No announcement yet.

Terminator Newbie

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminator Newbie

I had never seen any of the Terminator movies until this week, so I never watched the show, but when I saw that Christian Bale is in "Terminator: Salvation", I decided it was time I caught up. I checked out "The Terminator" & "T2: Judgement Day" from the library, & I'll watch "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" when it's on TV later this week. I think it's a great story! Time Travel & changing destiny & stuff ... gotta love it!

It's good to see another convert. These movies are important to hollywood film making cause they've opened the door for other movies.

Comment

Originally posted by dunkman
      I had never seen any of the Terminator movies until this week, so I never watched the show, but when I saw that Christian Bale is in "Terminator: Salvation", I decided it was time I caught up. I checked out "The Terminator" & "T2: Judgement Day" from the library, & I'll watch "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" when it's on TV later this week. I think it's a great story! Time Travel & changing destiny & stuff ... gotta love it!
      Haha this is exactly what I've done. I've watched all three movies, and i'm three episodes into TSCC...

Not a massive fan so far, so I don't recon I ever will be. There are just so many continuity problems...

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
        There are just so many continuity problems...
        True. It is the one problem the franchise has in my opinion. Just embrace the paradox. It makes things go smoother =)

Comment

Welcome to an awesome franchise! This is what I did back when T3 was about to come out. I was kind of familiar with the movies but when I watched the first 2 I was hooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
            Haha this is exactly what I've done. I've watched all three movies, and i'm three episodes into TSCC...

Not a massive fan so far, so I don't recon I ever will be. There are just so many continuity problems...
            Timeline theory:

Only one earth, original events in the timeline were changed (altered):

In the 1980’s Sarah Connor married a soldier (no relation to the Reese family line) and had a baby his name was John Connor. In early 21st century (2000) Cyberdyne turns on their AI and Skynet is born. Skynet saw humans as a threat and decided to terminate all humans, original judgment day. John Connor who grows up to lead the Resistance (with the knowledge of warfare taught by his father). Many years later after the Resistance was established John saves Kyle Reese from the extermination camps. In 2029 Skynet knowing its destruction, in a last attempt sends a terminator to travel to 1984 to kill Sarah Connor to wipe John from existence. John Connor then decides to send Kyle to protect Sarah Connor in 84’ (before the time machine was destroyed). Which then leads to T1 and T2.

So John Connor’s original father was not Kyle Reese but someone else. The John Connor we see in T1 and T2 is from a altered timeline. When Kyle was sent to 1984 and impregnated Sarah a new John was created the John we see in T2. But then how did Kyle Reese get the picture of Sarah that we see in T1? In the 80’s Sarah traveled to mexico on a vacation to learn more about the culture and during that time the picture was taken. In this theory everytime people travel through time (and changes events in the past) a new timeline is created (like in Back to the Future), the original one ceased to exist. Which is why John Connor in Terminator Salvation says, “This is not the future my mother warned me about”. Because its not, its an altered future. If Kyle Reese 2018 (Terminator Salvation) dies John can still exist because John’s father is Kyle Reese from the original timeline.

Comment

I think the biggest problem I have with this theory is that for John Connor to be so important, to be the one that saves everybody, then he has to be Kyle's son, for two main reasons...

1. If they had succeeded in stopping Sarah from marrying this soldier you theorize, then John Connor from the future no longer exists. The complexity of what made him who he was is completely changed. You can't have her sleep with another guy and have this John Connor still be the same one... it's madness...

2. Without having traveled back in time and telling Sarah all about the future, why on earth would he have been prepared? How could he have lead an army?

For your theory to work in any way (and i'm really trying to make it because i hate it when stuff doesnt fit ) then The original JOHN CONNOR would not longer exist, and is now replaced by an entirely different man who is also called John Connor, and who may or may not save the world, but is told by his mum he has too his entire life because she thinks it's all set in stone...

Comment

I gotta be honest, I'm a pretty big Terminator newbie too. I'm pretty sure I watched one of the films before, but that was a looooooooong time ago. I really don't know a lot about everything that's happening.

So I gotta ask, is this film like a reboot? Or a sequel? Prequel? I gotta say the trailer looks fantastic, and I'm thinking of watching it, but I don't really want to be completely clueless while watching it.

Comment

It's post war. It's a movie about the war when it starts, after the bombs fall and the machines rise and start taking over. If you've seen the older movies T1-T2 before and have seen the flashbacks of the dark and dirty future war with humans fighting the machines, well this is what these new movies are going to be about. Terminator Salvation is the first movie of post war that will turn out to be a 3 part movie series to end the franchise of TERMINATOR.

By the time TERMINATOR 6 ends, we will most likely see how the whole war ends. I believe WE HUMANS win back our planet and war from the machines. Kyle said so in the first movie-T1. The only reason the machines send back their own machines in time is to change the outcome of the future post war cause they were losing the battle and wanted to send back machines to alter the futre for THEIR benefit so THEY can end up winning the battle. They still failed....machines.

Comment

Probably going to watch it this weekend! Hopefully I'll pick up quick.

Comment

How do we ever get to terminator ii.

Also not a major terminator fan but have seen them all more than once. It is easy to see that the John Conner's are halph brothers. The question for me is why send the second terminator. How did the original John Conner survive "judgement day". Could have been chance. A trip to a remote location. Right place at the right time scenario. The events of the first trip back altered events though. He thought judgement day was coming, that day came and went. He was not prepared for the new judgment day. Without the aid of the female terminator trying to kill him and Arnold his fate would have probably ended there. If he didnt survive this period how would anyone know that this is a person that needed to be targeted and terminated. That timeline was gone and there werent very many people that could know to try to get this John Conner to survive the new Judgment day. Sarah Conner, her pychiatrist, even then the terminator say that the new John is dead and that his wife, that girl in T3 sent him. Another issue I might get into is this. If you alter the time and the leader/ main person making the decisions is not following the actions of the first leader to the t how do they come across the same exact scenario. He may know who he's needs to send back to save his mother but if he doesnt do it just like his halph brother Sarah and eventually his own existence will be done. What if during one of their missions he makes a left turn instead of a right as his brother did. His father is killed, who does he send back and does this bring back the original John, or maybe a Joan, or even the death of Sarah.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎