully expect this to be a tough match. The altitude at the Azteca is crazy and not to mention that horrible pollution and smog in the air. This will definitely be a hard fought game. Let's GO USA.

Comment

Welcome along, Chris! Is the qualifier tonight? All the best for that one. I've a lot of respect for football in the US. What are your feelings on the whole Beckham debacle?

So the British season has started for many teams. Anyone see the Norwich result?!
                    TMLS, who did you side with in the Shrewsbury v Burton Albion game?
                    obsessedwithsv, were you shouting at the screen like Fergie, Rio et al? Gotta love Micky Ballack!
                    If Torres and Gerrard stay fit it could be Liverpool's year. Just can't see ManU doing it 4 times without Ronaldo this year. If the Chelsea players fancy playing for Ancelotti like they did for Hiddink then we could well win it ourselves. Definitely looking forward to it!

Comment

Hey thanks, glad to be on the forums. No actually the qualifier is on tomorrow in the afternoon (well depending on where your at). It will be on at 4pm eastern time in the US. Thanks for the respect, we are trying to get better. We are finally starting to see a little bit of an increase in the attention to sport over here in the states. Hopefully more kids get motivated to stay and play Football(soccer) instead of the other sports so much. We have so many gifted athletes here but they always seem to be playing American football and basketball.

Well the Beckham thing is kinda complicated. I like Beckham and I think he has definitely raised awareness of the MLS to the rest of the world. But I feel that last year he kinda blew off the season and we could kinda see that he didn't care anymore. That's why Donovan called him out in the book (although I think that he shoulda kept that in the locker room). We fully understand what he was trying to do though, going over to AC Milan because he's trying to make the England WC squad. But what I don't like is that he lied too much saying that he was committed to MLS while also saying that he wanted to stay permanently at Milan. If he would have just been honest and said I have to stay in Europe to play for England, I would have gladly taken that. Instead he kept on lying, that kind of got me mad.
                      Now when he came back to MLS he knew what he was going to come back too and he acted like a little kid, challenging a fan from the stands. Then he tried to say that he was trying to gice him his hand. He only offered his hand after the guy was already pummeled by the security. However he seems to have been motivated to play in MLS since Donovan called him out and the fans turned on him. He's playing great right now, polar opposite to last years Beckham.
                      I think us American MLS fans were angry with him, because we are trying to build a competitive league here and he kinda just didn't care last year. I think he thought it was a joke. He's making millions, that's more than double anybody else gets in the league and he wasn't putting all his effort. Our league is only 15 years old and we want to start building it into a stronger and more respectable league, we kinda wanted him to be the ambassador. That hasn't turned out to well. I really want Thierry Henry to come to MLS because I think he would really raise the awairness of football here. Also we love him here and from I understand he loves America. That's who I really think can add something great to MLS.
                      I like Beckham, it's just his lies that I hate.

Comment

Lex Dance, i was definitely shouting at Chris Foy after that. The whole thing was disgraceful on his part. Can't fault the Chelsea players for playing on. Anyway, congrats on the Shield. A penalty shoot out victory had been a long time coming for Chelsea.

As far as Beckham is concerned, i don't know the details of what has happened in his US tenure. But being a Man Utd fan for 15 years, i can say that Becks has lost a lot of his credibility ever since his lifestyle became more important than his career. I think a large part of that is down to how his wife influences him. I loved Beckham at United. He was a fans' player. I was sad when we basically showed him the door. But as it turns out, Ferguson knew something more than we did. I really hope he gives the MLS a good crack. He chose this (for whatever reason) and he has to commit to it. But it's not easy when you have Capello say that in order for Beckham to play in the World Cup he has to play in Europe. I am sorry, but how many Chinese players play in Europe? Does that mean that they will flop in South Africa?

Comment

Costas! How you doing fella? I appreciate your magnanimity.......I'm still trying to come to terms with JT's slip in the Moscow rain.
                          Are you watching England tonight, or are Greece playing? If it's the former, did you see your boy Rio's back "pass"? Whoops! We're looking stronger now, although Robben (remember him) just had a great chance. (EDIT: bloody Barry's just done the same!!)

I think Beckham's let himself down a bit over all of this. Generally I've had the upmost respect for the way he's conducted himself in a professional capacity (especially after France '98), so I was surprised about the way he went about trying to stay with Milan. Mind you, as Chris points out, he seems to be trying to make up for it now. I think Capello's got a point about playing in Europe though. I understand the point you are trying to make about China Costas, but I think with England we're looking at a team that could really win it - but to do that they'll need to beat the Spains, Italys, Brazils and Argentinas (the majority of whose players play in European Leagues). I guess you have to also factor in Beckham's age - I think Capello's really saying "Look, if you're really still good enough to play for England, you've got to show me you are by competing against (and with) the best." Do you remember a time in the mid 90's when Italy wouldn't pick players that played outside of the Serie A? I don't know if they still have that policy - it always seemed a bit arrogant to me (and pretty much put a halt to Gianfranco Zola's international career).
                          Last edited by Lex Dance; 08-12-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Hey Lex Dance. I am great. How are you? I try to be gracious in defeat. We have been very lucky in penalty shoot outs over the last 2 years, so something had to give.

I didn't see today's friendlies. I heard about Rio, but that's him for you. He can be the best defender in the world, but his injuries and lapses of concentration are showing up every now and then. England pulled it back thanks to Defoe of all people.

You do have a point about Capello's motives i guess. England are considered the favorites for the next World Cup. It's a complicated story though. He needs Beckham, but because of the age issue he probably should have given up on him. England don't have another player with his final ball. I remember what you are telling me about Italy. Back then, they didn't have many players playing outside Italy though. It was Zola and a few others. I think that now they are considered as options. Lippi has picked Giussepe Rossi and he would consider Macheda. I am glad they have become civilized in that respect.

Comment

Norway 4 - 0 Scotland

A result that will haunt me for the rest of my life!

Comment

@ Andy

I think it would be better for me to respond to you about football over in this section lol.
                                Yeah Claudio Reyna was absolutely great. We have not found a midfielder to replace everything he did on the field even though he retired from international play 3 years ago. Reyna was a beast in the 2002 World Cup. BTW I got him to autograph my copy of the 2006 World Cup video game... its one of my prized possessions. I also got an Autographed cover of FIFA 08 by cover boy Jozy Altidore. I met them when they played for the New York Red Bulls (MLS).

Man we could really be using Mo Edu right now in the qualifying he adds a stabilization to the midfield. By the way why has Edu become a fan favorite? Is it his attitude, heart, I'm just curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎